Should One Cruise to Greece During the Financial Crisis?

Evangaline

I really hope a lot of people cancel these cruises so that the prices drop enough so that I can afford to go! Oh, and I also hope that they change the Athens port to Istanbul because I'd much rather go there regardless of the political situations in either place. Just my two cents worth.;)

It's not all that far-fetched, because last year during the unrest in Israel, my friends got some phenomenal price like $500 per person for a 14 day cruise because of so many cancellations. I'm just sittin' here waitin'. . .

Edited by CathyCruises

A2 cabins dropped down to $1,150 pp last October on the Constellation Holy Land cruise so it could happen again. Suites dropped down to $1,500 pp.

The cruise was so phenomenal I am taking it again next year with an extra day in Israel and a day in Rhodes, hopefully.

But i worry about the impact on the Greek people. And as for us, watch out for the stock exchange tomorrow morning!:eek:

When in doubt, dont. Its all about the total experience. Greece could be very unpleasant this Fall. Many will cancel. If you decide to go later Bargains will be there due to unsold cabins. Connie has some excellent Greek itins next year also. I am looking at those.

From what we are reading in the UK Greece is still 'open' for business. It isn't the end of the world and the Greek people need your support now more than ever. You will survive whatever - just take cash to spend on land.

Ironically Tunisia is more of a worry / more of a tragic event recently - but sadly I haven't seen much on the Celebrity thread about that........ perhaps it was me and I missed it.........

The Greeks have voted no to the bailout terms Let's see what happens next

And have just requested an emergency injection of funds from the Euro Bank for the Banks. The Govt must be living on a different planet.

Who is going to loan money to someone who hasn't paid an existing or outstanding debt?

That fact seems to have escaped them. Clearly they are assuming Eurozone doesn't want Greece to exit. That is a huge gamble.

Russia is into the mix but I cant imagine the Greek people wanting into Russia. Greece is very strategically placed geographically in the Med area. Another complication.

I'm certain that the Greeks will welcome your dollars, pounds, euros whatever.

The "no" vote appears to me to be financial suicide.

I have one cruise docking there later this year and a wedding to attend later in Athens.

Better dig out my old drachmas from years ago! :eek:

Edited by Solon

A2 cabins dropped down to $1,150 pp last October on the Constellation Holy Land cruise so it could happen again. Suites dropped down to $1,500 pp.

The cruise was so phenomenal I am taking it again next year with an extra day in Israel and a day in Rhodes, hopefully.

But i worry about the impact on the Greek people. And as for us, watch out for the stock exchange tomorrow morning!:eek:

At what cost to the Greek people. The same applies to China. Both countries are having money issues as well.

I see some wisdom from the Canadian poster regarding visiting a country torn by political and/or economic turmoil. Clearly, some places can become more risky to visit. An extreme case would be Tunisia, Libya, Syria and even Egypt. Eastern Ukraine would not be a smart place to tour.

I would be somewhat concerned about visiting Greece right now, but more so in Athens than on the islands. At a minimum tours may be cancelled and public transport unavailable. Also, it is possible that tourists could more likely become victims of crime.

Where my opinion diverts drastically from my fellow North American is to argue that all of Europe is unsafe, calling for staying in North America.

That statement is absurd. Why couldn't you visit 95% of the countries in Europe right now?

Still, I also disagree with my European friend that call for supporting the Greek people, by touring in Greece. i am found of Greece, having been there several times. The people are friendly, the history is wonderful and food is fantastic. However, I do not tour a country to provide financial support the people.

Agree with much you have to say here. And although I also disagree, as you do, that Europe as a whole needs to be avoided, in defense of the poster, there have been quite a bit of "expert" commentary here along the lines that if Greece departs the European Union, then the ice will be broken and several other countries in a perilous financial situation such as Portugal, Spain and possibly Italy could follow. That scenario would indeed leave Europe in a fair bit of turmoil.

This is a hypothetical only and it would seem if that did happen, it would take a while to unfold. I should think that other countries that might be thinking about this would want to wait and see what happens to Greece now that it has jumped from the frying pan and into the fire.

As for my cruise in September, it will be both a sad time to visit as well as an interesting one, as long as things have not become to unbuttoned that we can not even dock.

"May you live in interesting times" is supposedly a Chinese curse.

Indeed, watching the greek financial situation develop has me on the edge of my seat like a good novel.

We're booked for the last Eastern Med. cruise in October on the Reflection and we're going to go as long as the ship is sailing.

I have confidence that Celebrity, berthing frequently in Greece is watching the situation and will cancel ports if the situation becomes dangerous or even uncomfortable for their passengers. There's also the State Department and their travel advisories.

Bon Voyage.

According to talk radio the Greeks are looking for another free ride. Another $ infusion to pay off dept. Not to be paid back. I know the Greeks historically do not pay their taxes.

I was watching a news program this morning about Greece.

25% unemployment.

50% get monthly government checks.

How does this affect us? This is favorable to strengthening the U.S. dollar versus the Euro and delaying any rate hikes in the United States.

Some of the parochial comments on this thread make me shake my head. I feel very sorry for the people of Greece going through this. I'm going to Greece later this month on Azamara and then again on Constellation in September. I will be very happy to go there and support the local economy, albeit in a very small way.

Phil

Some of the parochial comments on this thread make me shake my head. I feel very sorry for the people of Greece going through this. I'm going to Greece later this month on Azamara and then again on Constellation in September. I will be very happy to go there and support the local economy, albeit in a very small way.

Phil

Well said Phil, I feel the same way. :)

Phil

I agree . I would personally stay away from Athens. The rest of the country should be ok for tourists.

I was watching a news program this morning about Greece.

25% unemployment.

50% get monthly government checks.

How does this affect us? This is favorable to strengthening the U.S. dollar versus the Euro and delaying any rate hikes in the United States.

So interesting that a financial 'expert' on the BBC radio tonight expects that due to the strengthening of the USD, this will result in interest rate rises in the US by the end of the year. Who are we believe?

According to talk radio the Greeks are looking for another free ride. Another $ infusion to pay off dept. Not to be paid back. I know the Greeks historically do not pay their taxes.

I read on a business website that one out of two dollars in the Greek economy escapes taxes.

Half of the economy is in the underground. What created that? The Greeks would have to fix that.

Several countries have huge underground economies and most are economic basket cases, like Venezuela, Argentina, Russia (only oil keep it afloat).

Why should German taxpayers keep supporting the corrupt Greek collapse?

Phil

+1. It's a tragedy. Imagine if it was in one of OUR countries.

The very generous social service packages in Greece were never sustainable given increased longevity and rising unemployment. There is little industry other than tourism. No Government was prepared to tackle the issue because the people didnt want it. Did they bring it on themselves?

We have a large population of expat Greeks in Australia. Melbourne has the largest expat Greek community in the world except for Athens.

Edited by Pushka