Riviera Live - Lisbon to Rome

kekilia

kekilia - thanks for the update and pictures. We have stayed in an OC and have pretty much decided it is the way to go from now on. We have not sailed on Riveria, but stayed in 12009 aboard the Marina and booked the same cabin for November.

As for the butler, even in an OC aboard the Marina it was somewhat disappointing. The young man was nice enough, but just could never get it together. About 3/4th through the cruise, we had another butler just show up out the blue and was the butler for the remainder of the cruise. We had never complained or spoken to anyone, so still unsure what happened.

Enjoy the cruise and cabin and continue with the reports and pictures!!!

I am so sorry to find myself in complete disagreement with so many posters whose views I normally respect.

Please read kekilia's post again. IMHO she was simply reporting on her experiences so far. So she named the butler - I've seen lots of people do that. She even gently pokes fun at herself being "trained" and vows to be patient and better phrase her requests.

Give the girl a break, guys and gals.

Kekilia, keep up the good work and well done on posting the pictures.

I am so sorry to find myself in complete disagreement with so many posters whose views I normally respect.

Please read kekilia's post again. IMHO she was simply reporting on her experiences so far. So she named the butler - I've seen lots of people do that. She even gently pokes fun at herself being "trained" and vows to be patient and better phrase her requests.

Give the girl a break, guys and gals.

Kekilia, keep up the good work and well done on posting the pictures.

OK, since you asked so nicely (and I enjoyed your trip review so much). Strike one (she gets 2 more) - I don't know how that would translate into cricket :D :D

Edited by Paulchili

"'just my bad luck to get a trainee at check-in"

"I found the MDR lacking in both quality and freshness"

"I asked for Diet Coke and was told they only have Coke light"

"Later, he cannot arrange getting me invitations for my cocktail party ...I end up writing my own invitations on stationery (now I understand the importance of "personalized" stationery!) and delivering them myself"

The glass looks only half full. I hope it will fill up soon.

I didn't mention this before but perhaps there were some misunderstandings about what the butler does. I'm talking specifically about invitations for a cocktail party in your suite.

Yes, the butler handles the details of the party ... getting the drinks the eats, etc. He is around to serve people, pour drinks, pass hors d'oeuvres and the like.

But while I haven't set up cocktail parties in our suite, I HAVE set up numerous Meet & Greets. Several were for more than 100 people. And I always went to the concierge to arrange for the details. I would say that is beyond the purview of the butler. ANY butler.

On the "R" ships I went to the concierge in the reception area. On Marina I went to the concierge in the Lounge. They always took care of the details (i.e., time and place), INCLUDING invitations. I always give the concierge two lists of the participants: one is by suite number (for ease in distribution of the invitations), the other is alphabetical. I just was never sure which they would prefer so I give them both.

I would never ask the butler to handle invitations for me, but I would ask him to handle the set-up for a private party in my suite. If we ever have one ...

Admittedly, a private party in a suite should involve fewer people than a Meet & Greet for your Roll Call, but I don't think we should expect the butler to handle THOSE details, even for a smaller group.

Mura

Mura

If you want invitations sent, you can go to the concierge or to Reception with a list of names and cabin numbers and they will do it for you but they need advance notice.

I like being a guest at my party - that's the best part. They setup and clean up while you go have fun elsewhere onboard.:p

Paul, thank you, I'd hate for you to be on a sticky wicket (cricket). But are you really saying that someone can only mention things that are less than perfect 3 times :)? I know you spoke jokingly but so many of these responses are coming across to me as harsh. Sorry, Donna.

Floridiana, I read many more positives than negatives - too many to list. The glass is way more than half full.

Mura I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding the butler, for I've read so many posts on here detailing how wonderful it is to have a butler and how much one will do for you that I think expectations are, as a result, set very high. (The same is true of the food on board with phrases like "the best cuisine at sea".) I appreciate the helpful snippets of information you often post and your contributions on this thread have helped me understand a bit more about the butler service - even if I'm not that likely to have one. (But never say never.)

Second, we are in an OS and it is everything and more that one could want in a Suite. I love the modern, clean style. Absolutely love the wet bar, which was stocked by evening from my selection of wines from the suite wine list, which is adequate. The amenities just keep coming, including the Bulgari gift set, and large terry quilted bag filled with a cap and a visor, two logo beach towels and a Shady sun kit of sunscreen and lip balm.

Are these photo's of an Owners Suite or an Oceania Suite?

(I thought OS=Owners Suite )

OK, since you asked so nicely (and I enjoyed your trip review so much). Strike one (she gets 2 more) - I don't know how that would translate into cricket :D :D

In cricket, that would be being dropped at 1st slip... :)

"'just my bad luck to get a trainee at check-in"

"I found the MDR lacking in both quality and freshness"

"I asked for Diet Coke and was told they only have Coke light"

"Later, he cannot arrange getting me invitations for my cocktail party ...I end up writing my own invitations on stationery (now I understand the importance of "personalized" stationery!) and delivering them myself"

The glass looks only half full. I hope it will fill up soon.

Sorry, I guess these are the phrases that leapt out at me also. (You forgot the "adequate" wines!)

Personally, I have neither the refined tastes of the OP, nor her keen perceptions and superb people skills.

Neither do I feel that she was "crucified" on here, but when others are cooing "There, there," in sympathy, it is possible that things might look different to others of us. I do not criticize her perceptions, nor her experiences. They are hers and she is most gracious in sharing them. Her photos make me miss being at sea on O.

In fact, I promise to stay out of this thread henceforth. I really have nothing of value to offer.

Hope she got a decent butler and has a better remainder of her cruise.

Donna

Are these photo's of an Owners Suite or an Oceania Suite?

(I thought OS=Owners Suite )

On Oceania material

OS = Owners Suite

OC =Oceania Suite

There are photos elsewhere in this forum just use the search feature & they should come up

Kekilia

I think you should continue to give your view of things on the cruise, it's always interesting to hear opinions.

But you must also be prepared that if you post your opinions in a public forum that people will always question you and what you think about things.

Do you want to be without being contradicted, you should probably post a rewiev under "Cruiserewiev" when you come home!

Keep up the good work!

Kekilia

I have enjoyed reading your remarks. Thanks for taking the time out of your vacation. I can't speak about a Butler or cocktail parties but I can say that I have had lots of nice food on Oceania but never a good steak! I also felt they were a poor grade of meat.

Speaking for myself, and possibly for some others, I do not have a problem with OP not liking some things on Oceania. She, like everyone else, is entitled to her opinion and her likes and dislikes. For that matter, I wouldn't care if OP disliked everything on her cruise - I will still cruise O because it suits my preferences and style better than any other cruise line. However, I can understand and accept that this would not be the case for everyone.

All of us have most likely had some experiences that were not "perfect" - perhaps an overcooked steak, poor service from bar staff, cold food, etc, etc, etc - and these should be posted as part of the unbiased reporting.

My problem with OP is more with her attitude toward staff and her somewhat unrealistic expectations that can then lead to disappointments (such as "the butler cannot get us window seats or send out invitations to our party").

Edited by Paulchili

Speaking for myself, and possibly for some others, I do not have a problem with OP not liking some things on Oceania. She, like everyone else, is entitled to her opinion and her likes and dislikes. For that matter, I wouldn't care if OP disliked everything on her cruise - I will still cruise O because it suits my preferences and style better than any other cruise line. However, I can understand and accept that this would not be the case for everyone.

All of us have most likely had some experiences that were not "perfect" - perhaps an overcooked steak, poor service from bar staff, cold food, etc, etc, etc - and these should be posted as part of the unbiased reporting.

My problem with OP is more with her attitude toward staff and her somewhat unrealistic expectations that can then lead to disappointments (such as "the butler cannot get us window seats or send out invitations to our party").

Thank you for that well stated reply, however, I must set something straight. I have had no unpleasant communication with our butler. Anything that has come up in speaking with him has been cordial and professional. While others have misunderstood me, I want to make clear that the "attitude" is entirely coming from the butler. He is professional and courteous. However, he seems to approach my requests, whether they are appropriate for the butler or not, first with a "No, I am so sorry" and then an attempt to explain why the answer is no, which can range from that's not what I can do or some policy whereby I have to follow a certain protocol. I always say oh, I see, and usually ask if he can try (some other approach to the solution). And, in every single case, I have gotten what I requested, including a full frig of Coke Zero and seats by the window in Jacques. So, it is not a case of a bad attitude, which some posters who dislike me have tagged me with.

Last night, I spoke with him about some things, and a surprising answer enlightened me about recent changes in service since NCL merge. Before, there was a lot of latitude for the butlers - bringing canapés, etc. now, everything must be ordered by 9am. There is so much paperwork and how do I know what I want for canapés tomorrow evening when I return full from a night at Red Ginger and tired from a day of excursions? This is not the butler's fault, it is a terrible policy instituted by O. The issue here is that I had to go 2 days into the cruise to get info on the policy from the butler. And, that is just one case example. Initially, I judged, incorrectly, that the butler didn't want to do his job. What is happening is the butler is reluctant because he is unsure about the new protocols and says no, then tries at my request by asking his supervisor and voila, it gets done. It leaves the customer feeling like a cog in a machine. Step outside the bounds and you experience difficulties.

Aside to the blasters: having a great time, love some things about O, including wait staff and housekeeping, the elegance of the ship and refined atmosphere. Acknowledge first world problems. Just don't feel the "special treatment associated with an upper suite" one is expecting from the O literature and cruise critics posts.

Edited by kekilia

Kekilia

This is why I suggested that your concerns should be taken to the Head Butler.:)

The head butler is made aware of any and all comments guests make and is expert at sorting things out.

You would be amazed at what information is passed on from butler to butler (or maybe not!). I like my tea served already brewing in the teapot, which is alien I know to US folks. Anyway, it only took one request to our butler and the tea always came henceforth in a pot. He quite clearly passed this on as on one occasion we ordered tea during the afternoon when the duty butler looks after everyone, and he brought the tea - not in the pot. As he put the tray down he must have suddenly remembered and he shot off, apologising and a tad embarrassed. I hadn't said a word! The tea was duly brought in the teapot. :). However, when our butler arrived that evening, he commented on it and told me they had all been told how I like my tea! It was more of a big deal to them than it ever would have been to me! They really don't like not getting it right for you!

From what I remember, you always had to order canapés early in the day, I don't think that's a change and the time by which you had to order etc., was printed on the order form - we usually didn't bother as quite often they would arrive soon after we had taken afternoon tea and after all those delights we just wouldn't need more nibbles! And one has to save room for dinner! :D. I hope you've tried the scones at tea time! We did have one butler on an Alaskan cruise who would just seem to know when we got back from our excursions and would arrive within minutes with our tea and an array of goodies from the afternoon tea being served upstairs in the lounge. That was delightful I have to say - shoes off, cup of tea, relaaaaax!

It's a bit like room service breakfast having to order the night before, you never know what you will fancy the next morning! But what I do like to do is order a pot of tea and maybe a croissant for earlier delivery, and then if we are having room service breakfast, that comes a bit later and is more leisurely as you've already broken your fast as it were! Perfect for sea days. And the butler does not care a hoot whether you're still in your jammies! ;):eek:

For what it's worth I think you are very generous with your precious vacation time to do a"live from" - personally I would not be so! Enjoy your cruise, and remember to ask for thick milkshakes!!!

I'm a girl ;) with Scottish and Viking heritage!

Edited by fairbourne

Actually, Fairbourne, you don't have to order room service the evening before, although I think they would prefer you to do that for operational reasons.

If I woke up feeling like a pot of tea and a croissant I'd just ring up. I never knew what I'd feel like the next day so that worked fine for me. It also gave me time to brush my hair so I didn't look too scary! I always wake up looking like I've been plugged into the mains overnight.

I'm with you on the tea brewing situation. Every Scottish girl just knows the tea bag should go in first, followed by boiling water.

Absolutely SellaVee - and when the butler brings the early tea, if We then find we fancy something other than we have ordered for breakfast, a change can be made or something added (that's more likely! LOL!). You know how it goes, you try and be good and then you suddenly wake up and realise to heck with that, I'm on holiday!

I usually only order the early tea as it gets us up ....otherwise I'd be lolling around in that extremely comfortable Oceania bed all day!!! But there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that either! Sea days ..... Movie .... Room service ..... Champagne ...... Oops ...... Where did that day go? LOL!

Just don't feel the "special treatment associated with an upper suite" one is expecting from the O literature and cruise critics posts.

Actually I've mentioned this a few times here. I was pretty much treated the same in an Ocean View as I was in an Oceania Suite. With the exception of the perks that come with the upper room.

I do believe it's all about the butler though, we had a butler in a PH that made our trip much more enjoyable than our butler in the OC.

Okay, now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Day 2 - Malaga, Spain . Since we are just steps from the terrace cafe, we have decided it is easier to just go there and get what we want for breakfast. I usually only have a protein shake in the morning and some fruit and toast. I must say the men at the gelato/smoothie station in Waves Grill are the best! They learned straight off how I wished my shake to be made, adding my own protein powder and are already expert at it. And, they do this with such passion and delight to please! Meanwhile, DH can cruise the buffet and we enjoy a peek at the port! Today was a very long excursion to Granada and the Alhambra and our itinerary was shortened by an hour, but we were in good hands with Top Day Tours, who promptly met us at the gate and got us on the road, reassuring us that we would have plenty of time at the Alhambra, though we would have to sacrifice free time in Granada, not a big deal. After the 2.5 hour tour, we had an hour to walk around the grounds and get a bite to eat, shop and rest. We chose to eat in a quaint little restaurant, La Mimbre, where my bucket list was diminished by having Andalucian gazpacho with La Mimbre's own sangria! We also stopped at a shop and got a couple of nice souvenirs. The ride back on the bus was easy and the guide spoke less and did so quietly, allowing those who wished to "siesta." We arrived back in port with plenty of time to spare, in fact, we beat back two of the ship's buses. I highly recommend this excursion, it takes effort, but it is stunning and drenched in history.

We had a dinner reservation at Red Ginger at 8 pm, so we went for a refreshing swim in the pool and the pool attendants were very solicitous. I notice that there are always plenty of lounges around the pool and it is never crowded. This spaciousness is a big draw for me. The ship is full but never feels like it, there are children aboard but they have slipped into the calmness exuded by the ship. There ar always elevators ready and no waiting at any venue. That alone is worth the price.

Red Ginger was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had! Last evening we dined in Jacques and enjoyed it very much (except for the iconic overdone steak my DH had, this was rectified quickly). I had the rotisserie pork rack which they will give you as one or two bones. The meat was very tender from the rotisserie. But the best thing at Jacques was the cauliflower au gratin and the choux de la creme. We will get another seating here and I must repeat the dessert!

As good as Jacques was, Red Ginger was the best meal of my life! I loved ever part of this meal, from tea and chopstick selections to the last bite of dessert, the servers were personal and made an exciting atmosphere. For starters we chose vegetable tempura and the special quintet of appetizers meant for 2. As for the entres, words cannot describe the miso glazed sea bass, it was perhaps the finest fish I've ever had - and I live in Hawaii! My DH had the lobster pad Thai which he rated excellent. The meal was extraordinary and everyone must try this dish. I loved also the decor, the china and the artwork. A great experience.

When we returned to our room, the turn down was perfect as usual. Will post pics later, going tonight to La Reserve, must dress up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad we got the butler issues sorted out--it must be a confusing time for staff when policies are changing. Let's hope they sort things out. I had thought, for instance, that a butler would definitely do invitations for a cocktail party, but since I've never done it, just been a guest, I guess I don't really know.

It sounds like you're having a wonderful cruise, and I'm very much enjoying your descriptions of it.

We did a private to in a group of six to the Alhambra, and we too missed Granada but had a wonderful visit. Next time I'm going to make sure I get to Granada since it's a great little city.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Thank you for that well stated reply, however, I must set something straight. I have had no unpleasant communication with our butler.

Thank you for the clarification. Sounds like things are working out and that you are enjoying the cruise - that's good all the way around.

Actually I've mentioned this a few times here. I was pretty much treated the same in an Ocean View as I was in an Oceania Suite. With the exception of the perks that come with the upper room.

I do believe it's all about the butler though, we had a butler in a PH that made our trip much more enjoyable than our butler in the OC.

Definitely agree on both points.