How do you deal with Chair "Savers"?

JonnyCT81

We were on the Equinox in April. At the start of each day the loungers were set up with fresh towels and a note card that said something like items left unattended for 30 mins will be removed. The pool attendants actually moved items on days 1 and 2, which virtually solved the chair hog problem for the rest of the trip. This was a sold out Caribbean cruise and we had no trouble finding loungers on any day of our cruise.

It's simple. If I see unattended belongings, I simply return them to lost-and-found. If it happens to free up a chair for me, while helping to reunite people with their misplaced towels or other items, so be it.

I agree that it depends on the cruise AND the people on the cruise.

Things are worth in the med when there are a lot of family with kids (so increased numbers of total passengers). They use 4-5 chairs and there is always somebody around to keep them occupied. Even if the max used at once is 3.

I even came accross the situation that we were not able to find 2 chairs next to each other during the day on deck 14...

Other story:

On our last cruise (Sydney to Hawaii) the chairs had been removed due to weather in the evening/night and in the morning the pool butlers had not put them back into place until later in the morning.

So people came in the morning and put them into position their own - but not 6 of them next to each other in one section, only 4 or 5. When I came to find two, I wanted to add the missing one or two for us as most sections were occupied. So I told the person on one chair that I had to move the chairs a little to get one more in. He wouldnt let me do that. So I went into the next section and the person didn't allow me either. I even told them that it is room for 6 as on all other days on this cruise and other cruises... didn't care, even ignored me.

So I went to a pool butler. He came, told the person to have a chair moved but the person even told the butler to go away - and the butler gave up.

Hard to believe, but true.

It's not going to change because the cruise lines along with just about every hotel in the world don't want to get into confrontations with guests. Honestly we're about at the point of just playing along and getting up early and sticking towels on chairs. I've moved things before and been mildly assaulted by a female passenger and I just don't go on holiday to be subject to abuse, it's just not worth the hassle. So yes I'm going to be honest and state we are probably going to join the chair hogging set for the first time in November.

You never see a chair hog reply on this threads or are they in total denial that they are one!

It's like tip removers / stiffers: They know at some visceral level that the behavior is antisocial and will be scorned by the community. Knowing that, they engage in their behavior quietly and anonymously.

My solution is to be up early and sit in my chair all day! I always get the chairs I want because I get up by 6 no matter where I am. I can't sleep past that. I typically am up by the pool by about 7. When I am ready for breakfast, I go to the buffet and bring my plate back out.

Even if we go in the pool we are never in there for 1/2 hour.

Last winter' date=' on the Eclipse, there were a few women who stood and chatted across one end of the indoor pool for a very long time.

When [i']tried to swim laps, they wouldn't budge and acted as if I invaded their pool.

What can one do in such a situation?

[/i]

About the only thing you can do is ask, they have a right to the pool also, don't think it is designated as a lap pool.

Seriously? Reading through this thread it sounds like a piece about chair hogs written by different types of chair hogs. :o

You noticed that, too.

My problems with pool hogs has to do with spots in the shade. I burn very easily, even with sunblock so I would like a place in the shade after I swim. I haven't found any lounge chairs on other deck that are in the shade and I don't want to go dripping back to my cabin. I want a lounge chair in the shade for just long enough to stop dripping. We used to have a problem with finding a lounge chair. They all seemed to be taken. Then we realized that they weren't taken, people just forget to clear their towels when they leave. Now we look around and if we find loungers with only a towel or pieces of paper, we remove the items and take a seat.

Edited by patty1955

Something I experienced for the first time this spring was chair hoggers saving two sets of chairs- one set in the sun, and one set in the shade! I'm in the group that doesn't want to deal with confrontations while I'm on vacation, so unfortunately unless the cruise lines do something about it nothing is going to change.

Nature of the boards, ever notice how everyone who posts has wonderfully behaved children who are honor students.

Agree that everyone who posted may be a little guilty of being a hog. Do they need to sit out on deck all day? If everyone took a turn and moved on, there would be some turnover with the chairs.

Also, I'm wondering why you bring up the subject of "wonderfully behaved children who are honor students" into the conversation?

Last winter' date=' on the Eclipse, there were a few women who stood and chatted across one end of the indoor pool for a very long time.

When [i']tried to swim laps, they wouldn't budge and acted as if I invaded their pool.

What can one do in such a situation?

[/i]

"Featuring a gorgeous pool, sparkling waterfalls, thickly padded lounge chairs, and an adults-only policy, tranquility is always just a few steps away."

The Solarium pool isn't designed for swimming laps and is intended be a sanctuary from the more boisterous activities in and around the main pool. It also has a lift for physically challenged passengers who would like to have the opportunity to swim in a quiet location. If you want to swim laps, I suggest that you try another pool.

Edited by Fouremco

I agree that it depends on the cruise AND the people on the cruise.

Things are worth in the med when there are a lot of family with kids (so increased numbers of total passengers). They use 4-5 chairs and there is always somebody around to keep them occupied. Even if the max used at once is 3.

I even came accross the situation that we were not able to find 2 chairs next to each other during the day on deck 14...

Other story:

On our last cruise (Sydney to Hawaii) the chairs had been removed due to weather in the evening/night and in the morning the pool butlers had not put them back into place until later in the morning.

So people came in the morning and put them into position their own - but not 6 of them next to each other in one section, only 4 or 5. When I came to find two, I wanted to add the missing one or two for us as most sections were occupied. So I told the person on one chair that I had to move the chairs a little to get one more in. He wouldnt let me do that. So I went into the next section and the person didn't allow me either. I even told them that it is room for 6 as on all other days on this cruise and other cruises... didn't care, even ignored me.

So I went to a pool butler. He came, told the person to have a chair moved but the person even told the butler to go away - and the butler gave up.

Hard to believe, but true.

That is when water balloons would come in handy!:D

Something I experienced for the first time this spring was chair hoggers saving two sets of chairs- one set in the sun, and one set in the shade! I'm in the group that doesn't want to deal with confrontations while I'm on vacation, so unfortunately unless the cruise lines do something about it nothing is going to change.

Having sat out on the pool deck having coffee at 7am on more than one occasion it seems that the biggest culprits are the grandmothers. To a one they are the ones staking out their territory.

Clearly chair hogging is one of the most insidious aspects of cruising that we

all hate. Yet I don't recall a chair hog reporting in on this board to present their side of the story.

Some chair hogging is innocent. On our last cruise there was a middle aged couple on their first cruise. At dinner the second night they complained they couldn't get chairs by the pool. The next evening problem was solved. They went out early in the morning and put towels and books on their desired chairs. Later, after breakfast they went out to the pool and enjoyed the day.

They had no idea they were being hogs. They just realized that was the way things were done on a cruise ship.

We never use the chairs by the pool, we use our balcony. Totally private and quiet. I know this would not work for those who like to swim. I agree that the butlers should enforce the rules.

"Featuring a gorgeous pool, sparkling waterfalls, thickly padded lounge chairs, and an adults-only policy, tranquility is always just a few steps away."

The Solarium pool isn't designed for swimming laps and is intended be a sanctuary from the more boisterous activities in and around the main pool. It also has a lift for physically challenged passengers who would like to have the opportunity to swim in a quiet location. If you want to swim laps, I suggest that you try another pool.

The Solarium Pool is not designed for lap swimming. If you want to get a workout, then do laps in the hot tubs. :)