Comments/Facts on March 2015 Insignia world cruise by a current passenger

Suesl

<snip>

But - other than small things such as no 'tea time', shortened breakfast hours .... Waves grill not open at all, ....

No tea time? Any day? I love tea time after a day out! Waves closed? Was this still due to the fire?

How about destination lectures?

Great destination lectures and Tai Chi, that would be heaven. HAL used to offer Tai Chi and I still do the routine I learned from the young instructor on a HAL ship. Unfortunately, HAL did away with Tai Chi. :(

I'm wondering about this having to leave the ship myself ...

On Marina's Lima-NYC itinerary we arrived in Miami on May 3rd. It was our first US port.

First we had to go in person to collect our passports. The customs guys inspected us carefully to make sure we matched our photos and then said, "Welcome to the U.S." The process itself took about 2 minutes, aside from the exceedingly long line we had to go through before we got up to the desk...

Went to breakfast in the GDR where the maitre d' informed us there would be a very long wait. Apparently Customs was drug testing many of the crew and he only had 3 waiters on duty. (I gathered they were really tearing the ship apart but that may have been because of the intestinal problems that had been going around and not because they were looking for drugs.)

We did NOT have to leave the ship at all. We did go into the terminal around 11am because we were hoping we were close to a drug store but when we discovered we were not, we went back on the ship.

We definitely did NOT have to leave for any amount of time at all.

Then again this wasn't the final port ... this was just the first U.S. port. Maybe that's the difference?

Mura

We did NOT have to leave the ship at all. We did go into the terminal around 11am because we were hoping we were close to a drug store but when we discovered we were not, we went back on the ship.

We definitely did NOT have to leave for any amount of time at all.

Then again this wasn't the final port ... this was just the first U.S. port. Maybe that's the difference?

Mura

We have done B2B's where the final port was the 1st US port & we HAD to get off on turnaround day

Now last yr we did stop in Key West (1st US port) on the way back to FLL

we had to do the F2F with customs/immigration but did NOT HAVE to leave the ship unless we wanted to

I suspect that is the difference between a port stop & turnaround day

I also suspect that the OP's port stop in LA was where passengers not on the full world cruise were disembarking or embarking

On embarkation day there is NO afternoon tea but WAVES & the TERRACE is always open until at least 4pm

so do not understand why Waves was closed unless it was due to short staffing

In any case the OP will not have to endure the horrid condition much longer it will be over soon

Lyn

To all -

My previous world cruise was with HAL in 2011.

I have mentioned that I enjoyed all the cruises I ever took, including this one. However, this would have been even more enjoyable had it been run as a true 'world cruise' (i.e. something similar to the one I took previously) The guests were mostly world cruisers at the HAL world cruise. The segment cruisers were a very small part of the cruise. Everything was designed for the world cruisers. Certainly food was repeated for such a long cruise, but entertainment and other special events and activities were far more superior. I never had to retire to my room right after dinners because there was 'nothing to do'.

Certainly there are areas where Oceania rank well, such as the location of the docks, the shuttle bus services (I had mentioned this already). The food is good (just that I don't think it lives up to its reputation - perhaps only due to my own preferences...)

No doubt about it, this one is run as back-to-back segment cruises. Whether it is due to the fire incidence is not the point.

You form your own opinions about this and everything else.

My post focuses on describing the discrepancies between what was promoted and what was delivered (or what was reasonably expected) . It was not meant as a complete review.

Despite the disappointment in certain aspects, I wish the cruise is not coming to an end. It was not that bad. I had the chance to cruise the world and that is what matters.

Sorry if I give the impression that I complain about everything and that I have not enjoyed the cruise. I enjoyed it. I just regret a bit that it is not as good as my last cruise.

Yes, I did not do extensive research as many of you said I should have. My question is - Had you the potential world cruisers with Oceania read my post and all other pertinent posts, would you have made a perfect conclusion on whether to cruise with them?

We are (including me) always skeptical about what we read, believing in what we want to believe but not those we don't want to.

I understand your disappointment because you had different expectations. I spent as much time on HAL ships as I did on Oceania ships. The food on HAL was a lot cheaper than the food on Oceania. Less selection and less sophisticated preparation, but we paid less than for an Oceania cruise.

Could part of the OPs disappointment be because of the differing ship sizes which would affect the range of entertainment/dining etc options available?

In my albeit limited experience (1 world cruise on Cunard 2 half WC on P&O) all have a core of full WC passengers and the rest in segments. On Queen Victoria this year there were 250 on the full cruise but the previous year they had 600. This alone will alter the atmosphere.

Regarding the necessity to clear the ship on a first or return visit to the US this depends entirely on the Homeland Security not the ship, as does the length of the inspection. On our first visit to Fort Lauderdale this year on QV they insisted all the crew and passengers got off the ship, we waited in line 2 hours, some of the crew for 4 hours. Second time round the staff inspection was onboard, as is the norm they said, and ours ashore but twice as quick.

No tea time? Any day? I love tea time after a day out! Waves closed? Was this still due to the fire?

In a previous message you said that there was no tea time and that Waves was closed. Can you please clarify? Did you mean on turn-around days only?

I will be on Insignia.

Could part of the OPs disappointment be because of the differing ship sizes which would affect the range of entertainment/dining etc options available?

In my albeit limited experience (1 world cruise on Cunard 2 half WC on P&O) all have a core of full WC passengers and the rest in segments. On Queen Victoria this year there were 250 on the full cruise but the previous year they had 600. This alone will alter the atmosphere.

Good Point

also this was the shortened version of the RTW cruise so may have been a lot less World cruisers & more on the segments

I wonder if anyone know how many were on the Full (shortened) RTW cruise??

We sailed the WC from Shanghai to Papeete, 55 days. Waves was certainly open, even on very cold days when blankets were provided. We went to tea almost every day. Special teas were organized for cupcakes, chocolate, and a gala tea in Insignia Lounge.

Yes, the welcome to new cruisers was repeated for each segment, but so were the Captain's party and the Club party, which everyone could enjoy. We didn't talk to any world cruisers who were unhappy with the cruise. We did meet one couple who signed on for 204 days, and it was their first cruise ever!

The artist loft was always too busy, and even going there 20 minutes early was not enough. He seemed to do a great deal of teaching, and we were in awe of what the students produced.

We were very satisfied with the cruise, both as to length and content. Marlene

Omigosh, I cannot imagine signing on for 204 days when it's your first cruise ever!!! Good for them for being so open to new experiences!

I love cruising but I'm not sure that I'm ready for a 6 month cruise. No, correct that. I'm SURE I'm not! I love the idea, I just don't think I'm ready for that long on a ship, as much as we love our O cruises.

But getting my husband on a ship for anything more than 3 weeks would be impossible so I don't have to worry about that. He always insists he wants a trip of no more than 2 weeks, but by the time I've booked an 18-20 day cruise with pre- and post-cruise visits, we're well beyond that. But I wouldn't try to push it any more, especially now that he has severe vision problems and probably couldn't appreciate the trip.

I'm convinced that the number of long-termers on the RTW cruise was severely impacted by the fire. Some who were booked for the full run (like the Horners) opted to postpone. And I'm sure there were plenty of people who didn't want to fly to Singapore, even given the free biz air offered by O.

I know that I wouldn't have wanted to do that! Leaving from Miami is one thing ... getting to Singapore is quite another!

But how nice to hear you enjoyed YOUR cruise.

Mura

Finally its out. She was on HAL. Did it once. Terrible food, lousy service. We had waltz, Tango and several other dance lessons.Even line dancing. Wonderful orchestra for cocktail and tea dancing. Delightful pastries at 4PM daily tea. Up to 4 lecturers at once. History oriented. . The art classes so popular had 2 daily sections.We even complained too many overlapping events at 10AM. You could do Bridge lessons/play maybe 4 hrs. daily. Food front- A wonderful job on the various categories. From Canyon Ranch diet menus to luncheon sundaes of the day. Chef got fresh fish on shore several times. Homemade ice cream and Prime meats.Easy to get in alternative restaurants if you go at 6:30 and will share. Bring on as much liquor as you like including successive ports. To me the only negative was overpriced boring tours and lack of simple port maps.We did have many shuttles provided by both O and local merchants. Almost all ports had private tour givers, local TIs, taxis and some local buses.Probably the best of my 50 cruises.

Zoncom, I'm surprised about your comment "overpriced but boring tours".

I won't deny the overpriced part! That's why we usually get small groups of our own for private tours. But we have taken some of the ship's tours and while not all were top drawer (most were quite good albeit with more people than I like), I can't say that on average they were boring.

But if you were bored, you were bored!

Mura

We sailed from Sydney to Papeete (yes we were segmenters!) This was our first Oceania cruise (we were refugees from the RTW cruIse Capetown to Singapore which was cancelled - we have rebooked for October). We loved the whole cruise - it exceeded our expectations even though they had been built up by the loyal Oceania fans on CC. The food was excellent, the cruisers delightful and we found more than enough activities and entertainment on board - sometimes it's just nice to chill out and watch the world and sea slip by and there were books to read and films to watch. We thought if there is a heaven, then we would love it to be like this. The staff were amazing and service and friendliness top notch. We have only sailed Seabourn before and we considered the food superior, the relaxed atmosphere so much better and the friendliness of the cruisers we met, ate and drank with very enjoyable. We We are now really looking forward to the Nautical in October 30 plus days Yum!

We sailed from Sydney to Papeete (yes we were segmenters!) This was our first Oceania cruise (we were refugees from the RTW cruIse Capetown to Singapore which was cancelled - we have rebooked for October). We loved the The food was excellent, the cruisers delightful and we found more than enough activities and entertainment on board - sometimes it's just nice to chill out and watch the world and sea slip by and there were books to read and films to watch. We thought if there is

We are now really looking forward to the Nautical in October 30 plus days Yum!

It is NAUTICA no L.

Have a wonderful cruise on her.

Interesting. I wonder why it should have been different on this itinerary.

I admit that I'm assuming that it was different but that is only because of the relatively few ship's tours we have taken, none of them would I categorize as "boring".

But what is interesting to me might not be interesting to you!

Mura

Thanks, but I was specifically asking about the Insignia World Cruise activities. I've done a TA on Riviera, and I thought the daily activities were fairly lame for a crossing, frankly, but that may have been the CD that we happened to have.

(And to others that respond to this post - )

I think sea Days are fine. At day time there are plenty activities to suit the guests. Although the 2 'Crossing the international dateline' event was not much to brag about. The 'Country Fair' was ok.

It is the evening activities that are lacking - to-night we are 'treated' to the 'show' by the CD and his wife for the 5th (or 6th?) time! The blow-off-their-budget 'Platters' (singers) did 2 almost identical shows in one segment (our last segment of the world cruise). We have movies and other non-shows to look forward to for the rest of the cruise.

If you don't mind the lack of evening entertainment, you will do fine. Some people might prefer more entertainment. Even short cruises offer plenty nightly entertainment. Is it so strange to expect more from a world cruise? (the small size of the ship is no excuse.) If you don't expect much, good for you.

Remember, Oceania's motto is 'your world, your way'.

I think this has been more 'Oceania's world, Oceania's way'

It has been posted on this forum ad nauseum that Oceania is not known for their entertainment. This may be OK with many cruisers but it should be NO surprise to anyone who has read about Oceania before taking a world cruise with them.

Likewise, the fact that their excursions are expensive has been talked about a lot here. While you did not complain about this, I am just stating some issues that have been talked about a lot here on the Oceania forum.

Most people choose Oceania for many things but neither entertainment nor ship sponsored excursions are among those.

For most people cruising on Oceania, Oceania's way IS their way as well- that is why they choose Oceania to cruise with.

Caveat emptor

Edited by Paulchili

One wonders why some people are so defensive of Oceania. They lay the entire blame on the cruisers who find Oceania to be lacking in some areas. Reasons they give - the cruisers 'should have known'; and, Oceania's way IS their loyal Oceania cruisers' way. So they say: if one finds anything not to one's liking, blame oneself. Do not say anything negative about their favorite cruiseline.

You certainly are entitled to your opinions. You think everyone should be able to make a perfect decision whether to cruise with a cruiseline or not, based on what one reads on the message boards. Fine. I am relating my first hand experience on Oceania's first 'world cruise', so people who wish to cruise the world with Oceania might have something to consider. Is that so horrible that the same subject matter is raised again - actually, this is NOT the same, because this is about Oceania's first world cruise. Has anyone related his/her Oceania world cruise experience prior to Oceania's first world cruise? Back to back cruises are not world cruise.

Suesl,

So that we may discuss this respectfully, I would like to go back to something that you mentioned in your first post on this thread, but never gave further details about.

This was your quote:

We heard that Oceania does not offer much entertainment, but they do offer ballroom dance lessons. So we thought we wouldn't mind less entertainment as long as there are ballroom dance lessons.

Alas! there is no ballroom dance lessons.

As has been pointed out to you numerous times, there was never ANY MENTION of Ballroom Dancing &/or Dance Classes in the promotional materials for the Oceania 2015 World Cruise.

Can we agree then, that either you or your Travel Agent did research on the wrong Ship or Cruise Line, before you booked this Cruise?

If so, I completely understand and sympathize deeply with your disappointment in what must have been an expensive voyage (Please note that I am NOT defending Oceania IN ANY WAY!) but joining Cruise Critic after the fact, expressly to make complaints about a lack of entertainment which even YOU admit to knowing about from the get-go, can come across as churlish.

Below is a quote from travel-industry-dictionary.com

"Define Round the World Cruise

round the world cruise. An extended journey aboard a cruise ship that either completes a circumnavigation of the globe or visits a significant portion of it. Round the world cruises can last many months are often sold in segments of several weeks each."