Now I Have Heard Everything

nukesubsailor

DW and I were talking about a Panama Canal cruise we took a couple of months ago. She told me she attended a trivia game aboard the ship where some people were using smart phones and tablets to look up the answers.

Someone in the crowd brought it to the attention of the young lady running the game and she asked everyone to put away their devices.

Considering the minimal value of the prizes awarded at the trivia games, I can't believe anyone would cheat----especially if they were paying for internet minutes. I bet those people who were cheating at trivia are among those who have their automatic gratuities removed from their onboard account and buy one all inclusive drink package and get drinks for their spouse and friends.

And you are surprised?

Some cruisers take the trivia game as a matter of life and death.

I am not surprised at anything some will go to in order to win a luggage tag or some other crappy prize.

Mike:)

Considering the minimal value of the prizes awarded at the trivia games, I can't believe anyone would cheat----especially if they were paying for internet minutes. I bet those people who were cheating at trivia are among those who have their automatic gratuities removed from their onboard account and buy one all inclusive drink package and get drinks for their spouse and friends.

Maybe, but there are also some ultra-competitive people that just can't handle losing at anything, regardless of whether the prize is little more than bragging rights. I have a couple of friends like that. I refuse to play anything but co-op board games with them :)

I've read that some passengers on multiple cruises keep the questions & research the answers to questions they got wrong before the next cruise.

I don't attend & not judging those who enjoy trivia however I can't understand those who are so intent on winning that they stack the deck to ensure winning. :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer

I love trivia, and I guess I am pretty competatve.

But look it up on you phone, never.

If I win I want to win because I know the answers not because I know how to cheat.

Sometimes I wish that whoever writes the questions would use their phone to look up the answers.

Platinum and Elite cruisers have free internet minutes so they're not wasting their money.

I don't think that's the point, they are cheating. They have an advantage over others who play the game with their brains and not their phones. I'm glad to know what some of these people are doing, I won't participate in the trivia then. People taking all of the fun out of an innocent game.

Maybe they need to replenish their Ebay items! :) It never ceases to amaze me the giveaway items for sale there!

People have been taking cruise trivia too seriously for years. In 1986, I was accused of being a "ringer"! I hadn't been playing but at the end of the cruise, a team was a player short so I joined. Question was, what is a deltiologist? I knew the answer, post card collector. No one knew what question would come up, but people were mad. It was over coffee mugs, each of us got a mug. I didn't play for years after that experience! :) :D

Maybe they need to replenish their Ebay items! :) It never ceases to amaze me the giveaway items for sale there!

People have been taking cruise trivia too seriously for years. In 1986, I was accused of being a "ringer"! I hadn't been playing but at the end of the cruise, a team was a player short so I joined. Question was, what is a deltiologist? I knew the answer, post card collector. No one knew what question would come up, but people were mad. It was over coffee mugs, each of us got a mug. I didn't play for years after that experience! :) :D

The first and only cruise my DH and I played trivia on we were a team of just us 2 and made it to a playoff. At that point the other team complained because we weren't 6 people! We won but haven't played trivia since. The prize for each of us was actually very nice - a good sized reversible insulated type bag with a zipper.

I love to play trivia on cruises and am actually pretty good at it, but there are a few topics where I'm not so hot. I like to play with people who can beat me - it's no fun if the players aren't competitive. I know people cheat, but for the life of me, I don't understand how anyone could feel good about it.

I haven't played trivia on a cruise in years (I was once pretty good) because the players became so angry & die-hard.:mad:

I haven't played in years because I am lousy at it! :) No one wants me on their team.

On my first Princess cruise, I was with a large family group. We often had the full compliment of six for trivia. One day, a member of our party, who was not playing, stopped by to say hello. She had barely greeted us, when a woman on another team jumped up and loudly accused us of cheating. She was livid, totally out of control. It was one of the most bizarre bits of adult behavior I have ever seen.

I don't think that's the point, they are cheating. They have an advantage over others who play the game with their brains and not their phones. I'm glad to know what some of these people are doing, I won't participate in the trivia then. People taking all of the fun out of an innocent game.

True. But in the op it was stated that they couldn't believe people would pay for the Internet and use it to cheat at the trivia. Just pointing out that some don't pay for wifi.