Sea plane crash in 2015 - NTSB Report is Out

Here's a link to the NTSB preliminary report which includes some interesting details regarding modern digital displays installed in the aircraft which could/should have provided the pilot with a 'moving map' showing the aircraft's location and the surrounding terrain.

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20150625X15034&key=1

Edited by voyageur9
typo

Just now going through photos from our cruise and discovered this one of the plane prior to leaving on it's fateful, final flight. Very sad...

If that is the actual plane, and especially if you have a higher resolution version of that photo, please consider sending it to the NTSB. At the very least, they'd be able to examine it and rule out possibilities.

If that is the actual plane, and especially if you have a higher resolution version of that photo, please consider sending it to the NTSB. At the very least, they'd be able to examine it and rule out possibilities.

Thanks for the suggestion and I have done that. It is definitely the registration number of the plane that crashed and our boat was the first to start searching when they received a distress signal about an hour later. Thanks.

Thanks for that link.

"nose high, wings level" would seem to me to indicate the plane was climbing but not turning, although I am in no way an expert on flying.

"Wings level" would typically indicate not turning, but "nose high" can be climbing, descending, or level flight. Pitch attitude does not correlate directly with rate of climb/descent.

I think I'd rather die on a shore excursion than by many of the violent and senseless murders we see on the news, or by a drunk driver, or from lingering cancer or Alzheimer's or......

Yes, it's a horrible tragedy and so very difficult for their families, but still there is my thought that I'd rather die doing something I was enjoying.

My heart goes out to the families and my blessings for their comfort in knowing that their loved ones were enjoying life. m--

Just now going through photos from our cruise and discovered this one of the plane prior to leaving on it's fateful, final flight. Very sad...

ry%3D400

We took that same shore excursion 11 years ago, so have been thinking about it ever since first hearing of the crash. You picture is so poignant...thank you so much for sharing it...! Our hearts go out to the families and friends of those lost...

I think I'd rather die on a shore excursion than by many of the violent and senseless murders we see on the news, or by a drunk driver, or from lingering cancer or Alzheimer's or......

Yes, it's a horrible tragedy and so very difficult for their families, but still there is my thought that I'd rather die doing something I was enjoying.

My heart goes out to the families and my blessings for their comfort in knowing that their loved ones were enjoying life. m--

Amen to that. My only add on is that my affairs be in order and I have no family on the ship to have to deal with the aftermath. So many times I hear of parents who have their kids in the kids club while on an excursion. When our family went to Alaska last year, my sister went zip lining with her sons while I went on a tour with my daughter. Just the thought of the family who would be left to pick up the luggage etc......

There is no way to be totally rational about loosing our loved ones or having everything ready..or supposing about our own time and wishing for this way or that way is there really,,,and the people who deeply help others at this time are the most amazing because every single thing in a relationship and family relationship comes up. It helps to see that plane somehow...and in a very very small way, that they were living their lives...but it saddens me so doing a fun thing and then this. Educated guesses on saying no in windy bad weather mean nothing to the families now. And it is always those left behind because at this point our only tangible perspective. For me praying for souls on journey and those left here is the only thing we can do...and work hard on our own relationships and lives...in gratitiude.

• 1 year later...

The National Transportation Safety Board met yesterday (25 April 2017) to determine the probable cause of this accident. The NTSB's press release says:-

Decision-Making, Company Culture, Cause Fatal Crash of Sightseeing Plane

​WASHINGTON (April 25, 2017) — A pilot’s decision to continue flying under visual flight rules in weather conditions warranting instrument flight rules, coupled with a company’s culture and lack of a formal safety program, caused a 2015, Ketchikan, Alaska, plane crash, according to a determination made Tuesday by the National Transportation Safety Board.

Nine people died when the de Havilland DHC-3 (Otter) airplane, operated by Promech Air, Inc., of Ketchikan, Alaska, collided with mountainous, tree-covered terrain near Ketchikan, June 25, 2015.

The NTSB noted in its report that the pilot, who had less than two months’ experience flying air tours in Southeast Alaska, had demonstrated difficulty calibrating his own risk tolerance for conducting tour flights in marginal weather or weather below FAA minimums. Evidence collected in the investigation supported a finding that the pilot’s decisions regarding his tour flights were influenced by schedule pressure; his attempt to emulate the behavior of other more experienced pilots; and Promech’s organizational culture which tacitly endorsed flying in hazardous weather conditions.

More documents are available on this page: Board Meeting : Aircraft Accident Report—Collision with Terrain, Promech Air, Inc., de Havilland DHC‐3, N270PA, Ketchikan, Alaska, June 25, 2015.

The full report will be published in a few weeks on the NTSB's website.

Thanks for the up date. We are taking this tour in Jul on our cruise. I'm sure in the two years since, the company has sorted out the problem. Hard way to learn a lesson. Condolences to the families of all involved.

Allan

Thanks for the up date. We are taking this tour in Jul on our cruise. I'm sure in the two years since, the company has sorted out the problem. Hard way to learn a lesson. Condolences to the families of all involved.

Allan

As I understand it, and perhaps someone else could confirm, Promech Air (the company involved in the accident) no longer exists as such. It was purchased by Taquan Air (with whom we have done a flight excursion before In Ketchikan).

Exactly one year ago we were on the Westerdam. I pray they find survivors. Devastating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please NOTE HOW OLD THIS THREAD IS .

It is from 2015

Yes,this thread originated in 2015, when the accident took place, but the National Transportation Safety Board only concluded their investigation yesterday (April 25, 2017), and Globaliser kindly linked to the article to give us the latest news on the situation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52924032&postcount=337

I've read parts of the report and while some of the blame has been laid at the feet of the airline company and pilots there is no mention of the culpability of the cruise line itself. If they stipulate in their contracts with the airlines that they will have to fly the late passengers to their next port at their own expense, doesn't that make them just as implicit in how the "culture" forms to begin with?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Exactly one year ago we were on the Westerdam. I pray they find survivors. Devastating.
Please NOTE HOW OLD THIS THREAD IS .

It is from 2015

And brazilgirl's post that you quoted was from the day of the accident.

I'm grateful to Host Walt for having amended the thread title. The possibility of confusion was something that I noticed immediately after I posted the update, so thank you for doing this so quickly.

Thank you for posting the link to the report. We were on the Prinsendam (Norway) when this happened (the sad/disturbing news was covered in the daily newspaper that we were reading at breakfast.) We'll be on our first trip to Alaska next month (20 day HAL land/sea trip), so this update for us is timely and greatly appreciated.

There was a strong possibility of confusion. Someone might think it is 'current news.

Not if people read the thread, and the new post. All it takes on a lot of these old threads that are bumped up is for the reader to pay attention.

The new post yesterday clearly stated that this was an old thread, and the new post was updating information.

It is clearer now, though, since Walt changed the subject line, which is appreciated.