Condo Cruising...Is it For You?

need2cruisesoon

There already is a condo cruise ship, the Residensea. We saw it when it was docked in Lima and we talked to a couple of owners when they came ashore in Lahaina Maui. Looks fabulous and very expensive.

Edited by Viv0828
  • Like 1

This is nothing new. The Residensea vessel has been sailing for over a dozen years and seems to be doing quite fine. It is an interesting concept for those with the time and financial resources. We chatted with a couple (when we were in Key West) that are one of the original buyers of a suite on The World (name of Resendensea's ship) and they gave us an interesting perspective. This family had previously owned their own yacht which they used about half the year (and tried to charter it out the remainder). They said while it was fun, it was very expensive and a real "pain in the behind" dealing with all the hassles of ownership. So they sold their boat and bought a large suite on The World. If they are not using their suite they can allow it to be rented (which helps cover their own costs).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I thought I had posted last night, but I guess I was dreaming it…

My hairstylist received a tip from one of her clients - using their World unit for some of the time it was in Europe a couple of years ago! She said it was absolutely amazing. The one thing she said was that there really wasn't any socializing - most people just stuck to their condo. But, she met some "friends" with some of the employees since she went to the same places on the ship many times. She is a DIY type of person, so she had no issues with making her own way in ports and such. She did not take advantage of any on-ship excursion services (if offered).

I watched a show on Travel Channel a few years ago about The World.

My take was that it was more like living in a condo at sea rather than a resort at sea. The entertainment was minimal and seemed as though there was poor attendance. You could eat in the dining room or cook in your cabin or even order room service (I think).

I don't think I would want to live aboard year round but it might be nice to live 3 months at a time.

A friend was looking at buying on The World but said no way when he was told of the lengths they go to, to avoid anything other than dead calm seas.

He was told that when it crosses Bass Straight, in Australia, it sails near enough to empty and everyone flies across. He figured he didn't want to live with people that wanted to live on a ship but not feel the ocean.

I have also seen documentaries about the The World residential ocean liner and feel that given the choice I would much rather sail several legs of the World Cruise.

It doesn't seem as if there is the same sense of excitement, pizzazz and energy on board these residential ships. I would prefer the charge you get from cruising aboard a traditional ship.

Jonathan