Dominica

33Minnie33

We were so sorry to see the weather related issues that hit Dominica this past week. We are keeping all of the people there in our prayers. Our cruise on Oct. 1 has that as one of our Ports of Call. Does anyone know if Princess will notify us if that port get cancelled or changed? Looking at the damage to that beautiful island is heart breaking.

They will notify you of a change if and when a decision is reached. It could be as soon as today or as late as the day you are due their

I wouldn't expect any change in your itinerary - that's still a month away, and Caribbean folks are quite resilient. In the days since, there has been massive clean up and recovery efforts, several of the damaged roads have been cleared and bypasses are being out in place. In a month, Island will be mostly back to business....if it's unsafe or dangerous, the cruise line will switch ports, but it's way to early to make any decisions about it yet

One of the nicest islands to visit - they really are the Happy Island. Wait til you see the "port facilities" - not even a gate. Best thing you can do for them is spend some money on excursions and in the booths across the street from the pier.

We were so sorry to see the weather related issues that hit Dominica this past week. We are keeping all of the people there in our prayers. Our cruise on Oct. 1 has that as one of our Ports of Call. Does anyone know if Princess will notify us if that port get cancelled or changed? Looking at the damage to that beautiful island is heart breaking.

It would not surprise me if they still have a mess there on Oct 1st. :(

30 days is not much time to get things in order.

It would not surprise me if they still have a mess there on Oct 1st. :(

30 days is not much time to get things in order.

30 days is a lifetime in the Caribbean.... Considering that they need the roads/bypasses just for normal life, let alone tourism, I would expect then to be functioning very soon. We've all had a lot of experience with doing so over the years...one of the main roads, the Castle Bruce road to Rousseau, which was inundated from the flooding, is cleared and open....and others are following.. The island will recover, faster than you can imagine, and will be more than happy to have a couple thousand tourist visits and spend some cash there...

Hi

Many years we were on the first cruise ship into Grenada after it was flattened by a hurricane,

the people had lost everything, but they were so pleased to see us,

shops with no roofs, power or windows,

one shop I went to had no power I was dripping in sweat the shop keeper went

and got me an ice cold can of cola saying he thought I needed it, he did not want payment for it,

we bought from his shop,

I hope Princess does not cancel, they need our money but also our support and for us to tell the world what life is like there once the media moves on.

yours Shogun

'Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit pleaded for international aid, saying the damage pushed Dominica back by two decades, and he warned of more rain in upcoming days. He met Saturday with members of a newly created committee charged with helping rebuild an island devastated by floods and landslides.'

I would expect that Princess and the other cruise lines that stop there will probably send some aid like RCI did for Haiti years ago.

That is one hilly island. I'll bet most of it is impassable by car. They sure do need the tourist $$$ now.

'Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit pleaded for international aid, saying the damage pushed Dominica back by two decades, and he warned of more rain in upcoming days. He met Saturday with members of a newly created committee charged with helping rebuild an island devastated by floods and landslides.'

I would expect that Princess and the other cruise lines that stop there will probably send some aid like RCI did for Haiti years ago.

That is one hilly island. I'll bet most of it is impassable by car. They sure do need the tourist $$$ now.

Thanks for posting this. I don't think people realize the devastation there.

No way they will be back to normal in 30 days. :(

Thanks for posting this. I don't think people realize the devastation there.

No way they will be back to normal in 30 days. :(

I am very, very aware of the devastation in Dominica. I have family there, and several friends. Thank you very much.

No one is saying they will be back to normal in 30 days. Obviously. But they will be back in business. Bypasses will be up, temporary bridges will be up and people will be back running their shops and bars and Tours.

For those who want to donate directly, I'm more than happy to put you in contact with the resources.

Hurricane Tomas flattened us 5 years ago, and we're still repairing damages caused by it. However, even with the only road the circles the island washed away in several spots, killing several.folks, and cutting several.communities off - including my own - bypass roads were up in a week...and while we used bypass roads, the main roads were repaired. Ships had returned in a week. And visitors were well on their way enjoying themselves...that was in a week - with no international aid yet.

Dominica is rising to the challenge. To write them off, and the work they can do in a month, is very premature. No one says it will look like what it did before in 30 days, but they will be open for business...

I am very, very aware of the devastation in Dominica. I have family there, and several friends. Thank you very much.

No one is saying they will be back to normal in 30 days. Obviously. But they will be back in business. Bypasses will be up, temporary bridges will be up and people will be back running their shops and bars and Tours.

For those who want to donate directly, I'm more than happy to put you in contact with the resources.

Hurricane Tomas flattened us 5 years ago, and we're still repairing damages caused by it. However, even with the only road the circles the island washed away in several spots, killing several.folks, and cutting several.communities off - including my own - bypass roads were up in a week...and while we used bypass roads, the main roads were repaired. Ships had returned in a week. And visitors were well on their way enjoying themselves...that was in a week - with no international aid yet.

Dominica is rising to the challenge. To write them off, and the work they can do in a month, is very premature. No one says it will look like what it did before in 30 days, but they will be open for business...

Given your location I would be willing to trust to your evaluation of things. :) I agree with others also that they will be appreciative of the tourist money to help with their situation. We have never been there but it is "on the list" for the future. I have 16 more months to go before retirement. Once I have crossed that bridge we will able to visit many places that we haven't been able to visit while working.

No need for the flippant attitude. I have my opinions and you have yours.

I NEVER said anything about writing anyone off so do't put words in my mouth or misquote me. At least 20 were killed. Have a little respect.

No need for the flippant attitude. I have my opinions and you have yours.

I NEVER said anything about writing anyone off so do't put words in my mouth or misquote me. At least 20 were killed. Have a little respect.

Flippant? Flippant? What exactly was flippant in my attitude? Was it any of your family or friends that were cut off for the days? I doubt it. Yet it was several of ours..took until yesterday before we knew about one cousin. I think I have the highest respect, thanks very much. I also have one cousin and a brother on the Defender, which has been in Dominica delivering aid and supplies for the last two days. I have the highest respect for the situation, as I am loving quite close with it. As opposed to those sitting thousands of miles away, determining whether they can recover any time soon or not...

You said, 30 days is not much time to get things together - maybe not in your country or location, but it is a good long while here for those of us who have zero other options but to get our lives back on track. We don't have time to wait on committees or outside aid. The island has restored over 50% of power, 50% of water and roads are clearing throughout the island, with most most accessible at this point. Easily accessible? Nope, but supplies are getting through and people are digging out. There are still a few areas cut off - and arrangements are being made on how to get through to those areas, and get roads bypassed.

No one has said it will be business as usual or back to normal in 30 days. But it will be up and running and the people will be happy to see visitors who can inject some much needed aid.

Again, for anyone interested - I'm happy to supply information on where to make direct donations to help the relief effort...

Happy sailings to all.

While always amazed at how quickly all of the Caribbean islands bounce back ... but Dominica was hit so very badly. :(

Wonder if either of the cruise docks were damaged?

LuLu

We are due to stop in Dominica on October 25 on the Royal Princess. When I heard about the beating the island took from the tropical storm I wrote the managing director of the excursion company we have booked saying that I hoped he, his family and his staff had survived intact. He replied yesterday evening in the affirmative and said he would see us in October. No mention at all of any problems with the docks. I understand cancelling a port if there are serious infrastructure problems but otherwise I hope we can stop and add some cash into the economy.

Hi

Many years we were on the first cruise ship into Grenada after it was flattened by a hurricane,

the people had lost everything, but they were so pleased to see us,

shops with no roofs, power or windows,

one shop I went to had no power I was dripping in sweat the shop keeper went

and got me an ice cold can of cola saying he thought I needed it, he did not want payment for it,

we bought from his shop,

I hope Princess does not cancel, they need our money but also our support and for us to tell the world what life is like there once the media moves on.

yours Shogun

You are right with this. They need us to be there and will do everything necessary to receive us. I believe that they have reached out to neighboring islands that weren't hit as hard to get some help with the infrastructure and that will facilitate things.

We trust that we will be stopping there in November and willing to provide some monetary support as usual.

Flippant? Flippant? What exactly was flippant in my attitude? Was it any of your family or friends that were cut off for the days? I doubt it. Yet it was several of ours..took until yesterday before we knew about one cousin. I think I have the highest respect, thanks very much. I also have one cousin and a brother on the Defender, which has been in Dominica delivering aid and supplies for the last two days. I have the highest respect for the situation, as I am loving quite close with it. As opposed to those sitting thousands of miles away, determining whether they can recover any time soon or not...

You said, 30 days is not much time to get things together - maybe not in your country or location, but it is a good long while here for those of us who have zero other options but to get our lives back on track. We don't have time to wait on committees or outside aid. The island has restored over 50% of power, 50% of water and roads are clearing throughout the island, with most most accessible at this point. Easily accessible? Nope, but supplies are getting through and people are digging out. There are still a few areas cut off - and arrangements are being made on how to get through to those areas, and get roads bypassed.

No one has said it will be business as usual or back to normal in 30 days. But it will be up and running and the people will be happy to see visitors who can inject some much needed aid.

Again, for anyone interested - I'm happy to supply information on where to make direct donations to help the relief effort...

Happy sailings to all.

Thanks for the update. As expected, everyone is pitching in to support their recovery. We are saddened by the loss of life there and warmed by the attitude of the survivors.

We are due to stop in Dominica on October 25 on the Royal Princess. When I heard about the beating the island took from the tropical storm I wrote the managing director of the excursion company we have booked saying that I hoped he, his family and his staff had survived intact. He replied yesterday evening in the affirmative and said he would see us in October. No mention at all of any problems with the docks. I understand cancelling a port if there are serious infrastructure problems but otherwise I hope we can stop and add some cash into the economy.

Not having a problem with the town dock or the industrial dock is great news. :)

Hopefully, you'll be able to have your scheduled port stop there.

Those in Dominica do very much appreciate their tourist.

LuLu

I think I have the highest respect, thanks very much.
Flippant? Flippant? What exactly was flippant in my attitude?

It is this bolded phrase, (now twice used) that comes off as: "I know what I am talking about and you don't". But otherwise, thank you for your observations and input. We are all hoping that you are correct. Time will tell.

This was sent to me from friend Carolyn who set up our Dominica Cooking Experience tour a couple of years ago. She received it from Michael and Daria who conduct that tour.

Good morning.

Thanks very much for your email - much appreciated. And yes, we do remember you.

Dominica has been ravaged in a very bad way - landslides and river floods wreaked havoc and destroyed roads, bridges, and homes across the island. Upwards of 25 lives lost, and one south eastern community has been evacuated. Many horror stories.....

We were unaffected at home and are without water. We are all well.

Long road to recovery ahead......

Thanks to Carolyn for sharing this with me.

This was sent to me from friend Carolyn who set up our Dominica Cooking Experience tour a couple of years ago. She received it from Michael and Daria who conduct that tour.

Good morning.

Thanks very much for your email - much appreciated. And yes, we do remember you.

Dominica has been ravaged in a very bad way - landslides and river floods wreaked havoc and destroyed roads, bridges, and homes across the island. Upwards of 25 lives lost, and one south eastern community has been evacuated. Many horror stories.....

We were unaffected at home and are without water. We are all well.

Long road to recovery ahead......

Thanks to Carolyn for sharing this with me.

Very sad. :(