Luggage Overboard

DiMar

Just got off the Celebrity Equinox without my luggage. They told me my suitcase went into the ocean by accident along with 11 other bags! They were supposed to bring my stuff all washed to my hotel in Barcelona. They didn't and the ship sailed an hour ago! Needless to say I'm furious and I have no clothes! NEVER TRUST THEM WITH YOUR BAGS AGAIN!!!!

Just got off the Celebrity Equinox without my luggage. They told me my suitcase went into the ocean by accident along with 11 other bags! They were supposed to bring my stuff all washed to my hotel in Barcelona. They didn't and the ship sailed an hour ago! Needless to say I'm furious and I have no clothes! NEVER TRUST THEM WITH YOUR BAGS AGAIN!!!!

That's awful! I often wondered if this had ever happened to anybody. I wonder if there is a Celebrity rep or someone at the port you can contact.

How awful! Years ago I was in a similar position, left with only the clothes on my back. Different circumstances, not cruise related, but I can empathize.

There was a very long thread about a year ago, maybe a bit less, when Celebrity lost the bags of another passenger in Europe and she had the hardest time trying to squeeze any money out of Celebrity. I don't recall all of the details, but a search might turn up the thread and give you some ideas on how to proceed.

Good luck...

Sorry to hear that...but...

Stuff happens...

I would guess this happens RARELY...

I have traveled a lot...

Never had a cruise lines drop my bags overboard...

I have had the luggage tag get ripped off and I had to go to the storage room to find and claim it...A hassle, but not a major problem...

And I have had them deliver it to the wrong cabin (we had a last minute change of cabin)...easy enough to find...

Once had Swiss Air lose my luggage...We flew to London, my suitcase flew to Zurich...It took them three days to catch up with me...

But, even with that, it is not cause to stop checking my luggage...

I DO know not to place any valuables in the checked bag--no cameras, no cash, no credit cards, no medications, no expensive jewelry...That stuff always goes with me or in a carry-on...

Clothes can be easily replaced...

It is also a reason to consider mixing yours and your spouse's clothes half and half in each case...

And, of course, insurance can help here too...

But, again, it's hard to picture them dropping it in the water and not being able to retrieve it too often...The ship generally pulls right up to the dock and a door is opened leading directly to the dock. They don't load it or unload it from the water...

Just because the next cruise sailed doesn't mean that shoreside personnel are not working on this. Presumably ther has only been a few hours since the incident...not enough time has passed for them to wash/dry clean things. Don't give up, it might just be too soon

Sorry to hear that...but...

Stuff happens...

I would guess this happens RARELY...

I have traveled a lot...

Never had a cruise lines drop my bags overboard...

But, again, it's hard to picture them dropping it in the water and not being able to retrieve it too often...The ship generally pulls right up to the dock and a door is opened leading directly to the dock. They don't load it or unload it from the water...

Yes, stuff happens....... I actually saw it happen ...... about 15 years ago in one of the California ports. The port personnel was loading the carts full of luggage from the shore to the ship. One of the hi-lo drivers was not very careful and in the process of transferring the full cart the short distance ( maybe 10 ft), the cart moved to one side and some luggage went below. Some stayed in the net below, but some went in the water.

Edited by wieslaw

Dimar -- that's terrible! I feel so bad for you, having this happen on your vacation! :( Are you in contact with Miami, or are you dealing with the X folks who work at the pier?

And, I can see why you feel yours is a cautionary tale -- but like others here -- I just can't seem to "travel light". So, I will just have to keep my fingers crossed that mine are never in that small percentage of bags that decide to go swimming! ;)

I would be sure that both the home office and whoever is handling the problem locally have your phone number, email addy, and address where you're staying, so they can contact you and/or deliver the missing items.

Yes, stuff happens....... I actually saw it happen ...... about 15 years ago in one of the California ports. The port personnel was loading the carts full of luggage from the shore to the ship. One of the hi-lo drivers was not very careful and in the process of transferring the full cart the short distance ( maybe 10 ft), the cart moved to one side and some luggage went below. Some stayed in the net below, but some went in the water.

Also saw this boarding a Celeb ship in FLL otpr Miami....worst part was watching the luggage handlers stare at the water, shrug shoulders and move onto the next batch. Scary!

Absolutely a great example of why one should cross pack with your travel companion, so if at least one suitcase makes it then you both have clothes.

We have been doing this for years for both land and sea trips. Easy way to have at least some clothes if one bag is lost.

Did you try and call Celebrities port agent to see if they can find out more information or at least see if they can give you a local contact that might know more.

If they were going to have the clothes cleaned that could take some time.

Edited by RDC1

NEVER TRUST THEM WITH YOUR BAGS AGAIN!!!!

While I'm sorry that this has happened to you, I don't think I will follow your advice.

There are too many things in life that I wouldn't do

if they were based solely on a few people's bad experiences.

I hope all of your things are returned to you quickly!:)

My switch to red. People get hit crossing streets all the time. Does that you will never trust that an oncoming driver is going to hit you. Perhaps you can find and provide statistics as to how many people have their luggage go into the drink every year.

Certainly Celebrity owes you an explanation as to why they did not get your stuff to you cleaned and washed but your NEVER AGAIN statement is a bit of an over reaction.

DON

While I'm sorry that this has happened to you, I don't think I will follow your advice.

There are too many things in life that I wouldn't do

if they were based solely on a few people's bad experiences.

I hope all of your things are returned to you quickly!:)

My switch to red. People get hit crossing streets all the time. Does that you will never trust that an oncoming driver is going to hit you. Perhaps you can find and provide statistics as to how many people have their luggage go into the drink every year.

Certainly Celebrity owes you an explanation as to why they did not get your stuff to you cleaned and washed but your NEVER AGAIN statement is a bit of an over reaction.

DON

And how many people have their luggage lost on airlines! Stuff happens.

I agree with those of you who aren't worried about a very rare occurrence. If we were to avoid doing everything that someone has ever had a problem with, we would never get out of bed - and even there some people have had bad things happen!

Living in a perpetual state of avoidance is not a good way to live.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Sorry for your misfortune. I really don't understand your " never trust them again" comment, it was a rare accident.

DON

And how many people have their luggage lost on airlines! Stuff happens.

I agree with those of you who aren't worried about a very rare occurrence. If we were to avoid doing everything that someone has ever had a problem with, we would never get out of bed - and even there some people have had bad things happen!

Living in a perpetual state of avoidance is not a good way to live.

It's easy to sit at home and calmly assess the implications, but the OP is clearly and rightfully upset. Give DiMar and opportunity to vent a bit, as I think most of us would in this situation.

Sorry for your misfortune. I really don't understand your " never trust them again" comment, it was a rare accident.

A rare accident, but an understandable off-the-cuff comment, given the circumstances. Let's not criticize the OP for his/her initial reaction to this holiday snag. OP - hoping this all ends well, the suitcase shows up, and that you travel home (or continue on your holiday) with a pile of freshly laundered clothes and an interesting story to tell.