Very Sad, Allure Viking Crown Changes

After reading this thread, it appears that RCCL is going to change the VC venue for all of their ships. Disappointed, but it is what it is. :cool: [/color][/size][/font]

Im not sure how they could even possibly do that on ships which have had the two story Nightclubs removed and the VCL is now the nightly "disco".

Another thing I noticed on my last cruise on Freedom is that the VCL was very much being utilized every time I went up there no matter what time of day it was.

So maybe some of you who are in the upper loyalty tiers can explain to me why they offer things to "suite" and "Pinnacle" guests? IF you have enough money to reserve a suite, could you not get a suite on your very first sailing? You might not have any points at all, but you share the lounge with those who are Pinnacle members? How do the Suite guests feel about this? How to Pinnacle members feel?

Why do they offer things? $$$$ of course. Yes you can get a suite on your 1st sailing. Sharing the lounge with Suite and Pinnacle is no big deal. One way or the other, everyone has earned the right to be there.

I know JS are hardly included in any "suite" benefits, other than having a larger stateroom. JS cruisers don't get much in the way of perks. Do you even get double points for booking a suite? I thought you did, but was recently told that was not the case.
JS cruisers get some nice perks - just not the FULL suite perks. They get priority check in, double points and some really nice real estate in the cabin. The closet and bathtub are the greatest benefits to that cabin IMHO.

On every ship we have been on, the VCL was the most under utilized waste of space. I can certainly understand why Royal has found a way to make it work. I will say once Navigator changed the Crypt disco to Sabor and moved the evening disco up there, it worked nicely. The VCL is being changed for suites on Oasis class only. All other classes still have it!

After reading this thread, it appears that RCCL is going to change the VC venue for all of their ships. Disappointed, but it is what it is. :cool:

Im not sure how they could even possibly do that on ships which have had the two story Nightclubs removed and the VCL is now the nightly "disco".

I agree with Ryano. I think the VCL to Suite Lounge/Coastal Kitchen conversion will only happen on the Oasis class. They are removing the deck 3/4 nightclub on most of the Voyager and Freedom class ships and making the VCL the night club on those ships.

Allure does not have Dynamic Dining.

I believe this (sadly) is coming, based on the pictures I have seen with the recent Allure dry-dock, Dining Room Conversion. The pictures I have seen, show the same restaurants as with Quantum.

It does not have Dynamic Dining yet. It has had the conversion work done to implement Dynamic Dining sometime in the future.

I am of the opinion that they will not change it to dynamic.... maybe some sort of mix, but I doubt a full blown Dynamic. If they do, I wont sail on her again. :(

S

I know JS are hardly included in any "suite" benefits, other than having a larger stateroom. JS cruisers don't get much in the way of perks. Do you even get double points for booking a suite? I thought you did, but was recently told that was not the case.

You get double points for JS or higher...the only exception seems to be "IF" you take a RCL upsell on a JS or higher they will not give you double points...if this was not what happened to you, call Crown & Anchor & get the double points applied...

The pendulum has swung too far!

All the added benefits for suite guests means a reduction of benefits for loyal D+ guests.

The former Concierge Lounge on Oasis (and now Allure) is an example. Previously, D+, as well as Pinnacle and Suite, could enjoy wonderful hot breakfasts and lunches in the lounge. That is now gone as the CL has been repurposed to a "Diamond Lounge," adding to overcrowding because of the much larger number of Diamonds.

As I say, the pendulum has swung too far. Yes, suite guests are paying more, but they are enjoying MUCH LARGER STATEROOMS, and all the stateroom amenities that go with them. I thought that was the main reason to book a suite. Some of these guests will NEVER sail RCCL again. Meanwhile, those who have been totally loyal to RCCL and have booked 30-60 cruises are being shunted aside!

Edited by yogimax

The former Concierge Lounge on Oasis (and now Allure) is an example. Previously, D+, as well as Pinnacle and Suite, could enjoy wonderful hot breakfasts and lunches in the lounge. That is now gone as the CL has been repurposed to a "Diamond Lounge," adding to overcrowding because of the much larger number of Diamonds.

On the April TA on Allure...Chops was reserved for the D+ and Pinnacle breakfast location (I think Suite guests too?). The Viking Crown Lounge was under construction and not open for anyone on that sailing.

There's plenty of places on Allure to do that....and we'll be doing it ourselves in a few days. ;):cool:

Where else can you go to get a 210 degree view of the ocean while enjoying AC out of the wind:confused:

No, only Oasis and Allure have restricted access to VC.

And the Harmony, hey gives me a great reason not to book.

I have not and don't plan on booking the Quatium class because no Viking Crown Lounges.

Just thing in few short years when all the old ships retire I can finnally change cruise lines.

The biggest reason I sailed with RCL in the first place back in 1983.

Oh well their ships they get to choose. And I get to choose.:D

There's plenty of places on Allure to do that....and we'll be doing it ourselves in a few days. ;):cool:

I'm curious as to those plenty of places.

On our TA on Allure, one of the most annoying things about the Allure was the difficulty we had in getting a view of the ocean...from the interior of the ship. Did we miss something?

Yes. There's a lot of pool deck. But even the Boardwalk has an obstructed view because of the screens...

There are plenty of places to do it, but the Viking Crown has a magnificent view, that now will not be available to every cruiser. That is sad.

[quote name='Anita Latte']I'm curious as to those plenty of places.

On our TA on Allure, one of the most annoying things about the Allure was the difficulty we had in getting a view of the ocean...from the interior of the ship. Did we miss something?

Yes. There's a lot of pool deck. But even the Boardwalk has an obstructed view because of the screens...[/quote]
Other than Viking Crown, I cannot think of any inside, climate controlled space with expansive views of the outside, on Oasis class.

[quote name='clarea']Other than Viking Crown, I cannot think of any inside, climate controlled space with expansive views of the outside, on Oasis class.[/QUOTE]
That's my memory too. Which makes the comment that there are PLENTY of places on Allure really odd to me.

I get that there are drinks served all over the ship...and you can drink your drink all over the ship...BUT...there just isn't a single place in an indoor space that is designed for sitting and enjoying a drink while looking out to sea. It was the biggest disappointment on our TA that they started the construction on the Viking Crown during our sailing. They hadn't done that on the Oasis TA the year before.

[quote name='legaljen1969']So the area is underused, and their solution is to make it a place where even fewer people will be allowed to use it?

I mean, maybe having it as an exclusive area will be a bonus for the suite and pinnacle guests.

So maybe some of you who are in the upper loyalty tiers can explain to me why they offer things to "suite" and "Pinnacle" guests? IF you have enough money to reserve a suite, could you not get a suite on your very first sailing? You might not have any points at all, but you share the lounge with those who are Pinnacle members? How do the Suite guests feel about this? How to Pinnacle members feel?

I know JS are hardly included in any "suite" benefits, other than having a larger stateroom. JS cruisers don't get much in the way of perks. Do you even get double points for booking a suite? I thought you did, but was recently told that was not the case.[/QUOTE]

The area is now a revenue producing area. Two new large suites were placed in the VCL in addition to the new suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen.
Yes JS earn extra points for Crown & Anchor levels. Edited by Eng23

[quote name='golfer1966']I am of the opinion that they will not change it to dynamic.... maybe some sort of mix, but I doubt a full blown Dynamic. If they do, I wont sail on her again. :([/QUOTE]

Dynamic Dining will come to Oasis and Allure late this year according to Royal's CEO. It will be the new version with the two choices of Classic Dynamic Dining (based on a rotational program) and the standard Dynamic Dining as it is on Quantum and Anthem.

[quote name='Anita Latte']That's my memory too. Which makes the comment that there are PLENTY of places on Allure really odd to me.

I get that there are drinks served all over the ship...and you can drink your drink all over the ship...BUT...there just isn't a single place in an indoor space that is designed for sitting and enjoying a drink while looking out to sea. It was the biggest disappointment on our TA that they started the construction on the Viking Crown during our sailing. They hadn't done that on the Oasis TA the year before.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, this was one of our reasons for not being Wow'd by Allure, felt too much like a hotel and not enough like a cruise ship. One of the drivers of that feeling was that you could only see the water from the pool deck. Rest of the ship was "indoors".

[quote name='yogimax']The pendulum has swung too far!

All the added benefits for suite guests means a reduction of benefits for loyal D+ guests.

As I say, the pendulum has swung too far. Yes, suite guests are paying more, but they are enjoying MUCH LARGER STATEROOMS, and all the stateroom amenities that go with them. I thought that was the main reason to book a suite. Some of these guests will NEVER sail RCCL again. Meanwhile, those who have been totally loyal to RCCL and have booked 30-60 cruises are being shunted aside![/QUOTE]

We have been on Oasis 4 times since the dry-doc and the new Diamond Lounge is now two floors (2nd level where the Chief's Table was located, which is now in the Suite Lounge/Coastal Kitchen). The new two story Diamond Lounge is actually much less crowed than it was when it was the one story Concierge Lounge.

[quote name='LMaxwell']I suggest they utilize it for all guests, not just those in the rare air.[/quote]

back before they did restrict it's use it was nearly always empty or mostly empty for most of the day. at least now it gets used regularly and by a lot more people.

[quote name='spookwife']back before they did restrict it's use it was nearly always empty or mostly empty for most of the day. at least now it gets used regularly and by a lot more people.[/quote]

Many venues that have no scheduled events are pretty quiet. They should have looked for ways to utilize the space and drive more people in there. For example, a trivia session held in VCL instead of in On Air (tiny, way too tiny) or Schooner Bar on O/A.