Upgraded Club Continental Suite

rallydave

Forgive me, I do NOT want to be negative as I am a BIG Az fan......I am aware that Larry P is onboard.....and I expect his lovely wife too.

First, sorry for the UK weather!!

Second, I know you will never be in a CC or Balcony cabin...unlike the rest of us!!

But, please imagine yourselves there.

Would you be happy with the drawer space, the hanging space on the wardrobes, the bathrooms (I realise that a lot of folks booking CC are doing so because of the bathtub).... It's not an issue for me personally but hanging and drawer space sure is!!

I will never book a CC cabin...but I will hopefully be booking balcony cabins for a few years yet!!

I see on Twitter that you gave a talk Larry to TAs selling to "affluent" folks??????

I know Az look at these posts so perhaps you will take these comments in the spirit in which they are meant.

Joyce

..... There is a pivoting spotlight for reading built into the light fixtures on the headboard in both verandas and suites.

Thanks for the info on the reading light. This makes me very happy. My aging eyes just need a lot more light to see properly.

Thanks for the info on the reading light. This makes me very happy. My aging eyes just need a lot more light to see properly.

I'm very pleased as well.

When they replaced the mattresses a few years ago, in the middle of our cruise itinerary, the table lamps at the sides of the bed were, as a result, noticeably too low for comfortable reading.

Now, whilst on board, I can continue to enjoy the recommendations of posters on this forum.

I think the thing that concerns me the most is what happened to all the storage? We took the Viking Star maiden voyage, and while the ship was breathtaking, the food excellent, and the cabin bathrooms amazing, the thing that will keep us from trying them again is what I see here. There doesn't seem to be any storage. Are there drawers in the closets I hope?

On the Viking Star, there were only three drawers and a smallish closet with only hanging rods. Even the desk had no drawers at all, just a roll out minibar. We had to resort to piling clothes and souvenirs on the chairs and coffee table and keeping things in the suitcases under the beds and constantly hauling them out. It doesn't sound like much when you're reading about it, but it made us crazy. In talking with other passengers, this is what they were doing as well. It was as though in their desire to be minimalist, clean lines, blah, blah, blah, the storage all disappeared and the cabins looked more crowded than ever once people got in there with their stuff.

That low ledge in the CC suite that we have booked for 2016 on Quest looks like the place in a hotel room where you'd rest your luggage. I'd be much more comfortable if that was one level with drawers all the way to the floor as I don't want to see my luggage once I've unpacked. I'm also worried about where we'll put our toothbrushes and basic sink items. Not over the toilet as someone upthread mentioned.

Hopefully whoever has these trial cabins can provide some good feedback, and maybe our concerns will turn out to be either unwarranted or Azamara is nimble enough to change things on the fly.

I didn't even realise that there may not be a bathtub, only a walk-in shower. That might be a deal breaker for me. DH only showers but I prefer to bathe.The bath is one of the reasons we book a club continent suite.

I upgraded, as a solo cruiser, to get the bathtub. I want the cruise I have booked, so very badly, and need it even worse because of massive stress at home. But I just don't know that I can upgrade, again, and pay even more money (twice), for my bathtub. The situation has honestly had me in tears off and on, since I saw that picture.

The overall look is much brighter and cleaner. I think most folks are concerned about the function and comfort of the new look.

Hopefully the updated deck plans will be out soon. We originally booked a room with a sofa/love seat.

We love the idea of a shower and no shower curtain :-). However, the placement of the shower head is interesting. Will we have to hold it in our hands? Will make shampooing interesting.

The storage shelves look like they are above the toilet and there are no bars or doors to keep things from falling. Not the most sanitary location for storage. Oops...if you happen to drop an item....splash!

"I see on Twitter that you gave a talk Larry to TAs selling to "affluent" folks??????"

Wow! If those of us who can cruise Azamara in the first place, and can afford a CC suite (or better), aren't "affluent" then I guess I'm really misinformed. (or maybe I'm misinterpreting here) But that comment bothers me a bit...sounds a bit snobby.

I'm just very glad I'm on the Quest before all the new furniture is installed. The thing that makes the, relatively small, cabins work is the well thought out storage space. Lots of dresser and side table drawers, good storage in the bathroom, and also in the closet. I hate clutter and if I'm on board for two weeks (or more) I don't want stuff piled on chairs or have to pull out suitcases every time. I also do not want to store toiletries on open shelves above the commode! The modern design is nice enough but, as they say, the devil is in the details and I think the designers forgot about practicality. JMO

I think the thing that concerns me the most is what happened to all the storage? We took the Viking Star maiden voyage, and while the ship was breathtaking, the food excellent, and the cabin bathrooms amazing, the thing that will keep us from trying them again is what I see here. There doesn't seem to be any storage. Are there drawers in the closets I hope?

On the Viking Star, there were only three drawers and a smallish closet with only hanging rods. Even the desk had no drawers at all, just a roll out minibar. We had to resort to piling clothes and souvenirs on the chairs and coffee table and keeping things in the suitcases under the beds and constantly hauling them out. It doesn't sound like much when you're reading about it, but it made us crazy. In talking with other passengers, this is what they were doing as well. It was as though in their desire to be minimalist, clean lines, blah, blah, blah, the storage all disappeared and the cabins looked more crowded than ever once people got in there with their stuff.

That low ledge in the CC suite that we have booked for 2016 on Quest looks like the place in a hotel room where you'd rest your luggage. I'd be much more comfortable if that was one level with drawers all the way to the floor as I don't want to see my luggage once I've unpacked. I'm also worried about where we'll put our toothbrushes and basic sink items. Not over the toilet as someone upthread mentioned.

Hopefully whoever has these trial cabins can provide some good feedback, and maybe our concerns will turn out to be either unwarranted or Azamara is nimble enough to change things on the fly.

There are four or five shelves in the closet. Feedback on the three large drawers in the too-low level of the credenza has been given. One hopes they will listen. It would be inconvenient to even place onto and take things from that low a surface. Serves no purpose on a cruise ship where you are not living out of your suitcases.

"I see on Twitter that you gave a talk Larry to TAs selling to "affluent" folks??????"

Wow! If those of us who can cruise Azamara in the first place, and can afford a CC suite (or better), aren't "affluent" then I guess I'm really misinformed. (or maybe I'm misinterpreting here) But that comment bothers me a bit...sounds a bit snobby.

I'm just very glad I'm on the Quest before all the new furniture is installed. The thing that makes the, relatively small, cabins work is the well thought out storage space. Lots of dresser and side table drawers, good storage in the bathroom, and also in the closet. I hate clutter and if I'm on board for two weeks (or more) I don't want stuff piled on chairs or have to pull out suitcases every time. I also do not want to store toiletries on open shelves above the commode! The modern design is nice enough but, as they say, the devil is in the details and I think the designers forgot about practicality. JMO

Veranda staterooms will have the same storage in the closet and desk. It's the CC suites that have new hard furniture opposite the bed. Nightstands are new in both stateroom types.

Edited by marinaro44

The overall look is much brighter and cleaner. I think most folks are concerned about the function and comfort of the new look.

Hopefully the updated deck plans will be out soon. We originally booked a room with a sofa/love seat.

We love the idea of a shower and no shower curtain :-). However, the placement of the shower head is interesting. Will we have to hold it in our hands? Will make shampooing interesting.

The storage shelves look like they are above the toilet and there are no bars or doors to keep things from falling. Not the most sanitary location for storage. Oops...if you happen to drop an item....splash!

As I wrote above, there is a fixed shower head as well as a hand-held. There are inch-high edges on the shelves that will stop things from sliding off. In suites, there are three shelves measuring about 9 by 30 inches each. Verandas have three smaller shelves, with slightly shorter retaining edges

We saw the new look rooms today as we had a day onboard

Personally we think they are fantastic, the suite looks so much bigger because of the low white furniture along the wall. There is one less wardrobe - now a double plus a single shelfed cupboard. This really opens up the space. You also have three deep drawers

What an improvement the shower for the old bath

Lovely night stands and two wall mounted sockets by the bed, great for phone charging.

Large seat plus second seat,both really comfortable

The verandah cabin has a small sofa, the shower although it still has a curtain is much better laid out and much more spacious

I have a couple of pics but did not have a camera just some pics on the iPad aren't good. Got to work out how to post

Ps the carpet looks fine, we did not notice it looking wrong at all

Pps the headboard on the verandah room is particularly stylish

Edited by uktog

When we visited the suite we noticed it was set up ready for guests and we saw a cruise critic invite on the desk so hopefully some user tester experience will be posted very soon

As the details are shaking out, it does appear to be better than first impressions of the early pictures. If, as uktog said, both side chairs are comfortable, one of my concerns is addressed. But I am still hopeful that the cabins on our upcoming extended cruises will have at least that sofa (and it would be wonderful if it was a sofa AND a big chair, but I won't hold my breath for that). Just an observation - the sofa looks a bit strange. If two people wanted to sit and lean back, they would be at angles almost facing each other. Might get into a knee-knocking contest. :D

I guess having dinner in the cabin is a thing of the past. It would certainly be impossible inside and difficult on the balcony.

I can't see the restraining barriers marinarao44 mentioned on the shelves above the toilet but hope there is something.

The empty space beside the sink is a terrible waste of space. I hope they decide to fill in at least one side so there is more surface for things. Many people would much prefer to have stuff there than off to the side.

It is a surprise to me that Azamara did not at least maintain storage space in the closets/wardrobes given that most of there cruises are 12 or more days.

It almost seems that they are targeting people who want to feel a more open-space cabin and will be taking shorter cruises. And one extremely deep and wide drawer may have a lot of storage space, but you will have to dig through layers to get to most of it.

I look forward to reviews by people who have stayed in the cabin and updates on exact furniture configurations and (hopefully) any changes made based on feedback. If this prototype was meant to allow for that feedback, it was a great idea.

Edited by bob278

I still am not "getting" from these pictures the idea that the room feels more spacious...I don't understand why the desk chair is now positioned to back up right into one of the two "sitting" chairs...Seems like a big cluttered mess when you'd want to go onto the balcony...

If anyone is able, what I would like to see is what is left between the entrance door and the bed: ie what DO the wardrobe areas look like if they actually REMOVED one of them...and why would they remove wardrobe space/cupboard space? What has taken the place of it? (open space?? The long and what looks to be useless low drawer space below the tv??)

I know this is difficult to speculate, and everyone has a different viewpoint/needs, BUT with the changes made: IS the club continent suite now worth the extra money?? I am asking this because we have only stayed in a club continent suite and haven't actually been IN a veranda to compare "size" and "feel".

More specifically re:

SITTING SPACE: In a veranda, with sofa, do they have another soft chair to sit in, or are quarters too tight for anything OTHER than the sofa?

WARDROBE/STORAGE SPACE: In a veranda, how much wardrobe space is there? Was it the same as in the suites, or was it smaller?

I am asking because we are currently booked for a club continent suite and, contrary to "popular" opinion, we did NOT book it because we are "affluent" and have tons of money to throw around...It is a big big investment for us, compared to our income, which is moderate to say the least...

I have a lot of thinking to do as to whether we need to cancel this booking and switch to a veranda...

Liz

p.s. on an "aside", and not wanting to switch topics....

but if they are making these changes in the suites and also putting in "spa suites", how are we to know whether we should have not even BOOKED yet and waited to see what the spa suites cost and what THEY look like?? Maybe they will have a better layout? Does anyone know??

There is a two doored wardrobe and a single door wardrobe with deep shelves (this wardrobe also contains the safe. To the right of that is the fridge in a cupboard, it seemed a slightly bigger fridge. The top of the fridge gives a useful shelf. There are deep drawers and useful smaller drawers under the dressing table.

Honestly the room next door that has not been done looked more cluttered. I think the fact the curtains have tie backs and are fully pulled back contribute to the spacious feel because the room is much much lighter

There is a two doored wardrobe and a single door wardrobe with deep shelves (this wardrobe also contains the safe. To the right of that is the fridge in a cupboard, it seemed a slightly bigger fridge. The top of the fridge gives a useful shelf. There are deep drawers and useful smaller drawers under the dressing table.

Honestly the room next door that has not been done looked more cluttered. I think the fact the curtains have tie backs and are fully pulled back contribute to the spacious feel because the room is much much lighter

We certainly appreciate your answering questions. As proof that no good deed goes unpunished, I have more.

• Is there any hanging space in the single wardrobe? That would be a concern on longer cruises.
  • Are there two deep drawers under the dressing table? They could sure make that space more efficient by making them two drawers high which would double the surface area and not lose much volume at all.
  • Have you ever seen a dressing table without a mirror? (I ask that on behalf of ladies everywhere) :D

We sure enjoyed sailing with you on the Infinity and hope to meet up again.

We certainly appreciate your answering questions. As proof that no good deed goes unpunished, I have more.

• Is there any hanging space in the single wardrobe? That would be a concern on longer cruises.
  • Are there two deep drawers under the dressing table? They could sure make that space more efficient by making them two drawers high which would double the surface area and not lose much volume at all.
  • Have you ever seen a dressing table without a mirror? (I ask that on behalf of ladies everywhere) :D

We sure enjoyed sailing with you on the Infinity and hope to meet up again.

Hi Bob

There was no hanging space in the smaller wardrobe

The drawers under the dressing table were deeper than ones on other ships

Good point no mirror though I use a hand held one most of the time

Yes Infinity was great!!!!! Hope to see you and Garry one cruise soon

Edited by uktog

Don't think of ourselves as particularly affluent, but we get by and have three Azamara cruises a year, balcony or above, and other holidays without starving but are becoming more and more confused and concerned about the direction of Azamara which I have to say does not relate to the average passenger we have met and kept in contact over the last four years where affluence is irrelevant and good company and good service is paramount and up until now has been provided by Azamara. Time Azamara realised they are good, but not that good, and if they want to push loyal passengers towards more inclusive, premium bar, no pay restaurants competitors they are going the right way, particularly with some of the ambitious pricing and "special offers" they continuously revolve. The changing of the hugely popular outdoors area at the rear of windows to make it into a "speciality" and pay restaurant illustrates that perfectly, as does the plan to upgrade the pool grill where people can dine to live music or a movie. Come on, that's for Royal Caribbean where most of Azamara passengers have developed from, via Celebrity. In plain speak, the main attraction to Azamara is the fantastic personnel onboard who also become good friends and give great service with becoming obsequious or false.

If there is no mirror on the dressing table, and you can't plug a hair dryer in, in the bathroom, how do ladies dry their hair?? I haven't seen a cruise line bathroom that had a plug for a hair dryer yet. And with a couple, that would mean the husband couldn't shower until his wife had her makeup done (steam).

I also really like that little sofa; it also has some throw cushions that could be used as padding on the coffee table if you needed to prop your feet up.

I really hope Azamara is reading some of these comments. I want to keep my booking!

Hi Bob

There was no hanging space in the smaller wardrobe

The drawers under the dressing table were deeper than ones on other ships

Good point no mirror though I use a hand held one most of the time

Yes Infinity was great!!!!! Hope to see you and Garry one cruise soon

Thanks, Ann. It looks like the storage "space" is decent, just not as convenient as it could be. I think the double wardrobe will get crowded for folks like us who almost always do b2b and are on board for a month or longer.

It still seems to me that they went for more form over function. Hopefully we'll luck out on our two cruises and the cabins we have will include a sofa bed (not the chair or loveseat we've seen).

Veranda cabin.

image.jpg8_zpspvhhp1lq.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsew7hvg03.jpg

Phil

Excitedofharpendem,

Thanks for the great pics! Could you elaborate if that love seat was in a balcony or CC suite. It doesn't look too comfy, but it will seat two. As for the bath counter situation.... I think one of those corner triangle baskets with suction cups might work if needed. I second the need for a mirror over the desk. Has anyone taken a pic of the closet space?