Upgraded Club Continental Suite

rallydave

I for one hate the drawers. I do not want to sit on the floor to get clothes out of a drawer. Might as well sit on floor to open a suitcase, this is stupid. Also I hate the sinks. Right now in Kerry and not enough counter space, on ship for six to eight weeks at a time.. This is not a great cabin for weeks at a time. I feel sorry for my cabin attendant who has to clean up. Guess I will have a chair removed so I can walk around cabin as I spend hours outside reading

I am new to this board but not cruising and we have an AZ cruise booked down the road and are friends with a number of AZ staff from their SeaDream days. We have sailed on other R-Ships and like them. Having said all that, I just can't not say something about this "refit" of the cabins. I agree fully that this is not good. Who ever brought up the sharp edges is right on the money. What I am seeing so far looks like a newish Hampton Inn. The carpet is simply beyond words. Why is it so impossible to freshen up a ship and make it look like, well, a SHIP!?? Just my simple observations.:D

We saw the new look rooms today as we had a day onboard

Personally we think they are fantastic, the suite looks so much bigger because of the low white furniture along the wall. There is one less wardrobe - now a double plus a single shelfed cupboard. This really opens up the space. You also have three deep drawers

What an improvement the shower for the old bath

Lovely night stands and two wall mounted sockets by the bed, great for phone charging.

Large seat plus second seat,both really comfortable

The verandah cabin has a small sofa, the shower although it still has a curtain is much better laid out and much more spacious

I have a couple of pics but did not have a camera just some pics on the iPad aren't good. Got to work out how to post

Ps the carpet looks fine, we did not notice it looking wrong at all

Pps the headboard on the verandah room is particularly stylish

Thanks so much for the update. It's great to hear from someone who has some first hand experience seeing the room. I have always been excited by these renovations, but your comments have me even more convinced that things are going well onboard. I am surprised by all of the negative nellies and ugly comments on here, but I respect everyone's opinions regardless. I am wondering if these rooms were done as "tester" rooms to gain feedback before embarking on updating all the rooms. Like I said on my earlier post, you can never make everyone happy, but hopefully some adjustments will be made to appease the majority of critics.

Michael

I thought it might be interesting to put a before and after shot side by side, so here it is:

ccs.jpg

To be fair the after shot was taken on a rather grey Edinburgh day, so there is no sunlight to help. The colour palette in the after shot is definitely more muted and the use of wood has gone. However the before shot does to me look rather dated.

I can understand why they have gone for certain design concepts to give as spacious a feel as possible in a relatively small space, but like others I feel that the functional side has not been thought through carefully enough. Just look at all the drawers on the before image! Also in the bathroom they really do need to add some retainers to the shelves otherwise everything will be falling off when there is a slight swell.

But on the whole I am loving what I am seeing and can't wait to see what the whole ship looks like next year. With a few tweaks here and there it will be fabulous re-imagination!

It might be the same kind of coffee table that is in the cabins on Celebrity. Those have pedestals that raise and lower, depending on what the need is.

Or maybe they want you to sit on the balcony.

I have no point of reference on the changes as our first Azamara experience is 13 months away. But from what I see here, I agree that the carpet is just awful and the side of the bathroom counter should touch the wall. I also like a loveseat and not a single chair. However, I'm sure the cruise will be wonderful and we'll enjoy every drop of it.

Excitedofharpendem,

Thanks for the great pics! Could you elaborate if that love seat was in a balcony or CC suite. It doesn't look too comfy, but it will seat two. As for the bath counter situation.... I think one of those corner triangle baskets with suction cups might work if needed. I second the need for a mirror over the desk. Has anyone taken a pic of the closet space?

This was in a balcony cabin

The renderings for the refurbishment of the Club Continent Suites (when the upgrade was announced) showed that there would only be a walk in shower and no bath tub, but we await Bonnie's confirmation of this.

Thanks Minz. I'd looked at photos posted of the remodel,but did not see this one of the Club Continent Suite bathroom until you posted it (otherwise I would not have asked the question re: tubs, of course!) Well, as I said, the reason we book a Club Continent Suite is largely for the tub, as both my husband and I enjoy enjoying soaking in it after a busy day walking for 5-7 hours in port. Taking away the bathtub is a downgrade, in my view (and I thought Azamara's re-do idea was to upgrade). We have a 14 day trip booked on Azamara Journey December 2016-- I cannot imagine not having a bathtub for that long. We were really looking forward to the trip as the itinerary is great and we love the overnights/longer stays Azamara offers. However, not having a tub in what is supposed to be a luxury/semi-luxury suite is just BS, in my opinion. So, unless Bonnie tells me otherwise or Azamara changes it's mind, will have to cancel that trip. Azamara may not care as it is a Christmas trip that is so far out, that they will easily be able to fill our spot that particular trip. But they'll have permanently lost what were enthusiastic Azamara cruisers forever. (See my positive review of the December 2014 South America Journey trip). We were on Seabourn in May 2015-- great bathroom with double sinks (tub, of course), tons of storage, great food, LOVED it and it was actually cheaper than what Azamara was offering at the time, which is why I booked it. But, like most ships , Seabourn tends to be in and out of port 8am-- 5pm. Then again, if I'm supposed to be in a "luxury or semi-luxury suite" on Azamara and it doesn't even have an effing bathtub, that a no go/bad value for me! Thanks again Minz and I hope to hear from Bonnie. Maybe she'll tell me I can book a handicapped cabin for cheap and have a tub... who knows? We'll see.

What is this? I'm guessing it's a light of some sort but what is that vertical bar below? From the pictures it doesn't look like a light beside the bed headboard.

image.jpg6_zpshqqei6qo.jpg

These are two lights, the top on is a general room light the bottom "vertical bar" is a really neat strong reading light like they have on the business class seats on planes. It is multi directional but then lies back in the housing when not in use so is not a "safety issue"

Thanks Minz. I'd looked at photos posted of the remodel,but did not see this one of the Club Continent Suite bathroom until you posted it (otherwise I would not have asked the question re: tubs, of course!) Well, as I said, the reason we book a Club Continent Suite is largely for the tub, as both my husband and I enjoy enjoying soaking in it after a busy day walking for 5-7 hours in port. Taking away the bathtub is a downgrade, in my view (and I thought Azamara's re-do idea was to upgrade). We have a 14 day trip booked on Azamara Journey December 2016-- I cannot imagine not having a bathtub for that long. We were really looking forward to the trip as the itinerary is great and we love the overnights/longer stays Azamara offers. However, not having a tub in what is supposed to be a luxury/semi-luxury suite is just BS, in my opinion. So, unless Bonnie tells me otherwise or Azamara changes it's mind, will have to cancel that trip. Azamara may not care as it is a Christmas trip that is so far out, that they will easily be able to fill our spot that particular trip. But they'll have permanently lost what were enthusiastic Azamara cruisers forever. (See my positive review of the December 2014 South America Journey trip). We were on Seabourn in May 2015-- great bathroom with double sinks (tub, of course), tons of storage, great food, LOVED it and it was actually cheaper than what Azamara was offering at the time, which is why I booked it. But, like most ships , Seabourn tends to be in and out of port 8am-- 5pm. Then again, if I'm supposed to be in a "luxury or semi-luxury suite" on Azamara and it doesn't even have an effing bathtub, that a no go/bad value for me! Thanks again Minz and I hope to hear from Bonnie. Maybe she'll tell me I can book a handicapped cabin for cheap and have a tub... who knows? We'll see.

I got the impression there might be a mix of rooms with tubs and rooms with baths but I may be wrong. Personally I hate the tubs but respect that others have different views.

Bonnie seemed to say some rooms would have sofas and some not

Well for those with existing bookings if that is all correct I am sure we will have a sort out period of trying to swap to our preferences = time will tell how that is handled if it is true that there will be variants

I can't see the restraining barriers marinarao44 mentioned on the shelves above the toilet but hope there is something.

No reason to "hope." I saw them, touched them, measured them...and they are there. They are solid, unlike the little metal bars at shelf edges in today's verandas that let items slide off the shelves under the bars.

Overall I really like the new look. I'm sure there will be tinkering around which is one of the reasons they've built a couple of them early. A very good idea.

We are in a Club World Owners suite coming up in about a month. Does anyone know if it's been refurbed? The pictures look great

The CW Owner's Suites and Club Ocean Suites were partially refurbished toward the end of last year, but there are still things to do including a completely new bathroom, TV and sound systems and lighting that will happen at drydock. I took some photos of the modernised cabin and you can see them here:

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/excitedofharpenden/library/Azamara%20Cabins

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I haven't forgotten your question about tubs. I'll get back to you when I hear.

Don't think of ourselves as particularly affluent, but we get by and have three Azamara cruises a year, balcony or above, and other holidays without starving but are becoming more and more confused and concerned about the direction of Azamara which I have to say does not relate to the average passenger we have met and kept in contact over the last four years where affluence is irrelevant and good company and good service is paramount and up until now has been provided by Azamara. Time Azamara realised they are good, but not that good, and if they want to push loyal passengers towards more inclusive, premium bar, no pay restaurants competitors they are going the right way, particularly with some of the ambitious pricing and "special offers" they continuously revolve. The changing of the hugely popular outdoors area at the rear of windows to make it into a "speciality" and pay restaurant illustrates that perfectly, as does the plan to

upgrade the pool grill where people can dine to live music or a movie. Come on, that's for Royal Caribbean where most of Azamara passengers have developed from, via Celebrity. In plain speak, the main attraction to Azamara is the fantastic personnel onboard who also become good friends and give great service with becoming obsequious or false.

Totally agree.......

Having come through the Royal Caribbean then Celebrity route ourselves, Azamara was a breath of fresh air when we first found them. Not having to put up with continuous loud music at every venue, or large video screen over the pool 24hrs a day, or trying to sell us something at every turn... was the Azamara differentiator and why we cruise with them.(at present!)

I hope this doesn't change.

John

Interesting to see the renderings come to life but like others a few questions definitely pop up.

For the seating, I remember that Crystal went with the big dramatic chair in one of their refits and the response was so negative to loosing the love seat that they ended up adding the love seats back. I definitely prefer a love seat and chair. I also don't see a place for in room dining. The current suites have a nice coffee table that will fit a tray of food but these new little round tables barely accommodate a champagne bucket. It seems the only option for in room dining is on the veranda. I also agree with everyone's comments about the sink area.

I think it's great that Azamara is investing in upgrades to their fleet and one of the reasons we're making the switch from a suite on Celebrity to Azamara. That being said it doesn't seem that many of the design choices for this suite were well thought out or took function into consideration. We realize how lucky we are that these are the concerns we have in life now and are still looking forward to our upcoming cruise and the other upgrades but can't not scratch our heads on some of their choices.

Hi Bonnie,

I'm not sure if you know but will there be a table large enough to host a dinner for two in the staterooms? In my earlier post above I noted that the little table in the photo did not look like it would handle in room dining and we do a lot of that so it's kind of a big deal. Also, are the design choices we see in the photos the final designs that are to be installed or is there room for tweaking? It may be worthwhile to go to the Crystal board and do a search for "the chair" or "big chair". You'll find that having one big chair in the staterooms was not a popular change and had to be rectified in the following refit. And while I think the crescent shaped loveseat/halfchair in the verandas are cute? they certainly don't look like something we could both relax on comfortably. If you read my reviews you'll see I'm a super positive guy and I actually like the design aesthetic in general but I just can't help notice that the designs approved don't do a good job of maximizing function and comfort in a limited space. We really want to love our Azamara experience but a comfortable stateroom is a must and I've been asked (translation - instructed) to check out some other lines' itineraries. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more!

Thanks so much to you Bonnie and also to all who are posting photos!

Todd and Troy

Edited by T&T

I am told THERE WILL BE BATHTUBS, but I cannot confirm where until the deck plans are released.

I am told THERE WILL BE BATHTUBS, but I cannot confirm where until the deck plans are released.

Bonnie, thanks for keeping us current.

I can just imagine all the symbols needed on the deck plans for just the Club Continent Suites combinations:

* Bath/shower, comfort chair

** Bath/shower, sofa bed

# Shower, comfort chair

## Shower, sofa bed

@ Accessible, comfort chair

@^ Accessible sofa bed (not too likely as it will take more space)

? and who know how many others

I can't wait to find out the configuration of the two cabins we have in 2016 and 2017 for extended (45 and 34 days) cruises. Both are selling really well so we will almost certainly have to live with whatever they are in spite of our preferences. But to paraphrase the old saying about cruises and work, A poor cabin configuration on Azamara is better than a good configuration on most other ships.

Bonnie, thanks for keeping us current.

I can just imagine all the symbols needed on the deck plans for just the Club Continent Suites combinations:

* Bath/shower, comfort chair

** Bath/shower, sofa bed

# Shower, comfort chair

## Shower, sofa bed

@ Accessible, comfort chair

@^ Accessible sofa bed (not too likely as it will take more space)

? and who know how many others

I can't wait to find out the configuration of the two cabins we have in 2016 and 2017 for extended (45 and 34 days) cruises. Both are selling really well so we will almost certainly have to live with whatever they are in spite of our preferences. But to paraphrase the old saying about cruises and work, A poor cabin configuration on Azamara is better than a good configuration on most other ships.

Maybe Azamara will let us trade amongst ourselves when we find out who has tubs or walk in showers :)

My preference is Walk in shower & sofa combo..... At 5'0" I am toooo short to safely climb in and out of a tub to shower without killing myself. As I'm sooooo short Travel Ins. May consider that a pre-existing condition !!

Edited by JVilleGal

Maybe Azamara will let us trade amongst ourselves when we find out who has tubs or walk in showers :)

That's not as far fetched as you might think.

I actually did that once on Royal Caribbean. We swapped cabins with someone on a roll call by letting our travel agents work it out. I posted the question and got a response. It was a simple change. We had next-door cabins in the same category but we had one cabin for the first and third leg of a b2b and the one next door for the second leg. The other folks didn't mind and everyone ended up happy.

But it wouldn''t work for us on the Journey as that is our exact preference.

Edited by bob278