Oceania vs Viking Oceans

sitraveler

We also had an excellent experience with AMA. One of our favorite trips was a barge cruise on French Country Waterways. Wonderfully relaxing trip and amazing food!

Agreed, and UniWorld is an absolutely first class River operation in Europe.

I've even heard that Viking River is a great product in Asia, but in Europe, no no no no no.

I've even heard that Viking River is a great product in Asia, but in Europe, no no no no no.

I have no first hand experience to contradict you on this but I just wonder why this is so - a different experience from the same company on different continents?

The same cannot be said of ocean cruises. Although the demographics on the Carib cruises are different (in general) from European and Asian cruises, the cruise line's product itself remains the same wherever the ship is sailing.

Guess we're the odd ones out -- we cruised Viking from Amsterdam to Basel last June, had no problems. Well organized, decent food (perhaps not as gourmet as Oceania, but that's not always a bad thing for a guy with simple tastes), great tours, Viking-owned docks at every port with only one-double parking, and that through an identical Viking ship, with great jollity at asking what they were having for dinner to see if we wanted to switch...

Perhaps it was because we were on one of the new Longships, just launched about 5 months earlier. The crew was efficient and happy, the cruise director was a little "over the top" which produced some snickers. We made great friends with two other couples with whom we keep in touch.

We didn't have a whole lot of choice -- this was an add-on cruise to the Oceania Marina NY to London in May, and we wanted a river cruise out of Amsterdam sometime in a 5 or 6 day window. Viking was the only one that met that schedule, with a choice of 2 different boats. We had read so many comments like the ones in this thread that we booked with some trepidation, but the experience certainly exceeded our expectations.

From everything we've been reading, our next European river cruise will most likely be on Scenic. Pretty much all-inclusive, every cabin with a balcony, a butler in every cabin (although different levels of service to different levels of cabin), and prices that seem to compete with Viking. We're booked in August, 2016 on a Scenic river cruise on the Mekong River. That boat (which will also be new that year) will have just 34 cabins (68 guests), balconies, all-inclusive excursions and alcohol, butlers and all for less than $450/day/guest including airfare from Miami to Siam Reap and from Ho Chi Minh City back top Miami. Unbeatable, especially considering the three days in the Angkor Wat area, so we won't have to spend almost $4,000 on the Oceania tour from the World Cruise.

Finally, after 4 cruises in 2 years with a 5th booked this August, the best river cruising, in my opinion, is on American Queen on American rivers.

Forgive me for continuing the hijack of the Viking Ocean discussion...

Edited by hondorner

Guess we're the odd ones out -- we cruised Viking from Amsterdam to Basel last June, had no problems. Well organized, decent food (perhaps not as gourmet as Oceania, but that's not always a bad thing for a guy with simple tastes), great tours, Viking-owned docks at every port with only one-double parking, and that through an identical Viking ship, with great jollity at asking what they were having for dinner to see if we wanted to switch...

Perhaps it was because we were on one of the new Longships, just launched about 5 months earlier. The crew was efficient and happy, the cruise director was a little "over the top" which produced some snickers. We made great friends with two other couples with whom we keep in touch.

We didn't have a whole lot of choice -- this was an add-on cruise to the Oceania Marina NY to London in May, and we wanted a river cruise out of Amsterdam sometime in a 5 or 6 day window. Viking was the only one that met that schedule, with a choice of 2 different boats. We had read so many comments like the ones in this thread that we booked with some trepidation, but the experience certainly exceeded our expectations.

From everything we've been reading, our next European river cruise will most likely be on Scenic. Pretty much all-inclusive, every cabin with a balcony, a butler in every cabin (although different levels of service to different levels of cabin), and prices that seem to compete with Viking. We're booked in August, 2016 on a Scenic river cruise on the Mekong River. That boat (which will also be new that year) will have just 34 cabins (68 guests), balconies, all-inclusive excursions and alcohol, butlers and all for less than $450/day/guest including airfare from Miami to Siam Reap and from Ho Chi Minh City back top Miami. Unbeatable, especially considering the three days in the Angkor Wat area, so we won't have to spend almost $4,000 on the Oceania tour from the World Cruise.

Finally, after 4 cruises in 2 years with a 5th booked this August, the best river cruising, in my opinion, is on American Queen on American rivers.

now that Stu and I have decided not to go to far from home anymore lets plan to do an AQ together in 16..we are all booked up with 3 cruises coming up in 15..

Jancruz1

so glad you had a good experience on Viking in Europe as we did as well...and I think that those of us who have been on this line have perhaps a better idea of what it is like than those who have "heard" something about the line!! :cool:

We did a Christmas Markets cruise in '07 and it was fantastic! Christmas Eve in Vienna ...all the great markets along the way...and a charming and fun captain who hardly spoke any English...but tried anyway...OH...and on the day of disembarkation when DH asked for an egg dish for breakfast the answer was..."Sorry"...the cook is unloading the luggage!! How fun is that?? Small, intimate and different...right up my "alley" !! I'll take Viking next time on the river...and agree that Lou and Marsha will have some good input when they come home from experiencing the ocean cruise...I do think that the review from someone who has experienced the line does outweigh all others, don't you?? And Don...do want to sail on the American Queen..have you been on more than once? What was your favorite?? LuAnn

now that Stu and I have decided not to go to far from home anymore lets plan to do an AQ together in 16..we are all booked up with 3 cruises coming up in 15..

Jancruz1

Probably have to be very late 16 or 17, world cruise will eat up first half of 16, then Mekong River cruise will take up first 2/3 of August. We also may be broke by then ;). But it is definitely a good idea!

...And Don...do want to sail on the American Queen..have you been on more than once? What was your favorite?? LuAnn

American Queen resumed operations under a new company in April, 2012, after having been laid up in repossession for several years.

All AQ cruises have a theme. We sailed a Civil War themed cruise in July, 2012, 10 days from Chattanooga to Vicksburg, on the Tennessee, Cumberland, Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Unfortunately, that was when low water on the lower Mississippi held us in Memphis. We were going to be bused to Vicksburg, but that was the weekend Hurricane Isaac decided to come up the Mississippi Valley:rolleyes:.

We were already booked on the following cruise, 8 days from Vicksburg to Louisville (themed as Lincoln and the Civil War) , so we stayed 3 days in Memphis, then sailed on to Louisville. AQ handled the problems with finesse -- adding a port to each of the cruises (otherwise we would have been stuck in Memphis 5 days) and offering significant financial credit -- in cash, not future cruise credit...

However, we chose to use it as FCC, left it in place, which paid most of a 5 day cruise in 2013 from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh. We were really fortunate to meet CinciPam and her husband in Cincinnati (AQ always lays on a pre-cruise hotel) and they ushered us around town. I'm from a small town on the Ohio River just west of Pittsburgh (Bellevue), and my Dad used to take me to the nearby Emsworth Locks around 1948 to see the steamboats lock thru (and the steam locomotives fly by along the river). I vowed then I wanted to ride on one of those paddlewheel steamboats, and 65 years later, I got to sail thru those Emsworth locks! That one was themed Big Band.

Then, in December, 2014, even though it was just a few weeks until the World Cruise was due to sail, we received a great Past Guest offer from AQ to sail on a Christmas theme cruise round trip from New Orleans on the lower Mississippi, including several antebellum mansions decorated for Christmas, St. Francisville, Natchez, Vicksburg (finally got there!), and Baton Rouge. We swung the same offer for our closest friends, and they joined us on their first ever cruise. They booked another before disembarking.

Then, disaster -- we arrived home from that cruise on December 23, and tht same day received an email from Oceania that our World Cruise departure was canceled. We chose the option of waiting another year until the 2016 WC. Our 50th anniversary will be August of 2015, and we both have milestone birthdays (OK, 75) this year, and the WC was to be our celebration. It still will be, belatedly, but we added another AQ cruise in late August this year, round trip from St. Louis on a Mark Twain theme cruise on the Upper Mississippi for our 50th anniversary.

I know a couple of crew members on the new Viking and at least they will make sure you have the best experience ever. I am curious to see reviews. They went through a pretty intensive training before the first sailing.

American Queen resumed operations under a new company in April, 2012, after having been laid up in repossession for several years.

All AQ cruises have a theme. We sailed a Civil War themed cruise in July, 2012, 10 days from Chattanooga to Vicksburg, on the Tennessee, Cumberland, Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Unfortunately, that was when low water on the lower Mississippi held us in Memphis. We were going to be bused to Vicksburg, but that was the weekend Hurricane Isaac decided to come up the Mississippi Valley:rolleyes:.

We were already booked on the following cruise, 8 days from Vicksburg to Louisville (themed as Lincoln and the Civil War) , so we stayed 3 days in Memphis, then sailed on to Louisville. AQ handled the problems with finesse -- adding a port to each of the cruises (otherwise we would have been stuck in Memphis 5 days) and offering significant financial credit -- in cash, not future cruise credit...

However, we chose to use it as FCC, left it in place, which paid most of a 5 day cruise in 2013 from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh. We were really fortunate to meet CinciPam and her husband in Cincinnati (AQ always lays on a pre-cruise hotel) and they ushered us around town. I'm from a small town on the Ohio River just west of Pittsburgh (Bellevue), and my Dad used to take me to the nearby Emsworth Locks around 1948 to see the steamboats lock thru (and the steam locomotives fly by along the river). I vowed then I wanted to ride on one of those paddlewheel steamboats, and 65 years later, I got to sail thru those Emsworth locks! That one was themed Big Band.

Then, in December, 2014, even though it was just a few weeks until the World Cruise was due to sail, we received a great Past Guest offer from AQ to sail on a Christmas theme cruise round trip from New Orleans on the lower Mississippi, including several antebellum mansions decorated for Christmas, St. Francisville, Natchez, Vicksburg (finally got there!), and Baton Rouge. We swung the same offer for our closest friends, and they joined us on their first ever cruise. They booked another before disembarking.

Then, disaster -- we arrived home from that cruise on December 23, and tht same day received an email from Oceania that our World Cruise departure was canceled. We chose the option of waiting another year until the 2016 WC. Our 50th anniversary will be August of 2015, and we both have milestone birthdays (OK, 75) this year, and the WC was to be our celebration. It still will be, belatedly, but we added another AQ cruise in late August this year, round trip from St. Louis on a Mark Twain theme cruise on the Upper Mississippi for our 50th anniversary.

You really have had many experiences with the AQ line! They all sound super...especially the Xmas one!! Will have to look into that for a future cruise! I have followed your re-booking of the WC and will look forward to your reviews/postings! Still need to get on a "boat" with you all!! LuAnn

Back to Viking for a bit ...

We did an Amsterdam-Basel cruise in Oct '03 and a China trip in May '08, and loved them both. Then we were with Jan on a French B2B in early 2012 and we very disappointed. In fact, one of the boats we were on in 2012 was the same one we were on in '03, so clearly we haven't been on any of the new ships.

But the staff was very overwhelmed in 2012 ... five wait staff for 150 passengers just doesn't cut it.

We haven't been back ... but never say never. I'll be interested to hear what Lou and Marsha have to say as well.

Mura

We went on two Viking trips last year. First was China and then we did the Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremberg). We actually enjoyed both trips very much and thought Viking did a very good job overall. We are booked to go on the new Viking Star (ocean cruise) in September and are going on our first Oceania cruise in two weeks. So, I will report back afterwards and let everyone know how they went. :)

Keep in mind that the comments made about Viking Star were from the first 10 days of cruising (or 16 if you count the second segment in progress), and many of the comments are from about 10 of the same people. A few of them seem to be newbies to ocean cruising, and that may have made their expectations too high. I would love to hear what the other 920 people thought. Most have been non-posters, unfortunately, so we'll never know. I've never been on a maiden cruise of a new line and ship, but I really felt that some of the people who were posting were being too rough on Viking. A lot of the reported “problems” appear to be due to inadequate training, which can be fixed. Some stuff (TVs that don’t work) aren’t exactly good but for some of us, not a big deal. Other stuff sounds trivial, but then I've never cared that much about exercise classes, spa treatments, tea and scones, etc. I don't sweat the small stuff, so I'm sure I'll have a good time come late September.

I love Oceania, but I plan to go on the Star with an open mind. While Viking definitely modeled some things after O, it’s not just an O knockoff and never will be. Mr. Viking his own vision. I'm also going to remind myself that it took Oceania a few YEARS to turn into the absolutely fabulous line it is now. It gets better every year, but I bet the first 10 days of its existence weren’t completely smooth sailing. The comments coming in after only ten days of sailing with a new crew, ship, and line (and yes, an ocean line is quite different from a river line) just aren't giving me enough information to say if I will love Viking Star or only enjoy it. If nothing else, though, the itineraries are good (port-intensive - yay!) By the way, I don't think that Viking is completely mass market in terms of where they go. One port on our itinerary is Pula, Croatia, a place that few cruise ships visit. I'm really looking forward to it, as I always like the smaller, lesser-known places.

It will be interesting to hear from more people, later on, which is exactly what I'm hoping to be able to do. I've stopped reading the Viking posts but will go back in July or August. Then if I need to add something to my packing list, or lower my expectations, I'll do it. No big deal. I'll still get to see Venice, Istanbul, and places in between, which is the primary reason I chose to cruise in the first place.

I wish Viking success. Competition and choice are usually good things, after all!

Carol, I think you're on my cruise, so we can compare notes - Viking versus O! I've done 4 or 5 Viking River cruises (including China, where Viking holds your hand very tightly the whole time) and enjoyed them quite a bit. I've also done 9 Oceania cruises, and they are just the best! Come on September.....I'm ready to roll!

Edited by roothy123

Viking has lots to learn , but after 2weeks Viking is making progress and will learn as time passes.

Their included excursions have been very well put together, efficiently dispatched and completed as described.

The optional excursions, with limited exceptions, are reasonably priced and well thought out.

We also did some independent excursions and they worked out well.

Their food is overly salted but that will change I am sure. They figured out water should be near the gangplank, not tour dispatch. We only had 2seadays in 2 weeks.

Tea is not high tea. Trivia a small activity with no prizes. Very little logo mdse.

Another week before we are home.

Riviera is tendering here in Monte Carlo, VS is docked.

Viking has lots to learn , but after 2weeks Viking is making progress and will learn as time passes.

Their included excursions have been very well put together, efficiently dispatched and completed as described.

The optional excursions, with limited exceptions, are reasonably priced and well thought out.

We also did some independent excursions and they worked out well.

Their food is overly salted but that will change I am sure. They figured out water should be near the gangplank, not tour dispatch. We only had 2seadays in 2 weeks.

Tea is not high tea. Trivia a small activity with no prizes. Very little logo mdse.

Another week before we are home.

Riviera is tendering here in Monte Carlo, VS is docked.

Thanks so much for checking in...can't wait for a further "dispatch"...and...of course...to sail with you all again!!! LuAnn

We've been on Oceania 3 times, Viking River twice and are about to go on Viking Oceans.

Our experience so far with Viking oceans hasn't been great. Because it's a port intensive Baltic cruise and because it's the inaugural season with possible glitches we booked the lowest balcony level - in May 2013. At the time of booking our TA said it was flexible dining as in Oceania but somehow it got switched to fixed without anyone being told and later we found out that the lowest balcony level passengers are not permitted to book any restaurants. So it looked as if we would just have to twiddle our thumbs and wait for tables to open up since there was no open seating except in the cafeteria.

Naturally we were very annoyed since had we known in advance we would have booked a higher level cabin or chosen another line.

After they set sail earlier this month apparently there must have been a lot of hitches because there are now posts to the effect that they have gone to flexible.

We still cannot book any specialty restaurants ( last time on Oceania we were able to book at least once in advance in each specialty restaurant - maybe because of concierge level - not sure about that).

We have also had problems with their site - a few computer glitches re the included excursions - took several phone calls. Others had similar problems.

Finally we have just found out that instead of 2 days in Oslo in our paid extension we have to stay over in Bergen for an extra night (even though we will already have been there on the ship and done a walking tour) and that we will have little time in Oslo.

Very disappointing. I wish we had booked independently

The Viking people have not been helpful either directly and they even snubbed our TA which she found very surprising.

We are quite apprehensive about this cruise and just hope it all works out.

At the moment in the bottom balcony class we are feeling like unwashed plebs.... and that is a new and unpleasant experience.

The Viking Oceans thread has a lot of comments - positive and negative - worth reading.

At the moment I must say I wish we had booked Oceania instead of Viking Oceans but I will post here again after our cruise at the end of May (ends mid June).

The one thing I really didn't like on Oceania was the excursion desk which we rated very low because of all the problems with organizing tenders (and we had several of them)....so there are some glitches with Oceania too....but everything else outweighed that inconvenience

To me the most important part of any cruise line is the software, the crew and staff and attitude toward making the client happy. Oceania excels at this. The hardware on Viking Oceans, the ship itself, seems very nice but if I'm having to deal with what has been described here I would jump ship. Seems like Viking has built a beautiful ship only to import its river cruise mentality to the high seas.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone been reading about the nightmare called the Viking Star? Mechanical problems for the last 8 days and now underway with tug in tow. The tug (I assume) is a safety net as the ship is moving with "restricted maneuverability."

We researched the Viking Star prior to booking our Baltic Marvels cruise. Good thing we live a charmed life our we could be living this nightmare first hand.

I was going to try them but after this business I never would. I was not involved in the fire however from what I read here Oceania did 1000% better in Takeing care of the passangers.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I was going to try them but after this business I never would. I was not involved in the fire however from what I read here Oceania did 1000% better in Takeing care of the passangers.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I was on Insignia during the fire and can't help but comparing how much better Oceania did in a difficult situation. I also can't believe an apparently still wounded ship is going to Copenhagen, supposedly starting her next cruise Monday (2 days after the original embarkation date) with no word from the company what is the plan. They did give a chance to cancel with full refund....but, left open an option of going forward with a shortened cruise, starting in 1 and 1/2 days.

Hopefully, they have some great ship engineers in Copenhagen that can get this baby moving in a hurry.

The previous cruise seemed to be marked by a series of bad and inconsistent decisions by management, which ultimately turned the situation into a fiasco.

Edited by buggins0402

Looks now like they have gotten the Star fixed. She's running at a more normal speed and the tug that had been shadowing her since Tallin did a 180 back to Tallin. Appears now that she'll make Copenahgen in time to embark passengers for the shortened cruise. I'm sure that will make the cruisers that decided to go forward pleased.

And, I'll take back the harsh words of my previous statement regarding VO's plans regarding the next cruise. Right now, it seems they got this part heading in the right direction.

Has anyone been reading about the nightmare called the Viking Star? Mechanical problems for the last 8 days and now underway with tug in tow. The tug (I assume) is a safety net as the ship is moving with "restricted maneuverability."

We researched the Viking Star prior to booking our Baltic Marvels cruise. Good thing we live a charmed life our we could be living this nightmare first hand.

I wouldn't exactly call it a "nightmare" with "tug in tow" and "mechanical problems for the last 8 days." She is cruising, with no tug in sight, and at 14.5 knots, toward Copenhagen. I don't know if the repair of the part was done while she sat in Tallinn or will be done in CPH, but I certainly don't call this a nightmare. At least her electricity and engines were working, unlike the Carnival ship that kept her passengers on board with rotting food and overflowing toilets! That, plus the Costa Concordia's ill-fated running aground as a result of a captain's attempt to show off might be worthy of the term "nightmare." However, I feel your terminology is a bit off base for the Star. Please don't scare people more than they already are. This is a new ship, with new technology for a cruise ship, with less than 4 months of service. Stuff happens, especially to new ships.

As for others' comments about Oceania - I agree. They are top notch. However, they weren't nearly as top notch when we cruised with them years ago. They have gotten better every year. They also had existing ships to use, so they had a head start over Viking. If you want perfection right off the bat, I would NOT book a new line and new ship its first year of service. No ship is immune to mechanical problems, even Oceania. We cruised Oceania Insignia a few months before the fire. The fire brought home that even a top notch line like O can have its problems. A fire is certainly a bit closer to a "nightmare" than a ship that has to cancel cruises due to an electrical issue that restricts their top speed. Let's give Viking a chance here. As for right now, she's headed to Copenhagen at 14.5 knots. Let's not spoil things for her next passengers.

Edited by roothy123

Looks now like they have gotten the Star fixed. She's running at a more normal speed and the tug that had been shadowing her since Tallin did a 180 back to Tallin. Appears now that she'll make Copenahgen in time to embark passengers for the shortened cruise. I'm sure that will make the cruisers that decided to go forward pleased.

And, I'll take back the harsh words of my previous statement regarding VO's plans regarding the next cruise. Right now, it seems they got this part heading in the right direction.

Sorry, I think we posted at the same time, or else I didn't read your comments before posting, so mine are a bit repetitive. I'm glad you're taking back your harsh words! After all, those folks are probably staying in great hotels while in CPH, and enjoying the same tours they would if the ship were there. We once experienced a glitch on a Viking River Cruise due to unusually low river levels. I can tell you that they put us in a wonderful hotel, bussed us to two ports we couldn't visit by ship, and took care of everything. It wasn't ideal, but when mother nature plays a trick on you, what can you do? When a part on a new ship fails, what can you do? You have to shut down the ship and handle things as best you can! Some people won't be happy, but many others will understand and deal with it. We chose to deal with it. The biggest problem for me on the Viking cruise was ending up in a city I knew nothing about - but it turned out to be a pretty nice one, so it was fine!

Edited by roothy123

Sorry, I think we posted at the same time, or else I didn't read your comments before posting, so mine are a bit repetitive. I'm glad you're taking back your harsh words! After all, those folks are probably staying in great hotels while in CPH, and enjoying the same tours they would if the ship were there.

You may waqnt to read the thread on the Viking Oceans forum

some got to stay in hotels in Bergen some got sent home from Tallin

The new cruise who knows where they are staying some did their own air & hotels in Bergen they arrived early which was suppose to be the embarkation port today

The cruise is now embarking in Copenhagen so whether they will be flown or bussed to CPN ???

Edited by LHT28

You may waqnt to read the thread on the Viking Oceans forum

some got to stay in hotels in Bergen some got sent home from Tallin

The new cruise who knows where they are staying some did their own air & hotels in Bergen they arrived early which was suppose to be the embarkation port today

The cruise is now embarking in Copenhagen so whether they will be flown or bussed to CPN ???

And, for the previous cruise had they just come back with a 100% refund, management would have been in control of the situation, even if it meant everyone sat in Tallin (on a nice ship) until they could get them to their disembarkation airport. Not happy, but compensated.

They just kept flipping plans on bad information (ship could be fixed in 2 days, finding out too late there were not enough hotel rooms in Bergen).

Edited by buggins0402