Emerald vs Royal/Regal - Pools & MDR Food

CarolRoy

Trying to decide between the Emerald or Royal/Regal for a Caribbean cruise in Oct/Nov.

How does the pools (size and # of pools) compare? Are there adult only pool areas?

Also how is the food in the MDR?

We were on the Island Princess last year for Alaska cruise/tour and did not care for the food on the Island Princess.

Food will depend on the Chef in the galley of each of the ships. They move from ship to ship from time to time.

Our experience on both ships has been good.:)

The Emerald has more pools.The Royal has 2 larger pools and one small pool. The Retreat pool is adults only. The Regal has the same but with an aft dipping pool added. The Terrace pool (aft) and Spa pool(forward) on Emerald are adults only. The Calypso and Neptune pools mid ship are for all.

We are sailing the Regal again this winter.:)

Food will depend on the Chef

So true...we find the food to be good, except once the Executive Chef (from Scotland; I forget the name & ship) did not run a very good operation.

Steve

If outdoor spaces are your priority (pool areas, promenade, cabin balconies), then Emerald should be your choice. If interior spaces are more important, then Royal/Regal should be your choice. Royal/Regal will have more dining options (such as Alfredo's and a seafood bar that Emerald does not have). But the quality of the food does not really depend on the name of the ship but rather the staff in the galley. And that is always subject to change.

Here are two somewhat recent threads covering the same topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2185505

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2174064

Edited by JimmyVWine

For sailing the Caribbean I would recommend the Emerald, more outdoor space, and different ambience at each pool. The Royal has the retreat pool but you'll do well getting a seat there. The Royal is a nicer ship finish wise but once that wow has gone to me it's not a step forward.

The Emerald has four distinct pool areas, each with its own function. There is the MUTS (movies under the stars) pool with the big screen TV. It's a large pool. There is another large pool with music. The AFT pool is smaller and has a good bar scene going on and great views. The other pool is the one outside the gym area. It has the swim against the tide machine at one end and some nice cushioned lounge chairs that are hard to get unless you get up early. Royal/Regal has the two pools.

If I had a choice, I would go Ruby/Emerald/Crown over Royal/Regal.

Edited by hubofhockey

How does the pools (size and # of pools) compare? Are there adult only pool areas?

I much prefer the open deck spaces and pool areas on Emerald...that is, assuming it's the same as on Ruby. Most of all, I love that aft pool that doesn't even exist on Royal and is a joke on Regal.

Food...whatever...as mentioned, that can change frequently. However, as for the venues themselves, I think the MDR on Regal was far nicer and a lot less cramped than on Ruby and Caribbean (and assumably Emerald).

Good luck with your choice. :)

Honestly, the pool area on Royal/Regal are a bit of a backslide from earlier designs, but they are functional. For example, the fountain wastes a lot of otherwise usable space.

Food wise, as noted, really depends on the EC. That said, the Royal and Regal have differently designed galleys that I really think help them deliver a better preparation (more stations designed/dedicated for a la minute cooking - A point Chef Lisner was very very proud to tell us). So I think the Rs have a POTENTIAL to be better than the emerald given the same staff.

It's worth nothing that the buffet on the R+Rs are FAR and away better than the rest of the fleet.

We sailed the Emerald this year and the Royal last year. I prefer the pools of the Emerald, less crowded at each pool since there is more than one area. I prefer the Horizon court on the Royal, it was amazing compared to the Emerald Horizon Court. The dining room food was about the same on each ship. I know that many also talk about the lack of mid stairwells and promenade deck on the Royal, but don't let that scare you away from the ship because there are so many other positives to the ship. I would go on the ship with the itinerary or pricing that fits you the best. You will have a great cruise on either ship!

If you didn't like the food on the Island, odds are that you won't like the food on any Princess ships. Although chefs and galley staff do change, the quality varies somewhat, but not by much.

I will have to agree with you on that.

Trying to decide between the Emerald or Royal/Regal for a Caribbean cruise in Oct/Nov.

We were on the Island Princess last year for Alaska cruise/tour and did not care for the food on the Island Princess.

Not even a matter for discussion. Book the Emerald.....:):):)

Bob

Isn't Emerald Princess 'going away' after this final season (Winter 2015/16) in the Caribbean? If you're dying to try her, book it. It'll be your last chance. Regal Princess and Royal Princess will be around for many wonderful years to come. ;)

:D

I'll actually disagree a bit.

We cruised on the Coral..Food was average at best, filled us up but nothing to write home about and a few disappointing meals.

2 years later on the Island, which has effectively the exact same equipment, etc, we could not WAIT for dinner each night in the MDR. The food was outstanding.

The difference was clearly the staff. Met the ECs on both cruises. Cannot recall the name on the Coral. Still hope to get Chef Bolis again on a future cruise. The MD and Headwaiters can affect quality too (by affecting service). Same thing, cannot recall the MD on the Coral, MD Ghennai was incredible and it showed in their team.

The staff is the single most important factor, bar none, in quality and that can and will vary a lot between ships.

For the record, on our last cruise on the Royal, I'd call it average to good. And I'd say the same thing about the EC.

If you didn't like the food on the Island, odds are that you won't like the food on any Princess ships. Although chefs and galley staff do change, the quality varies somewhat, but not by much.

OP here. We went with the Emerald. Liked the deck layout for the pools. We have been on the Carnival Breeze and thought is was too crowded on the pool decks as were the pools. Did not want to chance it with the Royal.

Also we had a really good rate for the Royal (10 day) that was same fare per day rate for the Emerald (7 day). Did not care for the ports that the Royal was doing compared to the Emerald. Maybe one day we will try the Royal or Regal but not this cruise.

Thanks all for your input.

When it come to dining, staff matters more than ship, I'd guess. The first time we were on the Star, the food was so-so. Then we sailed her when the line's chef de cuisine, Alfredo Marzi (as in "Alfredo's") was aboard, and the MDR food was as good as Princess MDR food gets. ON the other hand, the Chef's Table, which he attended, was IMO less outstanding then the other Chef's Table we'd attended. Go figure.

Here are some 'visuals' for you...these are from Ruby Princess, but Emerald Princess is, for the most part, exactly identical in every aspect:

Wow!!! You pictures are amazing . You capture the best out of all the details love them.

Sea ya

Food will depend on the Chef in the galley of each of the ships. They move from ship to ship from time to time.

Our experience on both ships has been good.:)

The Emerald has more pools.The Royal has 2 larger pools and one small pool. The Retreat pool is adults only. The Regal has the same but with an aft dipping pool added. The Terrace pool (aft) and Spa pool(forward) on Emerald are adults only. The Calypso and Neptune pools mid ship are for all.

We are sailing the Regal again this winter.:)

Done the Royal and love every minute of it but the only downside was the pool area. Will be doing the Emerald in August will come back and give u details if you want :-)

Sea ya

Eric

Wow!!! You pictures are amazing . You capture the best out of all the details love them.

Sea ya

I'm glad you enjoyed them! I do love taking pictures, and (unfortunately ;)) spend most of my 'vacation' viewing it through my iPhone screen as I'm snapping 2000+ pictures. lol At least I'll have the memories to look at once my mind has forgotten the details - which I'm already heading that way. :eek:;)

P.S. Here are my a couple of my albums from Royal Princess...