Sea plane crash in 2015 - NTSB Report is Out

My cousin used to fly floatplanes out of Juneau. He talked us into the Taku Lodge excursion. He said that we weren't seeing Alaska if we didn't do it.

The first trip of the day was cancelled due to fog. It cleared up and we were able to go later. I felt completely safe in the plane. We had no problems. It was an amazing excursion, and I'm so glad that the weather finally cooperated.

I hope people don't let this horrible accident keep them from seeing the beauty of Misty Fjords. An accident could happen anytime. On my last cruise, we had a person die while snorkeling. You never know.

If you opt out of the floatplane, snorkeling in Ketchikan is fantastic. That was probably the most fun excursion I did on our last Alaskan cruise.

Our deepest sympathies to all involved. Even if we didn't know any of the victims or their families personally this has a profound effect on us. We were just in Ketchikan on May 25th on a Princess cruise and took the Misty Fjords tour with Michelle of Island Wings......was I initially apprehensive.....yes, but the experience was so incredible that I am very glad I did it and I would do it again. Each day is a series of decisions and risks, some greater then others, but we cannot deny ourselves the experience of seeing and doing phenomenal things because we're afraid. At this time all we can do is offer prayers for those that died and for their families and friends.

According to the news, HAL has cancelled the Victoria stop and will be back in Seattle tomorrow.

Not to get off track here, but I don't think they can do that. It would be a violation on the PVSA.

She's not due into Victoria until 6:00 and, according to the Port of Victoria Ship Tracker, she seems to still be on track to get there.

But she's due back to Seattle tomorrow at 7:00 am.

Not to get off track here, but I don't think they can do that. It would be a violation on the PVSA.

She's not due into Victoria until 6:00 and, according to the Port of Victoria Ship Tracker, she seems to still be on track to get there.

But they did according to the news. Perhaps they decided to just pay the fine. Or all the Seattle news stations are wrong?

Guests aren't going to be able to get off on Victoria, it's simply a service call for paperwork to fulfill the PSVA.

Read the entire thread and just want to ask everyone this.

Before we all start pointing fingers and saying "so and so should have done this or so and so should have done that", let's wait until the NTSB has completed their investigation and the report is in.

Right now, we need to focus our attention on the family, friends, citizens of Ketchikan and the entire Westerdam family. They suffered a shock and a loss that is huge. They need all of our love and prayers right now.

Okie1946

Perhaps the news stations keyed in on the announced fact that the port stop was cancelled. It was stated earlier on this thread that the port stop was cancelled but the ship would make a short "service call". That would satisfy the regulations.

I do hope so. Having gotten to know so many of them I just know how devastated they will be. I am thinking of some in particular who are very caring in their everyday dealings with passengers. There will definitely need to be a de-briefing, at the very least.

I noticed in the article mentioned by pspercy that there is a team on board that will be offering counselling.

PLEASE don't do this! Just offer condolences.

Could we please leave any discussion related to "how", "why", "fault" out of this thread and keep it dedicated to expressions of grief for the people involved and their loved ones.

Thank you.

Thank you for saying this, both of you. It is worth repeating.

Thank you for saying this, both of you. It is worth repeating.

Thank you. As per post 176. Please go there to discuss anything other than condolences

I can only imagine how things must be for those left behind. My prayers are that the family/friends of the victims have support during this difficult time. That the remaining pax on board can carry on after this tragedy. Last month I was on an Alaskan cruise. Thinking of the euphoria felt after a day in port, excited to discuss the day over dinner heading towards the next port- these passengers aren't that lucky. They are ending their cruise in a somber way. They too are in my thoughts and prayers for comfort as well as the crew and the residents of Ketchikan. A tight knit community must be shaken to the core. So sad.

The discussions of how and why are to lessen the chances of this happening again. There have already been a couple informative posts about how bad these sightseeing flights can be in poor weather conditions.

Potential customers of these flights have a right to be better informed about what they are signing up for, and until now nobody was saying much about the subject. Now is the time to discuss the subject.

igraf

Flying is inherently dangerous. Any pilot will tell you. It's our training and experience that mitigates this risk. Flying VMC in IMC conditions is almost always fatal.

Flying is inherently dangerous. Any pilot will tell you. It's our training and experience that mitigates this risk. Flying VMC in IMC conditions is almost always fatal.

Here is the complete quote:

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London. c. early 1930's. This famous phrase has been reproduced on posters and plaques many times, almost always with the attribution of 'anonymous.' I was told at a book signing that André Priester (one of the first Pan Am employee's) may have said it, and decided to check this with the late R. E. G. Davies, then curator of air transport history at the Smithsonian and author of a book on Pan Am. Ron called me back and told me the phrase pre-dates Priester. His research showed the originator of the phrase was Captain Lamplugh, who was quite well known in British aviation circles after WWI

With this tragic loss, do you think that the cruise line would be fined? I would hope that the government would have compassion on the situation. As a cruiser and human I am a little overwhelmed with all the latest tragedies.

Read the entire thread and just want to ask everyone this.

Before we all start pointing fingers and saying "so and so should have done this or so and so should have done that", let's wait until the NTSB has completed their investigation and the report is in.

Right now, we need to focus our attention on the family, friends, citizens of Ketchikan and the entire Westerdam family. They suffered a shock and a loss that is huge. They need all of our love and prayers right now.

Okie1946

Well said. I heard about the incident this morning at 0300 while listening to the BBC. It sent a shiver down my spine. I did this excursion in Sept., with the involved excursion company. Our pilot was an absolute pro. It was a blue sky day for the entire area, which was very unusual. For those that haven't been, it can be clear in one spot and raining sideways 10 miles away. Alaska weather changes by the minute.

Give a thought and prayer to the brave Search and Rescue personnel that answered the call. They scrambled for a mission in treacherous conditions to risk their lives to help people they didn't know. They got to the scene and realized there was nothing that could be done. They'll risk their lives again to make the recovery, to give the grieving families the closure of being able to give their lost loved-ones a proper burial.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Thank you for the link. What an amazing job by the rescue/recovery team to find the plane, secure it, and remove the bodies so quickly and without further tragedy. What selfless work.

RIP to the victims and thoughts to the families and friends.