Majesty to get Upgraded

Far fetched might be a bit harsh. Carnival is testing the waters right now. Planning for what will likely be open relations in the near future. I think Royal will certainly be keeping their eyes on CCL's little experiment, and getting ready for what will someday become a lucrative market. I'd love to visit Cuba, especially before it gets ruined with endless miles of mega-resorts that tend to pop up wherever American tourists flock.

Just because vacation travel to Cuba can't be accomplished directly from the US, many Americans do travel to Cuba from other places. Some of those travelers have said there are plenty of upscale hotels already at the well established resort locations of Cuba.

Americans need to stop thinking that countries MUST rely on their revenue to further their own resort/vacation business....there is a world of other travelers to pursue.

We cruised on Monarch when it was in PC, simply because we were able to snag a cabin at short notice for a quick getaway. We never really liked the ship, but it was convenient. When Enchantment replaced Monarch, we saw it as a major step up, and were very happy to sail on EN.

When they announced the Majesty coming to PC, I asked DW if she wanted to book a quick summer cruise on her. In her words - no way I'm getting on that class of ship again. I agree. Major step backwards.

My sentiments exactly. Sovereign was our first cruise and it was special, but times have changed and there's very little if any appeal to that class now. The Enchantment wasn't new, but the design of the Vision class feels substantially more modern and is much more enjoyable. If I lived close to the port, I might consider a last minute deal on Majesty simply for some sun and CocoCay.

Other than that, there's no way in heck I would fly or drive 6 hours to sail on tv Majesty. Unfortunately for us, flight prices are usually outrageous to MIA compared to FLL and MCO and if we fly into FLL, there's the added expense and hassle of traveling to Miami.

We have one more 3 night booked on the Enchantment before she leaves Port Canaveral. It looks like that will be the end of our 3 night getaways until the old rust bucket (Majesty) is sold off :(.

Just because vacation travel to Cuba can't be accomplished directly from the US, many Americans do travel to Cuba from other places. Some of those travelers have said there are plenty of upscale hotels already at the well established resort locations of Cuba.

Americans need to stop thinking that countries MUST rely on their revenue to further their own resort/vacation business....there is a world of other travelers to pursue.

I wasn't implying that Cuba must rely on tourism. I was saying that it seems that Caribbean islands tend to get transformed when the big tourism industry takes root. I'm simply looking forward to visiting the island before that inevitably becomes the case over the next decade or so.

I'm only basing this off other's reports that going to Cuba is like taking a step back in time (other's words, not mine). That it's still relatively unspoiled. As I have not been there, I can only go by other people's reports.

Edited by DarthGrady

I'd love to visit Cuba, especially before it gets ruined with endless miles of mega-resorts that tend to pop up wherever American tourists flock.

I wasn't implying that Cuba must rely on tourism. I was saying that it seems that Caribbean islands tend to get transformed when the big tourism industry takes root. I'm simply looking forward to visiting the island before that inevitably becomes the case over the next decade or so.

I'm only basing this off other's reports that going to Cuba is like taking a step back in time (other's words, not mine). That it's still relatively unspoiled. As I have not been there, I can only go by other people's reports.

Big tourism dollars come from many places and American money is only one of them. Europeans, S. Americans, Canadians....etc, etc.

It could also be said that many areas of the US that are 'unspoiled' but somehow I doubt if that is the same meaning you had in mind.

I can travel to areas of Miami and feel as if I have travelled back in time....but I am not doing that -- my point is that can be said of any area.

Anyone have a thought just where the heck they are going to fit in Waterslides? I've been looking at the deck plans and exterior photos and I can't think of a logical location.

I'm actually very excited to see the changes/upgrades they do to the Majesty. The recent rehabs of the Vison, Radiance and Voyager class vessels were well executed and have benefitted those ships, and I'm sure the refurb of Majesty will be on an equal footing.

Anyone have a thought just where the heck they are going to fit in Waterslides? I've been looking at the deck plans and exterior photos and I can't think of a logical location.

I'm actually very excited to see the changes/upgrades they do to the Majesty. The recent rehabs of the Vison, Radiance and Voyager class vessels were well executed and have benefitted those ships, and I'm sure the refurb of Majesty will be on an equal footing.

The aftermarket rock walls and TVs are atrocious. Almost as ugly as the carnival slides that got added. :eek:

Those ships have pretty large pool decks, I'm sure they'll shoehorn them in somewhere. The slides emptied right into the pools on Carnivals old Holiday and Fantasy Class ships. They could do something similar on MJ. Maybe make one of the pools for families and kids, the other just for adults.

The aftermarket rock walls and TVs are atrocious. Almost as ugly as the carnival slides that got added. :eek:

I see we're on the same page when it comes to ship aesthetics.

My sentiments exactly. Sovereign was our first cruise and it was special, but times have changed and there's very little if any appeal to that class now. The Enchantment wasn't new, but the design of the Vision class feels substantially more modern and is much more enjoyable. If I lived close to the port, I might consider a last minute deal on Majesty simply for some sun and CocoCay.

Other than that, there's no way in heck I would fly or drive 6 hours to sail on tv Majesty. Unfortunately for us, flight prices are usually outrageous to MIA compared to FLL and MCO and if we fly into FLL, there's the added expense and hassle of traveling to Miami.

We have one more 3 night booked on the Enchantment before she leaves Port Canaveral. It looks like that will be the end of our 3 night getaways until the old rust bucket (Majesty) is sold off :(.

I'm glad that the Majesty is staying. I didn't care for the Freedom, because it was just too big, and even Radiance-class ships are a little too large.

On a three or four-night cruise with no more than one at-sea day, I don't need a multitude of options for things to do on board.

The plus side to sailing out of Port Canaveral is that I can fly into MCO the day before and stay at the airport Hyatt. No finding a hotel shuttle after getting the bags, and we can take an RC bus in the morning.

The plus side to sailing out of Miami is that ORD and MIA are both American Airlines hubs, so I have a lot of flight choices, and fares tend to be cheaper than to MCO.

Those ships have pretty large pool decks, I'm sure they'll shoehorn them in somewhere. The slides emptied right into the pools on Carnivals old Holiday and Fantasy Class ships. They could do something similar on MJ. Maybe make one of the pools for families and kids, the other just for adults.

I see we're on the same page when it comes to ship aesthetics.

What is the Carnival ship that they bolted balconies onto. Another beautiful idea. May have been Sensation.

What is the Carnival ship that they bolted balconies onto. Another beautiful idea.

Didn't Royal basically do the same thing to the entire Sovereign class, plus recently both the Legend and Splendour?

Personally I like that both the Enchantment and Freedom are leaving PC. Been on each once, and that was enough. For a short getaway I like the Sovereign class better, and for a longer trip there will be Oasis to check out.

Didn't Royal basically do the same thing to the entire Sovereign class, plus recently both the Legend and Splendour?

They never added any balconies to Sovereign class.

Legend and Splendour had balconies appended to their Deck 6 oceanview cabins. It's not nearly as Frankenstein looking as the balconies Carnival added to Fantasy class ships.

Legend Before

legend%20of%20the%20seas%20100709%20%286%29.JPG

Legend After

1978734.jpg

Here is the Sensation leaving PC... the afterthought balconies are certainly mucho ugly. The second pic is the Monarch leaving PC, the balconies that were added don't look like after thoughts. I'm guessing they are all the same on the MJ.

2qvwk6x.jpg

fm8a2o.jpg

The second pic is the Monarch leaving PC, the balconies that were added don't look like after thoughts. I'm guessing they are all the same on the MJ.

They were not added later on. that is part of the original design of the ship.

Yep, it looks worse from the front though. And what a pretty slide. :o

Fact is if you like the looks or not, its profit being made and giving extra life to those fantasy class ships.

For one I dont care about the balconies added, they should do that on majesty as well to make her viable.

The slides on Carnival though are very impressive, so i hope the Majesty gets something like that and not some useless slide going around once.

Did the balconies on Sovereign change the category from Ocean View to JS or??

I don't recall if there was a category change, but that sounds logical.

I remember seeing a multi-part documentary on the process. This is all I could find doing a quick search:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/-Extreme-makeover-for-Sovereign-of-the-Seas

EDIT: Found the name of the documentary:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/gatewayPage.do?pagename=discovery_channel&pnav=3&snav=0

Edited by clarea