LIVE -- Insignia, August 16, 2015

What A Market

What makes tipping before a service not acceptable on Oceania. Don't see any rules about that. If tipping before to get good service is not acceptable in the dining room, it should not be acceptable to the butler. You can't have it both ways. Tipping to get tables in restaurants has been going on forever.

the flames begin. lol

Alex

IMHO bribery (tipping) prior to services being rendered in any case and to anyone is unacceptable behavior. In the case of bribing the matre'd to get a table that was not available to another passenger just prior to the bribery is completely abhorrent and allows the table to be "bought"

imho bribery (tipping) prior to services being rendered in any case and to anyone is unacceptable behavior. In the case of bribing the matre'd to get a table that was not available to another passenger just prior to the bribery is completely abhorrent and allows the table to be "bought"

+++1

I agree completely about tipping in advance, and only give the 'extra' tips on the last day of a cruise to those individuals in whatever capacity that went over and above.

On our last 32 day Grand Voyage on Marina, we observed people coming up to virtually every Maitre'd at the Specialties asking for tables. In every case they were turned away and I never observed someone attempting a tip. Even talked with the Maitre'd at Polo and he was quite exasperated with the number of people who thought they could just walk right in. Said it was happening every night.

One comment: Just because tables are open in a Specialty at a given moment, that doesn't mean they are not being held for someone who has a later reservation. They can only turn a table twice in an evening so if someone dines at 6:30 and eats promptly (often happens with just two at a table), their table may appear to be 'free' from 7:30 to 8:30. It cannot be given away if there is another "table for two" reserved for 8:30 - it happens!

What makes tipping before a service not acceptable on Oceania. Don't see any rules about that. If tipping before to get good service is not acceptable in the dining room, it should not be acceptable to the butler. You can't have it both ways. Tipping to get tables in restaurants has been going on forever.

Let the flames begin. lol

Alex

This is very true. If I go to a restaurant and think that a tip will get me a table I have to decide if it is worth it to me to eat there. On Oceania the answer is no. If Oceania wants this to stop it's up to them to set the rules for their employes. If Oceania allows it let the money flow!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Thank you...enjoying your posts so much as we've just booked our first Oceania cruise on Insignia for next September.

Just wondering, as there was a new review from an experienced Oceania passenger online that commented negatively about the quality of food and number of servers being downgraded since NCL took over: have you noticed any changes or serious cutbacks in those departments?

Not that we're travelling to eat!!! We'll enjoy ourselves (and our VS) no matter what...but thought I'd ask as you make very fair, balanced critiques.

Enjoy!

This is very true. If I go to a restaurant and think that a tip will get me a table I have to decide if it is worth it to me to eat there. On Oceania the answer is no. If Oceania wants this to stop it's up to them to set the rules for their employes. If Oceania allows it let the money flow!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Agree if Oceania wants to stop it they should state their policy in their literature and make it clear to their staff.

You all need to take a chill pill.

To begin with, although he is no doubt too modest to say it, the OP is travelling in a Suite which guarantees him unlimited Specialty Restaurant Reservations. He does not need to tip in order to get a table.

Tipping in order to secure a better table or better service is something that exists everywhere and anywhere.

We debarked in Southampton. (Trivia answer)

The staff on the 180 day cruises are some of O's very best. Those sailing on Insignia can be assured of the most attentive and effective treatment. I have it on good authority that Leslie is even going to be there. Am certain that bribes would not be effective. Enjoy.

To begin with, although he is no doubt too modest to say it, the OP is travelling in a Suite which guarantees him unlimited Specialty Restaurant Reservations. He does not need to tip in order to get a table.

Tipping in order to secure a better table or better service is something that exists everywhere and anywhere.

I think the point here is not getting a reservation or a better table, its getting there and being told there is no space for walk in's, giving a tip and now there is space.

Agree if Oceania wants to stop it they should state their policy in their literature and make it clear to their staff.

The policy is "Reservations required" for the specialties

Some people posted that they went straight to the restaurant (without reservations) & got seated

now everyone want to do it ;)

, br

#1 The OP saw the bribe and called it such. You have no idea what category the person the OP noted as providing the bribe is staying as that person was not identified so your first paragraph is rubbish. #2 The person who paid the bribe had to wait 10 to 15 minutes for his or her table so did not have a reservation and paid for his or her table while people who asked for a reservation prior to the bribery were turned away. #3 Tipping is after the fact for good service, bribery is paid up front when the service to be provided is unknown. #4 While bribery may be the norm in Connecticut, it most certainly NOT something that exists everywhere and anywhere. End of discussion so flame away however understand in this case you are totally incorrect!

Thank you...enjoying your posts so much as we've just booked our first Oceania cruise on Insignia for next September.

Just wondering, as there was a new review from an experienced Oceania passenger online that commented negatively about the quality of food and number of servers being downgraded since NCL took over: have you noticed any changes or serious cutbacks in those departments?

Not that we're travelling to eat!!! We'll enjoy ourselves (and our VS) no matter what...but thought I'd ask as you make very fair, balanced critiques.

Enjoy!

I feel that I can speak with some authority and first hand knowledge as we are approaching our 20th cruise on Oceania - pre and post merger with NCL.

We have cruised a couple of times after the NCL "merge" - most recently a week ago.

There has been NO change in the quality of food or service that we could tell.

Do not worry about this at all and I hope you will enjoy your first Oceania cruise.

Edited by Paulchili

FE350CB7-2C87-476E-AE0E-50AC21755353-1801-0000023651818C6E.jpg

Ok, let's return this thread to its original programming. Namely, me! :)

A little over three years ago, I had the opportunity to cruise on Riviera's maiden voyage. I had not originally planned to be on the MV, it just ended up that way. (Most of you will recall the Riviera's delivery date was delayed.) Joining me for that cruise were DW (of course), DD, and her still current SO. The cruise was a celebration of DD's anniversary for being cancer free for three years. Little did we know at the time, but DD's body was already undertaking its second major fight with the Big C.

Exactly three years ago today DD ( not a fan of that abbreviation-- so I'm going to start referring to her by her given name -- Shannon), Shannon had just got out of surgery. More parts of her insides removed. More optimistic statements from the surgeon and oncologist stating they hoped everything was clear. Those of you that have gone thru this personally or with family member know that these statements are mostly hopeful thinking.

So here we are, exactly three years after that surgery and sailing once again with Oceania. Shannon has yet to fully beat the Bitch. But she lives by one daily statement: F___k cancer. There is something about sailing with Oceania that really appeals to her. She truly loves being on the these ships. Mostly she seems to revel in her interactions with her fellow cruise mates and the crew. I thank God for everyday we spend together.

Wishing everyone joy, happiness and fulfillment. The photo above is of me and Shannon from my balcony overlooking Bordeaux from a couple of days ago. Hope it attaches correctly to this post.

I remember you posting before about Shannon so sorry to hear she is still in a battling with the dreaded C

I hope she will beat it soon

Sending healing prayers her way

she is a lovely young lady

Lyn

Shannon and I thank everyone for their heartfelt well wishes. (Representing what the Critic Critic community does best!)

Smoothsailor: I can confirm Sitraveler's experience. The service on the Insignia is as good as each of our previous four experiences with Oceania. The service staff in Terraces is absolutely swarming during the breakfast service. Of exceptional notice was our dinner service in Toscana last night. Maybe the best I've experienced.

Edited by What A Market

What a Market,

Hugs to you and your daughter.

If my daughter was going through what your daughter is, I'd tip anyone and everyone that could give her a wonderful experience. Good for you!!

F**k cancer! (i taught high school and yelled this several times when i found out some of my kids had been diagnosed....didn't lose a single one of them!)