Who's on Second?

Vict0riann

Definitely not the mega floating Las Vegas hotels!

1) Wide selection of on board activities that do not require special equipment, especially on sea days. For example, no comparison between the poor excuse for a beer tasting on HAL and the generous, informative beer (or wine, whiskey, scotch, martini, mojito, marguerita) tastings on NCL.

2) The same applies to the shore excursions on NCL. Not simply one or two excursions for every interest, but several.

If HAL is No. 1 :) who's your number 2 cruise line?

And I should have asked - why?

After finally trying Celebrity they are definitely #2. Just because of all of my HAL experiences they remain, and likely always will, #1 but the Celebrity cruise was amazing in so many ways and really gave us everything we like about HAL but in a little more modern package.

We'll be on Niuew Amsterdam in September and then on NCL Jade for a TA coming back home from Europe in October so we'll see how they compare now.

We've only been on NCL once, 10 years ago for a western Caribbean B2B and found good and, well.... different, especially for the value cruiser. I think for those in the suites on NCL, who also frequent the specialty dining rooms, and for those in HAL suites who eat many meals in the PG the experiences may be more on par than comparing these cruise lines for those in the less expensive categories who eat mostly in the MDR. HALs MDR has always come out a cut above compared to NCL in my book. But the NCL buffet had some real pluses back then, don't know about now.

Plus the entertainment on NCL seemed better than HAL back then... but in those years NCL had the Jean Ryan dancers which I understand have been disbanded, so things will be different now. We'll do the experiment and let you know!

I must add that the price was right on NCL. Our B2B on NCL Sun was $399pp for 7 nights.... I recall saying to DH that we could get a balcony for $699pp and he said, well for just another $100pp we could get a second week! That was for an inside, but in reality we were upgraded at no additional cost to an OV, so that was nice. Even though the furnishing on NCL seemed meager, but the service crew was wonderful.

This year our large inside (K) on Nieuw Amsterdam is nominally $1500pp for 12 nights; our 16-night TA on NCL in a balcony (BB) is under $1100 plus we are getting free gratuities of $204pp. I know that a TA repositioning is often priced low but I must say this is a steal of a deal in my book. I'm trying to be open-minded and usually say that "It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!"

While on NCL I'm sure there are many aspects of HAL that I will miss but I will try to do a fair review. m--

Royal Caribbean. But definitely not the behemoth ships - the midsize Radiance and Mariner. Why - not sure, but we have fun, the ship is bright and in excellent shape, we have never had a problem with mechanical stuff. We've always had great crew, just like on HAL, and the MDR food is OK. Their Chops Grill is excellent, and Portofino is better than HAL's Canaletto. But with all that said, I just prefer the comfortable feeling I have on HAL, even with having no hot water.......:D:D

We'll be on Niuew Amsterdam in September and then on NCL Jade for a TA coming back home from Europe in October so we'll see how they compare now.

We've only been on NCL once, 10 years ago for a western Caribbean B2B and found good and, well.... different, especially for the value cruiser. I think for those in the suites on NCL, who also frequent the specialty dining rooms, and for those in HAL suites who eat many meals in the PG the experiences may be more on par than comparing these cruise lines for those in the less expensive categories who eat mostly in the MDR. HALs MDR has always come out a cut above compared to NCL in my book. But the NCL buffet had some real pluses back then, don't know about now.

Plus the entertainment on NCL seemed better than HAL back then... but in those years NCL had the Jean Ryan dancers which I understand have been disbanded, so things will be different now. We'll do the experiment and let you know!

I must add that the price was right on NCL. Our B2B on NCL Sun was $399pp for 7 nights.... I recall saying to DH that we could get a balcony for $699pp and he said, well for just another $100pp we could get a second week! That was for an inside, but in reality we were upgraded at no additional cost to an OV, so that was nice. Even though the furnishing on NCL seemed meager, but the service crew was wonderful.

This year our large inside (K) on Nieuw Amsterdam is nominally $1500pp for 12 nights; our 16-night TA on NCL in a balcony (BB) is under $1100 plus we are getting free gratuities of $204pp. I know that a TA repositioning is often priced low but I must say this is a steal of a deal in my book. I'm trying to be open-minded and usually say that "It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!"

While on NCL I'm sure there are many aspects of HAL that I will miss but I will try to do a fair review. m--

I'm looking forward to your review of the two ships. Your TA must have a number of interesting ports to be taking 16 nights! The price is definitely right....:)

Have to say, would rate Celebrity as #2 and Princess as #3. Celebrity has great food, decent entertainment, friendly crew. Princess has good to great food, a bit better entertainment, great use of cabin space. Will never sail NCL again as found tiny cabins, bad food, mediocre service. Have not sailed RCL and or Carnival.

Wow, this one is tough! Trying to narrow this down from our vast experience of cruising. (a whopping total of 3) [emoji41]

I would say

1. HAL- love the traditional medium to small ship. Great food and service!

2. Disney- minus the kids

3. Celebrity- awesome everything but too big, too much drinking, hard to meet people and too many tiers/classes.

Edited by bjarrett7

Nobody is on second right now:eek: - we were disappointed in our last Celebrity & Princess cruises so it will be a while before we consider going back.

Been too long since we have been on NCL so.....

we are trying Oceania in the fall. We'll see if they are second or even first ;):p

Love the Jade, one of my favorite ships. I totally agree that the buffet on NCL is much better than on HAL, with individual "stations" and better hours. And the cheese board! I was shocked by the difference the first time I cruised on HAL.

However, I also agree that NCL must scour the world for the cheapest, most uncomfortable furniture it can find, sofas like sitting on lumpy cement. A couple of years ago, I cancelled an NCL cruise because I could not bear the thought of spending three weeks on such an uncomfortable sofa with a bad back. The bedding, tough, is divine.

Only 1 HAL cruise so too soon to tell but booked another HAL cruise - lots to like. Better public space. Welcoming to new HAL cruisers.

Princess is #1: Based on comprehensive cruise experience better service in the MDR and buffet, room stewards and ship staff comparable to HAL, food comparable to HAL but HAL slightly better, overall upkeep of ships better, good beds and cabin furniture, beverage quality better, love the Emerald deck Mini Suites, overall suites better price for similar cabin categories, better venues and entertainment overall. Concierge lounge provides same services, perks, food, etc. as Neptune however free evening drinks are also provided.

#2 RCL Radiance class: Recent cruise on Jewel: the staff on this ship transform this beautiful, easy to navigate ship into a happy place with activities that generate guest participation and interaction. Food, bed, cabin, staff, furniture, and service in MDR and buffet were very good. Possibly the best cabin steward ever. Concierge lounge provides same services, perks, food, etc. as Neptune however free evening drinks are also provided.

Edited by qsuzi

For us HAL was Number 1 for 20 years with Celebrity Number 2 but we changed, HAL changed, and we're no longer a great match. Number 1 right now is Silversea with HAL and Celebrity moving down to 2 and 3 respectively. Looking to try Seabourn if we find the right itinerary so maybe they'll take a spot in the list.

Edited by Randyk47

Who's on Second?

Sorry, that's not correct... Who's on first. What is on second.:D

At last someone said what I've been thinking every time I see this thread float to the top.

Thank you!

Celebrity and Princess are our number one and two from a cruise line perspective. At the moment. HAL is becoming a distant third. It was not always this way.

But this is based on cruise line. We have a different scale because we base our choice of favourite on both the ship and the cruise line. Some HAL ships would be well within our number one choice, some HAL ships would not make it on any list. Same with other cruise lines. All based on personal preferences and tastes.

It is a moving target based on cruise line cutbacks and enhancements.

Edited by iancal

DCL (Disney) is a close number 2 for me.

Why?

-beautiful & traditional lines and décor of their ships

-wonderful & energetic staff

-amazing adults only area

-fantastic entertainment

-dining rotation between 3 restaurants while keeping the same dining staff

What keeps them from being my #1 line?

-expensive

-limited itinerary choices in Carribean