RCCL Sticks with No Last-Minute Discount Policy

Correct, for Jewel 2016-11-06, say cat "K" inside, now shows $512pp, but it was over $800pp in June and close to $1000pp in April - and it's still over a year away:eek:

Just checked to perhaps book. All suites are sold out more than 1 year away!

This policy is a load of crap and a flat out lie. I booked my cruise a few weeks. I paid $441 a person. Conveniently for RC, the day after Final payment, they dropped the price to $371 a person! And now they've dropped it even further to $299... So yeah, can't say this policy has stuck.

This policy is a load of crap and a flat out lie. I booked my cruise a few weeks. I paid $441 a person. Conveniently for RC, the day after Final payment, they dropped the price to $371 a person! And now they've dropped it even further to $299... So yeah, can't say this policy has stuck.

Am yet to see any evidence of it being crap or them lying.

They said prices may fall up to 10 days out. From the implication of your words i.e. 'after final payment' they're nowhere near that so well within what their policy defines.

They said they rather sail with empty cabins, which is very stupid.

Not for the long term. I've already seen the effects of this. My Freedom cruise has had lots of insides available after final payment. In years past, the norm was to cut the price drastically (30-40%) to quickly fill the empty cabins. Instead they dropped the price a little (~10%) and waited - guess what, people paid the higher fare and the cabins got filled. After final payment bargain hunters will have a more difficult time and once a couple of seasons of this becomes the norm, most folks will be accustomed to paying the going rate and not wait for big discounts.

BTW, for now this only applies to Caribbean sailings - drastic cuts in other markets still happen.

I check also. I have noticed that RC continues to raise the cost of photo packages. They realize what a money maker the pictures are! Celebrity and even Disney are more considerate then Royal has become.

RC isn't it a good marketing strategy to discount picture packages? Families will be reminded of great times and might cruise more often? Give your fans a break! We only purchased a handful of photo's on the Quantum of the sea's. You didn't make money on us as we usually take a good package. You disguard the photo's at the end of the cruise and have your fixed photographer costs. Guest will stop purchasing your photo's in quantity soon.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Not for the long term. I've already seen the effects of this. My Freedom cruise has had lots of insides available after final payment. In years past, the norm was to cut the price drastically (30-40%) to quickly fill the empty cabins. Instead they dropped the price a little (~10%) and waited - guess what, people paid the higher fare and the cabins got filled. After final payment bargain hunters will have a more difficult time and once a couple of seasons of this becomes the norm, most folks will be accustomed to paying the going rate and not wait for big discounts.

BTW, for now this only applies to Caribbean sailings - drastic cuts in other markets still happen.

In the latest a earnings call Royal announced that they were extending thus policy to the UK market as well.

Theyre speaking in generalities. MOST last minute bargain hunters exhibit certain spending characteristics. I actually would tend to spend MORE if I got a really cheap cruise but you and I are the minority

i would consider myself a last minute cruiser. i own a family business so its very easy for me to get away. if i feel i get a good deal I'll do multiple cruises a year, but i also spend a lot on board as well. at least half the nights are usually at specialty restaurants. my wife and kids are always buying stuff as well so i hope i dont fit in the bargain hunter category, lol but then again i dont really care..

i dont think of RCCL as a premium brand so i think this will hurt there bottom line more than it would have hurt there "upscale" image

I check also. I have noticed that RC continues to raise the cost of photo packages. They realize what a money maker the pictures are! Celebrity and even Disney are more considerate then Royal has become.

RC isn't it a good marketing strategy to discount picture packages? Families will be reminded of great times and might cruise more often? Give your fans a break! We only purchased a handful of photo's on the Quantum of the sea's. You didn't make money on us as we usually take a good package. You disguard the photo's at the end of the cruise and have your fixed photographer costs. Guest will stop purchasing your photo's in quantity soon.

Normally, the cruise lines do not operate the photo packages. The photo packages are usually sold by an independent contractor who is not at all interested in marketing the cruise line.

I thought They give discounts on photo packages to Crown and Anchor Members?

i would consider myself a last minute cruiser. i own a family business so its very easy for me to get away. if i feel i get a good deal I'll do multiple cruises a year, but i also spend a lot on board as well. at least half the nights are usually at specialty restaurants. my wife and kids are always buying stuff as well so i hope i dont fit in the bargain hunter category, lol but then again i dont really care..

i dont think of RCCL as a premium brand so i think this will hurt there bottom line more than it would have hurt there "upscale" image

Time will tell but so far the policy is working for them. People are now realizing to book as early as possible to get the best pricing

I watched pricing all spring and summer for an Allure December 13th and last week, I finally did book a Superior Ocean Balcony D6 for abour $300 PP less than I found at any "sale" erlier this year. So I think they are still discounting where they need to fill cabins.

I was real surprised how the perks varied greatly from TA to TA

I thought They give discounts on photo packages to Crown and Anchor Members?

Yes, there are different benefits given at different levels. I get one free picture, and that is the only one I take home. I can't see spending that kind of money of photos.

It also seems that with the packages, there are less photographers roaming around taking pics.

I know I probably shouldn't, but I have still been checking the prices of comparable cabins on our Oasis (November 14th) cruise. As of today, the very few remaining cabins in our category are still $1100 ($550/person) higher than what we paid, and we got decent OBC as well that they aren't offering right now.

We always book early. We booked the New Year's eve cruise on the Allure of the Seas, about one year in advance. We got kids free and an Ocean View Family cabin. We didn't have to pay for three grandchildren. Just my son and dtr in law. We paid for our CPV balcony cabin and had the rate adjusted three times before the final payment. So we did save a lot of money! Now our CPV cabin is about 15% more then our final payment. My son and his family's cabin isn't available for love or money as their are so few on the entire ship. We got an fabulous deal! I think you should alway book early!!

I watched pricing all spring and summer for an Allure December 13th and last week, I finally did book a Superior Ocean Balcony D6 for abour $300 PP less than I found at any "sale" erlier this year. So I think they are still discounting where they need to fill cabins.

Much of this pricing discount depends on where you look from - that sailing was at $913 pp on Labor day (before final payment) so only about $80 above where you booked. RCI changes prices all the time due to the various promos - 10 to 20% swings are routine (the latest 30% sale promo cut 7% off the previous BOGO sale). It's the 30% and more discounts that are less common and the ones RCI wants to do away with. And usually those used to occur around 30 days out (or a bit closer in with Oasis class). Although there are still D6 cabins left I have a feeling that $829 you paid is not going much lower. For those of you who say always book when the sailing is first listed to get the best prices - that D6 cabin started off at $1049 and the lowest it has been till last weekend was during the real BOGO sale at the start of May 2014 at $865. As usual pricing trends depend on time of year, itinerary, ship and now this apparent reluctance on RCI's part to deep discount at the last minute.

It appears to me that RC has a few select going going gone deals right now. After thanksgiving is low season and tough to fill the big ships. I see GTY OV balconies at $760 on Oasis. Not an all time low, but IMO RC may be conceding a little.

Yea I live in South Florida, and I've taken a cruise every year in January for the last 4 years due to a last minute price slashing. Last year was a 3 day Majesty Oceanview for $89 p/p . . . year before was the Constellation Oceanview out of Fort Lauderdale for $99 p/p for 3 nights.

This year we'll see if it all holds true. Usually takes patience but they've always dropped eventually.

Time will tell but so far the policy is working for them. People are now realizing to book as early as possible to get the best pricing

What do you think would happen if people stopped playing ball and the early bookings dried up?

I hope they can hold price as I have in past been an early booker. Currently am a late booker as I don't have any desire for a specific cabin.

What do you think would happen if people stopped playing ball and the early bookings dried up?

Are you saying that I should stop booking early when the prices are at their best because that would enhance the chances of those who prefer to book at the last minute to get better deals?

It looks to me like most of those who are upset at this change in policy are retirees or others living close to the port. Many of us can't afford to wait for last minute deals since we need to make arrangements for vacations, hotels, flights, etc.

BTW, I booked an OS back in Dec 14 at about $5250. Last I checked there was one left for $14,500. Now explain to me again why I should have waited to book?

Tried my first couple of cruises only because they were good deals at the last minute.

Now I usually book way in advance but with the RCI pricing over the last 18 months, 3 of my 4 early bookings have not gone to RCI.

I don't really have a problem with RCI not wanting to discount but as an early booker it never bothered me either, you book last minute and gamble on not getting onboard at all or getting a crappy room, I book early and get my choice of rooms.

Are you saying that I should stop booking early when the prices are at their best because that would enhance the chances of those who prefer to book at the last minute to get better deals?

It looks to me like most of those who are upset at this change in policy are retirees or others living close to the port. Many of us can't afford to wait for last minute deals since we need to make arrangements for vacations, hotels, flights, etc.

BTW, I booked an OS back in Dec 14 at about $5250. Last I checked there was one left for $14,500. Now explain to me again why I should have waited to book?

Did you actually read my post? The question is what would happen if all the early bookings dried up? Until they do what is there to explain to you? The deal you got by booking early would probably be a much better deal if the CEO's found themselves with empty ships 3 months out from the sailing date.