Blu larger tables?

livyordrem

Does Blu have larger tables for people who would like to dine with others? I am travelling solo and thinking of upgrading to Aqua for a serious price cut from CC (and give up my aft balcony :-( ) but I like to eat with others for dinners. Are larger tables available to join others or not?

Sally

There are larger tables for larger parties but they don't seat you with other people. They seat you on an "on arrival" basis. We sat most nights in a table for two by the window (which a couple times we had to wait for) and always seemed to end up talking to the people next to us.

We like to eat with others also. We discovered that if we arrived around 7pm, most of the two tops were filled, and they were very happy to seat us at the larger tables. In fact, once we discovered this, we also realized they were very happy to have people who wanted to do this. EM

Does Blu have larger tables for people who would like to dine with others? I am travelling solo and thinking of upgrading to Aqua for a serious price cut from CC (and give up my aft balcony :-( ) but I like to eat with others for dinners. Are larger tables available to join others or not?

Sally

Sally:

Hopefully Lois will come on and help to answer your question. She has traveled in AQ by herself.

It depends on how many large parties there are in Blu. On our last cruise, there were two groups of 8 and 2 groups of 6 - even though they don't take reservations, they tried hard to have a table available for our group of 8 when we came in. We agreed to come in at a specific time and stop by early if we were dining elsewhere or had a smaller number.

Having said that, on most of our cruises the larger tables were shared during peak times. The maitre'd and hostess worked hard to seat the solo travelers with others and quickly came to know couples who were willing to share.

Check your roll call and arrange to meet others for dinner in BLU or elsewhere on some nights...

we had a BLU get together one night from our roll call...table of 10 ....pre planned...worked out great...

some folks in BLU are friendly and chat...some not.

I would just sit at a table for 2 and usually, the people around you will strike up a conversation. You may run into a couple who may not be fluent in your language. As mentioned, you are seated based on your arrival time.

Sally:

Hopefully Lois will come on and help to answer your question. She has traveled in AQ by herself.

We sailed the Silhouette with Lois a few years ago. Actually there were 12 of us who met on roll call. We ate together most nights as a large group. There was another single AQUA too.

They are always willing to move tables together and we have seen singles in BLU and unless you are seated next to snobs you should have a very enjoyable evening. We always attempt to speak to our neighboring tables in hopes of meeting new and exciting travelers.

Just smile and say hello and most likely you will make new friends.

We sailed the Silhouette with Lois a few years ago. Actually there were 12 of us who met on roll call. We ate together most nights as a large group. There was another single AQUA too.

They are always willing to move tables together and we have seen singles in BLU and unless you are seated next to snobs you should have a very enjoyable evening. We always attempt to speak to our neighboring tables in hopes of meeting new and exciting travelers.

Just smile and say hello and most likely you will make new friends.

Not everyone who just wants to quietly converse with their spouse is a snob.

If I can respect your desire to make new friends you can respect mine to spend the time with my spouse.

But back to the OP - if you let the Maitre D' in Blu know that you'd like to be seated with others they can probably figure something out for you.

That's one of the advantages of the small dining room.

Edited by chamima

As we spend a lot of time apart due to work, when we are on holidays we like to talk to each other. We are friendly to others but not necessarily to engage in significant conversations. No snobbery involved.

Not everyone who just wants to quietly converse with their spouse is a snob.

If I can respect your desire to make new friends you can respect mine to spend the time with my spouse.

But back to the OP - if you let the Maitre D' in Blu know that you'd like to be seated with others they can probably figure something out for you.

That's one of the advantages of the small dining room.

lol..and there is people like myself who are very reserved (Introverted)..not a big talker, thus 1 of the main reason we go BLU,lol

Sally:

Hi Don:)....My experiences have been varied....the times I have

been seated with others is when we had a nice roll call and I was part

of group.....but without that? No,....I would say that is not the way Blu

is set up...(you and Jeanne have been there)....to the OP, Blu is like

a "regular restaurant".....with the exception of how close the tables are....

it is quite easy to speak with the folks next to you (If they are so inclined)

to speak with you;).....I would suggest seeing if there are folks on your

roll call who want to share a table:).

But it is not like the main dining room, where folks are put together

at one table......(just being honest with you).....and (just my opinion)

if it is a priority for you to sit at a large table with others every night then

I would not recommend Blu.....(again, just my opinion).

Edited by Lois R

Thanks Lois. I would think of it more of a "regular" restaurant type setting.

Travelling solo can be a delicate balance of too much solitude versus too much talking! It's nice to sit down at a table with people where you don't have to start with all the common questions and answers that go with introductions.

We don't have a very active roll call but I think I will see if any are eating at Blu.

Edited by livyordrem

Well, I've had a different experience of Blu. We were often seated at one of the larger tables with other random people. Got to meet more people that way. I never went to dinner as a solo but often went to breakfast as a solo and had no trouble finding people to eat with and talk to.

Linda

I think the length of your cruise may influence your experience. I have found Blu tends to start off quiet and reserved. Good manners prevail and one would always greet fellow dinners with what my husband calls social pleasantries, good evening etc. Depending on the response a short addition conversation may take place. However a few days later Blu seems to be a much more animated restaurants. Sharing the highlights of a shore excursion or DIY trip with fellow dinners/cruisers is the norm, these conversations lengthen into other areas if people wish to engage. By this stage I have found we are at least exchanging greetings with a substantial number of people.

The area by the windows is usually more animated than the area at the back of Blu. Here the lighting is subdued and a more intimate atmosphere exists.

When Michaels club was the elite meeting place friendships, old or new, had chance to become established and this used to lead to parties being formed for dinner and for this reason only I miss Michael's club. The drinks packages, for me, have changed the ambiance of Celebrity cruising.

However, I have certainly been invited to join others if turning up to breakfast alone, the two top tables in the window make conversation easy. I think you will be alright.

Well, I've had a different experience of Blu. We were often seated at one of the larger tables with other random people. Got to meet more people that way. I never went to dinner as a solo but often went to breakfast as a solo and had no trouble finding people to eat with and talk to.

Linda

Hi Linda....looks like you have.....I have never been seated with

a "random table".......usually people come in together (like a

restaurant at home would be) and they are seated.......oh, you said

"we" so you go with other folks to begin with.....as a solo, they have

never offered to seat me at a random table with other people.

As for breakfast? In my opinion, that just has a totally different feel

to it than dinner. Even though Blu is casual, dinner has a totally different

feel from breakfast

Edited by Lois R