Cutting corners?

ChappChapp

Back to the issue with port changes, I don't really care why they are doing it, just that it is annoying when you are planning in advance for shore excursions and have to keep changing the times with the local guides. I am not sure I am going to be able to change the excursion time in one of the ports which means my group of 8 people may miss out on one of the major historical attractions on the entire sailing.

Whether they make money on the changes or not, or they can't get the times right at the start, it is becoming a problem for me. If it were isolated to just my sailing, I would chalk it up to a one-time issue, but it seems to be happening on multiple sailings.

I love Oceania and have been a loyal customer for over 5 years and I am sure I will have a great time on the 9/27 cruise out of Istanbul, but I don't think I will book with them again for future cruises because of this. It is just too much work to keep changing plans.

Oceania, if you are reading the posts (and you should be!), you need to get on the ball and fix whatever is going on or you will lose customers quickly!

Port times changed to save port fees. Port times changed to save fuel (on ships that sail more places than most). Port times shortened to increase on board revenue (on ships that don't nickle-dime).

All conspiracy theories from folks who don't trust the companies they choose.

Oceania has always had my best interests at heart; I trust (a huge word, today) them to continue.

Port times changed to save port fees. Port times changed to save fuel (on ships that sail more places than most). Port times shortened to increase on board revenue (on ships that don't nickle-dime).

Oceania has always had my best interests at heart; I trust (a huge word, today) them to continue.

Likewise!

An hour more or less in most places is no great loss, at least to us. Tight timing creates stress which is the one thing we don't need while cruising so we never plan to use every minute in port.

I do not think it is a matter of conspiracy, this seems to be a trend as it is happening on NCL also. Other lines I sail do not do this all the time. Once final payment is made, plans have been made it is a large inconvenience. Some might not care, others do.

"Conspiracy theories" are "New World Order" and chemtrails. A mere 5 hours in Key West is a frustrating annoyance and nothing to do with not trusting one's choice of cruise line.

Most people trusted their choice in cruise lines or they would not have chosen Oceania

Many changing are happening with O & some are not for the betterment of the passengers

I am now rethinking my choice in cruiselines

We are on the Marina Amsterdam to Barcelona Sept. 2 We are losing a total of 8 hours of port time in various ports. I heard from another CCer who said her cruise out of Barcelona on the 28th of Aug. had their port times at various ports cut 8 hrs. also. Dubai to Singapore 9/20 a total of 7 hrs. and the Istanbul to Athens cruise 9/27 3 hrs. This all seems to be rather excessive and something that cannot be explained away by tides or the port authorities or silt. 8 hrs. represents an entire lost day on a 12 day cruise. I don't really care for a discussion as to what corporate entity owns whom but this is all about making money and losing that amount of port time is something I did not sign on for.

The Dubai to Singapore cruise has lost 7 hours in addition to an entire day that was cut from our stop in Rangon. This port was one of the primary attractions for our selection of this itinerary and it was really disappointing to lose an entire tour day. The explanation from Oceania was "tides". Interestingly, none of the changes resulted in an extension of our time in port. All the port times that were changed were shortened.

How could tides cause the loss of a whole day? We are on another of NCLH company's trips in October, after final payment, and they have changed the arrival time back to NY from 8 to 10am. Some will now miss flights ect. The lines suggestion is to do luggage walk off and hurry. Did someone say just trust them!!!

How could tides cause the loss of a whole day? We are on another of NCLH company's trips in October, after final payment, and they have changed the arrival time back to NY from 8 to 10am. Some will now miss flights ect. The lines suggestion is to do luggage walk off and hurry. Did someone say just trust them!!!

Now that is just unacceptable for any line.

The Dubai to Singapore cruise has lost 7 hours in addition to an entire day that was cut from our stop in Rangon. This port was one of the primary attractions for our selection of this itinerary and it was really disappointing to lose an entire tour day. The explanation from Oceania was "tides". Interestingly, none of the changes resulted in an extension of our time in port. All the port times that were changed were shortened.

Oceania warns people about this. That is why it is very risky to book private excursions for Bagan or Mandalay involving flights.

Here is the warning... *Important Note - Due to fluctuating tides, the arrival and departure schedule of the ship is not verified by our local port agents until closer to the ship’s arrival date (approximately 1-2 weeks prior). As a result, the flights, dates and timings of this overland are subject to change. Should a revised itinerary be required, we will advise any guests who have booked this overland as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may be required to depart the ship as early as 4:00am depending on the flights we need to secure. Please also be aware that the date of the program may change as the ship will be in Myanmar for 3 days and please be aware that we may use scheduled flights, charter aircraft or both depending on what is available when we make the final reservation.

Here is the official reply from Oceania - customer service supervisor regarding schedule changes:

"As per our Marine Operations Department time adjustments were made to a majority of the remaining sailings for 2015 in order to streamline efficiency of our itineraries and operations.

This is something that is done on a regular basis annually as part of operations."

Hmmmm.......sounds like they are trying to save/make money. They say it is done annually but I don't ever recall this being an issue in the past. Too bad, not sure I am willing to take a chance on a future cruise not knowing if the ports and times they advertise are the ones I will actually get - not worried about small changes of an hour or two but some of the changes people have posted seem pretty substantial. I think I am going to write a letter to Frank Del Rio and see what he says. I hate to lose Oceania - they are my favorite cruise line.

This is a big concern. Length of time in port is one of the main considerations when choosing a cruise. The pattern here is not random but seems to be premeditated. And exactly what does "streamlining efficiency of our itineraries and operations" mean? Why don't they do that before they determine their itineraries in the first place?

This is a big concern. Length of time in port is one of the main considerations when choosing a cruise. The pattern here is not random but seems to be premeditated. And exactly what does "streamlining efficiency of our itineraries and operations" mean? Why don't they do that before they determine their itineraries in the first place?

I agree with your conclusions. When I first commented on this subject, I didn't think it was so widespread with so many ports and itineraries.

This is just the opposite of what Celebrity has done with cancelling ports and overnighting in others. Go figure!

We took an Oceania China cruise for the specific reason that it included 2 days in Shanghai.

The morning we arrived the CD came on at 7 am over the loudspeaker in the cabins, apologizing profusely, to announce we would only be spending on day in port and that the Concierge was available to try and rearrange private tours.

It appears a Chinese naval ship wanted our spot and the authorities revoked our permit to stay two days. We sailed at 7 that evening.

We had to tender into a Mexican port on a recent cruise because the authorities gave our spot to Oasis of the Seas. When we asked on shore we were told a bigger ship equals more sales in the shops and besides Oceania people get on tour buses and leave the port. Young families with kids stay in town and buy tee shirts and cheap trinkets.

So you never know what is happening or may happen.

Luckily most private tour operators can adjust.

Well I guess the last posts puts to rest the idea that these changes were due to the port officials and sudden, unexpected changes to the moon circling the earth causing tide problems. IMHO the cause is to maximize profits.

Not on as big a scale as some of you missing exotic ports, but it will be interesting to see if our Caribbean sailing will experience changes next February. :rolleyes:

We took an Oceania China cruise for the specific reason that it included 2 days in Shanghai.

The morning we arrived the CD came on at 7 am over the loudspeaker in the cabins, apologizing profusely, to announce we would only be spending on day in port and that the Concierge was available to try and rearrange private tours.

It appears a Chinese naval ship wanted our spot and the authorities revoked our permit to stay two days. We sailed at 7 that evening.

We had to tender into a Mexican port on a recent cruise because the authorities gave our spot to Oasis of the Seas. When we asked on shore we were told a bigger ship equals more sales in the shops and besides Oceania people get on tour buses and leave the port. Young families with kids stay in town and buy tee shirts and cheap trinkets.

So you never know what is happening or may happen.

Luckily most private tour operators can adjust.

That is terrible to miss a day in Shanghai. In March we got to spend a third day in Shanghai because there was fog at the river entrance. It was the clearest night we had while there. Of course our extra day meant that someone else couldn't come in.

We are purchasing a product. An expensive one at that. To most the itinerary is the important deciding factor. All of a sudden we find out that we are not receiving what we have already paid for. Did anyone get more time in port due to this unusual alignment of the moon?

Strongly agree with your last sentence.

This thread is beginning to sound like the NCL board:eek: We have only cruised for 11 years but have learned that port changes is part of cruising the world. I would love to know how many more ships there are now compared to when we began cruising in 2004. The more ships, the more space is needed in the ports.

I remember when our itinerary was changed around (Regent - not Oceania but same family) and many people were irate because they had excursions planned, etc. We learned later on in the cruise that there were 9 large cruise ships due in the port of Santorini. Had we stopped as scheduled, there would have been gridlock on this small island and it certainly would not have been enjoyable. We were fortunate that we could return to Santorini a few days later when only 4 large ships were in port.

It seems that China and some other parts of Asia change their minds all the time. We were booked on a cruise that we later cancelled due to numerous port changes (mostly time in port shortened). I have no doubt that these changes were not initiated by Oceania (or Regent) but by the port authority.

If someone has their heart set on a particular port, I would do research to see if there are typically weather problems or other issues that prevent ships from docking or tendering. There are several ports that are known to have issues - St. Barths, Easter Island and Santorini to name a few.

We are going on a cruise in two weeks to ports where there are huge issues going on. Lesbos, Greece for instance has thousands of refugees arriving there and nowhere to put them. While the port isn't dangerous, it is not a place that most tourists would want to be. We still don't know if/when the port will be cancelled.

Many times it is easier and less money to fly to the places that you want to visit -- eat out at local places -- stay as long as you like and have the freedom to make your own changes. We traveled that way for 20 years and now appreciate letting the cruise line take care of everything...... even if we do miss some ports have our time in port change. Sailing the seven seas is sometimes a crap shoot (am I allowed to say that:confused:)

Edited by Travelcat2