Shopping Using Euros or US$

spcl4cs_gal

Doing the Med in another week and would like to know if any of the shopping locations on excursions take US money or is it strictly Euros?

No unfortunately they will not be accepted in Europe, apart from Russia interestingly, but for the Med you will definitely need Euros. The good news is that the euro and dollar are worth a very similar amount so no need to worry about the currency conversions while out shopping.

Not all of Europe uses Euros either. You will need pounds sterling for Gibraltar, Turkish Lira in Turkey, Croatian Kuna in Croatia. Euros are the currency for Portugal, Spain, France, Italy and Greece though.

Edited by Jo and Rob

if you are stopping in Kusadasi they will take usd in the markets but everywhere else will be the euro and rightly so. the countries listed in the above post excluded except Turkey

Edited by antsp

if you are stopping in Kusadasi they will take usd in the markets but everywhere else will be the euro and rightly so. the countries listed in the above post excluded except Turkey

The exchange rate probably won't be good however.

I think we may need to consider acceptable currencies in Greece after next weekend - that situation could prove very interesting...

They will take euros in Turkey but you may want to check the exchange rate and use whichever is the best. If using a credit card you can ask to have the charge in US dollars. Some will do that for you.

Don't think I've ever seen a thread can I use

UK, Euro Aus$ NZ$ Can$

Whatever in USA.

Why do Americans think they can use US$ all over the place.

Because some will take US$. Less so today, but still happens. I was even surprised, we were on the last day of a trip, wanted to get something to eat at an airport in England... we did not have much in lbs, plus had US$ and euros... much to our surprised and delight we were able to buy what we wanted using all three currencies. Folks who deal with travelers are something flexible and that is a good thing.

Other than basic souvenir shops, you are likely to find many places take credit cards. Just use one that does not have foreign transaction fees.

This is sound advice. Check the terms of your credit card. Many charge a 3% "foreign transaction fee". While 3% may not sound like much it's really just a way to steal your money for no good reason. There are credit cards available that don't charge any fee for foreign transactions. I know that a common one is Discover. The down side is that some places won't take Discover. There are other cards though that display the VISA logo that also have no foreign transaction fees.

One of the sad things about US credit cards is that, up until very recently, they didn't have "chip" technology. Sadly, even though many cards are now being issued with an embedded chip, most US credit cards are using "chip and sign" technology while the rest of the worlds is using "chip and PIN" technology. That means that, even though your card may now have a chip embedded in it, it may well not work at unattended kiosks selling gas or other items. For instance it probably won't work in Vancouver at the unattended Sky Train kiosks. I don't know why the US is lagging so far behind the rest of the world in this matter but I would guess that, as Pam is often known to say, "follow the money" is a good bet when it comes to figuring it out.

Edited by Thrak

" I don't know why the US is lagging so far behind the rest of the world in this matter"

One reason is that credit cards are used in so many more places in the US than abroad. In Europe, it's quite common that small restaurants, small shops, even some hotels in non-touristy areas don't take credit cards, whereas in the US the number of establishments that accept cards is much greater. This means that millions of small American businesses would have to replace their current credit card reading machines, at no small expense.

" I don't know why the US is lagging so far behind the rest of the world in this matter"

One reason is that credit cards are used in so many more places in the US than abroad. In Europe, it's quite common that small restaurants, small shops, even some hotels in non-touristy areas don't take credit cards, whereas in the US the number of establishments that accept cards is much greater. This means that millions of small American businesses would have to replace their current credit card reading machines, at no small expense.

The USA is one of the most insular countries in the world, don't forget they still use fee and inches.

UK, Euro Aus$ NZ$ Can$

Whatever in USA.

I agree completely on our last cruise on a UK ship to Majorca there was an American lady throwing a right outburst because they would not accept US$ why the hell should they you are in a foreign country with a different currency never been in any shop in America that wouldnt accept anything but US$ so why should other countries be different.

Edited by majortom10

Because some will take US$. Less so today, but still happens. I was even surprised, we were on the last day of a trip, wanted to get something to eat at an airport in England... we did not have much in lbs, plus had US$ and euros... much to our surprised and delight we were able to buy what we wanted using all three currencies. Folks who deal with travelers are something flexible and that is a good thing.

Dont think there is anywhere in the UK will accept lbs as its a unit of weight I think you mean £s.

I agree completely on our last cruise on a UK ship to Majorca there was an American lady throwing a right outburst because they would not accept US$ why the hell should they you are in a foreign country with a different currency never been in any shop in America that wouldnt accept anything but US$ so why should other countries be different.

So you think people should adapt to local customs?

They will take euros in Turkey but you may want to check the exchange rate and use whichever is the best. If using a credit card you can ask to have the charge in US dollars. Some will do that for you.

In our travels throughout Europe, I have never come across a favorable exchange rate from a retailer who provides this service. IMHO the best method of payment is Euros obtained from an ATM or by credit card...with both debit and credit cards from financial institutions who do not charge foreign exchange fees.

Lew

In our travels throughout Europe, I have never come across a favorable exchange rate from a retailer who provides this service. IMHO the best method of payment is Euros obtained from an ATM or by credit card...with both debit and credit cards from financial institutions who do not charge foreign exchange fees.

Lew

Totally agree. The exchange rate you get will be terrible if you ask for the transaction to be made in dollars. Pay in the local currency, and your card provider will then bill you in dollars at a far more beneficial rate.

UK, Euro Aus$ NZ$ Can$

Whatever in USA.

May be it is because of the history of so many countries in the world being more than happy for foreign aid US dollars.