Tours in cruise ports and North American cruisers

Velvetwater

It seems to me theres often a certain split on cruisers that generally have to do tours in most ports and cruisers that like to go it alone. It often seems that it is North American cruisers that book way more tours in comparison to their European and Aussie et al counterparts...I have noticed this on these forums and on my cruises. This is especially so when in Europe and other far flung destinations.

I personally prefer to go it alone and I am not including 'experiences' such as wine tasting/snorkelling/food making etc as these are a little different and seem to be booked by everybody.

Obviously I have seen a few Brits book lots of Tours and a few USA cruisers book non but I can't help but notice this.

Anyone else agree or have any thoughts why this is so? I have my opinions on why but just wanted to hear others opinions too.

Edited by Velvetwater

As an American, I'll give my thoughts.

Our country is huge. From East Coast to Hawaii can be a 10 to 12 hour flight. While we may travel and visit in the same country,,, languages, foods, cultures are different,,,, however, we feel relatively safe traveling in our own country.

Language barrier. We are not taught to speak different languages which is a shame in my opinion. I was amazed when I was in Europe when I came across people who spoke 5 or 6 languages. When I asked about it, they compared me to having to speak a different language each time I crossed a State line here in the US. So,,, another reason we stay in packs would be due to language barriers perceived or real.

Third,,, safety. perceived or real, I've come of the opinion that as an American, I've got a huge target on my back for people who are upset with American foreign policies. Therefore, stay in organized tour pack.

I think it's a personal holiday style preference, most likely based on what you're used to. In Australia DIY holidaying is much more common, and we don't have a lot of resort style holiday locations and I don't think there is any all inclusive resorts here. So when holidaying at home we are used to organizing everything ourselves. I think that carries over to our cruising style. In saying that though I have taken ships tours in some ports mainly for logistics reasons, Naples for example we wanted to see Capri and Pompeii and it was easier to do it through a tour then trying to get there on our own. Same with Egypt we did a ships tour as it maximized what we got to see in limited time. But on our last South Pacific tour we did no organized tours, we just explored the ports on their own and we will probably mostly do that on our upcoming New Zealand cruise.

I think for some people comfort comes in to play, it can be nice to know everything is organized for you and there is no stress, if you haven't travelled abroad much it can be daunting to go on your own. For other people that's the whole fun of it :)

My thoughts....

• sea days are boring... I wanna explore the port, embrace what it has to offer, learn about the history, what makes the port special?
  • exercise... the average cruiser gains 1lb for each cruise day, especially at those AYCE buffets. I need to rack up some fitbit steps.
  • I'm there... how much will it cost me to return on a second trip to see what it has to offer?
  • excursions are paced to showcase the highlights in the limited time the boat is in port.
  • private vs ship booked tours... depends on how far I am from the port and whether I need to learn the local language.
  • captain's tour.... offered to only a dozen people for each cruise.... where do I sign up? I wanna see where my gratuities were going.
  • yes I'm an excursion addict? I am so weak.

Edited by xlxo

My thoughts....

• sea days are boring... I wanna explore the port, embrace what it has to offer, learn about the history, what makes the port special?
  • exercise... the average cruiser gains 1lb for each cruise day, especially at those AYCE buffets. I need to rack up some fitbit steps.
  • I'm there... how much will it cost me to return on a second trip to see what it has to offer?
  • excursions are paced to showcase the highlights in the limited time the boat is in port.

Thats my question though...since these reasons also apply also for when you are on your own why book an organised tour?

We booked one in St Petersburg for logistic,visa and money reasons and although we enjoyed our time it would have been better to go it alone. We said from that moment on we would never book a tour again unless it was part of an experience like wine tasting etc. Our Panama Canal cruise was read up and wander round the port with an idea of the places we wanted to see. I have wondered if its an age thing as we are young with no kids so that makes it easier. I would rather spend the £60 tour ticket money on port shopping and local drinks and food...horses for courses as they say.

On the language barrier thing, even though us Brits live near a heck of a lot of different languages country wise and our society is very multicultural a lot of us only speak English unfortunately. Saying that though I taught myself to speak German and I am about to learn Polish for career reasons. We always have language apps and books when we go on holiday.

Edited by Velvetwater

For us, "hassle factor" can be a determining factor.

We cruised recently, and booked more tours than we usually do, after my husband hurt himself at work :( I did not want to be DIY-ing and have him pull up lame.

Another factor for us is distance and time in port. How far do we need to go to get where we want to be? So we are mixed, sometimes we book ship tours, sometimes we DIY.

Once they get the teleporter working (so I can get to Europe without flying ;) ), I suspect we will do similar there. Evaluate hassle, time, and distance, and then decide which will work best for us in each port.

I just noticed that "cost/savings" doesn't enter our evaluation ;)

It is all personal choices and "comfort zone." Some people need the assurance of having someone in charge of where they are going, what they are seeing, and telling them what they are seeing. Some people are just uncomfortable in a foreign setting on their own. Some people have no problem setting out on their own, regardless of where they are, exploring on their own. Some people like a mix of both, depending on the location.

I'll make an assumption that Americans, on the whole, may feel more "comfortable" in that group tour setting outside of the US - no need to learn language, no need to learn traffic signage, no need to know how to read a train timetable, no need to figure out how to get somewhere, no need to figure out where to eat - it is all done for them in a nice, tidy package.

Me? I'm a "mix" person. I travel solo 95% of the time. So, I do plenty of research to see what I can and cannot do on my own. I do prefer the DIY method of travel and tourism. But, certain locations do bring up a need to visit in a SMALL group. Like in Israel - no problem DIY to Jerusalem, Haifa, Carmel National Park, Cesarea. But, I took a small tour to Nazereth, Bethleham, Masada. Like when I did Egypt - I did my trip with a small group of 14 other women. But, in main-line European destinations, I am a DIY person. I love train travel, driving myself, taking a bus.

And, yes, I am an American...

In 50+ cruises we have taken maybe 5 ship tours, generally go it alone. We prefer that for many reasons: costs; we don't like tours of more than 4 hours; we assume we will return again so don't need to do or see it all; my DH is from France he speaks many languages and even when he does speak the local language he is comfortable going it alone which is great for me as an American.

The few tours we have taken -- generally ship bus ride to a city we wanted to visit on our own, Seville comes to mind; St Petersburg Russia because could not go it alone without a visa; South America cities that were some distance from the port; Egyptian tours - given safety issues. The tours we have done were fine and glad we did at time.

We have had many wonder experiences going it alone that I would not trade for an organized tour.

Many folks don't want to take the time to learn a bit about where they're going...and that's pretty much essential if you want to DIY and get the most of your time ashore!

The only time we book a ship's excursion is if the destination/activity will be pushing the time constraints...otherwise, we research our ports...and do our own thing!

My thoughts are that the decision is often about the cost but everyone has their own comfort level.

In this thread you will see that people will typically be more willing to venture in an area that they are familiar with.

If we were talking about a cross country tour of Europe or North America you could can easily plan to do things day by day on your own. When you are talking about a one day stop in a city/region that you have never been to before and possibly don't speak the language if could be considered foolhardy to wander far from the port and risk missing the ship.

If you go to the Caribbean port of call threads, over and over you will see how few people take the cruiseline tours. Mainly because of the extra cost but these people have been to these ports many times and realize that the 3rd. party tours that are offered are very reliable and that most of the islands are small enough so that if there were an issue on a tour you are never far from the port.

About languages

Most in the U.S. do not live near other countries that speak another language. In Europe you're (seemingly) in another country, in what, four hours? I'm still in my county after four hours of driving to Vegas.

At the turn of the last century immigrants wanted to become American and their kids to become Americans. Americans spoke English.

There are advantages to both kinds of tours. A guided tour can get you to places that you wouldn't normally see or are difficult to get to.

Also some of those countries drive on the wrong side of the road.

About languages

Most in the U.S. do not live near other countries that speak another language. In Europe you're (seemingly) in another country, in what, four hours? I'm still in my county after four hours of driving to Vegas.

You would think so wouldn't you?

3 hours on the train then Eurostar to France from my City. :)

I cannot speak for my fellow Europeans from other countries but I have seen so many Brits get angry about lack of English language menus/staff abroad etc and others that just expect English everywhere and thats that.

Happily though I have met many fellow countrymen that are just the opposite.I actually enjoy using my phrase book/common sense/prior knowledge to find out what things are...but would not enjoy it when legging it back to the ship obviously.

I think cruisers, as a general population, are not as adventurous as people who travel by other methods. Many have not traveled much earlier in life and they select a cruise to visit "far flung" places because they feel a certain level of comfort -- every night they know what to expect in terms of food, where they will sleep, etc. And that carries over into wanting to take excursions where they also will feel safely shepherded around, in little danger of getting lost, missing the ship, etc.

Many Europeans I've met have traveled from an early age -- at least in their own and adjacent countries. I think you develop a certain confidence level by doing this as -- at the end of the day -- it's not really that different learning to navigate the subway whether you are in Singapore or Paris or Tokyo. If you can do it one place, you can do it in another...

Third,,, safety. perceived or real, I've come of the opinion that as an American, I've got a huge target on my back for people who are upset with American foreign policies. Therefore, stay in organized tour pack.

Most everywhere I've been, people are remarkably good at separating an average American traveler from those who are actually making the policies.

Most everywhere I've been, people are remarkably good at separating an average American traveler from those who are actually making the policies.

I heard a story of a French waiter who, upon learning that his patron was American, "accidentally" spilled his plate all over his lap. A long conversation later, the Frenchman later apologized.

It seems to me theres often a certain split on cruisers that generally have to do tours in most ports and cruisers that like to go it alone. It often seems that it is North American cruisers that book way more tours in comparison to their European and Aussie et al counterparts...I have noticed this on these forums and on my cruises. This is especially so when in Europe and other far flung destinations.

I personally prefer to go it alone and I am not including 'experiences' such as wine tasting/snorkelling/food making etc as these are a little different and seem to be booked by everybody.

Obviously I have seen a few Brits book lots of Tours and a few USA cruisers book non but I can't help but notice this.

Anyone else agree or have any thoughts why this is so? I have my opinions on why but just wanted to hear others opinions too.

Really interesting post. :)

USA cruiser here. :)

The US is a pretty big country and I have traveled it all of my life, including Hawaii and Alaska.

I've traveled several times in Canada, many times in Mexico, and other Caribbean locales.

We have spent many weeks in Europe, ten weeks in New Zealand and Australia, several Pacific islands and never once considered a tour in any of the above.

We arrived to cruising after a whole lot of DIY travel in a whole lot of places.

For us, on a cruise with a limited window of going somewhere we have never been, it makes sense to book a tour, either just for the two of us or a tour shared by a few other people.

Ship's tours, no, we learned that one really quickly. :D

Our upcoming cruises on Vision there are several places we haven't been and several we have. We have tours booked in some of the places we have never been. Others, like Venice, Paris (Le Havre), London (Southampton), we have walked all of it several times before so definitely don't need a tour.

I think there can be a generalization about the citizens from any given country being "adventurous" or not. There are a large percentage of people in any country who will never leave the boundaries of their own country or even their own state. Some don't have the desire, some don't have the time, some don't have the means.

Happy travel to all in whatever way you choose to do it. I am a firm believer in always having something to look forward to.

Edited by SPacificbound

It is amazing how many answers have been given, and nearly all are correct--for SOME of us! Some have a "fear factor" about traveling to "foreign" ports. There are many who find comfort in knowing they will be returning to the ship on time. Language barriers need not be a problem, but many do not know that. Many folks want a quick overview of the highlights in an area, in hopes of getting back for further exploration one day. Some are just not adventurous. But, I think as far as cruisers go, many of us sailing (at least on European holidays) are older and have not had the advantage of great land experiences. For many who could not afford European trips when younger, a cruise offers a reasonably secure and easy means to see those places they dreamed of for years.

We fell into that later category. With our upcoming third adventure in the Med, we feel more confident in DIYing most ports with the knowledge that we might miss something but that that is OK--there may very well be a "next time!"

About languages

At the turn of the last century immigrants wanted to become American and their kids to become Americans. Americans spoke English.

There are advantages to both kinds of tours. A guided tour can get you to places that you wouldn't normally see or are difficult to get to.

Also some of those countries drive on the wrong side of the road.

I think there is more contributing factors than just language barriers that stop people from being adventurous travelers though. Australia is almost the same size as the US and we share no borders with other countries. It takes nearly a week to drive from one side of the country to the other and the state I live in is larger than most European countries. So we have more language barriers than the US but generally speaking, Australians are usually pretty adventurous travellers.

BTW, driving on the left is the Correct way of driving, its you weird right side drivers who do it the wrong way :P

We totally agree with the assessment of our friend from "across the pond." DW and I are very independent travelers and have extensively cruised and traveled the world for nearly forty years. Our norm is to avoid any kind of tour unless it does something that we cannot reasonably do on our own. On cruises (and we have cruised all over the world on 6 Continents) we might take 1 excursion for about every 100 ports...and these would primarily be in places like Russia where there are Visa issues.

Having helped many here on CC (and person to person on cruises) with DIY travel, we have long been aware that our fellow Americans have a different mind-set when it comes to travel. While some of it might be attributed to our typical lack of language skills (other then English) this just does not explain what we hear all the time. I think that many Americans simply lack what I call the "spirit of adventure" when it comes to travel. Many are just uncomfortable doing anything on their own and are willing to pay big bucks to have somebody else do the thinking, guiding, hand holding, etc.

What we find fascinating are the number of fellow cruisers who have told us they think we are crazy and/or reckless to do things on our own. They will say things like, "how can you deal with the language barrier," "what if you get lost," "what if you miss the ship," or "don't you need a guide to tell you what you are seeing?" We used to try and convince folks otherwise, but no longer waste our breath and just help those (with DIY) that ask for help.

One other thing about Americans and Canadians. You will see many threads scattered around cruise critic, tripadvisor, and other blogs about safety. There are current threads here on CC questioning the safety of cruising in the Med, visiting Paris, going to Mexico, etc. Although we Americans live in a country with more then our share of crime and danger, our citizens often fret about the safety of the rest of the world. We live in Puerto Vallarta for 2 months a year (been doing this for 10 years) and find it one of the safest cities we have visited anywhere in the world (and we have been to about 100 countries). But many Americans rely on the news media for their info, and much of our newsmedia is now more like tabloids then real news :(. Not many Americans would rate the USA based on the crime/murder rate in parts of Detroit, Chicago, LA, etc. But those same folks will look at the news about specific areas of Mexico (a large country with 31 States) and apply a regional problem to an entire country. Of they hear about problems in Turkey, but do not have any concept that most of the risky areas are located in Southeastern Turkey...which is not visited by any cruise or tour.

Our people are horribly ignorant of basic geography. Ask the average American to find Belgium or Turkey on a blank map and they would have little clue. The current thread on CC about "safety in the Med" has folks painting the Med as dangerous because of problems in Tunesia. To explain to them that this is like painting the Atlantic as dangerous because if borders on Mexico or Venezuala is a waste of time. These folks just "know" that the entire Mediterranean is a dangerous place! So instead they head to the Baltic....which is dominated by a country which shot down an innocent civilian jetliner... Go figure.

Hank

I'm not sure I would be comfortable generalising. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is just a matter of numbers. On many cruises, North Americans far outnumber cruisers of other nationalities. So the sheer numbers taking ship's tours look like a big group, but the proportion might actually be similar to other nationalities.

I'm not sure I would be comfortable generalising. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is just a matter of numbers. On many cruises, North Americans far outnumber cruisers of other nationalities. So the sheer numbers taking ship's tours look like a big group, but the proportion might actually be similar to other nationalities.

Interesting point. I've been on a Swan Hellenic cruise (more than 90% of passengers were British) and certainly a large number of them were opting for the ship's excursions. Little info was available for those wanting to DIY.

In the interest of fairness, however, their excursions were generally smaller, were often enriched by one of the guest lecturers accompanying it, and did not include any gratuitous shopping stops that are such an annoyance (to me anyway) on the usual ship excursions.

My observation over the years has been that it is people from Asian countries that take the majority of group tours even for land based vacations. As to North Americans, we are so diverse, it is impossible to generalize. The cultures are completely different from state to state and country to country and even the way in which English words are used can have completely different meanings between regions and states. Language education also varies by region. In my state (Texas), almost everyone speaks both English and Spanish and schools actually teach classes 50-50 in both languages. So nearly everyone here speaks both languages fluently and it is not uncommon that they speak other languages as well. I also don't really know anyone from the USA who has ever taken an organized tour within the USA, but surely there are some people who have.

Overseas, my husband and I prefer DIY travel. If we are on a land trip, we rent a car and go where we want to go or use rail if it is practical. To me and my husband, the absolute worst situation to be in would be in a group tour. We do all we can to avoid those. At any rate, DIY is cheaper and much more enjoyable, at least for us.

When in the Caribbean or Canada/New England it would be a rare time we were on a tour.

When in Europe, more so and that is again partly due to language. It is also because we don't know we'll be back and some of us want to learn as much as we can. While just looking at St. Pauls, St. Peters, Sistine Chapel, Prado Museum, Louvre etc etc is beautiful to simply walk and look, we get so much more when we have a guide. I want to know the history, the folklore, the artists and the importance of what we are viewing. Yes, we can get recordings, guide books and the like but I enjoy a very small (even private) group with a knowledgeable guide to whom we can ask questions and go at our own pace.

As it turned out, we were incredibly fortunate to have a great many trips to Europe and we viewed St. Peters any number of times and Westminster Abbey etc My DH past away a year ago, way too soon, and I am now so grateful we did that travel, had those guides, saw such beauty and the incredible sights we enjoyed.

We always mixed it up with some guides and some days no guides depending upon what we wanted to view. I certainly didn't need a guide when we shopped. :D Burberry has a way of selling itself. :)