Baby born on the Independence!

C-Hill

Sorry....but taking all the risks to being on a ship at that later stage of pregnancy seems really foolish. It also makes one wonder what was reported as her delivery date - certainly 2 weeks off is not unusual...but that close to delivery makes one wonder what this person claimed.

Congrats on the successful new little one brought into the world...but in the view of many...the parents can't be the brightest bulbs on the tree for taking the risk.

Sorry....but taking all the risks to being on a ship at that later stage of pregnancy seems really foolish. It also makes one wonder what was reported as her delivery date - certainly 2 weeks off is not unusual...but that close to delivery makes one wonder what this person claimed.

Congrats on the successful new little one brought into the world...but in the view of many...the parents can't be the brightest bulbs on the tree for taking the risk.

I'm sure at one time or another there were people who thought you weren't the sharpest tool in the shed either.

The cruise line requires doctors note / clearance to sail. How did they get around this? Honestly it is a scary situation.

Princess does, as we have used them 2 times. I wonder how they fell through the system?

Edited by A&L_Ont

I'm sure at one time or another there were people who thought you weren't the sharpest tool in the shed either.

What's with you making this personal?

Clearly there are a number of people who are questioning the wisdom of this cruiser's choice.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

The baby will get something special, like Pinnacle status the rest of their life . Or what ever,.

Is this a first for a cruise line?

Talking with an usher, in the theater, this is rare occurrence but it has happened. Coincidentally, the new staff had a crew session with the Captain on the cruise before ours and somebody asked the question, "is the ship equipped for a delivery". Captain said yes but in 19 years he'd only had it happen once ~ 5 days later...surprise!

12 weeks early is really hard, but very survivable these days. My cousin has her first daughter 3 months early, too- and while there was 3 months of hospital stay, everything was perfect. Modern care is pretty amazing.

Congratulations to the parents!

The cruise line requires doctors note / clearance to sail. How did they get around this? Honestly it is a scary situation.

I believe that requirement for a DR's note stating that you were fit to travel and under 24 weeks pregnant was removed last year after a situation where a pregnant lady was denied boarding although she was under the 24 weeks. It's now an honour system for reporting.

I believe that requirement for a DR's note stating that you were fit to travel and under 24 weeks pregnant was removed last year after a situation where a pregnant lady was denied boarding although she was under the 24 weeks. It's now an honour system for reporting.

Interesting. We cancelled for October 2014. Royal wanted a note at the time. We cancelled before final payment so probably July or early August of last year.

Interesting. We cancelled for October 2014. Royal wanted a note at the time. We cancelled before final payment so probably July or early August of last year.

It was around that time. I'll take a look for it but there was a fair sized thread here when it happened.

It happened end July 2014 so Royal changed their policy Aug/Sept.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hamilton-woman-barred-from-boarding-cruise-ship-because-she-was-pregnant-1.2717375

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2076023&highlight=pregnant+denied+boarding

Posts on the last page of the thread about a Dr's note no longer being required.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The baby will get something special, like Pinnacle status the rest of their life . Or what ever,.

During the first "ask the cruise captain" chat in the promenade on FOS 8/30/15 a lady asked what was the craziest thing to happen on ship and the captain said last November a lady gave birth on ship, but that's NOT supposed to happen.

Aside from the arguments as to "how far along she was"... would anyone name their baby after the ship she was born on or some other RCCL type name? Name the baby "Radiance" for example?

That was my first thought as well. toally forgot about the 24 week rule.

During the first "ask the cruise captain" chat in the promenade on FOS 8/30/15 a lady asked what was the craziest thing to happen on ship and the captain said last November a lady gave birth on ship, but that's NOT supposed to happen.

Aside from the arguments as to "how far along she was"... would anyone name their baby after the ship she was born on or some other RCCL type name? Name the baby "Radiance" for example?

LOL - one of my cats delivered a kitten in the back seat of my car once on the way home from the vet (who had just assured me she wasn't going to deliver for at least 2-3 days). I named her Blazer.

Meanwhile, I sure hope these people had mega insurance coverage.

In 1996 I did an Alaska cruise while I was 20-21 weeks pregnant on Princess. I did not think anything of it. When I checked in, no one from the cruise line said anything. I didn't do the kayak trip I had originally planned but sure had a good time anyway. It was my third child and family was taking care of my boys, 2 and 5. Wow, never even thought that they might not allow me on the ship, or I needed a Doctors note. I asked the doctor and she said sure, why not? have a great time.....

sure hope mother and baby are doing well.

Edited by dasi11

12 weeks early is really hard, but very survivable these days. My cousin has her first daughter 3 months early, too- and while there was 3 months of hospital stay, everything was perfect. Modern care is pretty amazing.

Congratulations to the parents!

Survivable, yes... But with appropriate neonatal equipment and support. Just like you stated above, 3 months of medical care. And the immediate neonatal attention - especially for a premie like this - is critical to survival.

While I'm sure the ship stocks basics (and even some advanced supplies) for just about any medical emergency, I just don't thing the ship is adequately stocked or trained for such special needs that come with a super premie, especially when their rules are in place to prevent a situation just like this. My daughter was born 7 weeks premature 20+ years ago and spent three full weeks in the NICU. Their lungs simply are not developed at that stage, much less 12 weeks early. I'm with the majority here thinking perhaps this couple rolled the dice and decided to break the rules - the rules that were in place for the safety of the baby and the mother. We've all broken rules and pushed the line at some time in our lives I'm sure. This could've had a much different ending.

I'm glad the baby was born safely and that mom and baby are safe. Hopefully this scary situation will help confirm to them and others why rules like this exist.

Edited by Sherri914

is that a US rule? born in the US=US citizen?

I thought is it the norm that the baby follows citizenship of the parents?

Sendt fra min GT-I9295 med Tapatalk

google: anchor baby

there is much discussion with the upcoming election about ending this practice. it has become quite controversial.

I got off the Independence today and didn't see any notice of this on the threads.

Early Tuesday morning, September 1st, a baby boy was born on the Independence! We were docking at San Juan that afternoon & the captain announced, mid day, that we were moving at full speed for a "medical emergency". We arrived at 2pm, 2 hours early, & 3 ambulances came to the pier.

Mother & baby were loaded separately and then another (unrelated) emergency was also loaded in an ambulance at the pier.

The captain announced what had happened (to clapping and cheers) & then on Saturday, it was announced that mother & baby were doing well & had been transferred to a Florida hospital. The family was from Utah.

All's well that ends well!

Why 3 ambulances???

Did mother and baby take so much space?? [emoji3]

google: anchor baby

there is much discussion with the upcoming election about ending this practice. it has become quite controversial.

Really but why if mother and father is from another contry? Would the mother and father be able to become US citizen too ?

Then people can just go to US and give birth. Weird rule ??

Why 3 ambulances???

Did mother and baby take so much space?? [emoji3]

They said mother and baby were loaded separately and there was another emergency.

Most likely mom and baby got separate ambulances because there would be a LOT of equipment and probably specialty personnel from the hospital needed at least for the baby, and possibly for mom as well.

I am a labor & delivery nurse and I have often seen people come to the U.S. a few months before delivery to have their babies here. If the baby is born here the baby is a U.S. Citizen. They stay for a few months after delivery and then go back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a labor & delivery nurse and I have often seen people come to the U.S. a few months before delivery to have their babies here. If the baby is born here the baby is a U.S. Citizen. They stay for a few months after delivery and then go back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or arrive in Canada for the same reason.

Back to topic....still wondering how this happened. Did mom not know she was pregnant? The rule about traveling after 23 weeks has not changed has it? i am all for baby moons but only in the relative safety of the U.S. if you are a U.S. Citizen. If you travel anywhere after 24 weeks you must accept the risk that you may deliver early there. It happens all the time even after seeing and getting your doctors ok to travel.

As a Nicu nurse it terrifies me to think of a woman delivering even a 28 weeker on a cruise ship. On a plane you can quickly land and get the baby help but on a cruise ship if could be many hours. Since they have the no travel rule I am guessing they do not stock expensive equipment and supplies to care for someone so small. Without proper equipment even knowing what to do doesn't help.