How much extra do you spend on food on Royal Caribbean

How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)  

399 members have voted

1. 1. How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)

I didn't answer the poll because I/we haven't spent any money to date on food, only drinks. However, our next 2 cruises we have a nice chunk of OBC plus a free night at a specialty restaurant. So while technically we will be spending money, we won't be coming out of pocket...

If a ship has JR's we will use one of our Diamond coupons for a BOGO shake. Our last cruise we had no specialty dining, but the one before that they still offered dining packages and we splurged. It was OK and we had the experience but overall the MDR is fine for us.

If we've got some OBC to burn and a menu looks particularly interesting we'd go to one.

Depends on the offerings on the ship. Usually Chop's & Giovanni's at least one time each cruise.

The MDR just seems to get more and more busy and louder each cruise to me. I think MTD (which we choose) has caused some of that with people coming in and out all the time. :confused:

We dine out quite regularly at home. While on vacation, I don't see the need to pay extra when my fare already includes food.

If Royal can't provide me with an acceptable level of food quality in the venues that are included with my cruise fare; then they will no longer get my cruising business.

It really depends on the ship. We really enjoy the chef's table, but it isn't offered on some of the ships. We usually do Chops & Giovanni's. (AOS doesn't have Chops)

Our B2B on Oasis the 2nd leg we only did one night at the MDR.

I will say somewhere between 30 - 250 - Jan

Hey Jan!

Very well said. Pretty much "ditto" for us. The more specialty restaurants onboard the more we go. We don't really like "repeating" restaurants in the same week...although we do on rare occasion. On OA/AL we basically skip MDR. On AD we do Giovanni's one night because of only one specialty restaurant. On JW we do Chops one night & Portofinos one night.We love Chef's Table and do it on any ship that offers it. If there aren't multiple specialty restaurants we do WJ some evenings as there are about 3 evenings that we just can't handle in the MDR menu.

Nada. I agree with other posters; if or when cruise ship provided meals are not acceptable to my satisfaction, I will reconsider cruising but I doubt it will never get that way/bad.

Just a simple poll to see how much additional money people are spending on upcharge specialty dining food / experiences onboard Royal Caribbean ships.

One of the better polls I've seen here in a while. The responses are interesting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Depends on the offerings on the ship. Usually Chop's & Giovanni's at least one time each cruise.

The MDR just seems to get more and more busy and louder each cruise to me. I think MTD (which we choose) has caused some of that with people coming in and out all the time. :confused:

Agreed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The poll was different from the Thread title which read: How much to spend on food." So I thought like snacks and stuff. I pay $0 for specialty dining. Don't see the need.

Perfectly happy with MDR and Windjammer. Have not every actually eaten in Johnny Rockets either.

If someone cares to change my vote feel free. :)

Our first cruise we were impressed with the main dinning rooms food. But we also liked wind jammer for all meals. All the options.

We saw no need to spend extra on speciality dinning.

Sendt fra min GT-I9295 med Tapatalk

Edited by 2time_cruiser

It depends on how I feel and what that particular ship has to offer. My last cruise I went to one and my Jewel sailing before that, I went to both Chops and Portofino. For my upcoming cruise, I'll be attending Giovanni's for one evening. But, with the uprise of solo cruising, my days of speciality dining are coming to an end.

I can't stand jr near me at home do have no need to eat on board. Last year on explorer we did portofino. It was fine. Nothing great. This year we did chops but it was comped. Once again better than mdr but nothing special. I'd rather eat in mdr and save my money honest out at nice places at home. We do occasionally do a Ben snd Kerry's or cupcake cafe.

Hey Jan!

Very well said. Pretty much "ditto" for us. The more specialty restaurants onboard the more we go. We don't really like "repeating" restaurants in the same week...although we do on rare occasion. On OA/AL we basically skip MDR. On AD we do Giovanni's one night because of only one specialty restaurant. On JW we do Chops one night & Portofinos one night.We love Chef's Table and do it on any ship that offers it. If there aren't multiple specialty restaurants we do WJ some evenings as there are about 3 evenings that we just can't handle in the MDR menu.

Exactly. So If I do not see a chefs table in the booking, there is not one , right? We are going on Independence.

I look at it this way. In a small subset of cruisers...and the majority of that subset has cruised many times and get substantial perks...two thirds of them spend $30 or less per person extra on food.

They must be getting a HUGE percentage of the first timers to fall for the extra charges or they would not be able to justify committing the space on the ship to those venues.

The majority of the people who are on this thread are heavy cruisers and many of us seem to "fall" for the extra charges lol I think its just foodies, people who eat out a lot and nonfoodies. Johnny Rockets is junk yet that's the one that all the non spenders are choosing to give there cash to, but not a penny of mine. Now the free guy fieros are on the Breeze...that I checked out:D

We enjoy the shake at Johnny Rockets, so will do that once during a cruise as a treat. If a ship has an Izumi we will do that. We enjoy Japanese food at home and since the MDR doesn't have a Japanese menu, we treat ourselves to Izumi once during a cruise. At home we would go out to eat a our favorite Japanese restaurant during the week anyway.

Other than that, we see no reason to a specialty restaurant. The food options in the MDR are perfectly fine. We have never felt we could not have a good dinner there.

Edited by Paulette3028