Drink Prices Not That Bad

• 1 month later...

The big problem with prices and bar service is they hardly bring you what you ordered. My last cruise I always ordered HOUSE vodka and tonic. Almost half the time bar service decided I ordered premium Absoult or Grey Goose at a much higher price (and tip). Whenever I pointed out to them this was not what I ordered, they got very indignant.

If you sit at the bar you know what they poured. Otherwise you have no idea what they actually poured and charged you for.

Just sailed on the GOS 6/5/15 and did not find the drink prices outrageous. For the most part unless you were drinking a foo-foo drink they were less than what you would pay in a good restaurant or hotel bar. All were with a mix or on the rocks. The prices on the frozen drinks such as rum runners etc are high and certainly don't contain much more than lots of ice and flavoring with minimal rum.

Beer..................5.50

Baileys 7.00

Gran Marnier 7.00

Drambuie 7.00

Tanqueray 7.00

Ketel One 7.00

Crown Royal 7.50

I travel for a living, I would agree that the prices are relatively in line with a nice restaurant or bar. HOWEVER. I think the biggest issue I have and the same that many other has, is the HUGE INCREASE from what the prices were to what they are now. Not a gradual 10% per year or whatever. It's a HUGE jump in price, ( of course we all know they are pushing everyone to buy packages).

I travel for a living, I would agree that the prices are relatively in line with a nice restaurant or bar. HOWEVER. I think the biggest issue I have and the same that many other has, is the HUGE INCREASE from what the prices were to what they are now. Not a gradual 10% per year or whatever. It's a HUGE jump in price, ( of course we all know they are pushing everyone to buy packages).

This is exactly the point.

Comparing RCI to a sports stadium or major city is just trying to rationalize. But the fact that RCI has doubled the price of a vodka and tonic on some ships is not acceptable.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to drinks package prices down here in Australasia over the next year.

Princess have just released the equivalent of the Ultimate package on cruises of 8+ days. AU $59 and gratuities are not added to Australian prices.

On Rhapsody, in March, the Ultimate package was US $67 gratuities included. At current exchange rates that's AU $91.70.

This may lead to a number of Australians "jumping ship" from RCI and Celebrity to Princess, P&O and Carnival where the onboard costs are in AUD, unless drinks packages are included as a perk.

Hi

I'm going on the splendour of the seas in November ,Any idea how much the non alcoholic cocktails are ? I've bought one of the drinks packages royal replenish do i still pay 18% tip?.

When you buy a package it includes the 18% at time of package purchase, you don't pay anything further once you're on the ship.

This is exactly the point.

Comparing RCI to a sports stadium or major city is just trying to rationalize. But the fact that RCI has doubled the price of a vodka and tonic on some ships is not acceptable.

There is no rationalization needed on my behalf. I'm on a ship, in the middle of a beautiful sea, enjoying down time, which is better than any stadium sporting event short of the Super Bowl. Comparing RCL bars to a local beer joint, local pub/bar or a 'do drop in' is the only rationalization I see. There's absolutely no comparison no matter how hard you try.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what they charge for a shot of vodka?

I was contemplating getting the Royal Replenish which includes non-alcoholic, coffees, waters, etc. It may be cheaper to get the shot and throw it into a virgin bloody mary. We have a port intensive cruise and since we have the Diamond Lounge, getting the Ultimate Package is a waste of money.

I wonder what they charge for a shot of vodka?

I was contemplating getting the Royal Replenish which includes non-alcoholic, coffees, waters, etc. It may be cheaper to get the shot and throw it into a virgin bloody mary. We have a port intensive cruise and since we have the Diamond Lounge, getting the Ultimate Package is a waste of money.

it's an interesting theory. I tried something similar on the liberty last year..

I wanted a specialty coffee with baileys in it. ( I had the refresh package.. so technically my coffee was free but the liquer was not) They honestly could not figure out how to charge me. after ten minutes I simply gave up.

NOW.. I have to say that this was at the Royal Promenade coffee shop ( and NOT at the bar, so the experience could be slightly different) but they were truly very confused.

I think $5.50 for a beer is outrageous! I mean, that's the price of a 6-pack. I know about mark-ups, but this is way overpriced. I think $5.50 for a mixed drink is high, but better than $7.00!

You all must live in expensive cities, if you think those are fair prices!

I use to think that way, but compared to ball park prices, or amusment park prices, or other comparable captive audience prices, its not bad as it once seemed to me. That said, my usual bar bill on a 7 day cruise is around $100.

I was going to guess $7, but who knows. That was based on what is on my receipts for Bailey's

I was only assuming. I had a shot of Makers on Freedom and it was 9.00 + the tip. Just figured good vodka would be about the same :)

I was only assuming. I had a shot of Makers on Freedom and it was 9.00 + the tip. Just figured good vodka would be about the same :)

Do you really need good vodka in a bloody Mary. :what:

I don't drink them, but I figured all the spices kill everything. :D

Never understood that. I've had the bartender make a mistake :rolleyes: and give me premium but it didn't change my Bloody Mary enough to sway my opinion. House brand it is.

No. The cheaper vodkas works just fine for bloody marys. :) I said "good vodka" because I believe thats all RC pours unless you specifically ask for the cheaper stuff. For instance, if you went up to the bar and said "give me a shot of vodka" I believe they would reach for the Grey Goose unless you specified differently. I have no doubt that Grey Goose would be 9.00 a shot!

Edited by ryano

I think $5.50 for a beer is outrageous! I mean, that's the price of a 6-pack. I know about mark-ups, but this is way overpriced. I think $5.50 for a mixed drink is high, but better than $7.00!

You all must live in expensive cities, if you think those are fair prices!

Every drink price is high compared to what you can get at the super market. I too was going into this cruise thinking the drink prices were going to be crazy. $6 for a poolside Corona (which was the least expensive beer), isn't that bad compared to comparable establishments (Vegas pool, Nightclub, Descent Restaurant, etc.)

The only time I felt the price crush, just as noted in here was with the Foo Foo drinks.

In Cozumel another passenger found a place on the pier that sold Coronas for $1 each... He and one of his friends pounded a bunch each before getting back onboard and saved a bundle by doing so :) ....

I'm not sure how you got the drink prices you did. You must have had a very creative bartender to charge those kind of prices. Allure of the Seas in April one draft beer and one Martini $21 with 18% tip. These prices even make Disney Resorts look cheap.

Unfortunately or fortunately booked on Brillance for New England in October. We will be doing our drinking on shore or in the Diamond or Concierge Lounge.

Now the lava flows are more expensive.. are they still included in the premium drinks package?

Yes! That was my go to drink last June and I had no problem using my Ultimate Package with it! Love me a strawberry lava flow and a mudslide!