Have you/ are you going to cancel your NCL bookings

MrJoeBlack

I have 3 booked and 5 future cruise certificates. I am not going to cancel anything nor am I not going to use those certs. I am very happy with the product onboard. The only thing I am a little unhappy about is the same old repetitive itineraries but Mr Del Rio has expressed that he wants to see an end to 7 night milk runs out of Miami so I live in hope on that one.

In light of the overwhelming changes in such a short span is it enough to get you to cancel your current bookings?

Personally for my family and I the answer is YES, 2 Suites Cancelled and I'm not looking back at this train wreck until they realize constantly changing the product makes people feel uneasy and abused.

Cancel a vacation because of a few extra dollars? Absolutely not.

Not sure where you vacation, shop or eat out, but everything is priced higher these days.

Booked a Suite on Breakaway for October & have zero plans to cancel. I'll probably book another cruise once on board.

Personally, if money was so tight that I couldn't absorb some extra costs, I'd stay home.

Not cancelling anything!!!... In this day and age, as well as this economy, companies must adapt to an ever changing world... My vacation is my escape from work/everyday life, a couple of extra bucks aren't stopping me...

In light of the overwhelming changes in such a short span is it enough to get you to cancel your current bookings?

Personally for my family and I the answer is YES, 2 Suites Cancelled and I'm not looking back at this train wreck until they realize constantly changing the product makes people feel uneasy and abused.

Wait you cancelled 2 suites?!? Unless you booked in May you realize that all the changes were covered with the promo and they didn't effect you. Heck if you booked before May your gratuities were included with suites. If you booked June or July if you prepaid they would have been at the current rates.

Why would I cancel a cruise when changes have not effected my cost unless I'm not thinking.

I have a feeling that you will regret your decision when you end up taking a vacation that ends up costing more than if you had kept those bookings, but hey, in your mind you sure showed them!

First time on NCL...many cruises on Princess. For our last cruise I thought the food was (being polite) not so great. We have the dining package so I expect to have dinner in a specialty each of our twelve nights onboard. We already have two airline tickets to Barcelona so cancelling at this point makes no sense for us. I love the ports we are going to so I can only hope that NCL lives up to my expectations. If not it will be one and done for me.

Not yet. The changes thus far haven't been deal breakers (the "no food back to room" policy came close as we'll be travelling with a toddler, but was reversed). As I've said before, the frequent changes have undercut my confidence that what I told I was receiving in March is what I will receive next May. If they change something that is a big deal to us, we might cancel or choose not to book in the future.

I wont cancel but I likely wont book next years cruises on NCL. Ill be exploring other lines next year. Not because of the changes just the customer service in general. Im growing more and more disenchanted with NCL. The price dropped significantly on my upcoming cruise and they refused to honor it. That sealed the deal for me.

I am a NCL virgin, and will be sailing December 2016. I have been a loyal Princess cruiser, but am taking a chance on NCL due to sailing solo and not having to pay the supplement on NCL. I hope my experience is a good one. Unless things drastically change, I will not cancel.

Welcome to Norwegian! In spite of its present, idiotic campaign to reinforce every negative perception of NCL, I think it compares favorably with Princess. Have fun!

So, I have one cruise booked for November. I went in yesterday to pre-pay my gratuity since I read about the new increase and I realized I was locked into what I originally booked ($12.00 p.p. per day). As long as I pre-pay before my final payment is due. Most of us pre-pay anyway as to not have the additional charge on the ship. So what would be the point of cancelling they are still giving me what I contracted for.

Same goes with UBP. I booked when they where not charging Gratuity. That hasn't changed. Now if I had booked a few months later I would have been booking it knowing I had to pay the gratuity. Again, it would be what I committed to. I didn't need to accept that promo.

Now if the questions is will I book another, I am not sure it will depend on the deal given to me at the time of booking. As of now, the deal that I booked is still far below what comparable cruises are selling for on different lines. I get that change is sometime hard to take and I can see how it may impact people on future bookings, but I guess I don't see the point in cancelling since NCL hasn't really changed anything I or they originally committed to.

And for those who say well the gratuity went up in Specialty Restaurants keep in mind that was never guaranteed it wasn't in your cruise contract. Say you have a favorite restaurant in your home town. You go every week and order the same Filet Dinner. But this week you go and it is $5.00 more because the price of Beef has increased so much over the last couple weeks. Do you no longer go to that restaurant because they deliberately upped the price of the Filet by $5.00? Do you truly believe they did it just to upset you???

I guess I must be missing something?!?!

Honestly thinking about canceling myself.... It's not just the constant change in prices (although it is not so high). I really don't like all the changes being made in such a short time span. Makes me trust the company less. May rebook sometime a long time from now, after there is a proven track record with these changes, and once they settle down a bit and we can go a full year without raising costs [emoji19]

Clearly you are not monitoring what is happening with other cruise lines. They are all going through big changes and several have increased gratuities. I know I pay more for groceries and other necessities now than I did in the past. I can't understand why people think prices for cruises would not increase.

Back in 1981 we paid $900 per person for an inside cabin on Home Lines. Now, you can often get a balcony for that.

Pricing was skewed downward because of the huge drops after 9/11, the economic downturn of 2007/2008 and the Costa Concordia incident. Unless something happens along those lines I think we can expect to see prices increase and stay up there. RCCL and Carnival Corp. have announced price increases and say they will no longer offer the heavily discounted last minute fares. I have seen prices on both of those lines increase significantly. For example we always take a Grand Suite on Royal Caribbean. As late as last year we were getting them from between `1399 and 1699 per person. Now, we are looking at $2000 to $2500 per person for those cabins, depending on the sailing.

We also go on all inclusive vacations. They are getting even more expensive with higher airfare and many countries adding additional taxes and now many hotels include the gratuities in the price. What we paid $3000 for 2 years ago just cost us $4900. Same hotel, same room category, same airline, same time of year and same number of nights.

Cruising is still the best value out there.

We're not canceling our booking. We are somewhat insulated from these increases since we booked the Haven back when they offered free gratuities, UDP and UBP + $300 OBC and the 3rd person goes for free. Our UBD + UBC + soda package for the 3rd person include the gratuities. But, then again we are paying through the nose for the haven.

Edited by DebJ14

NCL used among my favorite lines. Now, NCL is doing their best to drive me away forever.

1. Reducing service from NYC.

2. Increasing fares.

3. Rapidly increasing fees.

4. New fees for things that used to be included.

5. Increasing specialty dining fees.

6. The no food in cabin unless you buy it (ie. $8 room service) fiasco.

7. Reducing service. Whether the quality is reduced remains to be seen. I haven't seen indications on the board that it is up.

I wont cancel but I likely wont book next years cruises on NCL. Ill be exploring other lines next year. Not because of the changes just the customer service in general. Im growing more and more disenchanted with NCL. The price dropped significantly on my upcoming cruise and they refused to honor it. That sealed the deal for me.

If its past the final payment date they don't have to honor it, though they usually offer a no cost/ low cost upgrade. I think Carnival is the only line that will match price drops after final payment.

I am not about to claim none for these changes has upset me, but I don't think any would cause me to cancel. They are not deal breakers and don't rally affect the overall cost that much. Everyone has to decide for themselves, but be honest and realize every line has a way of making money on us. They are in business to make money. I do think, NCL needs to find a better way to implement changes, so much, so close together is bound to p@SS people off. I don't know who is in charge of their marketing and PR dept. but someone needs to start annalizing the damage that might be occurring.

As long as the service continues to be good, the entertainmnet good, we have a positive experience and we can cruise for less than other vacations we will stay with NCL>

So far, this is my thinking too. We won't be canceling next April's cruise.

But if NCL starts messing with the Latitudes perks that will be a dealbreaker for us.

While I am not happy with the constant "changes" I certainly do not plan to cancel any of the 4 cruises we have booked. Most of the changes do not affect us since we are in the Haven for one and in suites for the 2. :) Sky cruise isn't long enough to care if we're in a suite or not! Note: We will still tip the Butler & Concierge as always whether they are getting a small piece of the DSC pie or not. But that's just us.

Edited by peg013

I don't love all the changes, but then I didn't love it when airlines took away meals, legroom, free baggage, and other comforts and starting charging for them. Just because I didn't love it didn't mean I stopped flying and I certainly won't cancel my cruise with NCL or stop cruising NCL in the future.

I have always cruised with NCL because I believe it provides the best value (not cheapest, but best value) in cruising FOR ME. Even with the changes, I don't think that has changed yet. When it does change, I'm sure I'll look at other lines.

Until then, I figure that NCL is a business and it is supposed to find a way to maximize it's bottom line, just like every other business. I expect the staff onboard the ship to treat me as a valued guest, I don't expect the CEO and CFO to do the same thing. I know how the real world works and know that to the higher ups I'm nothing but a dollar sign. That's okay, I don't take it personally. Because I don't expect them to take it personally if I someday choose to take my business elsewhere. Market economy at its best.

Changed DSC x2 , added room service fee, added 18% (although I don't know if it will affect us as we have the older UDP) reports of kids being turned away at kids club, a la carte change, let's see, anything else?

This is only the beginning, FDR is just getting started. Next.... :mad:

I sent a letter to Andy and other NCL executives, stating my case and giving them a chance to respond why I shouldn't cancel in light of all recent changes. In the unlikely event they come back to me with a genuine response (not a canned/PR one), I'll consider it. For now given we're drive-to and we don't have to fly, our inclination is to cancel sometime before PIF date. We're super bummed, specially our kids that were super psyched about our upcoming cruise, but I'm one of those who believe corporations don't change based on threats, but on actual dollars leaving their coffers.

This is only the beginning, FDR is just getting started. Next.... :mad:

You seem surprised at the past changes, yet certain of the future ones.

Do you happen to know tomorrow's lottery numbers?

Thanks,

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

I have to laugh to think that someone thinks they deserve a personal explanation or apology because NCL has changed fees or their pet programs.

Get over yourself!

Business is business and as long as the majority of passengers are happy with the product they will make changes as they see fit.

Not to diminish Cruise Critic, but I would presume that the majority of passengers may never visit this site, let alone vent their anger here.

Ships for about every line continue to sail at or near capacity. Lines continue to build new ships. And stock prices continue to rise.

Yeah, they are in the business to give passengers a memorable experience,

but in the end, they are in the business to make stockholders money.

Nope! Not canceling any cruises! Looking at the big picture, these changes are insignificant!

I'm not cancelling either. But it will be considered when looking at future cruises. The stragegy behing "nickle and diming" is to hope that you look at each one individually and don't notice when the sum becomes significant.

The current CEO will continue these until people start voting with their business. There are plenty of other options.

I'm with the majority - not cancelling and will definitely be booking again.

This reminds me of something that happened on Celebrity when they made some changes. There were so many that were cancelling and leaving, but the thing is all of those (even the most upset ones) are still cruising with Celebrity and posting on Celebrity's threads. I think when people are upset, the first thing that comes to mind is to cancel something or not doing business with a company and then when the dust settles, the majority find out that maybe it wasn't so bad after all and that the grass is not always greener in the other pasture (or in this case cruise lines).