HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

I think the problem may have been no jeans permitted on Formal (Gala) Night in MDR but they are permitted all other nights. That should have been explained to you but apparently HAL is confused as to what they mean so why wouldn't we be? :D

:) to be honest, it didn't bother me that much. I am not really a gala kind of person anyway. imo seeing many people with short-sleeved shirts (no jacket or tie at all) and mismatching pants being allowed on the formal night was just a bit weird.

Btw, on -smart- casual nights I even saw quite some adults wearing shorts in the MDR.

I booked a cruise last week and my Confirmation Email had the Before You Go link to HAL’s website. Here’s the updated “Know Before You Go” brochure, dated 07/2015: http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf containing the updated language mentioned above, although the FAQ portion of the website hasn’t yet been updated. Page 7 addresses Clothing, and others report their Express Documents contain the updated language, as well (discussed here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2242179 and here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2239562&page=5).

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

Has any body tried to call ship services?

Kim Swenson or Mariners society would know!

Sorry I would call but I am on a flight right at the moment to Europe.

Thought I'd get on the CC board with my free wi fi.

I would like to know also since it would help us greatly with our Med cruise next year.

Denise:)

For the 3 cruises that I have booked, I decided to purchase a new tuxedo and a new formal shirt (the sea air has shrunk my older ones) so that I would be more comfortable.

If the dress code for formal night, aka gala night, changes, so be it. I am wearing what I think is appropriate for those evenings and it won't be a collared shirt and slacks.

How could one NOT dress formally for some evenings, i.e. New Year's Eve, unless one is on a party-hardy type of cruise?

Even in land-locked southwestern Ohio, there are some events where formal wear is expected and mostly observed.

Has any body tried to call ship services?

Kim Swenson or Mariners society would know!

Sorry I would call but I am on a flight right at the moment to Europe.

Thought I'd get on the CC board with my free wi fi.

I would like to know also since it would help us greatly with our Med cruise next year.

Denise:)

Ship Services is closed on the weekends. I think I will give them a call on Monday.

Does it really matter what you wear??? I feel as long as you are comfortable, clean and polite what difference does it really make??? We all need to be thankful for what we have. If you want to dress up then dress up, if you just want to be casual so be it. This is just my opinion. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Relax and enjoy. Life's too short to get so worked up.

Jade 13, you are in fact correct!!! Yippee! I called HAL to ask the question just to confirm your findings. The agent said that although some men/women will use the Gala nights to dress up = which is perfectly fine - the minimum requirement for men is a collard shirt and slacks. No jacket or tie is required. Her comment is that it appears that the Gala nights are starting to resemble the smart casual nights. Will my husband bring a jacket - sure. Sometimes the dining room is cold and none of us needs to get sick but it will be his choice to wear it or not.

We're all adults and as such - after spending the amount of money we've all spent, we'll look nice but we now have the option to dress nicely but not formal. Some will be upset but remember, you can dress exactly the way you wish on the Gala nights. If you want to go formal, by all means do so.

Now, please don't shoot the messenger here. When in doubt, please contact your agent or HAL to confirm what I was just told.

Karen

It has only bothered me once on a cruise when others did not dress according to the dress code for the evening. This was a Caribbean cruise aboard Star Princess.

Awaiting the start of the show in the theater, dressed in my tux on formal night with most of the others around me in either formal wear or coat/tie and the ladies lovely in their nice clothes, two empty seats next to me became occupied by a couple wearing clean t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops.

I hope this type of situation does not begin to be part of the "Signature of Excellence" experience on Holland America Line.

Is it April 1 already ? or has HAL finally capitulated and chosen to adopt the lowest common denominator dress code ? :eek: I am quite anxious to read their new revised requirements or suggestions on the web site and in print. I am not at all sure we are interested in going on a ship whose recommended dress is : "You can wear a suit or whatever else pleases you." :rolleyes:

Well to me "Nice Jeans" are an oxymoron and should not be seen in formal restaurants

I agree with you 100%. I believe jeans are for home and fast food restaurants, Denny's, IHOP and other Diners, never ever in a restaurant such as the cruise lines have:)

Joanie

For the 3 cruises that I have booked, I decided to purchase a new tuxedo and a new formal shirt (the sea air has shrunk my older ones) so that I would be more comfortable.

If the dress code for formal night, aka gala night, changes, so be it. I am wearing what I think is appropriate for those evenings and it won't be a collared shirt and slacks.

How could one NOT dress formally for some evenings, i.e. New Year's Eve, unless one is on a party-hardy type of cruise?

Even in land-locked southwestern Ohio, there are some events where formal wear is expected and mostly observed.

:D:D I get that problem every cruise - glad I'm not alone.

I read Jade's post a couple of times and it sounds like HAL is bringing in formal "optional" nights per chance? This to me is a mish mash.

I could be wrong, but it's just my best guess?

I think that we all agree that waiting for an official indication from HAL is the best course of action, but in the mean time, I see no reason to belittle the OP. It sounds like you're upset with the message and have decided to shoot the messenger!

Completely agree with you!

Most of the mainstream cruise lines are going more casual for dinner. If HAL wants to attract a broader demographic then must follow the trend. Given the hassle of traveling by plane and baggage restrictions on size and weight, not having to worry about formal clothes is a blessing. Maybe HAL should consider seating formally dresses guests in one section of the dining room, or at a particular time. My Dad always wore a tux when we cruised and all dinner on the ship were "jacket and toe, of course." My husband has never worn a tux. Times are changing. That said, folks can always dress above the standard or go to specialty dining 😀

I read Jade's post a couple of times and it sounds like HAL is bringing in formal "optional" nights per chance? This to me is a mish mash.

I could be wrong, but it's just my best guess?

I think that's exactly what is happening. I'm not sure when the change was made, but in February 2015, our docs said:

On festive Formal evenings,

ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a

jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal

nights per week.

To me, that isn't subject to interpretation: men wear jackets and ties.

Our e-docs for our September 2015 cruise say:

For gentlemen, jacket and tie are

appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants

except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts.

Again, I see no (reasonable) room for interpretation: jackets and ties are appropriate but not required while collared shirt and slacks are.

While the change has been reflected in the e-docs for a number of weeks, and some of us have flagged this change for a while, HAL employees are only now starting to confirm the inevitable result: no formal dress requirement. Of course, as my chat posted earlier in this thread shows, apparently not everyone in HAL knows yet, even their front-line staff.

Edited by Fouremco

Sometimes we just want the MDR food without the formal night drama and eat on our veranda.

It would be nice to have the choice to dress-up or not and still enjoy the service in the MDR.

Especially when travelling three days to get to the port, with four adults in a medium SUV, therefore limited luggage room. DH's dress shoes, suit and tie require an extra suitcase.

We're all adults and as such - after spending the amount of money we've all spent, we'll look nice but we now have the option to dress nicely but not formal. Some will be upset but remember, you can dress exactly the way you wish on the Gala nights. If you want to go formal, by all means do so.

Karen

Well, not exactly ANY way you wish. Hopefully it will be a while before we start to see shorts, t-shirts with slogans or bathrobes in the MDR on 'Gala' nights.

Most of the mainstream cruise lines are going more casual for dinner. If HAL wants to attract a broader demographic then must follow the trend. Given the hassle of traveling by plane and baggage restrictions on size and weight, not having to worry about formal clothes is a blessing. Maybe HAL should consider seating formally dresses guests in one section of the dining room, or at a particular time. My Dad always wore a tux when we cruised and all dinner on the ship were "jacket and toe, of course." My husband has never worn a tux. Times are changing. That said, folks can always dress above the standard or go to specialty dining 😀

Or HAL could choose to not be part of the herd and try and have a unique brand. I have said repeatedly that HAL can't out Walmart Walmart or in this case Carnival or NCL. If you want to be the same, collapse the company into another subsidiary.

Something else that has been updated is the language about shorts. They have been removed from the list of clothing left best to the daytime in the “Know Before You Go” document and E-docs. And where they were previously not allowed in public areas on any evening, they are specifically mentioned as permitted on the Lido Deck, along with jeans and T-shirts, during Gala Nights. (See the later posts on Thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2239562&page=5 for more).