Auto tip Britainnia

rochdalepaul

What is the point of taking of auto gratuities and then paying the "correct", whatever that is,amount in cash seems a pointless excecise unless it makes you feel important giving waiter/steward the same amount in cash perhaps gives you a feel of grandeur.

Leaving the concept of those who don't pay tips aside - I think we are all different and some really enjoy the personal touch and it's not about feeling superior at all. Whilst I follow the P&O tipping process, I can see how someone might enjoy giving the tip personally simply to convey the degree of appreciation. I took tips off once when first introduced so I was sure the right person got them - because I care. If i didn't see the overall benefits of the new process it would always be my preference to pay tips personally - I have become firm friends with one of the waiters, we always exchange gifts and we meet when they disembark in London, so I feel I am a great example of someone whose preference doesn't conform to your assumption [emoji4]

What is the point of taking of auto gratuities and then paying the "correct", whatever that is,amount in cash seems a pointless excecise unless it makes you feel important giving waiter/steward the same amount in cash perhaps gives you a feel of grandeur.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with feeling important? I have never understood that argument. I have always felt that giving a tip is something you do in person. I tip my hairdresser. I tip taxi drivers, I tip in restaurants. It isn't part of the bill! We have been cruising for quite some years now, long before auto tips and we always tipped that way, so we continue to do it if we want.

Leaving the concept of those who don't pay tips aside - I think we are all different and some really enjoy the personal touch and it's not about feeling superior at all. Whilst I follow the P&O tipping process, I can see how someone might enjoy giving the tip personally simply to convey the degree of appreciation. I took tips off once when first introduced so I was sure the right person got them - because I care. If i didn't see the overall benefits of the new process it would always be my preference to pay tips personally - I have become firm friends with one of the waiters, we always exchange gifts and we meet when they disembark in London, so I feel I am a great example of someone whose preference doesn't conform to your assumption [emoji4]

Florry - exactly.

We leave our auto tips on but we are thinking about removing them for our upcoming cruise, I have a question re where they go. We eat in the speciality restaurants most of the time as this suits our needs better than the MDR. When we use these restaurants we tip the staff for the service received accordingly. My question is if the gratuities that I pay are shared between the cabin steward and the MDR waiting staff, wine waiter and the Maître d` what service have I received for the gratuities I have paid NONE!!!!! The definition of gratuity is: an amount of money given to a person (such as a waiter or waitress) who has performed a service. So am I paying P&O £85 in this instance for no service.

It is all to easy for people to jump to assumptions about others and think the worse of people, they don`t always no the reasons for removing auto tips. When it comes down to it is a personal choice that people should be allowed to make.

For those that get on their soap box just chill and do what suits you.

Opinions are fine as long as they are not insulting to others

Regards to all

P&W

One day (soon I hope)P&O will include tips in the cruise price. Such a better way and stops all the angst tips create

Unfortunately they won't unless the competition do so at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also don't understand why you would have the auto tip removed and then tip the stewards and waiters. Five pounds per person per day is £140 for a couple on a 14 night cruise. So you tip the steward and waiters £70 each. You might as well leave the auto tip on and if you want to tip more hand them some cash :rolleyes:

I can only think of three reasons for removing the auto tip. Either you are going to tip less, not at all or you like the 'master servant' feeling as the lowly peasant thanks you profusely for the cash you hand them, whilst cursing that they will have to hand the money into the pool anyway so why didn't the idiot passengers just leave the auto tip on.

Utter tosh

. My question is if the gratuities that I pay are shared between the cabin steward and the MDR waiting staff, wine waiter and the Maître d` what service have I received for the gratuities I have paid NONE!!!!!

P&W

Well you will still have had the service of your room steward. The solution is to remove the auto tips, therefore not paying any to the waiters and give the equivalent in cash to your room steward.

Of course if P&O then make him her hand them in there is not much you can do about it, except contacting the hotel manager and complaining.

P&O must be aware of the problem, it's about time they sorted out what is, frankly a shambles.

David.

I agree that these autotips should be included in the price. But you know what? If they did that, then most people would then feel they had to tip wiith an envelope and so it goes round and round.

we now have the situation that where you have left the autotip on, on the last night, the rest of the table are giving envelopes and you feel that you have to as well! People are auto-tipping and giving envelopes too!

Theses large cruise lines won't add the gratuities into the price as they need to offer as bottom line prices as they can . So this is actually a way to keep the bottom line price as low as they can . I'm not sure what P&O do but the RCI's , Celebrity's and the like are also adding 17 or 18% tip onto the cost of drinks as well. They also leave a space on the receipt to add more if you want!!!.

We still enjoy it so it won't stop us cruising

I tend to keep the auto-gratuities left on and then if I feel like tipping anyone above that level you can simply do that. What amazes me on many cruises is that as soon as the on board account statements are delivered to the cabins there often seems to be a massive queue build up at reception immediately after. I cannot think why this is often the case.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

It boggles my mind why people stress themselves out when on holiday about tips. The cruise line has set what they feel is the requisite amount - they make that clear to pax when/before they book (assuming the pax RTFD). It is effectively part of the cruise fare. Pay it - kick back and enjoy your holiday - no more is required.

Why all the angst?:confused:

Well you will still have had the service of your room steward. The solution is to remove the auto tips, therefore not paying any to the waiters and give the equivalent in cash to your room steward.

Of course if P&O then make him her hand them in there is not much you can do about it, except contacting the hotel manager and complaining.

P&O must be aware of the problem, it's about time they sorted out what is, frankly a shambles.

David.

The £85 I quoted is the MDR share of the £170 auto tip I will be paying on a 17 night cruise. The cabin steward in my opinion deserves this gratuity. I don`t think I should be expected to pay a gratuity for no service. I know I can lower the auto tips but then it will still be shared out between P&O`S choice of recipients ,so the cabin steward takes the loss. I do not mind paying for a service that I receive and will gladly tip for good service, what I object to is being backed into a corner.

Sorry for any confusion re the £85

Regards to all

P&W

On Britannia 3 weeks ago we were the only couple on our table of six that didn't pass over an envelope to our wait staff on the last night.

The others said they had removed their auto tip. We hadn't and there was no awkwardness from our waiters and we never felt embarrassed. Why should we as we hadn't stiffed them unlike others.

Not having cruised with P&O for 10 years I was amased how many people we spoke with had said they removed their auto tip. I also couldn't believe the consternation over the rise in auto tips to £5!

On Britannia 3 weeks ago we were the only couple on our table of six that didn't pass over an envelope to our wait staff on the last night.

The others said they had removed their auto tip. We hadn't and there was no awkwardness from our waiters and we never felt embarrassed. Why should we as we hadn't stiffed them unlike others.

Not having cruised with P&O for 10 years I was amased how many people we spoke with had said they removed their auto tip. I also couldn't believe the consternation over the rise in auto tips to £5!

As I've said previously, we have no problem with either prepaying or adding tips to our onboard account. For me it just takes the hassle out of everything (one less thing to think about) however I can very much relate to this situation as I've felt the same in the past. Sometime through the cruise I usually have a quiet chat with the waiter to make sure he/she is aware we have prepaid and they always are and I Usually make it known on the table that I've prepared. Normally with some glib remark like " I've prepared all these guys, it's so much easier than bringing extra cash and just take the hassle out of it" . After that they can think what they like. I know I've paid.

Edited by glynandkath

I agree that these autotips should be included in the price. But you know what? If they did that, then most people would then feel they had to tip wiith an envelope and so it goes round and round.

we now have the situation that where you have left the autotip on, on the last night, the rest of the table are giving envelopes and you feel that you have to as well! People are auto-tipping and giving envelopes too!

Jean, you should never feel pressured to do something just because others do, but I can inderstand why this might be an issue in club dining, which is just another excellent reason to opt for freedom dining.

It would have been very interesting if the waiters opened the envelopes at the table to reveal the contents...

Apparently waiters and cabin attendants are informed who as auto tipped because they are asked if the non auto tipper have left anything and if they have add it to the pot..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This argument just beggars belief. Some leave the auto tip on, some pay with envelopes and some don't tip at all. It has always been the case I'm sure, but to say categorically that those who remove the auto tip don't pay is just ridiculous.

We leave auto tips and often pass extra across at the end of the cruise - particularly to the Butler and Cabin Steward. However, we have some cruising chums who prefer to remove the auto tips and tip directly.

During a recent cruise we shared the same Steward as this other couple and I asked said Steward if she was made aware that some of her passengers had removed the auto tips and, and then asked to hand that money into the pool. Her response was clear, she is never made aware of any passengers having removed tips and was not required to hand any tips received back to P&O.

The Steward went to great lengths to explain that the most important thing was the Q&A at the cruise end - this determined whether she received the enhanced payment or not. Effectively this was all she was concerned about.

Guess what I am asking is, those on the forum who say the staff are made aware of non tippers and, that they have to pay any they they receive from said pax back to 'the' pool, can they substantiate these statements as it seems to fly in the wind to what I have been told.

112 P&O cruises, 10 in the pipeline

This argument just beggars belief. Some leave the auto tip on, some pay with envelopes and some don't tip at all. It has always been the case I'm sure, but to say categorically that those who remove the auto tip don't pay is just ridiculous.

Agreed!