Shopping Using Euros or US$

spcl4cs_gal

May be it is because of the history of so many countries in the world being more than happy for foreign aid US dollars.

Really. Check this out. The second list is the most relevant as the first list should really be adjusted for population to give a per capita figure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governments_by_development_aid

I don't want to be a scaremonger, but just to be on the safe side, when you get your Euros, check the serial numbers.

Although Euros are a common currency across Europe, the actual notes are issued by each country under the control of the European Central Bank and the initial letter of the serial number denotes the issuing country.

The letter on notes issued by Greece is Y. I am based in France for five months of the year and this week for the first time I can remember, I discovered two notes with a serial number starting with a Y.

This is not someone being sneaky, indeed when you get notes out of an ATM, even if they are new notes, they could have a non-local serial number. It is simply a reminder that Greek issued notes can be found in use throughout Europe.

However, if Greece leaves the Euro, who knows how it will be handled, but I for one would not be surprised to discover that, should Greece leave the Euro, then notes with a serial number starting with a Y may be refused by traders and, it may be that banks in other member countries will only exchange them for the new Drachma, or whatever they call their new currency they use, at the current exchange rate.

Clearly there is an propensity for considerable confusion as the Greek notes would still work in vending machines, but I, for one, am making sure that, if I find a note with a serial number which starts with a Y, then I use it before the other notes in my wallet.

Obviously not an issue if Greece stays in the Euro, and no-one knows how the currency change would be handled, but 'better safe than sorry'.

When visiting Europe....use your credit card, one that dosent have a foreign fee. Marriott, Chase, United are some that you purchase will also get youpoints/miles. Been traveling inEurope for 40 years.... now only with a credit card and about $100

No one today wants dollars...that a bygone era.

Take little cash... less than 100 Euros. Remember your going to get change and a lot of 1-5-10 euro coins..... Those you can NOT convert back into dollars or any other currency. Unless you spend them you eat them... So carry as little cash as possible.

You can use an ATM with your credit card if you tell the card company in advance.... no need for an ATM special card.....never get Travelers checks or take them....lots of counterfeit and scams with them and no one will cash them ( charge you a commission if they do...

When visiting Europe....use your credit card, one that dosent have a foreign fee. Marriott, Chase, United are some that you purchase will also get youpoints/miles. Been traveling inEurope for 40 years.... now only with a credit card and about $100

No one today wants dollars...that a bygone era.

Take little cash... less than 100 Euros. Remember your going to get change and a lot of 1-5-10 euro coins..... Those you can NOT convert back into dollars or any other currency. Unless you spend them you eat them... So carry as little cash as possible.

You can use an ATM with your credit card if you tell the card company in advance.... no need for an ATM special card.....never get Travelers checks or take them....lots of counterfeit and scams with them and no one will cash them ( charge you a commission if they do...

There are no €5 or €10 euro coins. The biggest coin in value is only €2, anything bigger is in note form.

When in Rome do as the Romans do! :D

Then everyone would be using exact change.

Seems like the shops hate making change. Those waiting behind you have lots of patience waiting for you to look thru your change.

" I don't know why the US is lagging so far behind the rest of the world in this matter"

One reason is that credit cards are used in so many more places in the US than abroad. In Europe, it's quite common that small restaurants, small shops, even some hotels in non-touristy areas don't take credit cards, whereas in the US the number of establishments that accept cards is much greater. This means that millions of small American businesses would have to replace their current credit card reading machines, at no small expense.

They have to replace their machines by October of this year anyway. Reason is that starting then any fraud from a swipe (vs. a chip and sign) will be charged back to the merchant instead of being absorbed by the financial institution.

Since they have to replace them anyway, installing chip and PIN could be done then instead of requiring a change in the future.

never been in any shop in America that wouldn't accept anything but US$ so why should other countries be different.

You can spend your Mexican pesos in cities on the USA side of the border in south Texas.

When visiting Europe....use your credit card, one that dosen't have a foreign fee.

But be very careful when making purchases with the card.

Insist that the transaction be done in local currancy.

Often the credit card system will detect it is a USA issued credit card and do a "dynamic conversion" showing you how much the charge will be in US $.

These is done at a poor exchange rate and when you sign the receipt, it is under a statement that says you accept the exchange value and cannot challenge it in the future.

When you tell the merchant this is unacceptable, they may tell you they do not understand English and thus do not know what you are saying.

I have also seen some ATM machines in Europe that ask if you want to be charged in local currency or US $. Always pick the local currency and let your bank do the conversion.

Irony. If the local custom is to tip for service, should one adapt?

If the local custom is to accept Euros, should one adapt?

I maybe missing your point.

But, yes, I adapt to the local tipping policies. At home in the US I tip in a restaurant, in Australia I did not. Since the tip is not built into the price in the US, then visitors from non-tipping countries should adapt and tip while in the US.

I maybe missing your point.

But, yes, I adapt to the local tipping policies. At home in the US I tip in a restaurant, in Australia I did not. Since the tip is not built into the price in the US, then visitors from non-tipping countries should adapt and tip while in the US.

From time-to-time, one needs to be obscure here.

I was noting the irony of a poster who abhors tipping on princess,

but feels others should adapt to local customs.

Personally, I agree with all of your comments about tipping.

One of the sad things about US credit cards is that, up until very recently, they didn't have "chip" technology. Sadly, even though many cards are now being issued with an embedded chip, most US credit cards are using "chip and sign" technology while the rest of the worlds is using "chip and PIN" technology. That means that, even though your card may now have a chip embedded in it, it may well not work at unattended kiosks selling gas or other items. For instance it probably won't work in Vancouver at the unattended Sky Train kiosks. I don't know why the US is lagging so far behind the rest of the world in this matter but I would guess that, as Pam is often known to say, "follow the money" is a good bet when it comes to figuring it out.

I used my chipless card at the Sky Train kiosks in Vancouver in February and didn't have a problem.

Really. Check this out. The second list is the most relevant as the first list should really be adjusted for population to give a per capita figure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governments_by_development_aid

Good post Corfe - strange that Ireland, after all the problems with the Euro, still gives more money per capita than the US.

Red Nose day in the UK raised £78 million [$150 million]. How much money have US public charities raised for similar causes?

We had no trouble using Euro in Croatia - only the official government sites insisted on kuna, and our guide had no issue taking our Euro at the prevailing exchange rate and then paying the entrance fees. And some government sites will accept Euro as well - walking the wall in Dubrovnik, for example, which I'm fairly certain is run/overseen by the government.

It never even occurred to try to use USD.

I don't want to be a scaremonger, but just to be on the safe side, when you get your Euros, check the serial numbers.

Although Euros are a common currency across Europe, the actual notes are issued by each country under the control of the European Central Bank and the initial letter of the serial number denotes the issuing country.

The letter on notes issued by Greece is Y. I am based in France for five months of the year and this week for the first time I can remember, I discovered two notes with a serial number starting with a Y.

This is not someone being sneaky, indeed when you get notes out of an ATM, even if they are new notes, they could have a non-local serial number. It is simply a reminder that Greek issued notes can be found in use throughout Europe.

However, if Greece leaves the Euro, who knows how it will be handled, but I for one would not be surprised to discover that, should Greece leave the Euro, then notes with a serial number starting with a Y may be refused by traders and, it may be that banks in other member countries will only exchange them for the new Drachma, or whatever they call their new currency they use, at the current exchange rate.

Clearly there is an propensity for considerable confusion as the Greek notes would still work in vending machines, but I, for one, am making sure that, if I find a note with a serial number which starts with a Y, then I use it before the other notes in my wallet.

Obviously not an issue if Greece stays in the Euro, and no-one knows how the currency change would be handled, but 'better safe than sorry'.

Euro notes are euro notes and are legal tender throughout the eurozone. Where they were printed has no relevance and anyway those 'Greek' euro notes may well have been printed in another country entirely. The fact is the value of a 'greek' note has no relationship to the situation in Greece.

Of course the stupid public and the gutter press may well work themselves into a frenzy over this.

ps - does not apply to the UK, we don't take any euros ;)

Euro notes are euro notes and are legal tender throughout the eurozone. Where they were printed has no relevance and anyway those 'Greek' euro notes may well have been printed in another country entirely. The fact is the value of a 'greek' note has no relationship to the situation in Greece.

Of course the stupid public and the gutter press may well work themselves into a frenzy over this.

ps - does not apply to the UK, we don't take any euros ;)

Dave,

You are in theory correct.

However, each national bank is responsible for getting its own Euro notes printed, be that abroad or not, with the quantity they are allowed to issue being determined by the ECB.

The origin of the notes is defined by the letter of the serial number, which in Greece's case is Y (if you get one with a K its a fake as K was reserved for the UK).

If Greece leaves the Euro, Greek bank accounts will be converted to their new currency.

What that would mean for Greek issued euro notes and whether or not they would have to be converted into the new currency, and how diligent folks would be in checking them, is anybody's question.

However, as a person who listened to, and accepted, all the assurances of Equitable Life, I am risk averse, even though I know that whatever happens, I will be able to use them in the payment machine at the launderette.

Interestingly, yesterday I received my third Greek issued 10€ note in two weeks, having previously never been aware of having one in previous years.

Stupid I may be, but taking care to avoid holding Greek issued notes is a zero risk strategy, and I would rather be stupid and not out of pocket, than being the sensible and trusting loser I was with Equitable Life.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

As the european central bank cannot devalue the euros issued by one of the participating national banks, at least legally, if the public and shopkeepers did not want to use them because of hysteria they could be swopped for a 'real' euro issued by another country.

Meanwhile over in greece the greeks have been withdrawing euros from their bank accounts. These will be in a mixture of number prefixes and there might well not be any 'greek' euros in the withdrawal!

apparently it is possible for a national central bank to issue euro notes which are printed in another country and introduced into circulation without ever going near the issuing country.

The whole business has the makings of a crazy farce, fuelled by the press of course. :rolleyes:

But be very careful when making purchases with the card.

Insist that the transaction be done in local currancy.

Often the credit card system will detect it is a USA issued credit card and do a "dynamic conversion" showing you how much the charge will be in US $.

These is done at a poor exchange rate and when you sign the receipt, it is under a statement that says you accept the exchange value and cannot challenge it in the future.

When you tell the merchant this is unacceptable, they may tell you they do not understand English and thus do not know what you are saying.

I have also seen some ATM machines in Europe that ask if you want to be charged in local currency or US $. Always pick the local currency and let your bank do the conversion.

The cards I carry are from Chase Bank, conversions are done at the best bankers rate....never seen a dynamic conversion....My bank takes care of that! I have been using credit cards this way in Europe for 30 years... never a problem.. and the bank stands behind me for security. Never has ANY problem

I once had a charter service that did not live up to its contract... My bank refunded me my payment in full no questions...and we were talking Thousands.$$$...

I agree on the ATMs get local currency

We had no trouble using Euro in Croatia - only the official government sites insisted on kuna, and our guide had no issue taking our Euro at the prevailing exchange rate and then paying the entrance fees. And some government sites will accept Euro as well - walking the wall in Dubrovnik, for example, which I'm fairly certain is run/overseen by the government.

It never even occurred to try to use USD.

I have had trouble using the Euro in Croatia, the first time is when I tried buying lunch in Split and ended up running to an ATM to get some Kunas. Croatia entered the EU in July 2013 however there is no deadline to adopt the Euro and the country must meet certain economic test which Croatia has not met as yet. The first target was 2015 for adoption which the country did not meet and now they are evidently thinking of 2016. However, some speculate that with the problems of the Euro Croatia may not rush to adopt it. Yes, you can use the Euro in many shops but not all, it is up to the shop and the exchange rate between the Euro and the Kuna is not always favourable.

As the european central bank cannot devalue the euros issued by one of the participating national banks, at least legally, if the public and shopkeepers did not want to use them because of hysteria they could be swopped for a 'real' euro issued by another country.

Meanwhile over in greece the greeks have been withdrawing euros from their bank accounts. These will be in a mixture of number prefixes and there might well not be any 'greek' euros in the withdrawal!

apparently it is possible for a national central bank to issue euro notes which are printed in another country and introduced into circulation without ever going near the issuing country.

The whole business has the makings of a crazy farce, fuelled by the press of course. :rolleyes:

Yup, understand all that, but I am going to continue to be careful . It is a zero risk policy.

This morning I used a 20 to pay for my breakfast and discovered my change yet again included a Bank of Greece tenner. What I found interesting was that it left me with two Greek tenners in my wallet, one to the new design and one to the old design.

What I find interesting is that until last week I don't think I had ever had a Greek note (yes I did tend to check where they came from just out of passing interest) and now, here in the La Rochelle area, it seems that every other tenner I get was issued on behalf of the Bank of Greece.