2 Questions: Taking alcohol and booking Specialty Restuarants.

tbaMrsGarcia

New to Celebrity, but a seasoned cruiser: 2 questions. Please help.....

1). I heard that you are allowed two bottles of wine to be carried on board the ship the day of departure. Any truth? Or, rules????

2). We are thinking about booking some specialty restaurants for our sailing. What is the best time, and best way to do this? We are booked on a Concierge Level cabin.:)

Could you explain this. Wasn't our experience in the past. Maybe something new?

There are often discounts IF reservations are slow. First night is often the best, and you should always ask. It is not always available, and sometimes the times are very early or very late.

Could you explain this. Wasn't our experience in the past. Maybe something new?

It all depends on the length of cruise. On 7 day or less cruises the specialities get busy but on 14 night ones, you can usually manage 30 to 40% of discount. My rule is if it isn't at least 30%, we don't go.

If you have certain times and days you want to dine in a Specialty Restaurant, book it before you go. You can take a risk and wait until you get on board and possibly get a discount. You may get a day or time that you want. On our last cruise, there was little availability after the first night unless you wanted to eat at 6 or 9:30. The discount was 20% for the first night only. No discounts for any other night.

Book ahead of time to get the days and times you want. You'll have to pay for them in advance.

Get on board and talk to the people at the restaurant or one of the tables set up for specialty dining. Ask about a discount and if they give you one, mention you have a reservation already. They should be able to refund the difference to your on board account. win win

New to Celebrity, but a seasoned cruiser: 2 questions. Please help.....

1). I heard that you are allowed two bottles of wine to be carried on board the ship the day of departure. Any truth? Or, rules????

2). We are thinking about booking some specialty restaurants for our sailing. What is the best time, and best way to do this? We are booked on a Concierge Level cabin.:)

Agree with what everyone has said regarding the speciality restaurants.

With regard to taking alcohol on board would like to point one thing out, only because Celebrity seems to have one of the better policies, that I have experienced. Never been stopped by them for taking any alcohol onboard, whether a port day or embarkation day. We usually take something ‘nice’ aboard that we have collected and the most we have ever taken on embarkation day was 8 bottles of champagne and 2 bottles of red wine. No one at Celebrity challenged this.

I think, and this is what they cannot put in writing, the rules are there for the guidance of the wise and the adherence of fools… I have heard one story where someone arranged for a grocery store to deliver a very large supply of alcohol the quayside. The company, in my opinion quite rightly, invoked the rules.

The reason I’ve replied to this is that I think if you are sensible and want to take something with you then you will probably have no problems.

Stephen

From years of cruising from and to a variety of ports, there is no way a generalization can be made about carrying on MORE than the policy states. So as long as one is ok with any consequences of breaking policy, go for it..I guess.:o But no complaining afterwards.

From years of cruising from and to a variety of ports, there is no way a generalization can be made about carrying on MORE than the policy states. So as long as one is ok with any consequences of breaking policy, go for it..I guess.:o But no complaining afterwards.

What I have done in the past is 2 bottles in each luggage with luggage tags. Do you really think they track what bags are going to what cabin and how many bottle are in each. That being said, I have taken one of the bottle of wine to the dinning room and paid the cocking fee. It may have more to do with drinking what wine you like.

Agree with what everyone has said regarding the speciality restaurants.

With regard to taking alcohol on board would like to point one thing out, only because Celebrity seems to have one of the better policies, that I have experienced. Never been stopped by them for taking any alcohol onboard, whether a port day or embarkation day. We usually take something ‘nice’ aboard that we have collected and the most we have ever taken on embarkation day was 8 bottles of champagne and 2 bottles of red wine. No one at Celebrity challenged this.

I think, and this is what they cannot put in writing, the rules are there for the guidance of the wise and the adherence of fools… I have heard one story where someone arranged for a grocery store to deliver a very large supply of alcohol the quayside. The company, in my opinion quite rightly, invoked the rules.

The reason I’ve replied to this is that I think if you are sensible and want to take something with you then you will probably have no problems.

Stephen

Maybe you were sailing somewhere other than US or Caribbean. I have had local liquor taken and held until final day on more than one occasion when purchased in port. Never had an issue with taking wine or liquor when boarding, packed in suitcase. With the beverage packages, why would I need to take wine?

Corkage - From Celebrity FAQ

A: No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

There are many reports of people having to go to the naughty room to get their luggage because they packed liquor in it. The liquor was confiscated and not returned. It does happen.

Yes, I think Stephen should do a little search before he calls those who abide by the rules "fools" Many have reported getting caught.

I can't believe that after 2 years of including a drink package and now being forced to pick a perk which includes a drink package as one of the choices, their are passengers who want to risk smuggling liquor on board. I completely understand bringing wine on board as the choices on any cruise line on any given sailing are hit or miss even if you are willing to pay the price.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I can't believe that after 2 years of including a drink package and now being forced to pick a perk which includes a drink package as one of the choices, their are passengers who want to risk smuggling liquor on board. I completely understand bringing wine on board as the choices on any cruise line on any given sailing are hit or miss even if you are willing to pay the price.

For us it isn't a matter of smuggling liquor. My husband would enjoy a beer or two on our balcony. Do you think they would confiscate a six pack. Is the alternative asking for unopened beers at one of the bars and taking it to our room? We do have a drink package.

For us it isn't a matter of smuggling liquor. My husband would enjoy a beer or two on our balcony. Do you think they would confiscate a six pack. Is the alternative asking for unopened beers at one of the bars and taking it to our room? We do have a drink package.

Yes much easier to do that. We did that with beer soda and water.

We usually have a couple of glasses of wine each before going to dinner.

Once the two bottles we carry on are empty, there's no way of getting another bottle or more than a glass at a time to enjoy in our room using the classic package, right? We'd have to upgrade to get a discount on a bottle? Or go to a bar and carry a glass back to the room? I understand we could always just buy a bottle at regular price, but wondered if I'm missing something if we want to enjoy it in our room and make use of the package.

Edited by eandj

We usually have a couple of glasses of wine each before going to dinner.

Once the two bottles we carry on are empty, there's no way of getting another bottle or more than a glass at a time to enjoy in our room using the classic package, right? We'd have to upgrade to get a discount on a bottle? Or go to a bar and carry a glass back to the room? I understand we could always just buy a bottle at regular price, but wondered if I'm missing something if we want to enjoy it in our room and make use of the package.

With the Classic Package...you get a 15% discount on bottles you purchase...as opposed to the 20% discount if you have the Premium Package.

BBL

With the Classic Package...you get a 15% discount on bottles you purchase...as opposed to the 20% discount if you have the Premium Package.

BBL

Hmmm thanks. Not even the price of the gratuity. :o Guess we'll be changing our routine.

One of our favorite things to do on a cruise is sit on the balcony, winding down after a long day, nice dinner and dancing - in our robes, watching the waves go by. We do enjoy a couple of drinks while sitting out there, totally de-stressing. Maybe if the cost of a bottle of alcohol wasn't so ridiculous, more people wouldn't feel the need to try to bring something on board. My husband and I would be more than happy to purchase a bottle of rum for the room at a reasonable price. We do have a drink package. But who wants to get dressed and head out to the bar again to get a drink?