Shopping Using Euros or US$

spcl4cs_gal

May be it is because of the history of so many countries in the world being more than happy for foreign aid US dollars.

Australia's aid budget is impressive too for our population. But that has nothing to do with local currency.

I think I might need to get some Drachma for Corfu.

Edited by Pushka

They will take euros in Turkey but you may want to check the exchange rate and use whichever is the best. If using a credit card you can ask to have the charge in US dollars. Some will do that for you.

we used Euros in Istanbul at Starbucks and got TL in change...which we gave to our guide as part of the tip. For larger purchases tho, as others have said, used a credit card.

May be it is because of the history of so many countries in the world being more than happy for foreign aid US dollars.

It's the 1950's post war mentality of the U.S. dollar being being the strongest. In the 21st century things have changed.

It's the 1950's post war mentality of the U.S. dollar being being the strongest. In the 21st century things have changed.

US currency is very strong right now.

Many US based companies (including CCL corp) are reporting lower quarterly earnings due to currency conversion.

In a number of countries, personal wealth in cash is kept in US $ instead of in local currency. Two-thirds of US $100 bills are kept outside of the USA ( http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/04/12/177051690/most-100-bills-live-outside-the-u-s ).

There are no €5 or €10 euro coins. The biggest coin in value is only €2, anything bigger is in note form.

Just as an aside, read recently that Belgium is going to issue 2.5€ coins to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo. It seems that France used its veto power to block Belgium issuing its planned 2€ coin which celebrated one of France's most famous military defeats (and they have plenty).

Re: the OPs question, we also do not understand our fellow North Americans who still think that the US Dollar is beloved and accepted everywhere. Most merchants that do accept dollars do it as a service to their customers and charge a hefty premium. As very frequent international travelers we would not consider using a greenback in Europe anymore then we would try to use Euros here in the USA.

As to Chip/PIN cards in the USA, they do exist but one must look around for the issuers. We have a need for Chip/PIN since we often have rental cars in Europe and use the card for the automatic gas pumps (often the only option at night). One card we like is the Global Trek Visa issued by Andrews Federal Credit Union since it is a chip/PIN, has no annual fees and zero foreign exchange fees.

Hank

We have a need for Chip/PIN since we often have rental cars in Europe and use the card for the automatic gas pumps (often the only option at night).

Also works against us Europeans in the US. We have chip and pin cards but they don't work in US gas stations which will read the magnetic strip, but then demand that we put our ZIP code into the machine.

Even if the kiosk is open we still have problems as we have to know how much we need and pre-pay before they will turn the pump on so that it will deliver the pre-paid fuel.

Very difficult when trying to fill up a rental car before you return it

Edited by Corfe Mixture

There are no €5 or €10 euro coins. The biggest coin in value is only €2, anything bigger is in note form.

Except for special issue coins.

We have a €5 coin issued by the Netherlands in 2009 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Dutch first being in Manhattan.

Also works against us Europeans in the US. We have chip and pin cards but they don't work in US gas stations which will read the magnetic strip, but then demand that we put our ZIP code into the machine.

Even if the kiosk is open we still have problems as we have to know how much we need and pre-pay before they will turn the pump on so that it will deliver the pre-paid fuel.

Very difficult when trying to fill up a rental car before you return it

I have Chase bank credit cards...the ones with the "chip" they also have a magnetic strip too so dual, and actualy have a manual pin entry too for ATM.

I use it fromTurkey to Thailand....just fine Check your card

I have Chase bank credit cards...the ones with the "chip" they also have a magnetic strip too so dual, and actually have a manual pin entry too for ATM.

But that PIN which works at an ATM will not work at kiosks (train tickets, gasoline pumps, etc.) that require true chip and PIN cards.

I have Chase bank credit cards...the ones with the "chip" they also have a magnetic strip too so dual, and actualy have a manual pin entry too for ATM.

You either missed the point completely. Perhaps I did not make my post clear.

I am British/European. My cards have chip and magnetic stripes which operate in ATM just as you describe. They all work fine in ATM throughout the world and pretty much everywhere EXCEPT 24 hour gas stations in the USA

The problem with gas stations is as follows. They will read my magnetic strip, but then demand the ZIP code of my billing address as the security check. As my billing address is in the UK I do not have a ZIP code and at that point I have nowhere to go.

The problem with gas stations is as follows. They will read my magnetic strip, but then demand the ZIP code of my billing address as the security check. As my billing address is in the UK I do not have a ZIP code and at that point I have nowhere to go.

I remember reading a while back on CC that someone said there was a work around, like putting in 00000.

Have you asked your credit card company what to do to make it work?

Good to hear; we have Chase chip cards, too, and we were concerned about our upcoming British Isles/TA cruise.

You really don't want to use a credit card in an ATM unless it's an emergency. Cash withdrawn from an ATM using a credit card is considered a cash advance and will accrue interest from the date of withdrawal.

Lew

I remember reading a while back on CC that someone said there was a work around, like putting in 00000.

We Canadians also have a problem with "pay at the pump" billing systems at gasoline stations in the U.S.A. At some (not all) U.S. gasoline stations, upon the request for a ZIP code, one can use a 5 digit number consisting of the 3 digits from our postal code plus 00 (or maybe it is 00 plus the 3 digits -- I have forgotten the sequence).

I know that U.K. postal codes are somewhat different in format, but you might try entering just the digits filled out with leading or trailing zeroes to make a 5-digit number.

John

We Canadians also have a problem with "pay at the pump" billing systems at gasoline stations in the U.S.A. At some (not all) U.S. gasoline stations, upon the request for a ZIP code, one can use a 5 digit number consisting of the 3 digits from our postal code plus 00 (or maybe it is 00 plus the 3 digits -- I have forgotten the sequence).

I know that U.K. postal codes are somewhat different in format, but you might try entering just the digits filled out with leading or trailing zeroes to make a 5-digit number.

John

When that happens I just go to the attendant with my credit card.....no problem.

You are correct and have an excellent memory. It was last autumn (fall) when it was discussed.

A couple of works around were suggested and you are correct 00000 was one. The other was based on the numeric digits in our alpha numeric post codes. Tried them both last December and neither worked.

The credit card company does not have a work around either.

Putterdude.

Your solution doesn't work at night when we have absolutely no method of purchasing gas!!

The only work around we have is to make sure we don't need to buy gas at night.

In the daytime, as one has to pre-pay before the attendant switches on the pump, our workaround is to reset the average fuel consumption computer when we pick up the car so that we can work out pretty accurately how much fuel we need to put in to fill the tank.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I found the way around the pre-pay system was to get the cashier to pre-authorise my card to more than the value of the fuel I thought I would need. Once I had refuelled, the correct amount would then be charged to my card. However, not all cashiers were fully aware as to how this method worked. Still doesn't solve the problem of unattended pumps I know.

Bank security in the USA is very poor compared to Europe, magnetic strip and signature is very out of date and very easy to forge. As for checks I recently had a refund from Princess, it was sent to my Aunty house in error but to speed things up she just signed it and cashed it for me, madness

Edited by antsp

I don't want to be a scaremonger, but just to be on the safe side, when you get your Euros, check the serial numbers.

Although Euros are a common currency across Europe, the actual notes are issued by each country under the control of the European Central Bank and the initial letter of the serial number denotes the issuing country.

The letter on notes issued by Greece is Y. I am based in France for five months of the year and this week for the first time I can remember, I discovered two notes with a serial number starting with a Y.

This is not someone being sneaky, indeed when you get notes out of an ATM, even if they are new notes, they could have a non-local serial number. It is simply a reminder that Greek issued notes can be found in use throughout Europe.

However, if Greece leaves the Euro, who knows how it will be handled, but I for one would not be surprised to discover that, should Greece leave the Euro, then notes with a serial number starting with a Y may be refused by traders and, it may be that banks in other member countries will only exchange them for the new Drachma, or whatever they call their new currency they use, at the current exchange rate.

Clearly there is an propensity for considerable confusion as the Greek notes would still work in vending machines, but I, for one, am making sure that, if I find a note with a serial number which starts with a Y, then I use it before the other notes in my wallet.

Obviously not an issue if Greece stays in the Euro, and no-one knows how the currency change would be handled, but 'better safe than sorry'.

The following news article covers this subject:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11691232/I-am-going-on-holiday-to-Greece-should-I-avoid-Greek-euros.html