Voyager Class vs. Freedom Class

Hi. I just booked a cruise for next year on the Freedom of the Seas (Freedom Class). I have been on three cruises on the Voyager Class (2 on Explorer and 1 on Mariner) looking at everything they both have to offer, they look similar - except the Freedom class is a larger boat AND it offers the FlowRider. Is there anything else that I will be wowed away with?

Don't get me wrong, I love Royal Caribbean and am ALWAYS wowed away, but just wondering if this will be just a larger version of the Explorer and Mariner, which I have been on.

Thanks for any information.

Freedom class is basically a stretched Voyager class. Plus, with the refits of Voyager getting the Flowrider installed (currently Voyager, Explorer, and Navigator), there is less difference than before. Besides the hot tubs mentioned by Ryano above, Freedom class has the kiddie pool area (H2O Zone) on the pool deck and Sorrento's pizza on the Royal Promenade.

If you enjoyed Voyager class, you'll most likely enjoy Freedom class as well.

Freedom is almost identical in layout, but larger with some additions. If you know your way around a Voyager class, you'll ease right into a Freedom class ship.

Freedom is our favorite ship class so far. Although haven't been on Oasis class yet.

Hi. I just booked a cruise for next year on the Freedom of the Seas (Freedom Class). I have been on three cruises on the Voyager Class (2 on Explorer and 1 on Mariner) looking at everything they both have to offer, they look similar - except the Freedom class is a larger boat AND it offers the FlowRider. Is there anything else that I will be wowed away with?

Don't get me wrong, I love Royal Caribbean and am ALWAYS wowed away, but just wondering if this will be just a larger version of the Explorer and Mariner, which I have been on.

I've found Freedom Class to be more crowded than Voyager Class as much of the public space is relatively equal but with more passengers. I suspect now with Freedom's added cabins it could be worse. I noticed the added crowding to Voyager Class on the refurbed Navigator last year with her added cabins.

Congratulations on booking the Freedom for 2016. We are booked on it for 2016 already and I just booked us on it for 2017 as well (we love her sister ships the Independence and the Liberty). I am not sure who you may sail with, but the Dreamworks characters are on the Freedom as well as the 3D movies in the theatre.

I do not know what type of cabin you normally book, but we just grabbed one of the new panoramic view cabins on deck 12 that were just added in drydock. My DW and I have no need for the balcony since we like to be around others on the ship and not isolated, but she loves a window. The ones on deck 12 are floor to ceiling windows for basically the same price as a regular oceanview.

• 2 weeks later...
Congratulations on booking the Freedom for 2016. We are booked on it for 2016 already and I just booked us on it for 2017 as well (we love her sister ships the Independence and the Liberty). I am not sure who you may sail with, but the Dreamworks characters are on the Freedom as well as the 3D movies in the theatre.

I do not know what type of cabin you normally book, but we just grabbed one of the new panoramic view cabins on deck 12 that were just added in drydock. My DW and I have no need for the balcony since we like to be around others on the ship and not isolated, but she loves a window. The ones on deck 12 are floor to ceiling windows for basically the same price as a regular oceanview.

We also just snagged 1802 on Freedom for March 18, 2017. Were just in a Family Promenade with 5 of us and next up will only be 3, so have a better selection of cabins to pick from. We were originally booked in 8214 for 3/17, but was online last night and found that we could switch to 1802 for $80 total additional, so we went for it.

What cabin #'s are the panoramic view? I called to inquire about them and get price and was told there were no "panoramic view" cabins on the Freedom.

What cabin #'s are the panoramic view? I called to inquire about them and get price and was told there were no "panoramic view" cabins on the Freedom.

You can see the Category "F" (Panoramic OV) staterooms here:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/decks/FR/2015-may/fr_deck12_v2015_may.pdf

They are on deck 12. There are a few cabin category F that are NOT panoramic view. I was booked in one on deck 8 on Freedom until we changed it to a panoramic. 8214 is a cat F and so is its twin on the port side.

All those new deck 12 Panoramic OV cabins have now been reclassified to P2 cabins just like Navigator. The only ones that are not P2 are the larger 1814 (accessible) and 1864 which are P1. The two family panoramic oceanviews are PF.

They are no longer category F. :) Of course with this new category comes new pricing. A lot of times a balcony is less expensive!

Edited by ryano

You made a wonderful choice! Friends of mine that went on Freedom last month with me had 1870 and it was WONDERFUL! I was able to get inside it even though Im in a wheelchair. Very very nice cabins :) They still smell brand new!

We've cruised Freedom class 3x and Voyager 1x. We liked all the cruises, ships were great. However, as has been said, Freedoms are more crowded. You need to plan buffet times to avoid busy breakfast and lunch times, maybe use room service or dining room? Also adult pool area, Solarium, was crowded so loungers went fast. On sea days you need to be there by 9am to get a lounger. But flowrider and large hot tubs were cool!

The Canitilevered hot tubs in the solarium are IMO cool. I also line the larger solarium and pool there. I also think the snack bar seating in Freedom's windjammer gives if the best seating/passenger ratio.

Not much difference between the 2, Freedom has one of the best crews in the RCL fleet, of course that can change.

The best RCL class is the Radiance Class, lots of wood, lots of great ocean viewing areas, not too big, not too small, just a lot of class!:D

My review of the Freedom of the Seas (I was on the ship last month) has lots of pictures. Here is a link to the review ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203566

With the longer ship they added the "on air" kareoke club near studio B. The longer promenade will have more shops (Ben and Jerry's). The gym is larger. The solarium pool has a nice curved bridge over the pool. Lots of enhancements

Ship_5337_zpsx6lyb3ak.jpg

Ship_5338_zpsgfpgn3ud.jpg

Ship_5339_zpsojwpr7si.jpg

We also just snagged 1802 on Freedom for March 18, 2017. Were just in a Family Promenade with 5 of us and next up will only be 3, so have a better selection of cabins to pick from. We were originally booked in 8214 for 3/17, but was online last night and found that we could switch to 1802 for $80 total additional, so we went for it.

Does it look anything like this ...

Cab_5073_zpstahvsh2u.jpg

Cab_5074_zps3khdscot.jpg

Cab_5075_zpsrrisxghy.jpg

Does it look anything like this ...

Cab_5073_zpstahvsh2u.jpg

Cab_5074_zps3khdscot.jpg

Cab_5075_zpsrrisxghy.jpg

Since I've never seen it in person, I guess so! Thanks for snapping those pics. These are the first pics I've seen of the new cabins