Pop-up Scam

Moderators, please be aware that one of your pop-up ads is a scam.

It said I had 1 message. When I opened it, it was a big win of a $3000 vacation. I googled the given phone numbers and confirmed that this is a scam.

This doesn't belong on Cruise Critic. Please see that it is removed.

Thanks.

Moderators' date=' please be aware that one of your pop-up ads is a scam.

It said I had 1 message. When I opened it, it was a big win of a $3000 vacation. I googled the given phone numbers and confirmed that this is a scam.

Thanks.[/quote']

Hi Can'tstopcruising,

I have not encountered this.... but to be on the safe side, I've reported it to our Community Manager.

You might consider installing "Ad Block Plus" - it is free and makes a huge difference. On this page alone it has blocked 5 ads (I can see the counter up in the corner of my browser), and on some pages the number of blocked ads is in the double digits. Just google it - it's the first one that comes up.

I've learned to ignore those annoying CruiseCritic ads (they show up on the right side of my screen). What really is nuts is that some of them have audio, and you get bursts of loud sound from them. Ad-blocking software sounds really good, right about now.

And, although I haven't seen the one referenced by the OP, there are some very strange ads that show up here. They are driving my McAfee software nuts. Sometimes, I get a green light for CC and sometimes it tries to block me from coming here. I get the "we tested this page and it contains malicious content warning", sometimes on CC. :eek:

I do appreciate this forum, and I'm happy that I don't have to pay for it. I know the admins have to advertise, in order to keep the site going. But, I REALLY wish they would do something about these problems with their ads! :(

As the old quote goes; One born every minute. Where can I get the $3,000 vacation?

$3000 vacation. That is peanuts! I found out I won a sweepstakes for $100000 and in order to get my money, I only have to send them $500 for processing and my bank routing number and account number so they can make the deposit. That is one great deal! :rolleyes:

$3000 vacation. That is peanuts! I found out I won a sweepstakes for $100000 and in order to get my money, I only have to send them $500 for processing and my bank routing number and account number so they can make the deposit. That is one great deal! :rolleyes:

And I'm currently negotiating with a Nigerian Prince to have all his millions put into my account so he can get it out of the country. All I have to do is send him my bank details and he gives me a lot of cash. Can't believe how lucky I am that he picked me.:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

I have never received pop ups that actually block your view. I do see ads on the side and a banner at the top but they don't bother me. I did have norton anti virus on my old PC but I just purchased a Mac and didn't install any virus protection.

Definitely a great deal. I hope you jumped on it. I received a text on my phone that they put a hold on my Bank of America account and I needed to send them my debit card account number along with the 3 digit code on the back of the card. Funny thing is that I have never had an account with Bank of America.

I've learned to ignore those annoying CruiseCritic ads (they show up on the right side of my screen). What really is nuts is that some of them have audio, and you get bursts of loud sound from them. Ad-blocking software sounds really good, right about now.

And, although I haven't seen the one referenced by the OP, there are some very strange ads that show up here. They are driving my McAfee software nuts. Sometimes, I get a green light for CC and sometimes it tries to block me from coming here. I get the "we tested this page and it contains malicious content warning", sometimes on CC. :eek:

I do appreciate this forum, and I'm happy that I don't have to pay for it. I know the admins have to advertise, in order to keep the site going. But, I REALLY wish they would do something about these problems with their ads! :(

I caught a malware add late at night a couple of years ago here on CC. I was running two computers both with Norton but one was an older corporate edition. The newer Norton blocked it but I lost the other computer. It was so badly infected that I had to get rid of it.

Definitely a great deal. I hope you jumped on it. I received a text on my phone that they put a hold on my Bank of America account and I needed to send them my debit card account number along with the 3 digit code on the back of the card. Funny thing is that I have never had an account with Bank of America.

Obviously you need to contact BoA and ask them to send you the money in "your" account. Let us know what they say.

I have never experienced popups on this site. You might have some Malware on your computer...

That was my first thought, too. I've never had a pop-up here, certainly not a scam. But I just got one that spoofed Facebook (used facebook.com-claimprize.click, very clever use of subdomains, and track.hotoffers.pw/click) I apparently won a PS4 or a MacBook or something else, just for being me. :rolleyes: It did not want me to close the tab, either. I'm on my Kindle fire, not a pc.

"Pop up scam"

When I saw that I thought it was referring to those tables they put up outside the ocean view cafe selling gold jewellery and watches with 80% off rrp

No, "Scam" is defined in the dictionary of cruising as "an invitation to an 'art' auction.

I know what you are referring to. My Mcafee gives me a "malicious warning" for Cruise Critic forums at least once per week.

This website gave me personally a virus.

It installed some code in my head that keeps redirecting my browser to this site.

On my first cruise I also get the add-on to this malware that keeps me checking all cruise-related websites and doing dummy bookings just to get a fix.

I know what you are referring to. My Mcafee gives me a "malicious warning" for Cruise Critic forums at least once per week.

Norton just blocked my access a minute ago. Told me that I was being redirected to PCFIX which is a know malicious web site.

Moderators' date=' please be aware that one of your pop-up ads is a scam.

Thanks.[/quote']

Very same thing happened to me yesterday. Please delete it.