Advice for not gaining weight on a cruise

melody hounddog

Hi Everyone

My next cruise is coming up and I don't want to pack on the pounds like I did on my last cruise. I know the usual "take the stairs", and "skip the bread bowl, etc. But I am looking for specific dishes in the main dining room that are diet friendly, yet tasty.

How are the Lotus Spa dishes?

I have a few favorites that I must have, like the Eggplant Parm, Escargot and French Onion Soup. I love to try new things and like just about anything, except the cold fruit soups.

Anything you really like for lunch in the MDR?

And please, if you never gain weight on a cruise, skip to the next thread.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone

My next cruise is coming up and I don't want to pack on the pounds like I did on my last cruise. I know the usual "take the stairs", and "skip the bread bowl, etc. But I am looking for specific dishes in the main dining room that are diet friendly, yet tasty.

I have a few favorites that I must have, like the Eggplant Parm, Escargot and French Onion Soup. I love to try new things and like just about anything, except the cold fruit soups.

Thanks!

I haven't seen the Lotus Spa menu for several years now...likewise I think escargot has vanished . The onion soup is still there.

Sugar free desserts are available.

Several cruises ago I would cut down on my eating for a few months before the cruise. I had a goal of losing 10 pounds before the cruise. I did this for a few cruises and have since given up. Too much work. I have found that I usually gain about 2 pounds on the cruise, but my weight returns to normal by itself.

And BTW, escargot was on the menu as an appetizer for one meal on my last cruise Feb 2015

Edited by TwoCruisers

Princess has done some good things by reducing the size of their portions. To avoid gaining weight you have to burn more calories than you consume. It is that simple.

The lotus spa dishes are both healthy and tasty.

Lunch can be a killer. I try to keep it simple, but that is not always possible.

The Horizon court can also be a killer as it is easy to go overboard on portions (not even counting the bread).

Finally watch the desserts-espically in the buffet. I find myself going after two or three because they look so good.

Alcoholic drinks also add to the calorie count as do the afternoon teas.

We avoid both the alcohol and afternoon tea for that reason.

If you keep it to salads and the lotus spa menus-and you spend time in the Gym or walking the decks, you can maintain. But, it takes work.

Hi Everyone

Thanks!

Pretty much not possible on a 7/10 day cruise. I have found that on long cruises the eating tends to moderate to the more normal.

We found to moderate the weight gain:

Eat your normal breakfast, avoid stocking your plate with omelets, bacon, pancakes, french toast, syrup.

Have a normal lunch.

In the evening in the DR. Select only 2 or 3 courses and skip desserts.

On the left side of the DR menu are the grilled chicken and other always available items. Also, you can request a plate of steamed veggies from the waiter even though it isn't on the menu.

Walk or do other aerobic exercise at least one hour/day. Taking the stairs really doesn't do much to burn calories unless you go up and down for 30mins to an hour straight, like a stairmaster. By the way one hour of walking at a good pace will only burn 300 to 400 calories, one ice cream cone. So you know how difficult it is on a ship to not gain weight. Also, Princess has free hour long Zumba most days and it is pretty intense. Look for it.

Edited by sknight

Use the plate - not the platter - in the buffet. Don't pile on the food - you can always go back for more if you like but if you pile a bunch on the plate your first trip though you will probably end up eating more than you really want. I'm always amazed when I see people with the platter piled high.

I struggle with weight, but my last two cruises I lost weight (my third-to-last, I broke even). I think the #1 thing is to walk, walk, walk. We have a daily goal on our Jawbone to walk 10,000 steps. On port days, we easily hit 20,000 or 25,000. Also on port days we ate a hearty breakfast, hardly any lunch, then whatever we want in the MDR that evening. On at-sea days I would always save room for the good stuff. None of the junk hamburgers and pizzas on the Sun deck.

If your goal is to maintain your weight while on a cruise, then take the appropriate actions to attain that goal. Control your portions when eating (there are no prizes for joining the clean plate club), don't go nuts with alcohol and other sugar loaded drinks. Walk a lot, go to the gym, keep active.

If your priority is food and / or alcohol when on a cruise then come to terms with the fact that you are going to gain weight and enjoy the food and drinks.

It is all a choice.

The 2 keys to me not gaining weight on cruises.....use the stairs and avoid the starchy carbs at lunch and dinner. Works every time. And if the elevator is something you need to use, be a little more strict on your carb intake, or lack thereof.

Edited by Aquahound

I disagree with SKNIGHT above. We took a 26 day cruise recently. My dh gained 0 pounds.:eek: I gained 2.5. We took the stairs. Sometimes we were on deck 5 to see what was on the menu for MDR and then walked all the way up to deck 16 to see what was in the buffet. Then either ate there or walked down to deck 5 for MDR. On sea days we walked for about 30 minutes. When weather was bad we walked the hall where our cabin was. He ate much more than he normally does whereas I tried to limit breakfast to something like I would normally eat (cereal. sometimes a bagel and lox). Lunch I would try to eat small. We were usually in HC but sometimes in Alfredos getting pizza. Dinner was mostly MDR. I usually got a salad and a main meal along with dessert. At first I was always eating a roll but then cut back to either nothing or one of the breadsticks.

We don't drink so no calories with water.

Edited by dickinson

Avoid in between meal snacking.

Avoid the bread basket.

Limit dessert to one a day and make it something lighter (the sorbet is divine).

Tell yourself you can have that tempting treat later, but not now. Keep putting off later.

Drink as much water as you can to flush out the higher sodium you're probably getting but plan ahead for bathroom breaks in ports.

Walk a lot, but unless you do a LOT of stair climbing at home, don't start on a cruise as a way to maintain your weight. For those of us not kids anymore, the risk is that an abrupt change to excessive stair climbing will produce aches and pains that may limit your activity in port, and that's far more critical than stairs. (I've met people attempting to adopt new lifestyle changes on cruises that end up with shin splints and knee issues and cancelled excursions).

We used to gain quite a bit of weight when we first started cruising. Now it is down to a few pounds a cruise that we can take back off once we get home and get back to normal eating/routine.

We do not do anything crazy, but we are on vacation and want to have a good time. We eat what we want but not shovel it in and like everyone else we walk the stairs. Not fun to do in heels.

my DH still goes to the gym and works out. Not me, i would rather sweat it off in the sun:)

Have fun and enjoy the cruise and all the great food!

Eat all meals possible, in the dining room, where you have your portions controlled. (unless you ask for seconds) :D

Drink plenty of water and it will help you feel full.

Enjoy your cruise and indulge in some sweet desserts. You can go back to behaving when you get home. ;) We find whatever weight we seem to gain on the cruise, falls right off when we get home. It is caused by water retention from salted foods.:)

I know you asked for specific dishes but everyone has different tastes. I would watch the carbs and try not to eat between meals. This is vacation so fry to enjoy things but in moderation. Sometimes I think I do better when I allow myself some treats. Maybe if you try to create a great experience that is shaped by what you do instead of what you eat than you will have a fantastic vacation and will not put on the pounds. Good luck and I hope you have a fabulous cruise.

I try to lose a few pounds before I go on the cruise. I like fruit and yogurt, and maybe a poached egg for breakfast. For lunch I make a low calorie salad with lots of lettuce and veggies, light on the dressing, and no cheese or croutons. I might have a slice of pizza with it. For dinner, I stay away from the pasta, bread and butter, and anything fried. I have sorbet for dessert a lot of times. If there's something one the menu I really want, like surf and turf or escargot, I go ahead and order it. You only live once. :D

I find that they are just too salty and rich and I always ask for any sauce on the side - where I can control how much I put on my dish. That really helps with avoiding the extra water retention. Burning off the extra calories - whether it's taking the stairs..the gym or on the promenade deck - that's the next step!

Camelia

While all of these suggestions are lovely, as well as basic common sense, we are all forgetting the fact that IT'S VACATION!!!

DH and I are strong proponents of "moderation in all things", while still enjoying life.

When cruising, we have made the decision to avoid the unhealthy food items that we can eat (should we choose) on a regular and available basis at home, ie; pizza, hamburgers, etc. We also try to stick to the same eating patterns on our cruise, as we do while home. Which means a normal breakfast, perhaps, an omelet, or fruit and yogurt, or even oatmeal. A light lunch, perhaps a shared sandwich, or a chopped salad. Then we can enjoy the dinner of our choice. If we wish to have a dinner roll with our dinner, or 2 desserts, neither of us is going to curtail our enjoyment, out of fear of calories. We also do enjoy the drink of the day, and will usually meet friends for happy hour, along with whatever nibbles are available.

We do tend to take the stairs more than the elevator, however that is simply expedience. We also like to walk the ship frequently and extensively; so as to enjoy the artwork, and explore.

Typically, neither of gains more than a pound or 2, which melt right back off after the cruise. My best advice to the OP, enjoy your cruise, enjoy the wonderful food, walk as much as possible, without placing unreasonable expectations of yourself.

Make it a point to lose 10 pounds before the cruise so when you gain 7 your still ahead 3 pounds. :)

I do everything I can to limit the weight gain on a cruise but at the same time one of the best parts of cruising is the food IMHO.

I always take the stairs (up and down) and hit the gym daily. But I also hit the international cafe for that delicious chocolate mousse and will have 5 courses at dinner (2 appetizers, why not!?).

Usually gain a few pounds but most of its water weight and I'm back to normal within a week.