Why do people use the StairMaster machine in the Gym onboard?

NavyCruiser

Really? You'd be fine with me sweating and huffing and puffing up the public stairs in front of you just so I can work out?

Also, out of curiosity, what even made you think of this?

Edited by TomAceEsq

The VIEW is much much better in the gym. Nothing like working out looking into that beautiful blue horizon.

But, perhaps your point might be that taking the stairs is good exercise? Sure it is! Those that regularly use the gym likely take the stairs too :)

It's also up all the time.

The best real stairs can do is something like 15-16 flights and then all the way back down.

Going down is still exercise. It burns less calories than going up but it actually works the muscles in slightly different ways. Going up emphasizes the contraction and release of the impacted muscles and going down emphasizes the lengthening and braking.

Going down is still exercise. It burns less calories than going up but it actually works the muscles in slightly different ways. Going up emphasizes the contraction and release of the impacted muscles and going down emphasizes the lengthening and braking.

It is, but in deference to other guests and the want to constantly climb for 40 min, the machines seem to be a better solution.

When they can just walk up & down the ship's stairs...?

well for many people its the ability to do so without having wait for slow pokes like myself who cannot do stairs very well at all( I literally go down them sideways with both hands on the rail)

for others who the hell wants to make a quick hard turn every few steps?!

or maybe they just want a greater resistance than just normal gravity.

or maybe they want to take the time to glance through a magazine , or listen to music and can do so safely that way

or maybe they want to experience a sunrise as they work out.( the gym usually has the second best view on the ship)

It is, but in deference to other guests and the want to constantly climb for 40 min, the machines seem to be a better solution.

Completely true. But people on cruise ships don't seem to know that the stairs exist. :D

I ask a similar question about those who walk on treadmills when there is an outside walking track (weather permitting, or course)

Or else the rowing machine when they could go down to deck 1 and join the slaves and help move the boat faster.

DON

I used to wonder the same thing about the people using treadmills until I finally gave them a try. Now I frequently enjoy using them early in the morning to walk a couple of miles. I still get plenty of steps the rest of the day.

When they can just walk up & down the ship's stairs...?

You get all sorts in the Gym on the ship, its safe to say some are hardcore fitness ( like me ) that you see in the landbased, I also see some newbies.. funny, I think I was crazy on my last cruise doing two a days to enable my over indulgence :D

Regardless for both treadmill and stairs, eliptical the most obvious:

The serious ones that want to go fast/hard it much easier & safer to control situation and get the right workout without the variables of obstacles and turns you get on deck or stairs.

I ask a similar question about those who walk on treadmills when there is an outside walking track (weather permitting, or course)

Because I can quit walking whenever I get tired and be right where I want to be. Instead of getting tired at THAT end of the ship when I need to be at the OTHER end! :)

Too many people are doing leisurely strolls, walking side by side on the walking track so they can have a conversation, with no consideration for those of us who are actually trying to jog or power walk. Trying to dodge them got really old the few times I tried the outside track.

Too many people are doing leisurely strolls, walking side by side on the walking track so they can have a conversation, with no consideration for those of us who are actually trying to jog or power walk. Trying to dodge them got really old the few times I tried the outside track.

In addition to this, some tracks have a lot of turns, which are hard on the inside hip/knee/ankle. On most running tracks you can safely change direction halfway through your run to avoid this problem, but ships generally don't look favourably upon this practice. It's also hard to fall into your pace when you're always dodging others or negotiating corners. Treadmills also let you do a great hill workout :).

Personally I try and find somewhere safe in port to run, but being from Canada I don't always deal with the Caribbean heat well when I've been running in -20C at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk