Should One Cruise to Greece During the Financial Crisis?

Evangaline

.... In Athens, if you are walking with a group, you will be fine. If walking alone, you probably will be approached by some 'strange' people along the way.

In what way strange? more so than any other city?

As has been said before, currently many Greek businesses, cafes etc are not accepting Credit Card payments for the simple reason that they do not know whether they will get the money out of their bank account. Hence they are asking tourists for cash payments, simply to keep their businesses running.

Should their banks return to normal business, i.e. if a deal is done, then they'll be happy to take cards again.

I am not sailing until August, so by that time I suspect things will be sorted one way or another and we'll either go to Greece or X will decide otherwise.

Looking at the news, I would hope that the situation will become clearer in the next few days, it certainly appears that this really is Crunch Time

My advice would be to use the ship sponsored excursions and to make sure that you have cash in an inside pocket or under the shirt wallet. My understanding is that ATM machines in Greece are only dispensing small amounts of money at a time. So you have to make sure to have enough Euros on you.

In Athens, if you are walking with a group, you will be fine. If walking alone, you probably will be approached by some 'strange' people along the way.

Seriously :eek: and why would you say that :confused: This reminds me of a very recent (unsubstantiated and alarmist) post on these boards warning that due to the current financial situation in Greece there will be an increase in pickpockets :rolleyes:

Some of the comments I've seen on these boards over the last week or so regarding travelling to Greece just make me really alarmed at the way people think about the Greek people who are (incidentally) some of the nicest and most honest people I've met - and yes I have travelled to Greece, many times and not only on a one-day cruise ship visit.

Seriously :eek: and why would you say that :confused: This reminds me of a very recent (unsubstantiated and alarmist) post on these boards warning that due to the current financial situation in Greece there will be an increase in pickpockets :rolleyes:

Some of the comments I've seen on these boards over the last week or so regarding travelling to Greece just make me really alarmed at the way people think about the Greek people who are (incidentally) some of the nicest and most honest people I've met - and yes I have travelled to Greece, many times and not only on a one-day cruise ship visit.

Well said! I have also spent many land based holidays in Greece and would not hesitate to do so again.

Yes but these are desperate times and some people will take desperate measures ...truly this is not a good time to be there ...better to leave it for another time when things settle .if money is unavailable how are cabs supposed to get gas ,stores to stock shelves with food or other goods .....meds,other necessities .....ii think it will be difficult for Greeks but equally difficult for visitors

If ships or planes cannot refuel because credit cards are not accepted ...what then ?athens is the capital you may need to fly in ...if there is no local transportation then what ?

Im sure the country will be in more turmoil till a reasonable solution is found

I would not be surprised if CARE packages were requested soon ....these people are headed for rougher times I think .....if one loses money because of cancellation ...chuck it up to good experience .....s......t happens such is life

From the Wall Street Journal story within the last few minutes, they have this headline: "Eurozone Sets Sunday Deadline for Greece Financing Deal" with this sub-head: "Athens seeks interim financing but creditors insist on measures rejected by voters".

Here are the key story highlights: "Eurozone leaders set Greece a Sunday deadline to come up with new and even-tougher economic measures if the country wants to avoid defaulting and crashing out of the currency union. As a sweetener, leaders raised the possibility of some short-term financing and—most important for Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras—action down the road to relieve Greece’s crushing debt burden. Obstacles to an agreement that keeps Greece in the eurozone remain high. Most notably, the policy overhauls and budget cuts demanded go beyond those that were resoundingly rejected by Greek voters in a referendum last weekend."

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/solution-to-greek-crisis-wont-come-overnight-juncker-warns-1436255691

For the month of July 2015, here are the various ships scheduled in Athens:

8th Rhapsody Of The Seas

9th Vision Of The Seas, MSC Musica, MSC Opera

10th Star Pride

11th Celebrity Equinox, Wind Star

14th Norwegian Jade, Splendour Of The Seas

15th Norwegian Spirit, Island Princess

16th MSC Musica

17th Celebrity Reflection

18th Emerald Princess, Nieuw Amsterdam, Costa Celebration

20th Celebrity Equinox

22nd Splendour Of The Seas

23rd Norwegian Spirit, Rhapsody Of The Seas, MSC Musica, MSC Opera

24th Celebrity Constellation

25th Wind Star

26th Zuiderdam, Star Pride

28th Splendour Of The Seas, Celebrity Reflection

30th Island Princess, MSC Musica

This totals up to about 63,000 passengers scheduled in Athens for the remaining part of this month. Plus, crew, plus stops in other Greek ports and islands. Good luck for these upcoming passengers and staff. And, the people of Greece!

The countries of the UK, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland, were smarter and so much wiser for not getting connected into the euro tangle that is challenging to solve. Am I correct for these five nations, each for different reasons, who passed on the "opportunity" to be using the euro?

The key question? How much have been bad decisions by . . . the Greek people picking poor leaders . . . OR . . . those picked leaders being poor performers? Hard to sort out certain of those questions. Then, there are the leaders of the European nations not knowing when and how to enforce some "teeth" and incentives in the performance requirements for being eligible for added borrowings . . . and . . . not having to pay back some of what had been previously loaned. It's a read mess! By later Sunday, we will know lots more for how the rest of this plays out and/or gets pushed to delay any type of "Judgement Day".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,632 views for this posting.

Edited by TLCOhio

Greeks might be fine, but in Athens at least, there's a great number of "non-Greeks" on the streets peddling junk, loitering and so on. Cafe owner where we were in Plaka was chasing them away. That was over three years ago and I suspect it's not got any better since.

Indeed! Recent reports suggest that German tourists have been embarrassed by the welcome they've received in Greece!

Stuart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobal

Seriously and why would you say that This reminds me of a very recent (unsubstantiated and alarmist) post on these boards warning that due to the current financial situation in Greece there will be an increase in pickpockets

Well said! I have also spent many land based holidays in Greece and would not hesitate to do so again.

Well said both! ^^.

However, the advice from our Dutch banks for holidaymakers is to take cash to cover all eventual needs, but not to take more than would be covered by travel insurance if stolen. Sadly, tourists everywhere are vulnerable:(

They were taking credit cards but with the further banking collapse, even Canada is reporting that will be the next thing to go. They will be unable to process credit card payments.

I responded to a post that implied that no one in Greece was presently accepting credit cards, which contradicted what's been reported by someone who is actually there. "not taking then" is not the same as "will be the next thing to go." Sure, some are not taking them, but it was reported than many still were. Could things change for the worse? Of course. But incorrectly stating things as facts that are not true (yet) doesn't do any good, it just promotes hysteria and panic.

I am looking forward to my trip to Greece, the problems there are not entirely of their own making and it is definitely not the fault of every day folks who deserve our help, take 25% out of your town or community and see if you will vote for more

Well that article is nice and breezy, but the issue is what lies ahead for people going there in a couple of months. This all depends on what is decided this weekend at the summit, then how Greece responds. There is another critical deadline on July 20. For some travel writer to say they went to Greece before the vote and the only issue was finding an ATM with cash, so everyone should plan a trip to Greece. This is so silly. The whole point is what is going to happen when the deadlines expire and what will that result be like for travelers going there in the coming months. No one knows the answer to that yet.

Edited by Evangaline
typo

Well that article is nice and breezy, but the issue is what lies ahead for people going there in a couple of months. This all depends on what is decided this weekend at the summit, then how Greece responds. There is another critical deadline on July 20. For some travel writer to say they went to Greece before the vote and the only issue was finding an ATM with cash, so everyone should plan a trip to Greece. This is so silly. The whole point is what is going to happen when the deadlines expire and what will that result be like for travelers going there in the coming months. No one knows the answer to that yet.

The purpose of my post was to try and put some real feedback from someone who was in Greece before the vote to try and prove how some of the comments from so called 'experts' on this thread posted before the 5th July were so wrong.

However, it doesn't change your negative views of going to Greece and so I'm sure you'll have a terrible time but from the look of your cruise countdown I'll be able to tell you the real situation before you sail.:rolleyes:

Edited by peteukmcr

I know this is a Celebrity thread, but it's sister company has posted this

Itinerary Updates

Greece: For our guests, it's (mostly) business as usual

As you may be aware, Greece is currently experiencing financial hardship, which has led to many news headlines. For Royal Caribbean International guests who will be visiting Greek ports this summer, however, it's mostly business as usual. You can take your vacation with confidence.

We have made no changes to our itineraries. Our ships will call on Greek destinations as planned, and our Shore Excursions will take place as planned.

In fact, our Royal Caribbean International Shore Excursions come with an extra measure of security -- your transactions are handled through our company, so you need not be concerned about the financial circumstances of individual vendors.

One bit of advice, however: local companies in Greece are not always accepting credit card payments, and their decisions about whether to accept credit cards can change on short notice. So we have made sure to have an extra supply of Euro currency in our onboard ATMs, or you can stock up in port in Venice. Cash will almost always work.

And by all accounts, our Greek destinations remain as colorful, peaceful and scenic as ever.

We can't be sure when the financial situation in Greece will be resolved, and circumstances can always change. However, we have established communications with the appropriate port authorities and are receiving regular updates on the situation. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and bring you any updates if they are needed.

Edited by peteukmcr

We have a cruise booked with four ports in Greece for mid-September. Should we be concerned? We are nearing the deadline for final payment and am thinking about bailing.

I have heard reports of tourists who can't get money out of ATMs and one could only get 100 Euros from the hotel. This along with taxis and restaurants wanting cash only, caused them to yearn for the Greek vacation to end.

For those with plans for cruises to Greece in the next few months, there does seem to be uncertainty. Will there be unrest? Will Greece leave the Eurozone so what happens to deposits on independent excursions etc.? Gas will be in short supply so how will that effect everything? And what about the general mood of the destination?

Any thoughts on this?

I'd stop there, but if there's civil unrest,I'll stay aboard. Then again if there is civil unrest, most cruiselines will not go.

Wait and see what happens. No cruise line wants to take guests to a place that is not safe. If Greece abandons the euro, it may send them back to bartering or using other currency. It may make carrying cash a necessity. It may make things cheap. I have a cruise booked that stops in Greece in October. Luckily I have been to Greece on other trips. I may stay on the ship or book an excursion. Right now, I am waiting to see what will happen.

The purpose of my post was to try and put some real feedback from someone who was in Greece before the vote to try and prove how some of the comments from so called 'experts' on this thread posted before the 5th July were so wrong.

However, it doesn't change your negative views of going to Greece and so I'm sure you'll have a terrible time but from the look of your cruise countdown I'll be able to tell you the real situation before you sail.:rolleyes:

Oh please. I do not have negative feelings about Greece. I'm suggesting a realistic perspective on what smart travelers should be prepared for. The fact is that the key decisions to be made in the next week will determine that. No one knows what it will be like in Greece in the coming weeks and months until it is known whether a deal is struck or not struck. It makes no sense to tell people to book a vacation to Greece because last week you found a shop that took your credit card and you managed to find an ATM that still had some Euros in it. No one will is going to know what to expect until we know if Greece is forced to exit the Eurozone or a deal is struck that the Greek people will not be hostile to.

I feel fortunate that I am not traveling until September. It should be apparent by then what we are looking at. It would be much more unpredictable for those heading out in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping to enjoy these ports I been looking forward to. We shall see.

Oh please. I do not have negative feelings about Greece. ..............

I feel fortunate that I am not traveling until September. It should be apparent by then what we are looking at. It would be much more unpredictable for those heading out in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping to enjoy these ports I been looking forward to. We shall see.

Well I have to agree with Pete. You certainly seemed to display negative feelings about Greece as far as I can see. You initiated this thread, with its suggestions of civil unrest, gas shortages, tourists who 'yearned' for their vacation to end, 'the mood of the destination' and you then tried to cancel. If that's not negative I'm not sure what is :confused:

Thanks to Pete for posting the update from Royal Caribbean which will hopefully help to allay the concerns of some travellers, although I have a feeling nothing will appease the OP.

I will be travelling (on Azamara) to a number of Greek destinations at the end of this month and again on Celebrity in the middle of September. I have no qualms about it (although I will ensure I have a good stock of Euros) and can't wait to experience this lovely country again.

Oh please. I do not have negative feelings about Greece. I'm suggesting a realistic perspective on what smart travelers should be prepared for. The fact is that the key decisions to be made in the next week will determine that. No one knows what it will be like in Greece in the coming weeks and months until it is known whether a deal is struck or not struck. It makes no sense to tell people to book a vacation to Greece because last week you found a shop that took your credit card and you managed to find an ATM that still had some Euros in it. No one will is going to know what to expect until we know if Greece is forced to exit the Eurozone or a deal is struck that the Greek people will not be hostile to.

Evangeline,

It was right for you to be concerned about traveling to Greece. While it seems that you could visit the country, it is smart to be prepared for any predictable or unpredictable events.

I did not feel that you were anti-Greek, after all you elected to travel to the country.

It is a wonderful country, filled with history.