Have you/ are you going to cancel your NCL bookings

MrJoeBlack

No, we won't cancel. We're looking forward to our first repo cruise - BUT all this shuffling has given us a nudge to be more open to other cruise lines. We're not Norwegian-only anymore.

They're going to have to make an effort to keep us as a customer.

Probably will cancel this weekend. Since I booked they have changed too much for my comfort and the cruise is still 200 days away. What next?

Should have bolted when the no take out food silliness went down, but since they about faced on that we stuck it out.

Changed DSC x2 , added room service fee, added 18% (although I don't know if it will affect us as we have the older UDP) reports of kids being turned away at kids club, a la carte change, let's see, anything else?

If I was in the Haven I might not have cancelled though. But I agree it looks like a train wreck.

But have they not added some good things as well? Choices of 1 of 4 - UBP, UDP, free shorex, free wifi.

Do any of these count as changes for the good or do you just want to see the negatives?

If FDR can do with NCL what he did with Oceania, you will look at this a few years from now and won't believe what you've said.

Time will tell.

Edited by Paulchili

Dude,

The last line got me. I was drinking a water while reading your post. It went up and out my nose...

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! OMG, that made me laugh! Now to the question.....

HELL NO WE'RE NOT CANCELLING!!! We could care less about the

changes. Big deal and so what! Who cares about all this petty little stuff.....not us. I'd have to be on my death bed to cancel a cruise and

that may not even be a good reason.

Wow.

Let's break it down:

DSC changed two times, but how much higher is it per person per day? We used to pay 12 per person per day. Now, we are in a suite on a longer than seven day cruise, and still, the difference the increase in DSC comes up to about a 1% increase to the cost of our vacation.

There is a room service fee added (I am not sure that is even fleet wide). Even if it was on my ship...given that morning coffee and continental breakfast does not have a service fee...how many meals does everyone eat in their room? I know when I go ashore my mom gets her lunch in the suite, but that is maybe twice a cruise. Even if it was one a day on a week long cruise, you are talking $35.00.

And my math is fuzzy on the added 18%...I thought that the addition was 3% as there always was a 15% gratuity. But again, how much does this amount to for a whole cruise?

As to reports of kids being turned away at kids club...we sailed over spring break, got the warning email and read it a completely differently than some of the alarmists on here. There is a finite amount of space in kids club...and a ship full of kids. I am SOOOOO glad they keep a safe ratio of kids to caretakers instead of overfilling the rooms.

And, the change from cover to a la carte ... there always was a cover charge. If you get all three courses at the most expensive venue and get the most expensive option...your charge is going to be more than the old cover charge...but how much more?

There have been increases in value during this period of time: room service menus have been expanded, for fee restaurants are now free, the 24 hour restaurant has a bigger menu. Some of the options on the a la carte list are better quality (Maine Lobster) than they offered before with the flat cover fee (lobster tail).

Seriously people, are we doing the same math? Are people canceling their reservations over a couple of jackson's difference in a total cruise bill? You know what? Go to the lattitudes gathering and try to get a few extra free rum punches, that will make up for the difference in fees. Eat at Bamboo five nights on the cruise and come out ahead.

My time is money too, and your righteous indignation does not pay me enough to get my undies in a twist of over a few changes in policy.

Ok, so I've been browsing this thread after seeing a post on FB about it, and I have a question. First, info:

1) I've only gone on 1 cruise prior to now, last month to Alaska on Carnival.

2) I have a total of 3 more booked coming up. 1 on Carnival, 2 on NCL (1 Carnival to Western Caribbean, 1 NCL in Eastern, and 1 Trans Atlantic on NCL).

3) The email I received from NCL detailed the DSC changes, which from what I can tell, really were not much of an increase. Yes, particularly on my Trans Atlantic it will be more expensive (16 days, 2 people) since I'm in the Haven, but I also got such a killer deal on it (Normally Haven goes for 6k-10k per person on this trip, I got it for 3k each) that I couldn't care less.

OP asked about "all the changes". Are there other changes I don't know about? Right now, adding 55 cents per person per day to my Haven bill (Totalling $17 for the trip) is absolutely, in no way, a deal breaker. The service I received on my 1st ever cruise last month was AMAZING, and I'm more than happy to pay $31/day for the level of service I expect to receive in Haven. So, am I missing something?

But have they not added some good things as well? Choices of 1 of 4 - UBP, UDP, free shorex, free wifi.

Do any of these count as changes for the good or do you just want to see the negatives?

If FDR can do with NCL what he did with Oceania, you will look at this a few years from now and won't believe what you've said.

Time will tell.

Marketing 101 - nothing is "free" - to the consumer it sounds good, sounds free, but they make up that money elsewhere times 10. If they were loosing money they would not offer it in the first place.

Marketing 101 - nothing is "free" - to the consumer it sounds good, sounds free, but they make up that money elsewhere times 10. If they were loosing money they would not offer it in the first place.

Agreed - however, judging by the number of people taking advantage of these offers, there must be a positive value in it for the customer as well - or are they all naive & blind?

Of course they are making money - they are a business and not a charity (or Government :D). If NCL was in the business losing money, they would be out of business before too long.

Edited by Paulchili

Family of 4 booked on Getaway for Feb. 2016. Part of a larger group of 20+. Taking advantage of a great promo... $2500 US with an amazing $1.10 CDN exchange rate. UBP included. Soda for kids... ( Booked in April). That's a great value... Complain all you want about the small stuff... We're excited for our first NCL Cruise.

Edited by Davey-D-99

Agreed - however, judging by the number of people taking advantage of these offers, there must be a positive value in it for the customer as well - or are they all naive & blind?

Of course they are making money - they are a business and not a charity (or Government :D). If NCL was in the business losing money, they would be out of business before too long.

I also agree with what you have said.

My opinion - The only offer that offers positive value is the UBP. Especially for the younger crowd in their 20s or us Canadians that are used to stronger beers lol.

For instance our two adult kids in their early 20s and their better halves were recently on a 5 night cruise and their bar tab came close to $2000. They are now booked on a 10 night NCL and paid roughly $2800 CAD for two cabins and 4 UBP packages (UBP free promo)

I expect their cruise will be pretty much free by night 6 :D

Edited by jb456

On the other hand I think many are taking advantage of NCL current offers as NCL is blowing the other cruise lines out of the water at the moment. If you look at a 7 night on Carnival for September many are pretty much identical prices to a 7 night on NCL that include UBP packages with 3rd and 4th guest free. No one is that foolish not to take up NCL on their offer.

Actually a bit surprising. I would think NCL would charge a bit more but I have checked a few cruise lines that their 7 night packages without free UBP pricing out more then NCLs packages.

While I don't really like all of the changes - the only ones that would really affect me are the changes in the al la carte dining and the 18% gratuity on top of that as I do enjoy eating in the specialty restaurants once or twice on a 7 day cruise.

Now my next cruise was booked in Dec with the first wave sale so I have the UDP, UBP, and OBC (we booked a suite). I also prepaid my DSC so the two increases won't affect me this time around. However I have no problems paying a bit more (as long as the service stays the same). BTW I would probably not purchase either the UDP or UBP - so NCL "giving" them to me for free will probably not hurt them all that much. We rarely spend more than $3-400 above the cruise fare - last time to AK we had trouble spending all of our OBC.

Our past cruises on NCL have been wonderful, with crew members eager to please you, and their floating hotel has taken me to wonderful places. So unless that changes I am willing to pledge my allegiance to NCL.

No cancelation planned. In fact, thinking of booking another this year. As well, I recommended NCL to one of my kids last night.

None of the changes is significant to me. I still get the value I'm looking for from my money.

I'm amazed that nobody has realized that these changes were designed to gently be rid of the very people who are complaining and cancelling.

I agree and I've been saying that. I think they want to weed out the vets, bring in the new crop of fresh young cruisers

Time will tell.

As my uncle Martin once told me......"Son if it's free, you run from it". Nothing is free. Words that have served me well over my life..... NCL included.

I'm not thrilled with the direction of NCL. On my last cruise it was difficult to get a seat in a specialty restaurant. I'm an old school freestyle cruiser who liked the flexibility of how the system used to be. I don't want to make reservations 45 days before sailing...... That isn't freestyle to me.

I do understand that NCL wants to maximize their revenue so I get what they are doing. The actual $ increases are not a killer, but how they are doing it is obnoxious. But unlike so many here I'm a value vacationer. We have always tended to book last minute (a few weeks before the scheduled voyage) and at very good rates. So I guess I won't cancel, as I have nothing booked, nor do we ever buy those certificates that locked us into a future vacation.

Will I book again? Maybe, if the price is right and they aren't obnoxious to the point I dislike them. So maybe Bruce Muzz is correct. They hate folks like me.

Hi ho........

As my uncle Martin once told me......"Son if it's free, you run from it". Nothing is free. Words that have served me well over my life..... NCL included.

LOL. Truer words never spoken. That's up there with my Dad's advice to run and hide quickly from anyone who says they are from the government and want to "help" you :)

First time on NCL...many cruises on Princess. For our last cruise I thought the food was (being polite) not so great. We have the dining package so I expect to have dinner in a specialty each of our twelve nights onboard. We already have two airline tickets to Barcelona so cancelling at this point makes no sense for us. I love the ports we are going to so I can only hope that NCL lives up to my expectations. If not it will be one and done for me.

Are you doing the Grand Mediterranean on Spirit? If so, that remains my favorite cruise ever, and I trust you will have a lovely time. I've only done one Princess cruise thus far, but I felt like NCL compared favorably. Happy sailing!

OP asked about "all the changes". Are there other changes I don't know about? Right now, adding 55 cents per person per day to my Haven bill (Totalling $17 for the trip) is absolutely, in no way, a deal breaker. The service I received on my 1st ever cruise last month was AMAZING, and I'm more than happy to pay $31/day for the level of service I expect to receive in Haven. So, am I missing something?

Not really. Some of the changes are not tangible changes, and you'll often see "It's not the money, it's the way they did this!" or "I won't cruise with a line that violates the spirit of the cruise contract" (meaning, they feel the company should honor the old price of the ancillary fees because they booked before the change occurred).

People feel the way they feel, I guess. I enjoy cruising so even when I feel like a change is unwelcome, I try to step back and look at it without the emotion. Here's my list of changes that some people care about (not in any particular order):

1. Merger with Oceania / Regent to form new company NCLH

2. Kevin Sheehan, former CEO, leaves and the CEO from Oceania / Regent, Frank Del Rio, takes his place.

2.A Investor conference call reported where Frank Del Rio says he wants to increase shareholder value and that their testing of drink price increases did not show any resistance to adding .30 to Pepsi price as someone who is (paraphrasing) "sitting by the pool on a ship in the middle of the ocean is a captive audience and doesn't care about the extra .30".

3. DSC increased from $12 pp/pd for everyone to $12.95 for mini-suites and below and a higher rate for suite customers ($14.95, I think). Just recently increased again to $13.50 and ~$15.

4. Drink gratuity increased from 15% to 18%

5. Incredible cruise deals with lower prices and free promos like UDP, UBP and generous OBC. Many of us booked two or three cruises.

6. 18% gratuity added to cover charge of specialty restaurants (I realized I tipped too much before, because I never based the tip on the cover charge; this change will save me money).

7. Room service fee of $7.95 per order if you order no charge, complementary items (except for continental breakfast items between 6 AM and ~10:00 AM).

8. Expanded room service menu with more choices, some of which carry a fee.

9. Policy that you cannot take food back to your cabin. This proved to be unpopular and was rescinded.

10. Move to a la carte pricing at restaurants NCL believes people think are equal to a la carte restaurants on land (Cagney's and Le Bistro). The people from metro areas who have eaten at a good a la carte restaurant are not fooled by this move, as they believe Cagney's was already overpriced, offering Outback Steakhouse quality food at a premium.

We usually would eat in one or two specialty restaurants per cruise. The sides are always, always, always inferior at Cagney's so the a la carte pricing might be cheaper for me. We'll have to see. I would fee better paying $20 for a filet if it was improved and was at least USDA Choice (it is ungraded, but "Angus" branded beef, and is lower than Choice grade to my palette).

Edited by fshagan

In light of the overwhelming changes in such a short span is it enough to get you to cancel your current bookings?

Personally for my family and I the answer is YES, 2 Suites Cancelled and I'm not looking back at this train wreck until they realize constantly changing the product makes people feel uneasy and abused.

My only (and first) NCL cruise is booked on the Epic for next March, Canary Islands & Morocco. I have no idea whether or not I'll be booking any future NCL cruises, time and experience onboard well tell. I've committed to airfare already, so canceling due to displeasure with all the recent hikes/changes is not an option.

If NCL disappoints, there's plenty of other lines waiting to take my money.

Tony

Not really. Some of the changes are not tangible changes, and you'll often see "It's not the money, it's the way they did this!" or "I won't cruise with a line that violates the spirit of the cruise contract" (meaning, they feel the company should honor the old price of the ancillary fees because they booked before the change occurred).

People feel the way they feel, I guess. I enjoy cruising so even when I feel like a change is unwelcome, I try to step back and look at it without the emotion. Here's my list of changes that some people care about (not in any particular order):

1. Merger with Oceania / Regent to form new company NCLH

2. Kevin Sheehan, former CEO, leaves and the CEO from Oceania / Regent, Frank Del Rio, takes his place.

2.A Investor conference call reported where Frank Del Rio says he wants to increase shareholder value and that their testing of drink price increases did not show any resistance to adding .30 to Pepsi price as someone who is (paraphrasing) "sitting by the pool on a ship in the middle of the ocean is a captive audience and doesn't care about the extra .30".

3. DSC increased from $12 pp/pd for everyone to $12.95 for mini-suites and below and a higher rate for suite customers ($14.95, I think). Just recently increased again to $13.50 and ~$15.

4. Drink gratuity increased from 15% to 18%

5. Incredible cruise deals with lower prices and free promos like UDP, UBP and generous OBC. Many of us booked two or three cruises.

6. 18% gratuity added to cover charge of specialty restaurants (I realized I tipped too much before, because I never based the tip on the cover charge; this change will save me money).

7. Room service fee of $7.95 per order if you order no charge, complementary items (except for continental breakfast items between 6 AM and ~10:00 AM).

8. Expanded room service menu with more choices, some of which carry a fee.

9. Policy that you cannot take food back to your cabin. This proved to be unpopular and was rescinded.

10. Move to a la carte pricing at restaurants NCL believes people think are equal to a la carte restaurants on land (Cagney's and Le Bistro). The people from metro areas who have eaten at a good a la carte restaurant are not fooled by this move, as they believe Cagney's was already overpriced, offering Outback Steakhouse quality food at a premium.

We usually would eat in one or two specialty restaurants per cruise. The sides are always, always, always inferior at Cagney's so the a la carte pricing might be cheaper for me. We'll have to see. I would fee better paying $20 for a filet if it was improved and was at least USDA Choice (it is ungraded, but "Angus" branded beef, and is lower than Choice grade to my palette).

We on cc should make you the NCL historian.

Some of these changes have no impact on my view of NCL, others tick me off, but none cause me to go screaming into the night.

I will say this about the captive audience issue.

About twenty-five years ago the movie theaters in the USA decided to seriously jack up popcorn, soda and candy prices at the movie theater.

It came down to a tub of popcorn with soda costing more than the cost of the ticket to see the show. From that day on, I stopped completely buying anything at a movie theater except for the movie ticket.

If I want to snack, I bring in a package of peanuts or something like that.

There is a point were my gut will tell me, enough is enough.

Right now, as moderate drinkers, DW and I will spend no more than about $400 on liquor of any kind (beer, wine and spirits) for a two week cruise.

I don't know where my gut will revolt, but it has not done so yet.

I may turn into one of those cheaters that sneak booze on board, or I may just seriously cut back on drinking, or not go on cruises.

I personally would like to experience the changes rather than rely on other peoples opinions before I make any rash decisions.

We are going on the Pearl in October, and our experience on that cruise will determine whether we cancel any or all of our future bookings.

We have cruised on NCL, RCL, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. Platinum on NCL, we have our Diamond cruise booked on RCL, Platinum on Princess, Select on Celebrity, and who cares about Carnival. We know what we like, and we will continue to cruise any cruise line until they make enough changes to turn us off.