Vow Renewal Ideas

My husband and I are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary this October on the Freedom and were thinking about renewing our vows. I was disappointed to find out that the only option available is a huge package starting at $1,200. We don't want a huge ceremony. We were just envisioning the two of us (while my in-laws and 2 daughters observe) at the very front or back of the ship during a sunset with one of the ship's staff (maybe even the captain) officiating. I mean, I think we're talking around 15 minutes. Any ideas, other than just doing it ourselves? I was thinking maybe I could find the captain at the beginning of our cruise and offer him $300 to officiate our vows for 15 minutes :-)

We looked into the same thing a couple of years ago when we renewed our vows. In the end we went with a beach vow renewal because royal was a bit overpriced for what we thought we would get. It is really a personal preference. It would be really hard to say if the captain would be available for you. The royal experience from what it was when we looked into it was with the cd.

We used a mom and pop type of beach service on Coco beach and it ended up being really nice and personal.

Just say your vows to each other...you don't need an "officiant" or a planner....just find a spot, and do it!

I love my hubby, and have for the 42 years since we first met....and we had a lovely REAL wedding, although it was no big, pricey extravaganza. Neither of us feel the need for some sort of renewal ceremony....especially if we have to PAY for it! I'd much rather use that money for a trip, or something...we can "renew" our vows on our own, if we feel the need. Our original vows already said "Til death do us part"..and we take that pretty seriously. Not sure we need to renew that!!!

Years ago we wrote a few words to each other, grabbed a bottle of champagne and headed out to the helipad early one morning. No officiant - just us. It is one of our most memorable cruise experiences.

Congrats on the anniversary

M

Just say your vows to each other...you don't need an "officiant" or a planner....just find a spot, and do it!

I love my hubby, and have for the 42 years since we first met....and we had a lovely REAL wedding, although it was no big, pricey extravaganza. Neither of us feel the need for some sort of renewal ceremony....especially if we have to PAY for it! I'd much rather use that money for a trip, or something...we can "renew" our vows on our own, if we feel the need. Our original vows already said "Til death do us part"..and we take that pretty seriously. Not sure we need to renew that!!!

I totally agree with you! We just thought it would be romantic, especially on a cruise ship (since we both love cruising). Our "new" vows would reflect the challenges we've been through in the last several years in becoming parents (we have a 3 year old and a 1 year old), reaffirm our commitment to each other, and most importantly, to always keep Jesus at the center of our marriage. I want to tell my husband how proud I am of the father he has become. I know I can do that anytime, but I thought it would be romantic to do it on our cruise. But you're right, we shouldn't have to pay a lot! :-)

We renewed our 10 year vows on the Freedom in 2007. It was perfect and exactly what we wanted. Unfortunately, I have seen that the price of the vow renewal has increased exponentially but what you get has decreased. We only paid $500 and we received the vows written for us after they met us and we sat down and spoke to the cooridnator, flowers for both, champagne, vow renewal certificate, cake, photography session and photographs taken all of the ship. I even purchased a new wedding gown for the ceremony. :D

1910194_18283641161_8127_n.jpg?oh=65af8e3475d82ef94150340c2e281939&oe=5617713E

We renewed our 10 year vows on the Freedom in 2007. It was perfect and exactly what we wanted. Unfortunately, I have seen that the price of the vow renewal has increased exponentially but what you get has decreased. We only paid $500 and we received the vows written for us after they met us and we sat down and spoke to the cooridnator, flowers for both, champagne, vow renewal certificate, cake, photography session and photographs taken all of the ship. I even purchased a new wedding gown for the ceremony. :D

1910194_18283641161_8127_n.jpg?oh=65af8e3475d82ef94150340c2e281939&oe=5617713E

That's awesome! Thank you for sharing your vow renewal story! Yes, they said it WAS $495, but went up to $1,195 in 2014 - crazy! :-(

That's awesome! Thank you for sharing your vow renewal story! Yes, they said it WAS $495, but went up to $1,195 in 2014 - crazy! :-(

Thanks and yes, that is crazy expensive for what you get now. Maybe try to find a nice place at one of the ports for a ceremony. I hope you find the perfect spot and congrats on your anniversary. :)

They do weddings on the beach behind Cocoa Beach Hilton. Sometimes the wedding party comes back at night to do Luminaries. I keep thinking they are going to land on our roof.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks and yes, that is crazy expensive for what you get now. Maybe try to find a nice place at one of the ports for a ceremony. I hope you find the perfect spot and congrats on your anniversary. :)

We actually want to do it on the ship during a sunset! Maybe we could find a place on the ship that isn't too crowded?

We actually want to do it on the ship during a sunset! Maybe we could find a place on the ship that isn't too crowded?

Unless they are having lessons or someone rents out the Flowrider, it is empty at that time of night (aft). It does tend to get a bit windy. Maybe even on the bow where the heli pad is, that would be pretty (again, depending on the wind) :)

I know you said you would rather do it on the ship than at a port. However, depending which ports, there are some awesome Wedding Coordinators that would be able to do a renewal for a fraction of what RR is charging!

I am shocked in over doubled in cost since last year...

RCI charges to have any of their staff involved in it. I doubt the Captain would do this for you, no offense... because then he would have to accommodate everyone else who asked him.

Why don't you do something on one of the Formal Nights? That way, you will all be dressed up and you can have your formal portraits taken for free at one of the many stations set up around the ship. Remember, you only buy the ones you want - no sitting fee or anything!

I totally agree with you! We just thought it would be romantic, especially on a cruise ship (since we both love cruising). Our "new" vows would reflect the challenges we've been through in the last several years in becoming parents (we have a 3 year old and a 1 year old), reaffirm our commitment to each other, and most importantly, to always keep Jesus at the center of our marriage. I want to tell my husband how proud I am of the father he has become. I know I can do that anytime, but I thought it would be romantic to do it on our cruise. But you're right, we shouldn't have to pay a lot! :-)

What you wrote above is a beautiful sentiment. On the first day or so, look around for a quiet place then come back one evening for the renewal. If you want to continue the celebration, book one of the specialty restaurants. You are lucky you will have your family with you, and you are correct - It does seem more romantic on a cruise.

I see you have those two small ones, perhaps you can try a sunrise vow renewal. Sunrise on a ship always gives me a sense of renewal anyway!

best wishes.

M

Not sure of the Freedom's set up, but what about something early evening in the Viking Crown. During dinner hours, it's usually a location that is very quiet. Maybe you could find a quiet corner to renew your vows, then head to a specialty restaurant for a nice dinner either with the family or as a couple.

Just want to add, I had a 50th vow renewal on the NCL Breakaway in June. The cost was $499 plus $100 for photographer. We had an officer officiate, music, cake, champagne toast. I was going back and forth should we do it, for me it seemed expensive. DH didn't think necessary. Did however convince him it was something to do and our family would have these lasting memories. We had, counting us, 8 people. It was so so worth it, even he said it was wonderful and glad I talked him into it. The memories are lasting. I like you wanted it on a ship. It was performed on our son's aft balcony. Do it, you won't be sorry.

Just want to add, I had a 50th vow renewal on the NCL Breakaway in June. The cost was $499 plus $100 for photographer. We had an officer officiate, music, cake, champagne toast. I was going back and forth should we do it, for me it seemed expensive. DH didn't think necessary. Did however convince him it was something to do and our family would have these lasting memories. We had, counting us, 8 people. It was so so worth it, even he said it was wonderful and glad I talked him into it. The memories are lasting. I like you wanted it on a ship. It was performed on our son's aft balcony. Do it, you won't be sorry.

Unfortunately it's $1200 in Freedom. Are you suggesting she changed ships

I have a few ideas. First, if you are Diamond or staying in a suite, check with your concierge. Second, contact the ship and see if they are going to be doing mass or have any other denomination on board that week. That reverend/father might be willing to help. Third (and probably a better idea), post this on your roll call!!! There may be someone there who will be willing to help you. You might suddenly find many new friends on your roll call who would love to plan a ceremony for you.

Good luck!

All great ideas everyone! My wife and I are planning to do our 25th wedding anniversary on a cruise and renewing our vows in Feb. 2018. We have looked at going to another cruise line to do it because of the cost but still have no idea what we will do.

We were married in the Mall of America with 80 other couples on the Radio at 9AM on a Friday morning. Not exactly a dream wedding so we want to make our 25th the most awesome anniversary party.

JoeRum

Unfortunately it's $1200 in Freedom. Are you suggesting she changed ships

We decided to go on the Breakaway because we didn't have to fly to port and there was more to do for the grandkids on the Breakaway. I'm saying whatever ship you decide on "do it" you won't regret it. You can't put a price tag on lasting memories.

We did our 40th renewal on Zuiderdam, we had not planned it beforehand, but it was really

nice and the Captain officiated. There was another couple that did 25 yrs and they had all

the newly weds in the lounge they used (alongside the main Dining Room)after 1st dinner

seating). They had a beautiful cake, we received an album with pictures to commemorate,

and it was quite inexpensive.

This was 10 yrs ago, but something you will always cherish:)