making a 9:10 am flight off sillouette

tommy47

If you have a later flt booked as a backup. On SW you can bank the 1st flt refund for 1yr for future use. Just cancel it if your to late to make it. The only problem is you trade relaxing on the ship for being stuck at airport all morning if miss 1st flt. I prefer waiting on the ship instead of getting home a few hours earlier.

If you have a later flt booked as a backup. On SW you can bank the 1st flt refund for 1yr for future use. Just cancel it if your to late to make it.

I would be very cautious doing this on 1 airline - it violates Southwest Contract of Carriage, and you run the risk of the airline canceling one or both of your reservations.

"Multiple Reservations. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same passenger departing from the same city on the same date. Furthermore, without notice to the passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel"

I would be very cautious doing this on 1 airline - it violates Southwest Contract of Carriage, and you run the risk of the airline canceling one or both of your reservations.

"Multiple Reservations. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same passenger departing from the same city on the same date. Furthermore, without notice to the passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel"

Where on the SW site can I find this.

Thank you

Where on the SW site can I find this.

Thank you

https://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/corporate-commitments/contract-of-carriage.pdf

scroll to the bottom of the Southwest homepage,

then click on "FAQ",

then "Contract of Carriage"

section 2 - (a) - 2 (v) (Multiple Reservations)

Edited by Nachosdelux

I'm surprised their computer system doesn't even catch the second reservation.

Just the stress of not knowing if you can get to the plane would be enough to drive me crazy. Cruising is about relaxing. Why ruin the relaxation mode by adding the stress of trying to catch a plane. Book a later flight and relax knowing that you have enough time to get to the airport. 9:30 is too close for comfort. I try to allow at least 3-4 hours between disembarkation and my flight. There are some cruises that get you off early. Some cruises get you off late. FLL is a zoo with all the cruises. MIA is a bit calmer.

i booked the trip jan 31st to feb.7 2016 because this was the week the nfl had no playoff games. the superbowl is feb 7th so i figured i would have no problem getting home for the 6:30 starting time. my wife and i have been on a cruise in January or February every year for like the last 20 years. every year weve been able to grab a direct flight between 10-1:00. its a 3 hour flight to Hartford ct.. when the flights for February came out for southwest and jet blue they had no flights during these times but i already booked the cruise never expecting this.

i booked the trip jan 31st to feb.7 2016 because this was the week the nfl had no playoff games. the superbowl is feb 7th so i figured i would have no problem getting home for the 6:30 starting time. my wife and i have been on a cruise in January or February every year for like the last 20 years. every year weve been able to grab a direct flight between 10-1:00. its a 3 hour flight to Hartford ct.. when the flights for February came out for southwest and jet blue they had no flights during these times but i already booked the cruise never expecting this.

Sooooo, not only could you potentially miss this early flight, you might end up watching the SuperBowl from some hotel room in Florida (or worse yet, the airport!). :eek:

Do you have a "Plan B?" :confused:

Unless you have such a compelling reason, why would you want to rush the morning of debarkation? We tried an early flight once and as Keith mentioned, I did think about it multiple times during cruise and for sure the morning of debarkation, my DW did not enjoy my constant 'lets go, we have to go, etc.'

We now book late morning or early afternoon flights and relax, read/talk and enjoy our trip home.

We have seen (and answered) the early flight question many times but with SWA and a Sunday in FLL it is an interesting issue. We normally suggest never ever booking a flight that early because you are totally at the mercy of the US CBP (Customs and Border Protection) folks to clear the ship. We have been on multiple cruises (been in and out of FLL dozens of times) where CBP has held-up clearing a ship...sometimes as late as 9:30! This is not the norm, but it does happen. So, assuming you can get off the ship early, grab a taxi and get to FLL you think you are home free! But guess what, FLL can be a total zoo on Sat and Sun mornings during the busy Caribbean season. And the worst TSA Security lines are generally at the entrance for the gates used by SWA! We once were stuck in a security line for well over an hour (we made our flight by minutes).

On the other hand, if we were going to gamble on an early flight we would only do it with SWA since you can rebook without penalty. This means calling them when you realize you have a problem and begging to be put on a later flight. But even without a penalty SW can (and often does) charge you the then current price for that later flight which can be substantially higher then what you paid for your early flight.

Personally, we would never consider a flight before 10:45, and even this can be risky. We have personally gambled on a 10:50 flight, but we qualify for priority debarkation which can be helpful. Otherwise one must use Express Debarkation, carry all their own bags, and pray :)

Hank

Keep another point in mind. To make matters worse on our cruise that did not start disembarkation until 9:30ish, our airline had bumped up the time of our flight by 45 minutes a couple weeks before the sailing! Now, if they do that they should be offering you the option of a different flight at no cost, but consider that most flights these days fly at full capacity (especially those flying out the day cruises disembark). We ended up making our flight (don't recall the exact time) but we had to literally run from place to place and also literally were the last ones to board the flight. Not an experience I would want to repeat.

Here's another vote against trying to catch a flight that early.

Cruise TT which shows ships in port has the Allure, Silhouette and Regal Princess in port for a passenger load of 11,886. FLL will be a ZOO!

There are several flight options that reduce your risk of missing your flight and get you to Hartford by about 5:00. If you can get home within an hour of the plane landing, you would catch all the action. Wouldn't it be a lot less stressful to think you might miss a few minutes rather than the entire game?

American has a flight at 10:20 that gets into Hartford at 4:30 with a connection in Charlotte

American has a flight at 11:59 that gets into Hartford at 5:00 with a connection in Washington (it has a lot more cushion and arrives only 30 minutes later plus it's a good bit cheaper than the earlier one)

Edited by bob278

If the ship arrives on time,odds of success 95%

is cleared fast, odds of success 95%

you can be one of the first off the ship with luggage in handodds of success 95%

no delays at Customs and Immigration, odds of success 90%

no delays getting to the airport,odds of success 95%

no long lines to drop off bags, odds of success 95%

no long lines for screening at TSA checkpoints,odds of success 90%

your gate is close byodds of success 90%,

then you might make it.

I calculate that to be somewhere around a 56% chance you will make it.

Keep in mind that if you don't make the flight, you will undoubtedly find all remaining later flights that day are sold out and you won't have success in flying standby on a later flight. You had better have a very solid Plan B and be prepared to spend many extra hours, and possibly an extra night, in Fort Lauderdale.

Let's increase the odds of each step a bit in your favor. Make the 95% probabilities 98% and the 90% probabilities 95%. To get the probability of a successful, result, you have to multiply them out. That makes the probability that you will make the flight 77%.

If you miss the flight, you may or may not be able to get another flight that day. If you do get it on the same day, it will probably cost you more. If you do not get it on that day, add the cost of a night's lodging and meals to your cost.

I would not chance it.

DON

It's a chance you take. Is it worth it to possibly miss your flight and then have to scramble to hopefully get another flight that day? Or worse yet, might have to stay another night. That is something you will have to decide. Personally I would rather not have to deal with the stress and book the flight for the next day.

We have taken early flights recently off of celebrity and flying United. Our flight was 10:30 when we booked it, but after several changes it ultimately ended up being 9:45! The next flight they offered wasn't until around 2 pm so we decided to chance it. We made the flight easily but I have to admit I was concerned throughout our cruise. We were one of the first in line for early disembarkation and got a taxi immediately.

If there were a flight a bit later, we would have taken that. If these things don't really worry you then go for it.

do you guys think I can make a 9:10 am flight on southwest out of fort Lauderdale on a sunday? thank you

I have a very basic question - WHAT'S YOUR RUSH? What do you accomplish by getting home a few hours earlier?

DON

Have you considered a major carrier? There are several airlines that service the East Coast, you don't need to be stuck with the low cost lines...