Cutting corners?

ChappChapp

Very disconcerting, all this. Hadn't given it much thought, but remembered what friends (now aboard Regatta's Panama Canal cruise) said last week when we met in San Francisco -- a number of their arrival/departure times had been changed, resulting in less port time.

So now I am left to wonder whether this will become policy for Oceania, or whether, as several posters have observed, this is a one-off for the first calendar year after the acquisition by NCL. We are on a 35-day Asian cruise next year, and the 17 sea days already scheduled constitute, for us, the proverbial "elegant sufficiency." Abbreviated port calls would rather defeat the purposes and the allure of the 'extended voyage' -- new adventures, new ports of call, a bounty of "first times," and the like.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. (Though administrative and other penalties click in in less than two weeks, so my waiting period is itself mightily abbreviated!)

Just a theory about this issue:

If O is making these changes to save money - and it would appear to be the case - they will make these changes on some/many of the cruises already on the books.

Hopefully all cruises that will be planned for the future will take these cost cutting measures into consideration and there will be no need for last minute port time changes - thus we will get what we hoped and paid for.

Time will tell.

If O is making these changes to save money - and it would appear to be the case - they will make these changes on some/many of the cruises already on the books.

Hopefully all cruises that will be planned for the future will take these cost cutting measures into consideration and there will be no need for last minute port time changes - thus we will get what we hoped and paid for.

Time will tell.

That would certainly be the nice way to handle the situation...I still feel that we are owed an explanation. The cutting of 23 hours of port time is not usual nor expected.

If they really wanted to be kind...they would have started the cost cutting strategy on yet-to-released cruises...not after final payment for existing cruises.

I hope everyone expresses their feeling about the loss of port hours on their comment card. Let O know that we are not amused! We paid good money for this cruise and I'm still excited about it....but I'm disappointed in their decision making.

ronrick1943: IMO, upsetting Oceania is a very poor way to get anything. Putting someone "on the spot" is embarrassing and that person does not have the ability to change anything. This is a good way to be known as a problem customer (not sure if there is such a list but they seem to know who their problem and/or good customers are).

Yikes, if one has an issue, they're put on the "naughty list" by O?

Time will tell.

I hope you are correct and I think you are. However, that brings up another issue. We sail Oceania for the itinerary and longer port times which now seem to be approaching those of the more main stream lines. We will need to monitor the port times and then start to look at other lines that provide the longer port stays.

I really do not think he will comment, I look at it this way. If I want to experience a Oceania ship I go to the Caribbean where the ports mean little to me. If I really want to see a place I take another line. What I am surprised at is the people who usually say they are in the know have not provided a reason. Do not feel bad as worse has been done to NCL customers by canceling whole series of trips to redeploy ships.

Time will tell.

Paul,

I certainly hope your optimism is rewarded. It just seems to me that if taking cost cutting measures into consideration ahead of time instead of after final payment were O's concern they would have done that by now.

But I love your attitude and knowing how much O means to you I want you to be right, not me.

Paul,

I certainly hope your optimism is rewarded. It just seems to me that if taking cost cutting measures into consideration ahead of time instead of after final payment were O's concern they would have done that by now.

But I love your attitude and knowing how much O means to you I want you to be right, not me.

Henry,

I hope I am right as well.

I do like Oceania but my loyalty is not boundless or blind. If too many things change with O, than it may be time for me to change as well.

But - not just yet. :)

That would certainly be the nice way to handle the situation...I still feel that we are owed an explanation. The cutting of 23 hours of port time is not usual nor expected.

If they really wanted to be kind...they would have started the cost cutting strategy on yet-to-released cruises...not after final payment for existing cruises.

I hope everyone expresses their feeling about the loss of port hours on their comment card. Let O know that we are not amused! We paid good money for this cruise and I'm still excited about it....but I'm disappointed in their decision making.

You couldn't have said it better. I'm with you 100%. "O" should have made changes on cruises that havn't been released to the public yet.

Rick

Something just struck me. We have an overnight in Bermuda & are scheduled to leave at 6pm. I have booked a private catamaran tour for the roll call.

My tour person came back and said according to their Maritime website we are leaving at 3:45 and recommended we start earlier. I looked and indeed we were. I called O and they said no, we stick to our port times. We might have to leave 1/2 hour earlier depending on tides for the strait but we stick to our times.

It will be a non issue as we have scheduled our private tour "in case" as the company recommended and we have enough time in Bermuda (for me) but..... we'll see if that changes. As long as the European ports don't change, that's the main thing for us.

Ten days after final payment O have notified us of the following changes on the November Marina crossing ......

SCHEDULE CHANGE - notification sent 9/8/15

01-Dec-2015 Luderitz, Namibia:

Departure time has been changed from (6pm) to 4pm

02-Dec-2015 Walvis Bay, Namibia:

Arrival time has been changed from (9am) to 10am

11-Dec-2015 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:

Arrival time has been changed from (9am) to 1pm

Nothing too drastic but still irritated that this has happened after final payment. This cruise was booked the day it was released so no excuse.

The only untouched port is St Helena.....if that changes I'll be very grumpy :mad::mad:

The positive though is that our sail in to Rio is at a more civilised time meaningful can enjoy lunch on our VS balcony whilst taking in the view. Last time we sailed into Rio was far earlier....Too early for bleary eyed me to take it all in!

It will only be an issue if they leave 24 hours early as they did on my cruise.

You have that right. As long as I know in time, I can cancel without penalty, but.....like many here, I am a planner and don't like surprises :rolleyes:;)

I confess I have been checking the itinerary daily after this thread started.

Something I have never done before on any cruise

IMO it seems pretty clear that they are making the majority of changes to the times, after final payment, so that they do not get cancellations. Ugh!!:eek:

Agree. I have decided to cancel our B2B next October. I am not going to waste my time researching tours etc and then have ports bypassed or shortened. I am losing faith in O. O was our very first cruise and we just completed #13 and have never been on another line as we were so satisfied with the product. Now we may be looking elsewhere. I do not like the formal/smoking/children aspect on other lines. Perhaps it's time for river boat cruises. We are sailing in May on the NYC-LIS T/A, hopefully there will be no unpleasant surprises awaiting us after final payment.

I have not heard the port times changing on the European cruises. We are well past final payment and our port-times are intact. I am unwilling to give up my favorite cruise experience (no kids, great food, port intensive, beautiful ships) on Oceania.

I cannot see Oceania choosing a business model that reduces port-times after final payment. This would only deplete their loyal customer base.

It seems more likely to be a temporary adjustment of some cruises following the merger.

Knowing what to expect is the issue. I know I expect free specialty restaurants, a super comfortable bed, great service, no photographers, long days in port. If we are in Portofino 8am to 11pm, or 9am to 10pm, I can plan a fantastic day.

People are much more likely to register a complaint online than to comment that all is well. I am curious for each cruise with a port-time change how many cruisers like myself have seen no change? I don't want to cry "the sky is falling" and miss a great Oceania cruise in the future.

Just received this. Ten hours of port time cut from this November cruise, well past final payment time.

Itinerary Update

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We would like to advise you of an update to your Amazon Adventure voyage on November 4, 2015 aboard Regatta. Please note the arrival and departure time changes listed below:

08-Nov-2015 Castries, St Lucia:

Departure time has been changed from (7:00 PM) to 6:00 PM

22-Nov-2015 St. George's, Grenada:

Arrival time has been changed from (9:00 AM) to 11:00 AM

23-Nov-2015 Bridgetown, Barbados:

Arrival time has been changed from (8:00 AM) to 10:00 AM

25-Nov-2015 Tortola, British Virgin Islands:

Arrival time has been changed from (9:00 AM) to 10:00 AM

26-Nov-2015 San Juan, Puerto Rico:

Departure time has been changed from (9:00 PM) to 5:00 PM

We look forward to providing you with a memorable cruise experience.

Warmest Regards,

Oceania Cruises

The last one is the most interesting: Leaving San Juan four hours earlier, changing a 13 hour port call to 9 hours. The next two days are sea days before arriving in Miami on the third day! Maybe they want us all onboard early to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner.

I have not heard the port times changing on the European cruises. We are well past final payment and our port-times are intact. I am unwilling to give up my favorite cruise experience (no kids, great food, port intensive, beautiful ships) on Oceania.

I cannot see Oceania choosing a business model that reduces port-times after final payment. This would only deplete their loyal customer base.

It seems more likely to be a temporary adjustment of some cruises following the merger.

Knowing what to expect is the issue. I know I expect free specialty restaurants, a super comfortable bed, great service, no photographers, long days in port. If we are in Portofino 8am to 11pm, or 9am to 10pm, I can plan a fantastic day.

People are much more likely to register a complaint online than to comment that all is well. I am curious for each cruise with a port-time change how many cruisers like myself have seen no change? I don't want to cry "the sky is falling" and miss a great Oceania cruise in the future.

I can't speak to other European cruises, but we were informed on September 2, well past the final payment date, that our stays in two ports (Palma de Mallorca and Monte Carlo) during our October 13 RT out of Barcelona on Riviera would be reduced by a total of seven hours with earlier departures from both.

Our port times for our cruise from Rome to Istanbul later this month has had the following changes ...

Arv in Sorrento @ 10a instead of 8a (-2 hrs) ... this after an 8p departure from Civitavecchia

Arv in Trapani @ 9a instead of 8a (-1 hrs)

Dept Malta @ 7p instead of 4p (+3 hrs)

Arv in Crete @9a instead of 8a (-1 hrs)

Arv in Istanbul @11a instead of 8a (-3 hrs) ... overnight stay; but this cuts quite a bit from the first day of touring for first-timers and is sad for those who are planning to fly out the next day.

Correction to Malta Departure ... should be the other way around ... departing at 4p instead of 7p ... (-3 hrs) ... so no gains at all.

And final docs actually show Istanbul arrival as 11:59a instead of 11:00a ... (-4 hrs from original itinerary) ... the bonus here would be the Dardanelles crossing in daylight, but that won't make up for the loss of time in the city for newbies.

Our port times for our cruise from Rome to Istanbul later this month has had the following changes ...

Arv in Sorrento @ 10a instead of 8a (-2 hrs) ... this after an 8p departure from Civitavecchia

Arv in Trapani @ 9a instead of 8a (-1 hrs)

Dept Malta @ 7p instead of 4p (+3 hrs)

Arv in Crete @9a instead of 8a (-1 hrs)

Arv in Istanbul @11a instead of 8a (-3 hrs) ... overnight stay; but this cuts quite a bit from the first day of touring for first-timers and is sad for those who are planning to fly out the next day.

Edited by h2so4

FRANKly, I'm not too thrilled with the way the that the changes to port times and deaprtures have been slipped in to the Cape Town-Rio in November....

Have the Accountants taken charge of the itinerares or do they reckon an extra couple of hours slower steaming will result in better fuel consumption or less port charges and over time for stevedores?

Either way, this appears to be happening with an alarming regularity given the length of this thread.

Time to come clean Mr. Del Rio, or whoever watches these boards and tell us why we're being sold one product only for the change to be implemanted AFTER final payment is received.

All in all, it's very naughty and frankly under hand... It has the feint whiff of "taking us all for a bunch of muppets".....

If I miss St. Helena or they mess that one up, watch this space.....

A VERY UNHAPPY customer...

PS C

Ten days after final payment O have notified us of the following changes on the November Marina crossing ......

SCHEDULE CHANGE - notification sent 9/8/15

01-Dec-2015 Luderitz' date=' Namibia:

Departure time has been changed from (6pm) to 4pm

02-Dec-2015 Walvis Bay, Namibia:

Arrival time has been changed from (9am) to 10am

11-Dec-2015 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:

Arrival time has been changed from (9am) to 1pm

Nothing too drastic but still irritated that this has happened after final payment. This cruise was booked the day it was released so no excuse.

The only untouched port is St Helena.....if that changes I'll be very grumpy :mad::mad:

The positive though is that our sail in to Rio is at a more civilised time meaningful can enjoy lunch on our VS balcony whilst taking in the view. Last time we sailed into Rio was far earlier....Too early for bleary eyed me to take it all in![/quote']

Dear Grumpy, Angry, Late-Riser:

I just wanted to say I finally took the time to figure out your screen name and it is very clever!

Donna

I have read all the posts here and elsewhere requesting some sort of response from "FDR" or "Mr. Del Rio" on this matter, and the many I'm-in-the-know comments of past passengers, such as: "Don't kid yourself, he's completely in charge," and "It was a condition of sale that Frank stay in charge of Oceania and Regent," and "Are you kidding? This is his baby!"

Okay. Perhaps. That would certainly be reassuring to most of us.

But I would like to suggest that maybe - just maybe - that might not be the case any longer. It does seem possible, and wholly in the nature and character of corporate takeovers/purchases, that what may have been true initially is no longer so. It is not without the realm of possibility that Mr. Del Rio's range of powers and decision-making responsibilities have been superseded by someone else, or by another entity within the NCL corporate structure.

Which, if true, is a very distressing development. I don't know about you, but I always felt FDR was the guy who was looking out for everyone, a sort of pater familias. I hope that is still the case. However, we mustn't feign shock if it isn't - it's 2015, and in corporate America (if not, indeed, everywhere), there is, ultimately, only one prime consideration: The Bottom Line.