Getting on Cruise that is Sold Out

Hi all - we want to go on the Aug 9th RCL out of Galveston but it is sold out (except one suite that is too expensive). It's me and my two sons.

Any tips on how to get a cabin last minute on a sold out cruise? Do cabins sometimes become available as it gets closer??

TIA!

Is it RCI or your TA that is saying it is sold out. sometimes TA will be referring to cabins they have access to and a call to RCI will show there is a cabin available. It happened to me about a year ago.

Agree. Get a good TA, not someone who just sells cruise packages. You want one who will work for YOU. If there's a cabin available, they'll find it.

If you're looking for the "Show up at the terminal and hope there's a no-show" . . . It ain't gonna happen. Sadly, those days are gone forever. DHS requires the manifest in advance of sailing so passengers can be vetted.

Sounds like your choices are to wait and see if something opens up or book the suite, otherwise, it's not happening. Last minute bookings are not what they used to be and honestly, if a cabin does open up, it will more than likely be more expensive than it would have been weeks/months ago due to demand.

That room shows as a handicapped cabin.

Not sure Royal will give it to OP.

They will if closer to the sailing date it remains unbooked by a customer of need. As an available stateroom at that time it can be released to anyone.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

At this close to sail date all rooms that were held by different TA's as part of group bookings would have been turned back to Royal.

Just keep checking the website multiple times daily. Also ask to be put on a wait list although I have not heard that many positive experiences with Royals wait list process.

Hi all - we want to go on the Aug 9th RCL out of Galveston but it is sold out (except one suite that is too expensive). It's me and my two sons.

Any tips on how to get a cabin last minute on a sold out cruise? Do cabins sometimes become available as it gets closer??

TIA!

This close to sailing (after final payment date - 75 days prior to sailing) NO TA will have a room that RC doesn't have. I repeat - NO TA is holding a room or rooms that RC doesn't have available. Easiest thing to do is check the RC website frequently or call them directly - they are open 24/7. You could put down a deposit to get prioritized on a waitlist; however, once you get within 7 days of the sailing, it's of no use. Within 7 days of sailing, RC won't hold a room on a waitlist. First come, first serve at that point, so that is when it's really important to continue checking if you really want to get onboard. Good luck! :-)

That room shows as a handicapped cabin.

Not sure Royal will give it to OP.

royal releases HA cabins for general purchase closer to sail date. might be past final payment, might be a little earlier

the closer to sail date the more likely it is the prices will go up on what is available

after final payment date any canceled cabins get released to general inventory and that would be the best opportunity to see if anything opens up for your party size.

At this close to sail date all rooms that were held by different TA's as part of group bookings would have been turned back to Royal.

Just keep checking the website multiple times daily. Also ask to be put on a wait list although I have not heard that many positive experiences with Royals wait list process.

An excellent point (as usual) Ken. And as referenced as well by CruisingMachine there is a timeline to departure date that all rooms held by a TA must either be released back to RCI or they become the financial obligation of the TA. And very few TA's would be likely to assume that responsibility with unsold rooms beyond that date. This also allows RCI to manage those rooms with (although rare) upgrades to existing reservations or special pricing to move them.

Also an excellent point by 39august regarding 3 person availability. And even if a stateroom is available that can accommodate 3 it may not be released for 3 if the lifeboat capacity would be exceeded at that time with that number. That is also why it is a gamble to find late booking staterooms for more than 2.

Houstonmom1 hope it all works out for you and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks everyone! I was able to call RCI and book that handicapped room on deck 10! It is for two people but they will put in a roll away bed. Yay!

Congratulations! If you want keep checking frequently to see what else might open up in same category for a non handicapped room or a higher category. I believe you always have the option to upgrade at whatever the current date is.

Have a great cruise!!

I believe you always have the option to upgrade at whatever the current date is.

Certain you meant rate :) but you are correct. As long as the new stateroom category has a higher rate than that already paid they will allow an upgrade to it with the difference between the original rate and new rate paid.