Auto tip Britainnia

rochdalepaul

Yes I am aware of the reward scheme but my worry is what happens to the money witheld from staff if they dont reach high standards to warrant full payment of gratuities given by cruisers that might go into P&O coffers to boost profits.

This is a bonus scheme and has nothing to do with the tips at all Auto or otherwise. The company do not hold any tips back. That would be theft.

Yes I am aware of the reward scheme but my worry is what happens to the money witheld from staff if they dont reach high standards to warrant full payment of gratuities given by cruisers that might go into P&O coffers to boost profits.

Why would you be worried about this when you say you don't cruise with P&O?

No, it's used to pay the higher rates to those who exceed expectation.

SteveH2508 - Thank you for the compliment :):):D:D:D

Seriously though? Who cares who pays tips and who doesnt - Just enjoy yourselves :)

Cruising is a surreal holiday experience, one I thoroughly enjoy and will continue too do - Whether I tip or not is up to me, Have always received very good service from P&O staff on the ships and when I ring up to book / inquire about something.

This is a bonus scheme and has nothing to do with the tips at all Auto or otherwise. The company do not hold any tips back. That would be theft.

How do you know that they don't hold back any of the tips ? I was reading today in the paper that the government are going to get tough (I'll believe it when I see it) with companies who do not give all of the tips to the relevant employees.

We personally always leave the auto tips on because we think that the usual service is worth the auto tips. If we get exceptional service from the cabin steward we leave a little extra in in the cabin with a small thank you note on the last morning, we leave an envelope with the extra on the table on the last night for the waiters if they have given exceptional service.

josy1953 -

Please help someone who always agonises over things like this -

What would you define as 'exceptional service'? And would you be prepared to say how much your 'little extra' is?

Edited by Scriv

To put a spanner in the works,

What if p&o do pay them a decent wage and all the tips are paid out based on the questionnaire forms, it would make sense to why they want them filling in so bad..??

Just another thought..[emoji5]️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you know that they don't hold back any of the tips ? I was reading today in the paper that the government are going to get tough (I'll believe it when I see it) with companies who do not give all of the tips to the relevant employees.

We personally always leave the auto tips on because we think that the usual service is worth the auto tips. If we get exceptional service from the cabin steward we leave a little extra in in the cabin with a small thank you note on the last morning, we leave an envelope with the extra on the table on the last night for the waiters if they have given exceptional service.

For what possible reason would anyone think they did hold back the tips? P&O clearly state what they do with them. Why doubt it? The tips you hand them obviously aren't going to be handed over.

Incidentally, we love P&O and think the service is excellent and worth the auto gratuities. It certainly isn't exceptional however.

Edited by dgs1956

To put a spanner in the works,

What if p&o do pay them a decent wage and all the tips are paid out based on the questionnaire forms, it would make sense to why they want them filling in so bad..??

Just another thought..[emoji5]️

The questionnaire is is used for the P&O bonus and that only. It must be quite good for the staff to mention it.

SteveH2508 - Thank you for the compliment :):):D:D:D

Seriously though? Who cares who pays tips and who doesnt - Just enjoy yourselves :)

Cruising is a surreal holiday experience, one I thoroughly enjoy and will continue too do - Whether I tip or not is up to me, Have always received very good service from P&O staff on the ships and when I ring up to book / inquire about something.

I think the people who care who pays the tips are the staff who bloody well earn them.

A 'surreal' experience? Really? Not really an appropriate adjective. How about superb, excellent, faultless, sublime? Surreal sounds like some out of body experience where you are abducted by aliens onboard their spacecraft but then also remove your auto gratuity.

Why can't we just leave this thread where it is now and accept that we all do it differently and will never change our minds on that.

More importantly, when tipping crops up again, can we just ignore the thread? It really does no good for the Forum.

Why can't we just leave this thread where it is now and accept that we all do it differently and will never change our minds on that.

More importantly, when tipping crops up again, can we just ignore the thread? It really does no good for the Forum.

Agreed - and maybe delete the thread?

Agreed - and maybe delete the thread?

You are quite right I think this tread needs closing down.

. This site is for people who enjoy their cruising. We should be able to offer our views, opinions and suggestion in a respectful fashion and have them received and responded too in the same manner as they are given. I personally have benefited from the site over the years of cruising with various lines, however I have only joined the P &O forum recently as we have our first ever P&O cruises booked for next year

You are quite right I think this tread needs closing down.

. This site is for people who enjoy their cruising. We should be able to offer our views, opinions and suggestion in a respectful fashion and have them received and responded too in the same manner as they are given. I personally have benefited from the site over the years of cruising with various lines, however I have only joined the P &O forum recently as we have our first ever P&O cruises booked for next year

Could you please do me a huge favour and list the cruises in your signature with just 2 side by side? Too much width messes up the page format for me and, perhaps, others?

While I'm here, we now remove our tips as we never eat in the MDR; don't pocket it, just spread it around in a different way - hopefully, even the most ardent tipper doesn't believe I should tip someone I've never met or been served by.

Hope you enjoy your first P&O cruise.

Edited by AnnieC

Could you please do me a huge favour and list the cruises in your signature with just 2 side by side? Too much width messes up the page format for me and, perhaps, others?

While I'm here, we now remove our tips as we never eat in the MDR; don't pocket it, just spread it around in a different way - hopefully, even the most ardent tipper doesn't believe I should tip someone I've never met or been served by.

Some just won't let it go. We've had enough of discussion about tipping.

Nobody really cares what you do.

Edited by dgs1956

Good point, not everyone uses a super high resolution computer screen, the one I am using is 1280x1024 pixels. If you post a reply with anything in it with a bigger number of horizontal pixels the whole topic goes off the right edge of the screen. Sometimes people post images with super high resolution which means endless horizontal scrolling, very irritating :mad: I suggest resizing any images to about 900 horizontal pixels.

ps - there is no setting in cruise critic that I know of which will cure this problem.

Hi AnnieC

Sorry if it's messing up your screen .i will make sure I unclick the show you signature box so they won't appear . I think that will be the best way to solve the problem. In not really technically minded enough and don't know much about Pixels and settings so the best thing I can do is switch them off and hopefully that will solve the problem .

Glyn

Why should I contribute to staff wages when I have paid my fare? That is P and O' problem. I do reward the staff on my terms, not ones dictated by P & O. I am against tipping, not because I am mean or nasty, but why should it be a right to receive a tip. Once again certain people want to bang their drum and show how upstanding they are. But do these people carry the same standards when home? We tend to only tip certain trades, waiters and taxi drivers. Why not all people on minimum, and some on less, wage?

Why should I contribute to staff wages when I have paid my fare? That is P and O' problem. I do reward the staff on my terms, not ones dictated by P & O. I am against tipping, not because I am mean or nasty, but why should it be a right to receive a tip. Once again certain people want to bang their drum and show how upstanding they are. But do these people carry the same standards when home? We tend to only tip certain trades, waiters and taxi drivers. Why not all people on minimum, and some on less, wage?

Because your fare excludes service charges for the staff that provide such excellent service. Same as 99% of the rest of the passengers will do in line with the cruise lines policies. We always tip 10-15% in restaurants at home and always leave a tip in any hotel we stay in. If you are prepared to cruise and not pay P&O's recommended tips then I'd prefer you didnt sail so someone else that appreciated service could travel and pay the staff the tip they deserve.

Because your fare excludes service charges for the staff that provide such excellent service. Same as 99% of the rest of the passengers will do in line with the cruise lines policies. We always tip 10-15% in restaurants at home and always leave a tip in any hotel we stay in. If you are prepared to cruise and not pay P&O's recommended tips then I'd prefer you didnt sail so someone else that appreciated service could travel and pay the staff the tip they deserve.

Like.