How do you deal with Chair "Savers"?

JonnyCT81

Once on Solstice we saw a verbal confrontation almost turn into a fist fight. :eek: Two separate large families - were both saving rows of seats - when the argument occurred. It was better entertainment than the show that followed. This was our first and last cruise over a holiday (New Year's) as the ship was full of over entitled, large families with children and adults so rude. I'm sure the chair hogs were out in force but we don't require pool side loungers so we didn't pay any notice. One and done on that one.

In all my years of cruising, and in going to all-inclusive resorts, I've only had one person confront me. They left one flip-flop on each chair, 4 in total. My wife and I saw this happen as we were eating a late breakfast. The person left and we didn't see her for almost 2 hours.

Fast forward a bit, a couple we had met while on board was looking for chairs, so I helped them out by pointing to 4 "flip-flop occupied" chairs and told what happened. So we joined, I turned the shoes into lost & found, and we lounged for another 90 minutes. THEN this woman came back, not for the chair, for her flip-flops.... She had no intention in using these chairs.

She pretty much got into my face about me "stealing" her shoes. I told her I turned them into lost & found and went back to my book. She kept yelling and throwing a tantrum. I finally stood up and calmly told her to stop embarrassing herself because she was.... well, extremely rude. (I won't say exactly what I said, it may not be allowable language for here! :D) She walked away in a huff.

I heard a smattering of applause as I sat down again. :) I also got a free beer from a guy sitting a few chairs away!

I do not deal well with rudeness. ;)

We're about ready to set sail on Summit (my first cruise EVER) this coming Sunday, and all I can say about this discussion is, ugh! I'm going on this cruise because I want...no, NEED...to relax and de-stress. These tales of the chair hogs' entitled, boorish, rude behavior are making me nervous.

If we want to just relax and be outside, but maybe not necessarily by the pool, is there a place on deck where we can go and just chill out, read, and get some sun? We're in an interior cabin and don't have the privilege of a balcony, or else we'd just stay there. Thanks for any and all hints.

We're about ready to set sail on Summit (my first cruise EVER) this coming Sunday, and all I can say about this discussion is, ugh! I'm going on this cruise because I want...no, NEED...to relax and de-stress. These tales of the chair hogs' entitled, boorish, rude behavior are making me nervous.

If we want to just relax and be outside, but maybe not necessarily by the pool, is there a place on deck where we can go and just chill out, read, and get some sun? We're in an interior cabin and don't have the privilege of a balcony, or else we'd just stay there. Thanks for any and all hints.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the great thread - I am glad to know that I am not the only one who feels this way. In regards to this specific post, it seems that the best luck I have had is the small area behind the mast bar on the deck above the pool - Me and the sun don't really get along and it is shady (you can pull chair out of shade if you want) and tends to be quieter than the pool deck; the last time we were there my partner and I actually dozed off for a few hours while reading. I hope you enjoy your cruise, don't stress, have a cocktail and enjoy your book, you're going to have a great time!

Last winter' date=' on the Eclipse, there were a few women who stood and chatted across one end of the indoor pool for a very long time.

When [i']tried to swim laps, they wouldn't budge and acted as if I invaded their pool.

What can one do in such a situation?

[/i]

Splash?

Andrée,

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find lots of acceptable places that don't have hogs unless you want front & center at the pool. Try deck 11-sunrise deck overlooking the pool.

Just make sure you enjoy your first cruise and go with the flow.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Don't worry about it. Unless you're a person who absolutely NEEDS to be in the sun, there really are plenty of chairs on the deck.

"Featuring a gorgeous pool, sparkling waterfalls, thickly padded lounge chairs, and an adults-only policy, tranquility is always just a few steps away."

The Solarium pool isn't designed for swimming laps and is intended be a sanctuary from the more boisterous activities in and around the main pool. It also has a lift for physically challenged passengers who would like to have the opportunity to swim in a quiet location. If you want to swim laps, I suggest that you try another pool.

Sanctuary? :confused: It is supposed to be adults only, and a "spa area", there are even signs posted to be quiet, as the solarium is a "spa area" and "treatments are in progress"...yet I don't think we have experienced one cruise where the solarium and Thallossotherapy area didn't attract boisterous and loud cruisers.

Nothing like trying to relax and nap when you hear a group of LOUD cruisers slamming their dice and cups down on the table. Or how about the group of cruisers on our Hawaii cruise who were in the solarium, drunk, and two guys get up on the table and announce they're "Hanging 10 into Hawaii"?

Regarding "Chair Hogs"...I have to say on our two Princess cruises, we didn't really experience them like we have on our X cruises. On our last cruise, we witnessed a group of 5 or 6 adults who reserved their loungers in the solarium BEFORE they left for an excursion! We heard them preparing to leave. We had been to this port before, so wanted to enjoy the quiet of the ship and spa area...I ended up leaving a note on one of their chairs, telling them how selfish they were for reserving their chairs with books, clothes, magazines, etc. while they left on a tour, and they were lucky that nobody removed it. Being a little ornery, I told them that we would be watching them for the rest of the cruise and if they left their personal things there again, would take them.

When the group returned, 4-5 hours later, well after lunch, we watched them read the note. It created quite a scene as they scoured the solarium, looking for anyone whom they felt might have wrote such a note, LOL!

Other times, if there are no loungers, we'll use the Thallossotherapy pool or hang out in the aqua spa cafe and wait the 30+minutes. If nobody claims the chairs, will report it to the pool butler. :)

Guess we are lucky in that we seek shade away from pool area. Not sure of the absolute advantage or even desire to have a lounger right by pool area where there is a lot of people traffic.

Having said the above, not sure there is an absolute remedy. I have seen a fight break out, on Princess in the theater, over the reserving of seats. It was more than just 2 additional seats. It was like 6-8 extra seats and there were not other empty seats around.

Got ugly fast. Both got to miss show.

I can see someone coming back and getting physical with person. My preference is for Ship's people to be the 'remover' of things if it came to that for me at least. Then my statement is Pool police took stuff. You got to talk to them.

Edited by shipshape sam

Sanctuary? :confused: It is supposed to be adults only, and a "spa area", there are even signs posted to be quiet, as the solarium is a "spa area" and "treatments are in progress"...yet I don't think we have experienced one cruise where the solarium and Thallossotherapy area didn't attract boisterous and loud cruisers.

Nothing like trying to relax and nap when you hear a group of LOUD cruisers slamming their dice and cups down on the table. Or how about the group of cruisers on our Hawaii cruise who were in the solarium, drunk, and two guys get up on the table and announce they're "Hanging 10 into Hawaii"?

Regarding "Chair Hogs"...I have to say on our two Princess cruises, we didn't really experience them like we have on our X cruises. On our last cruise, we witnessed a group of 5 or 6 adults who reserved their loungers in the solarium BEFORE they left for an excursion! We heard them preparing to leave. We had been to this port before, so wanted to enjoy the quiet of the ship and spa area...I ended up leaving a note on one of their chairs, telling them how selfish they were for reserving their chairs with books, clothes, magazines, etc. while they left on a tour, and they were lucky that nobody removed it. Being a little ornery, I told them that we would be watching them for the rest of the cruise and if they left their personal things there again, would take them.

When the group returned, 4-5 hours later, well after lunch, we watched them read the note. It created quite a scene as they scoured the solarium, looking for anyone whom they felt might have wrote such a note, LOL!

Other times, if there are no loungers, we'll use the Thallossotherapy pool or hang out in the aqua spa cafe and wait the 30+minutes. If nobody claims the chairs, will report it to the pool butler. :)

There too, the thallossotherapy pool, the hogs were in force. Saw several women, at 7am putting towels on two to four chaises. Put these clip things on top of the towels like itches marking their terrority. When I came by at 9:45 they were still empty of bodies. We did get chairs then at 10:15 one of the group came to sit. The group of four with the chair clips didn't show up until 10:45.

My wife and I are so fed up with this we are buying a 250 foot yacht with a crew of ten. Yawn, what time is it dear?

Hi All!

I have been reading on several threads about people saving chairs, specifically on the Summit. We are heading on there in August (third time down to Bermuda on her...love it!) and I was getting concerned about Celebrity's apparent lack of enforcement on their part. That being said I was curious to get the community's feelings on what they do.

Do you:

-Tell a Pool Butler that it's been longer than 30 minutes and ask to remove stuff?

-Remove the infamous "towel" (if there are no belongings) yourself?

-Or just yell, scream and have a meltdown on deck? :)

Any commentary would be appreciated!

We had a problem on the Connie --the towels lay there for several HOURS. After 2 hours--we moved in...to use 2 of 3 chairs...

we moved the damp towels to a towel station and sat down.

The chair "hogs" returned and were pissed we had "moved their stuff (there was one bag of "stuff" we moved to a third chair.

They were pissed. I reminded them of the chair hog policy.

They stood at the top of the balcony/deck overlooking the pool and where we sat--for about an hr---staring us down. We enjoyed our adult beverage and company of other pax..and ignored them.

IF we have issues on our upcoming cruise---I will try and handle it alone--ans contact a staffer for help.

Chair savers are rude..whether its by the pool or at a show

Edited by Fogfog

Why would you even want to jam up against someone? As I walk around the pool deck I am frankly repulsed by so many half naked morbidly obese people jammed up against one another. I don't need to be near or swim in the pool that bad. There are more than enough lounge chairs on the upper decks that even if there were two available next to the pool I would still go one or two decks up. You can alternate between sun and shade very easily.

The best time to go to the pool deck is on port days, especially ones we have been to many times.

I'd spread the loungers as best I could. If it was too difficult or the pax caused issues I'd call security.

What do you say/do about those people? You show up...early for a show...and they have several seats saved for their DHs, DWs, friends etc? What do you all do about those "saved seats". Me??? I just go find another seat...but it is a bummer!!! LuAnn

If it's too crowded & someone is saving more than 4 seats, we just sit down & let the hogger frown all they want. Sorry, but if their name isn't stitched to the back they DON'T own it! As I said this is for someone saving over 4. 4 seats equals 2 couples, which is all I'll allow. I'll do the same in movie shows. If they gripe, I say get the usher. Works every time.

In all my years of cruising, and in going to all-inclusive resorts, I've only had one person confront me. They left one flip-flop on each chair, 4 in total. My wife and I saw this happen as we were eating a late breakfast. The person left and we didn't see her for almost 2 hours.

Fast forward a bit, a couple we had met while on board was looking for chairs, so I helped them out by pointing to 4 "flip-flop occupied" chairs and told what happened. So we joined, I turned the shoes into lost & found, and we lounged for another 90 minutes. THEN this woman came back, not for the chair, for her flip-flops.... She had no intention in using these chairs.

She pretty much got into my face about me "stealing" her shoes. I told her I turned them into lost & found and went back to my book. She kept yelling and throwing a tantrum. I finally stood up and calmly told her to stop embarrassing herself because she was.... well, extremely rude. (I won't say exactly what I said, it may not be allowable language for here! :D) She walked away in a huff.

I heard a smattering of applause as I sat down again. :) I also got a free beer from a guy sitting a few chairs away!

We had that happen on the Serenity deck of another line. Old ladies showed up for "their chairs" about 4 hours later...4 hours!!

They were lucky we didn't take their stuff to lost and found.

Why would you even want to jam up against someone? As I walk around the pool deck I am frankly repulsed by so many half naked morbidly obese people jammed up against one another. I don't need to be near or swim in the pool that bad. There are more than enough lounge chairs on the upper decks that even if there were two available next to the pool I would still go one or two decks up. You can alternate between sun and shade very easily.

The best time to go to the pool deck is on port days, especially ones we have been to many times.

After reading your post it, brings back memories of National Geographic specials showing Walruses sunning themselves. All we need is to have the pax flipping sand on themselves to recreate that image.

Is their sense of entitlement. To have a chair when they want it, where they want it and to 'reserve' it with a personal item. Their rudeness won't change. No matter what you say or do. It's part of their DNA. I wonder if you can get genetic testing to make sure you don't marry one. :D

Edited by 1cruiselvr

Good for you. We too have no problem with someone saving a seat for your spouse. On our recent Bermuda cruise we went into the Celebrity theatre for a show. Went into a row where a young man said he was saving 8 seats. He was obviously embarrassed to be put in this position. I said you can save a couple of seats but not an entire row and sat down. 15 minutes later the group came in. Mom proceeded to berate the kid for not keeping the row open. Felt sorry for the kid for having the bad luck to have such an itch for a mom.

Hey, you left out the "B".

Good for you!! I don't do well with it either. They say.."turn the other cheek" Sorry, 1 slap is all you get with me! 2014 I nearly got into a fight with a pax(thug is better term)who was starting to get physical with a staff member. The guy didn't get booted off, but instead got a letter after the cruise that said "You are now permanently banned from any ship/cruiseline owned by RCCL Corp." The staffmember(head of the Captains Club)told us that the guy was being watched by security on closecircut tv. He said is not the uniformed security you need to watch out for, it's the unmarked security.

Hey guys..Hows things? On the Eclipse, we've always found the Solarium to be quite calm & peaceful. It does get pretty boisterous out in the main pool area, but not too crazy. We'll probably be doing the Feb.7 2016 trip to the Caribbean. Yeah been to the islands at least 8 times. Boring??? Hey remember last winter? We had about 4ft. of snow while we were gone. Yeah.. I'll take boring on the beach anyyyytime!

There too, the thallossotherapy pool, the hogs were in force. Saw several women, at 7am putting towels on two to four chaises. Put these clip things on top of the towels like itches marking their terrority. When I came by at 9:45 they were still empty of bodies. We did get chairs then at 10:15 one of the group came to sit. The group of four with the chair clips didn't show up until 10:45.

My wife and I are so fed up with this we are buying a 250 foot yacht with a crew of ten. Yawn, what time is it dear?

As the Celabrity ship passes you in the Caribbean, I can see you saying.."You know dear,I wonder what those "other" people are doing?"

After reading your post it, brings back memories of National Geographic specials showing Walruses sunning themselves. All we need is to have the pax flipping sand on themselves to recreate that image.

Keith and Poppa,

So "morbidly obese, walrus-appearing people" are the rude chair hogs, and you all the polite ones? Better check yourselves. I hope that the people I meet on my cruise next week are nicer and more accepting of others. I plan on taking my round Italian ass to the pool, so get ready to throw sand! How very offensive.