Your HAL Mariner Level: Matched by MSC

SilvertoGold

I was reading about MSC's new Voyagers Club.

It will match the loyalty status of other cruise lines. You will automatically acquire similar or higher status with MSC.

In contemplating their program, I wasn't very impressed with their rewards for someone with a HAL 5 star level. Spumante and fruit, a chocolate ship (really) dance lesson, one free specialty restaurant meal....and other non-tangibles like HAL has. No free laundry, no 50% off extra specialty meals, Cafe, wine packages, no cooking class.

Also, I was thinking that on a typical cruise an awfully lot of pax would qualify at some level or another, not that they give much until you qualify for the top one.

An interesting marketing plan.

Any comments?

I was reading about MSC's new Voyagers Club.

It will match the loyalty status of other cruise lines. You will automatically acquire similar or higher status with MSC.

In contemplating their program, I wasn't very impressed with their rewards for someone with a HAL 5 star level. Spumante and fruit, a chocolate ship (really) dance lesson, one free specialty restaurant meal....and other non-tangibles like HAL has. No free laundry, no 50% off extra specialty meals, Cafe, wine packages, no cooking class.

Also, I was thinking that on a typical cruise an awfully lot of pax would qualify at some level or another, not that they give much until you qualify for the top one.

An interesting marketing plan.

Any comments?

MSC is not currently on our list of potential cruise lines and while it is nice that they will match other loyalty programmes, their perks don't do anything to tempt us to reconsider

Good point that most cruises there likely would be a large number of 'high day' people from the various cruise lines.

I didn't read anything that would tempt me to try MSC. :)

I've also read about this loyalty match, targeted at USA cruisers to build market share. MSC is supposed to have good Italian food but they make announcements in multiple languages.

Personally I don't find loyalty perks on any line to be worth all that much. If the cruise line deteriorates a few perks will not hold my business but I know many cruisers really value them.

MSC is not currently on our list of potential cruise lines and while it is nice that they will match other loyalty programmes, their perks don't do anything to tempt us to reconsider

I agree, I don't see us taking a MSC cruise.

We took a one week cruise 2 summers back on MSC immediately prior to a Transatlantic on HAL. Thought we would totally hate it from all we'd read but it was in the right port on the right day and went to a couple places we hadn't been to previously. Plus the price was better than right. The ship was new, just christened by Sophia Loren. Over the top décor with lots of Venus Rising type sculpture and art with the atrium stairway made of Swarovsky crystals. WOW! It was a mega ship and children sailed free.....with everyone bringing about 4. Turns out there must have been a great kiddie program because we hardly saw them out or unattended. We read that getting an elevator was all but impossible - and it might have been. If we don't use the stairs, we don't get dessert so the elevators weren't an issue. We read that the buffet was a zoo and that the passengers were rather rude. Turns out the buffet went on for about a mile and had the same food starting at various places. We just kept walking until the crowds almost disappeared. The food was definitely not the Italian fare in many US restaurants and was very good, always subjective, of course. The production shows had dozens of performers and got standing ovations every single night. They were better than any we'd seen at sea before. Our cabin was lovely and new but squeaked as the ship rolled as spacers hadn't been installed in the ceiling. We complained and were moved to a lovely suite! The itinerary was a bit different in the Med as the ship picked up and discharged passengers in various ports. That sure made for quick embarking and disembarking. All in all, we were pleasantly surprised, so I guess all the negative things we read about were exaggerated or just not a problem. But it wasn't Holland America so we were happy to disembark and feel more at home for the Transatlantic.

Interesting comments and quite one-sided.

I wonder if any other line will follow this? I can't imagine it, but ..... marketing is marketing.

The more I see of other lines' loyalty plans, though, the more I think HAL does well with the Mariner rewards.

I guess the question is: if another line did this, who would you want it to be?

Edited by SilvertoGold

Definitely interesting, only goes to show MSC may be struggling and need some new cruiser blood. I do not have a desire to try either. I am already 4 star with Hal and 2 days away from NCL platinum level which is their highest and will reach that in November so I am already at the top of the cruise lines I prefer to cruise [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going on 3 stars HAL, we have sailed 3 Caribbean cruises on MSC, would go on them again in a heartbeat... The ships are beautiful, food was good, drink vouchers are a great idea, entertainment is excellent. HAL needs to revamp its Caribbean itinaries, same places, with short stays especially St Marten which needs more time in port. That being said we have yet another sailing on old faithful Westerdam in November. Got a great price on an SS cabin and I'm sure we will a fine time as usual, as we all know " A bad day at sea is always better than a good day at work"

I think it's great marketing on the part of MSC!

I would consider sailing with them, but not because of the loyalty match. They are offering a Bermuda cruise in 2016 from Miami which is very attractive to me as I would not have to fly to a port.

I don't see other cruise lines matching loyalty programs, although there are reciprocal benefits between RCI and Celebrity (both under the same corporate umbrella) if one is at least the second tier of either loyalty program. More people are cruising and reaching the higher levels of loyalty programs. Cruise lines are cutting some of the 'perks' from various loyalty programs. MSC wants more market share.

MSC knows they made mistakes with the US market and are trying to rectify. Their product was made for a European market and it didn't appeal to some people in the US. They announced earlier in the year that they will be building 2 (maybe 3) new ships committed to the US market. This loyalty program offer is another way to lure US customers back. They know that a lot of people cruise for loyalty benefits. I didn't look to see what they offered, but I thought it was an interesting idea. Here's an article about the new ships.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6252

Exactly. One of DH's M.D.s went on a MSC cruise last year. The multi-language announcements drove her crazy. This coming from someone who is poly-lingual, as is the rest of her household.

MSC is supposed to have good Italian food but they make announcements in multiple languages.

Supposed to ;) We were on the Divina on a charter and the food was very iffy: in the dining room pastas and fish dishes were good to very good, most others were not that great. The buffer wasn't very good - pretty much the same dishes every day.

There were only English announcements, but it was a charter and the Divina was based in Miami at the time. (Multiple language announcements would not bother me).

Service was bad in general.

I would not sail MSC again.

OK, I'll be greedy. I'd say match my Cunard days. And add my HAL days on top of that. (insert emoticon of a piggy!)

Even so, I don't know if I'd want to start learning my way around a new line. I can get on a Cunard ship or a HAL ship and know where I am right away. I guess I'm getting old--that comfort level is appealing to me.

I've been told MSC ships have good music, lots of classical music. Is that true?

We did a Med cruise on MSC several years ago before starting a HAL repositioning cruise back to the US. We enjoyed MSC. I like the dining room seating times, first seating at 7 PM and second at 9:30 PM. Very European. Our waiter said that when the ship had a predominately American passenger mix, first seating was at 5:30 PM. We are 3* Mariners, and it would be nice if MSC would provide the same perks (such as they are).

Personally, I'd be interested in being able to get my HAL level on Princess, if only because they have some great west coastal cruises that can be combined for one nice long cruise. Home-porting is important to me and HAL is quite so-so compared to Princess in that respect.