Auto tip Britainnia

rochdalepaul

We leave auto tips and often pass extra across at the end of the cruise - particularly to the Butler and Cabin Steward. However' date=' we have some cruising chums who prefer to remove the auto tips and tip directly.

During a recent cruise we shared the same Steward as this other couple and I asked said Steward if she was made aware that some of her passengers had removed the auto tips and, and then asked to hand that money into the pool. Her response was clear, she is never made aware of any passengers having removed tips and was not required to hand any tips received back to P&O.

The Steward went to great lengths to explain that the most important thing was the Q&A at the cruise end - this determined whether she received the enhanced payment or not. Effectively this was all she was concerned about.

Guess what I am asking is, those on the forum who say the staff are made aware of non tippers and, that they have to pay any they they receive from said pax back to 'the' pool, can they substantiate these statements as it seems to fly in the wind to what I have been told.

112 P&O cruises, 10 in the pipeline[/quote']

Good question. Also in my experience it is the questionnaire which determines the reward amount.

During a recent cruise we shared the same Steward as this other couple and I asked said Steward if she was made aware that some of her passengers had removed the auto tips and' date=' and then asked to hand that money into the pool. Her response was clear, she is never made aware of any passengers having removed tips and was not required to hand any tips received back to P&O.

The Steward went to great lengths to explain that the most important thing was the Q&A at the cruise end - this determined whether she received the enhanced payment or not. Effectively this was all she was concerned about.

Guess what I am asking is, those on the forum who say the staff are made aware of non tippers and, that they have to pay any they they receive from said pax back to 'the' pool, can they substantiate these statements as it seems to fly in the wind to what I have been told.

We were told the opposite, and he thanked us for leaving the auto tip in place even thou we had not told him our situation..?

That fly in the wind thingy..[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This subject just goes on and on. I do the auto gratuities. I think its simpler and expected as I think its a service charge. I occasionally tip on top for exceptional service and that is not very often.

In my opinion, of which I am entitled, anyone who doesn't pay auto gratuities or tips is greedy and selfish.

However, do I care if they tip or not? - certainly not. Its P&O's fault for not including it in the price.

Nor do I ever feel the need to discuss with waiters and stewards about their pay and conditions. Its really none of my business. There are plenty examples on this Forum where people have been supposedly told one thing and someone has been told something else.

I really wish we could stop discussing "tips" as nobody will ever change their view so its really pointless.

This subject just goes on and on. I do the auto gratuities. I think its simpler and expected as I think its a service charge. I occasionally tip on top for exceptional service and that is not very often.

In my opinion, of which I am entitled, anyone who doesn't pay auto gratuities or tips is greedy and selfish.

However, do I care if they tip or not? - certainly not. Its P&O's fault for not including it in the price.

Nor do I ever feel the need to discuss with waiters and stewards about their pay and conditions. Its really none of my business. There are plenty examples on this Forum where people have been supposedly told one thing and someone has been told something else.

I really wish we could stop discussing "tips" as nobody will ever change their view so its really pointless.

Agreed [emoji122]

Would it not be very helpful if P&O issued a statement explaining exactly how the system really works. Not holding breath though.

David.

They do its in the brochure. The tips go to the wait staff in the MDR and your cabin steward exactly the staff you would expect to tip. No need to know anything else.

They do its in the brochure. The tips go to the wait staff in the MDR and your cabin steward exactly the staff you would expect to tip. No need to know anything else.

So if they dont get good marks on the questionaire they dont get their full share of gratuities so where does the remainder go P&O dont state that in their brochure.

Can't find anything about cancellation of auto tips and treatment of cash given instead to certain staff. We get lots of conflicting theories here but the horses mouth is silent.

P&O love passengers not "needing" to know, but there is much they don't tell and obviously don't intend to.

David.

So if they dont get good marks on the questionaire they dont get their full share of gratuities so where does the remainder go P&O dont state that in their brochure.

Ok so say the range is 1-5 where 3 is meets expectation, anyone with less than 3 gets less, anyone with more than 3 gets more. So it's an incentive based reward scheme. Not saying these are exact criteria but this illustrates the principle.

I dont pay tips full stop as I have clearly stated previously.

I will always go to reception and ask for the required paperwork to remove tips

Having removed tips, I have never NOT received bad service, all the staff are friendly, happy and helpful and thats all I want from my holiday.

Somebody stated that I`m selfish for removing tips, Its my holiday... I remove tips and get on with the amazing holiday I`ve got excited to go on !!

Somebody else stated that tips form part of their wages, IF the cruise companies and not just P&O paid their staff a decent wage, then I wouldnt need to add tips on top... Must be awful travelling the world...

Absolutley not !! Why tip somebody for doing their job ?

They chose their job and the terms and conditions that come with it, as much as I did with mine, as much as the next cruise critic forum member

Its not THAT hard being a waiter and room cleaner, and before anybody says anything, I have done both jobs before I got my current job.

Personally I think a "thank you" from customer / service provider is much nicer and less crass then handing over an envelope with money in.

I had a customer say "what a delight it was to be served by you" whilst a senior manager was stood next to me, I`m continually praised for delivering an excellent service and have been recognised for my hard work by the company I work for.

Absolutley not !! Why tip somebody for doing their job ?

They chose their job and the terms and conditions that come with it, as much as I did with mine, as much as the next cruise critic forum member

Its not THAT hard being a waiter and room cleaner, and before anybody says anything, I have done both jobs before I got my current job.

Personally I think a "thank you" from customer / service provider is much nicer and less crass then handing over an envelope with money in.

I had a customer say "what a delight it was to be served by you" whilst a senior manager was stood next to me, I`m continually praised for delivering an excellent service and have been recognised for my hard work by the company I work for.

So you have worked in tipped positions and now refuse to pay tips?

You really are a piece of work!

Yes have to agree, rather mindblowing. Yes they choose their jobs, so does my hairdresser, but I still give her a tip because I earn much more than she does. Actually I still tipped when I didn't earn much.

Cruisefan, so when you worked in your tipped positions, did you refuse the tips or hand them back?

Edited by jeanlyon

I dont pay tips full stop as I have clearly stated previously.

I will always go to reception and ask for the required paperwork to remove tips

Having removed tips, I have never NOT received bad service, all the staff are friendly, happy and helpful and thats all I want from my holiday.

Somebody stated that I`m selfish for removing tips, Its my holiday... I remove tips and get on with the amazing holiday I`ve got excited to go on !!

Somebody else stated that tips form part of their wages, IF the cruise companies and not just P&O paid their staff a decent wage, then I wouldnt need to add tips on top... Must be awful travelling the world...

Cruisefan, that happy smiling face from your steward and waiter could hide a multitude of sins, in your situation I would make sure I always carried my toothbrush with me, and I would certainly thoroughly wash the glasses and kettle before each use, and I would ensure I never dined in the MDR either!!!!!!!!!!!!!....just saying.

PS By the way that Never not is a double negative, did you really mean it?

Edited by terrierjohn

This argument just beggars belief. Some leave the auto tip on, some pay with envelopes and some don't tip at all. It has always been the case I'm sure, but to say categorically that those who remove the auto tip don't pay is just ridiculous.

A voice of reason, so rare on tipping threads.

Tips included in the fare is the best solution but the bean counters would be horrified. Would adding £70 to a 14 night cruise really mean customers would be flocking to other cruise lines :confused:

If your steward gets £4 per day per cabin and services 15 cabins that is about £1800 per month :eek: guaranteed. No wonder crews on tips included cruise lines look happy.

We leave auto tips and often pass extra across at the end of the cruise - particularly to the Butler and Cabin Steward. However' date=' we have some cruising chums who prefer to remove the auto tips and tip directly.

During a recent cruise we shared the same Steward as this other couple and I asked said Steward if she was made aware that some of her passengers had removed the auto tips and, and then asked to hand that money into the pool. Her response was clear, she is never made aware of any passengers having removed tips and was not required to hand any tips received back to P&O.

We were told the opposite, and he thanked us for leaving the auto tip in place even thou we had not told him our situation..?

That fly in the wind thingy..[emoji6]

So which of you were told the truth?

Answer, who really knows?

Tips included in the fare is the best solution but the bean counters would be horrified. Would adding £70 to a 14 night cruise really mean customers would be flocking to other cruise lines :confused:

If your steward gets £4 per day per cabin and services 15 cabins that is about £1800 per month :eek: guaranteed. No wonder crews on tips included cruise lines look happy.

Funnily enough some lines seem to do just fining including it in the fare in Australia.

Would adding £70 to a 14 night cruise really mean customers would be flocking to other cruise lines :confused:

They wouldn't need to add £70 to a cruise fare. The present take is certainly less than £70 x the total passenger numbers because of Cruisefan and many other similar none tippers.

People are not stupid, most can work out the difference between a price for tips included and one not.

The only losers would be Cruisefan etc who would effectively have to pay the tips or find another cruise line. Cruise Maritime, Fred Olsen. Not an attractive alternative.

David.

Ok so say the range is 1-5 where 3 is meets expectation, anyone with less than 3 gets less, anyone with more than 3 gets more. So it's an incentive based reward scheme. Not saying these are exact criteria but this illustrates the principle.

Yes I am aware of the reward scheme but my worry is what happens to the money witheld from staff if they dont reach high standards to warrant full payment of gratuities given by cruisers that might go into P&O coffers to boost profits.