Dinner in the Cabin

Pet

Speaking about the in-suite dining from specialty restaurants, and my impression only!

We were lucky enough to be in a VS (gift of Oceania when we switched from an oversold cruise) in Marina in Oct '11. The next cruise was Nov '13, also on Marina, when we were in an OC -- I just wanted to try it! And we did a TA on Marina in April 2014, again in a VS. But our most recent cruise (again on Marina, that's just the way it worked out, we aren't necessarily insisting on an "O" ship) this past May was in a PH on Marina.

We found the dinner set-up far more convenient in the VS and OC categories because they have a separate table with four chairs so there is plenty of room. But we also wouldn't say that ordering in to your suite if you are in a PH is impossible, because it isn't. Yes, the table is much smaller than in the higher categories and I found it a tad awkward in getting up from the table in the PH configuration, but would never say it's totally uncomfortable. We had no problem with dining in the suite in the PH.

We have usually had the appetizer and main course delivered at the same time with dessert coming when we called the butler to ask him to bring it. Someone said that unless you ask for the two first courses to be brought at the same time you will get course by course service but that has NOT been our experience.

Our butlers typically brought the first two courses unless we specified that we wanted them brought separately. Usually we don't fuss because we know he's serving a number of suites at the same time. We didn't find that the main course cooled off significantly while we ate our appetizers, but by all means if this is a concern, ask the butler to bring the courses separately.

And again, we found it comfortable enough dining in the suite in a PH ... it's just MORE comfortable in an OC or VS. I doubt we'll ever have the chance to try the OS on Marina or Riviera! Maybe if we win the lottery ...

As to dining in the suite on an "R" ship, we've never had the opportunity but we were in an OS once 10 years ago on Regatta and it was very comfortable eating at the table in the room or on the deck. When we were in a VS 9 years ago on Insignia, ditto. Breakfast in a PH on an "R" ship was always very comfortable, so I suspect that we'd find dinner more comfortable in an "R" ship PH than we did on Marina ... but we didn't find the difference enough to complain about.

Maybe we can try that out on Sirena in October '16 ...

Mura

Mura

So are you saying that page is showing that those in the 3 upper suites can get Room Service(anytime of day) served course by course by their butler? But the PH levels can't? If so then that's different.

We have been in one of the "3 upper suites" and could get dinner served from any of the dining venues (including specialty restaurants) course by course. This was definitely not in effect for breakfast or lunch (that I was aware of). IMO, too big of a deal is being made of this. As far as I know, the PH suites have the same benefit as the "3 upper suites". The only benefit (IMO) is the ability to order from the specialty restaurants. We do not cruise to dine in our suite...... however, if we could not get a reservation in a specialty restaurant, this would be an alternative (especially since we do not care for the food in the MDR or Terrace Café).

Edited by Travelcat2

We have been in one of the "3 upper suites" and could get dinner served from any of the dining venues (including specialty restaurants) course by course. This was definitely not in effect for breakfast or lunch (that I was aware of). IMO, too big of a deal is being made of this. As far as I know, the PH suites have the same benefit as the "3 upper suites". The only benefit (IMO) is the ability to order from the specialty restaurants. We do not cruise to dine in our suite...... however, if we could not get a reservation in a specialty restaurant, this would be an alternative (especially since we do not care for the food in the MDR or Terrace Café).

We DO like the food in the MDR and Terrace (not to argue that Travelcat doesn't have her vote in this) BUT we order in to our suite when we've had a long day touring and are just plain tired. We also do so on the last night of the cruise to make packing for departure easier. But under normal circumstances we would prefer going to the restaurant ... ANY of them.

Mura

I think some people are missing the point. Lynn made the distinction between "Specialty Restaurants" and the "Room Service" menu. The room service page was the one that had been linked. That was what the discussion was about. Hence the question. Which was,

Do the suites above PH get food from the "Room Service" menu served by their butler course by course? And, is this something the PH suites can't get?

Not from the Specialty or regular restaurants, which yes, any of the suites, including PH can get served course by course, of course.

I was fortunate enough to get into a PH on Marina this Fall. I'm looking forward to trying the in-suite dining for a number of reasons. I'm solo....I will have that little table all to myself. If it's nice enough outside...I can take my plate out to the balcony and eat it there. I don't have to get dressed up for dinner...and I can lick the plate if I wish...LOL...not that I'm inclined to, well, maybe for a fabulous dessert.

Eating solo in the MDR is not a terrific experience so I tend to eat up in the buffet area. Sharing a table with strangers is also not always terrific so I see this type of dining as a real perk. Also, the meal will be finished alot sooner. I can always go 'out' after dinner as well if I feel so inclined.

I do have a question about the service of the butler....is this service tipped separately from his (I presume a butler is a male) usual gratuities?

Thanks

Joyce :D

I do have a question about the service of the butler....is this service tipped separately from his (I presume a butler is a male) usual gratuities?

When you sail in a Suite, part of the Auto tip goes to the Butler, so there is no need to tip anything more unless you are so inclined-

.....but you WILL be! :D

I was fortunate enough to get into a PH on Marina this Fall. I'm looking forward to trying the in-suite dining for a number of reasons. I'm solo....I will have that little table all to myself. If it's nice enough outside...I can take my plate out to the balcony and eat it there. I don't have to get dressed up for dinner...and I can lick the plate if I wish...LOL...not that I'm inclined to, well, maybe for a fabulous dessert.

Eating solo in the MDR is not a terrific experience so I tend to eat up in the buffet area. Sharing a table with strangers is also not always terrific so I see this type of dining as a real perk. Also, the meal will be finished alot sooner. I can always go 'out' after dinner as well if I feel so inclined.

Thanks

Joyce :D

Most people, including myself, will tip the butler at the end of the cruise rather then at the time of each service.

The amount is discretionary and commensurate to the extra service provided.

Enjoy your cruise and all the luxuries of the PH :)

When you sail in a Suite, part of the Auto tip goes to the Butler, so there is no need to tip anything more unless you are so inclined-

.....but you WILL be! :D

The one time we had a humorless almost useles butler for a short time we tipped him anyway. Fortunately it was for only the shortest segment of a b/b/b.

• 2 weeks later...

What ship would that dining room be on? It's certainly not on any of the Oceania ships.

That being the case, it would likely be extremely difficult ...:)

Mura

Can one order in room dining from the Brittania Dining Room?

Maybe meant to post on Cunard forum

Profile shows Queen Victoria & also Riviera

Easy to confuse the two ;)

Edited by LHT28

Question: Are there other lines that offer the option of ordering from a restaurant to be served in your room?

I ask because Oceania is the only line on which we have sailed that offers this option, and this has only been possible for the past several years. OTOH, most of our cruising over the past 10 years has been on Oceania with a couple of exceptions.

Just curious.

Mura

SWMbI and I have sailed 4 times on Oceania and while we don't presume to be all knowledgeable oracles, we have enjoyed each of them - not quite equally. :rolleyes:

After a Concierge A3 on Nautica (the Baltic made up for the lack of space - my opinion) we reserved a PH1. At first we were a little uncomfortable with having a butler - I'm used to having SWMbI spoil me all by her lonesome. But without question, each of our three butlers made the voyages both more comfortable and pleasant. I suspect that many here will chime in agreement that we'd like to stuff our butler in our luggage to take home - wondering how we'll manage without him.

To my point: strictly for the new Oceania voyagers in PHs, the butler will introduce himself between lunch and prior to life boat drill on the day you board. He will give a concise list of things he can do to make your trip more enjoyable. It is incumbent on the passengers to ask for clarification or additional information at that time. Ask about in suite dining by courses then. Your butler will appreciate your asking and will be happy to elaborate on any questions without embarrassing you. They are there to serve and they want you to be happy.

And again I know that some voyagers don't feel they should have to add to the pre-paid gratuities on your final bill but it is my belief that you would be ungrateful in the extreme if you didn't add a cash appreciation to both your butler and your room steward before final debarking.

JMBobB

B.S. We've always asked our butler and steward to take pictures with us before we leave the ship. Great memories of hard working ships staff.

Question: Are there other lines that offer the option of ordering from a restaurant to be served in your room?

I ask because Oceania is the only line on which we have sailed that offers this option, and this has only been possible for the past several years. OTOH, most of our cruising over the past 10 years has been on Oceania with a couple of exceptions.

Just curious.

Mura

Mura, on HAL you can order from the MDR menu for service in your room. Course by course dining is available in PS and NS. Course by course really works best in the PS IMO. In the PS, the table is set with the same crystal, plates, etc as in the MDR.

Edited by kazu

THanks, Kazu. I admit that this is a perk I've come to appreciate, especially after a long day of touring.

Mura

you are very welcome. happy to help you for a change ;) It is a nice perk that we have used and really enjoyed as well.