How do you deal with Chair "Savers"?

JonnyCT81

Hi All!

I have been reading on several threads about people saving chairs, specifically on the Summit. We are heading on there in August (third time down to Bermuda on her...love it!) and I was getting concerned about Celebrity's apparent lack of enforcement on their part. That being said I was curious to get the community's feelings on what they do.

Do you:

-Tell a Pool Butler that it's been longer than 30 minutes and ask to remove stuff?

-Remove the infamous "towel" (if there are no belongings) yourself?

-Or just yell, scream and have a meltdown on deck? :)

Any commentary would be appreciated!

We have done this cruise several times and it is indeed an issue. I was up at 6:45 and already chairs were saved. I took some chairs that were ok but not my preference. Kept my eye on preferred seats for about an hour and no one showed. I asked the pool butler and what they do is put a card in their seat and time it for 30 minutes. After about 45 more minutes and they remains empty I then asked the pool butler for the seats . He promptly removed their items and put them on the nearby wall. About 3 hours later (lunch time) they finally showed up and got into a tizzy because their things were gone. The husband quickly located their items and slithered off but the wife as all indignant and mumbling nastiness to everyone around.

It helps to proactively engage the butlers because they don't really keep track on their own but I always found they would take action.

Hi All!

I have been reading on several threads about people saving chairs, specifically on the Summit. We are heading on there in August (third time down to Bermuda on her...love it!) and I was getting concerned about Celebrity's apparent lack of enforcement on their part. That being said I was curious to get the community's feelings on what they do.

Do you:

-Tell a Pool Butler that it's been longer than 30 minutes and ask to remove stuff?

I vote for scream and meltdown on deck...:eek: But seriously I would tell the pool butler that it's been longer than 30 minutes. However by that time I would have just found another seat and probably be two drinks in and would not really care by that point.

Edited by Iamcruzin

It is one of the things I hate about cruising and haven't in a while. I was hoping it would be better patrolled on X than RC and Norwegian. In the past I have told the pool butler and I did get a kick when the hogs showed up 2 hrs later and started complaining. It is really annoying an not something I want to have to deal with on vacation, the Pool butlers should be more proactive; when they see someone putting towels and stuff on a chair at 6:45 am they should time stamp it immediately and tell the people that if they leave it and the pool chairs fill up it their stuff will be removed.

It is also one of the reasons I booked a RS so I can take a dip and have chairs when I want them!

I did not have an issue with this on Reflection. must just not have been a large percentage of chair hogs on that Sailing (Nov 2015).

The only time we ever had issues with getting chairs by the pool, was on Port Days in late afternoon was everyone was returning from a day ashore. Other than that, any time of day it was easy to get a good seat.

Another great people watching activity on ships, the rudeness of people saving 5 to 10 chairs and then saving chairs in different places so they can have sun and shade chairs. I solve it simply, always been an early riser, go up get two chairs for wife and I where I want and one of us is at those chairs all day until we leave. The only time we leave the chairs alone is if we go in the pool together and then we watch ours carefully.

Edited by dkjretired

I tip the pool butlers generously at the start of the cruise so I always get what I want, they'll even tip people out of their chairs for me :)

Tip the security in the Solarium to keep on the watch for children and teens using the pool. Amazing!

If I can't find a chair and there is a sea of unoccupied but reserved ones, I just move whatever is on the chair I want to the chair next to it and use the one I want. 'Stuff' didn't pay to be there, I did. No one has ever come by while I was there and if they did, well, their stuff is right there for them. No one stole it.

I just generally turn stuff into lost & found. :)

Love this idea. make the "savers" work a little to get their stuff back. Might even consider tucking an anonymous note in with their junk, suggesting they observe proper pool etiquette.

Hi All!

Do you:

My DH removes anything on the chair, hands it over to the staff, tells the staff that there has been no-one there for over thirty minutes and then uses the chair. Once when he was there for an hour, someone came, claiming that he was in their chair..he politely pointed to the Stewart and said he has your stuff. They walked away and not in the direction of the Stewart. My friend carries a bottle of water and two towels, wets the chair when going into the pool and finds the chair always vacant when she gets back. If you know for sure the chair is being hogged, tell the Stewart, and the things will be removed:eek:

I personally stay on my own deck, don't like the noise by the pool.

If I can't find a chair and there is a sea of unoccupied but reserved ones, I just move whatever is on the chair I want to the chair next to it and use the one I want. 'Stuff' didn't pay to be there, I did. No one has ever come by while I was there and if they did, well, their stuff is right there for them. No one stole it.

Why not just use the chair next to it where you moved their stuff to?

My DH removes anything on the chair, hands it over to the staff, tells the staff that there has been no-one there for over thirty minutes and then uses the chair. Once when he was there for an hour, someone came, claiming that he was in their chair..he politely pointed to the Stewart and said he has your stuff. They walked away and not in the direction of the Stewart. My friend carries a bottle of water and two towels, wets the chair when going into the pool and finds the chair always vacant when she gets back. If you know for sure the chair is being hogged, tell the Stewart, and the things will be removed:eek:

I personally stay on my own deck, don't like the noise by the pool.

That was your husband! Took me forever, first I went to Stewart, he didnt know where my belongings were. After going to lost and found and several other places I found out your husband had given my stuff to Malcolm! Why did your husband lie and send me on a wild goose chase?

I am one of those 'I am on my holiday and do not want a confrontation sort of people......' I will settle for a chair looking at those saved loungers shaking my head but unwilling, and not feeling the problem is big enough, to complain about.

We have found chair hogging to be quite cruise specific.

On Summit, South Caribbean, it was serious. If you hadn't saved your chairs early you were lost.

On the Solstice, Hawaii to Sydney, once people saw you looking they would try to help to find loungers together by 'moving down' . I have never been in a pool area, land or sea, where everyone genuinely tried to look after fellow holiday makers. Perhaps being a longer cruise people didn't feel the urgency of securing 'the best lounger'. It was just never a problem even on the hot sea days. On the iffy weather couple of days we had you could have as many loungers as you wanted!

On our recent Equinox cruise, Caribbean, it was a mixture. There were people who you could see moved and cleared their area and others who were obviously going somewhere else for a while but laid claim with books and other items!

I have often wondered what other characteristics belong to the chair hoggers. I tend to think they would eat a steak in Tuscan and then complain it was tough, complain their restricted view veranda cabin had a restricted view and then if the upgrade fairy waved her wand and put them in a sky suite they would complain they didn't have the perks of the penthouse! Thankfully I feel that one of the strengths of Celebrity cruises is that the majority of passengers are just really nice, caring cruisers!

Hi All!

Do you:

On the Eclipse, we normally don't have an issue. I love the "clamshell" loungers. If they are being reserved, I usually check with those pax in the Jacuzzi(they're right next to these loungers. If no none says they are using it, I wait about an hour & just move the towels, books etc.I've never had an issue once.

That was your husband! Took me forever, first I went to Stewart, he didnt know where my belongings were. After going to lost and found and several other places I found out your husband had given my stuff to Malcolm! Why did your husband lie and send me on a wild goose chase?

Nice to see the humor here. Waiting next for a pic of Patrick Stewart. I think no chair hogger would stand a chance,especially if Mr.Worf were sent after the hogger..