Favorite or Must-See Museums?

BBMacLaird

Does anyone have a favorite museum, or a newly discovered museum, to share with us?

I wrote this short blog recently on the Museums of the Low Country (which the editors simplified to Museums of Belgium and The Netherlands. Perhaps that's more correct?)

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/int/blog/museums-belgium-and-netherlands

Does anyone have a favorite museum, or a newly discovered museum, to share with us?

I wrote this short blog recently on the Museums of the Low Country (which the editors simplified to Museums of Belgium and The Netherlands. Perhaps that's more correct?)

this is a little broad.. what part of the world etc.. i loved the ones in Bergen. four for 100 koner. i also was told and will to go to the one in Hobart called Mona. you go by fast ferry.. to many in london to name.. so please give us whee

Not sure where you want geographically but I would highly recommend the D-Day Museum in Caen, France and, for train buffs, you can't beat the National Railway Museum in York, England.:D

My favorite museum visit? The Guggenheim in Bilbao, Spain. In 2011, we booked Azamara Journey from Lisbon to Rouen. One of the ports that we were excited about visiting was Bilbao, since we wanted to go to the Guggenheim Museum there. Once we booked, we were disappointed to discover that the ship would be there on a Monday, and the museum was closed that day.

....but not for the guests of Azamara. Azamazingly, we were able to book a shore excursion to the museum, with a private guide, and had the museum all to ourselves.

The National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC; The Jacquemart-Andre in Paris; The Pergamon Gallery in Berlin; oh, and the Cleveland Art Museum. Does any cruise ship go to Cleveland? Will there be an AZamazing Evening in Cleveland?

The National Anzac Centre in Albany, Western Australia. A moving and poingnant museum which is dedicated to the Australian & New Zealand troops who left from Albany to head to Europe to fight for King & country during WW1. For many the beautiful Princess Royal Harbour and King George Sound were the last they saw of their homeland, falling on the battle fields of Gallipoli or the Western Front, so far from home. It is interactive, and you get to follow the journey of a soldier (one who was really there) during his time at war. Built on Mt Clarence it gives a wonderful view over the sound and harbour.

The port of Albany itself is a beautiful rural city, the oldest in Western Australia, which retains many original heritage buildings (rare for WA) making it almost a living museum ;), with gorgeous coastlines, access able wineries and an enviable lifestyle.

Cruise ships are beginning to visit with increasing frequency, to this beautiful and relatively unspoilt region of Australia.

Edited by wangeling gal

Here are a few museums we have enjoyed on our cruises:

Miniature Railway Museum in Hamburg

Oceanographic Museum/Aquarium in Monte Carlo

The Viking Long House in the Lofoten Islands (Svolvaer), Norway.

The Hanseatic Museum in Bergen

Sagrada familia, Barcelona

And, we are very much looking forward to visiting the Salvador Dali Museum on our Western Med cruise (Palamos) coming up in a few weeks.

My favorite museum visit? The Guggenheim in Bilbao, Spain.

Agree with you fascinating museum, other we have visited and enjoyed either at home or on cruises:

Tower of London

Science Museum in London

Oil and gas museum in Stavanger

Plus many, many more

Generally, and unfortunately, I tend to get museum "buzz" if the collection is too large for my poor brain to handle.

Thus, the Musee d'Orsay (Paris) and the Ufizzi (Florence) are favourites.

But I must admit that, even though it's imposing in size, I love The Tate Modern.

I hate trying to see "everything". In a city or in a museum - I'll pick the few things I want to see and read up on those (in cities, I love to do walking tours - architecture being another love:p) Trying to see everything in one visit is just crankiness waiting to happen for me, so I avoid it.

The Hermitage, The New Acropolis Museum (and the old National Archeological Museum) in Athens, The British Museum, and, close to home, The Getty Center and the Getty Villa (I volunteer there and it is close to my heart.) All the museums in Washington D.C......I could go on and on. Too many museums...not enough time!

I've been to the greatest museums in the world, but the most memorable for me was the smallest in Rudesheim, Germany (a river cruise stop in the Rhine) called Siegfried's Mechanical Music Cabinet Museum.

Tastes vary so widely - that museum creeped me out;) And I tend to prefer "non-art/painting" museums - archeology, engineering, natural history etc....

The City Museum in Winchester, a surprise and a delight. We incorporated a stop during our transfer from LHR to Southampton, pre-cruise 2014. We saw some Olympics events being aired on a giant screen outside the Cathedral, and discovered this little gem of a museum on Market St. It is small, beautifully laid out, an absolute treasure trove of colorful exhibits and lore - and an ideal way to slip into vacation mode prior to embarkation.

Thank you, Bonnie, for asking this question!

There have been so many good ones - for so many reasons. But my current #1 would be the main museum in Shanghai. So much to see, we were there for 6 hours. And it is free!

Hoping to see the museum in Suzhou this trip. Not so much for the artifacts as for the architecture. It was designed and built by I.M. Pei. Stunning.

generally, and unfortunately, i tend to get museum "buzz" if the collection is too large for my poor brain to handle.

Thus, the musee d'orsay (paris) and the ufizzi (florence) are favourites.

But i must admit that, even though it's imposing in size, i love the tate modern.

+ 1

My favourite is the Vasa Museum in Stockholm

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

Built around the wreck of a ship which sunk in Stockholm harbour on it's maiden voyage in the 17th century. The wreck was preserved in the mud and the detail of the ship can be seen at close hand.

I was at the Vasa Museum shortly after she was raised. In some respects, it was better than as the museum was filled with preservative mist and while you could not see as much as you can now, what you could see was really eerie.

DON