Passengers as entertainers

mcgratru

So....Princess seems to be going with more and more passenger game show, singing, variety show entertaining. On our recent cruise to Alaska they seem to have cut back on evening activities and replaced them with these. It is like bad reality TV has come to cruise with you!

Personally I can't think of anything I would be less interested in (well maybe the Carnival Hairy Chest contests:) ).

Opinions? Perhaps I am in the minority and people are just clamoring to get on a Princess ship to see "the marriage game" or passenger karaoke and "so you think you have talent" events??

Edited by mcgratru

I seem to see more and more of these on cruises, and while we don't usually attend or participate (participated once in the Marriage Game...never again! :p) am fine with these passenger events unless they take the place of musical groups, production shows, etc.

Yes. That is my concern. They seem to be instead of the regular entertainment and not in addition to ship shows.

If people like them, great! But it seemed on the Crown there were fewer entertainment options because these events were going on.

Edited by mcgratru

Passenger participation is nothing new. I'm actually for it--I did the Newlywed Game, and it was a blast. The talented cruise director did a good job making us look like we were the comedians. The thing is, though, we didn't really do that much. It's our cruise. If anyone had told us we needed to hold up to Princess standards, or got pressured at all so that it became "work", we just wouldn't have done it. But if I happened to play guitar and already knew some songs, I would be delighted to share some on stage. I would even enjoy a jam session together with the pros, so long as it didn't become "work".

But then you've got the other side: the audience--as in, the majority of people. They have to be interested to watch. It's a tough balancing act.

Edited by tetleytea

On our Star sailing last week, it was a great mix between the production and "staff" entertainment and some audience participation activities. There were the typical production shows with the singers and dancers, Comedian, vocal impressionist, instrumentalist, piano/singer in Crooners, guitarist, string quartet, etc. All very good. There were the typical "game shows" audience participation, ie yes/no, love & marriage, Quest, pop choir and karaoke contest, etc. All around a good mix.

I did enjoy particularly one evening where they did a "jam" session in wheelhouse with Henry Hood, the guitarist, the dance band Accent and any guests or crew who wanted to jam could take a stab at the instruments. Went on for about an hour. Good times. Had a few guests step up on drums (husband), guitar a few times, bass and piano. Lots of fun, the place was packed!

We've not seen where guests as entertainers are outnumbering the professional shows, seems to be similar as always...

With many, many cruises behind me, I'm not interested in another salute to Hollywood or Broadway show. The game show format has its moments, but not something I would volunteer to participate in; I can laugh at myself but really don't need to make a fool of myself in front of 4000 passengers. I've sat through enough songs and jokes by untalented CD's.

At one time, back when a "large ship" held about 700 passengers, I enjoyed the passenger talent show - and there was some fantastic talent among the passengers. On one cruise, a former member of a major recording group was onboard, and he was better than the featured entertainers. Then we also had to endure the 7-year old tap dancing, ugh!

Overall, Princess does provide a range of entertainment on its ships. Personally, I enjoy a pianist or similar in a lounge or bar area rather than the large entertainment venues. Now if only some of those magicians would disappear along with their rabbit!

Darcy

I seem to see more and more of these on cruises, and while we don't usually attend or participate (participated once in the Marriage Game...never again! :p) am fine with these passenger events unless they take the place of musical groups, production shows, etc.

Think Princess is going backwards in their entertainment. :(

So....Princess seems to be going with more and more passenger game show, singing, variety show entertaining. On our recent cruise to Alaska they seem to have cut back on evening activities and replaced them with these. It is like bad reality TV has come to cruise with you!

I agree. As others have said the passenger participation entertainment isn't new, and some really enjoy it. But it feels like it is increasing being over done. I groaned when I saw the announcement about 'The Voice' coming to Princess, seemed like a trendy ploy to further cutback on the entertainment budget.

My after dinner entertainment usually consists of getting something from the bar and sitting outside listening to the waves going by; so this change won't bother me. However on those evenings when I want to sit and listen to a great dance band in the Wheelhouse, I'd still want that available.

If they keep the "regular" entertainment I have no issue with adding additional passenger participation events.

We were pulled out of the audience at a "pub night" thing and had to perform idiotic actions but it was all in fun and we did win the "coveted" Princess water bottles. We volunteered to participate in a game where you had to decide which crew member gave the correct definition of a word and my wife and I kicked butt. :) That time we won some absolutely "fabulous" champagne.

Both of those were on the same cruise and there was a truly crazy member of the CD staff who made it fun. We caught part of a Karaoke deal on one cruise and the passengers who sang were, almost uniformly, BAD. I don't think we will be attending the new Voice thing on our upcoming cruises. We certainly wouldn't consider participating!

Passenger entertainment is fine, such as the old standby the passenger talent show. Some talent is good, some not so good, but that is what you expect to see. Pop Choir, Uke concert, Hula dancing these are also nice, and no one is turned away or needs to qualify. Show up and you participate. But, passenger talent competitions, in my opinion, that "select" only the good or only those that have large groups traveling with them should be avoided.

Passenger participation shows has been around for years. It's nothing new. I can remember seeing many passenger talent shows, games, Pop Choir, etc.

I agree, and I haven't noticed more of the genre recently. Besides, as far as I know, no one drags you in and forces you to watch. There are still other entertainment options available on the ship. I (practically) never attend the passenger participation things, and I still enjoy myself on a cruise.

Princess has had passenger participation things for ages. They are in addition to the regular entertainment and does not replace it. :)

On the Grand class ships there used to be different entertainment options in the Princess Theater and the Explorers Lounge most evenings. Fifty minutes of entertainment sessions in both venues.

At the same time that Princess Theater shows were reduced to 30-35 minutes, much of the featured entertainers in Explorers disappeared and the venue was mainly used for passenger participation game shows in the evfening.

So, yes, some regular entertainment has already been replaced with passenger participation activities.

Passenger participation shows has been around for years. It's nothing new. I can remember seeing many passenger talent shows, games, Pop Choir, etc.

Yep.

And what is Karaoke but passengers entertaining.

A bit like the explosion in reality TV poor old actors and entertainers must be doing it tough.

One upside could be smaller crowds in the venue I want to attend, if there are more activities going on at the same time in other venues.

Yep the more activities the better, except they keep putting the ones I want to go to on at the same time.:(